La Quinta at Quail Valley Golf Course

Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Caddies: No

Dress code: Men: Must wear collared shirts. Tee shirts and tank tops are not allowed. Women: Must wear blouses with a collar or sleeves. Tee shirts and tank tops are not allowed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.9 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries

ruler's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

"Good value for $25!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017

Pretty decent track. Nice layout, lots of water. Only disappointment: greens were too slow.

Commented on 03/02/2017

Thank you. Indeed, with a classic layout that features smaller greens, we tend to keep La Quinta's greens a little longer. The grain in the Bermuda grass can be tough! Hope to have you back.

"A fun course to play"

elk062's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

This was the first time I played the La Quinta course. The fairways are large and wide greens were nice size as well.

The fairways were in good shape for winter time the rough wasn't too thick.

Green's had good grass on theme but were very slow.

I would play it again.

Commented on 02/24/2017

Thank you. We look forward to having you back. Give the El Dorado a try sometime too.

"Greens in good shape"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017

Over all a good experience, for playing the first time I would have liked to see better hole markings and signage.

Plenty of restrooms available and saw the cart girl twice, a little confusing knowing where to check in and where to go, but other than that a good experience!

Commented on 02/20/2017

Thank you and we really appreciate the feedback detail. It helps us to make improvements and adjustments.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2017

Commented on 02/13/2017

Thank you. Hope to have you back soon.

"Not a 4 star course"

sjc7649's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2017

I played this course with a friend at the end of January 17, I never played it, and booked it on golf now based on the 4 star rating, and reviews, and was very disappointed, with a 5 star the highest you can get, you would think 4 would be just below PGA quality. That's not what we got. The course itself should be a 2 at best. The tee boxes were beat up, they had maintenance going on in the fairway, the greens weren't nice.. I would give 1 of them 3 stars the rest below, and one of the fairways , I think 15 was so bumpy we wish we had 4 wheelers instead of a cart. Oh and also they have power lines blocking your approach on I think 16... we drove 2 hrs to play this course expecting something nice like a moody gardens or the wilderness the real 4 star courses for this area. So bottom line it's more like a 2 star course and we definitely won't be coming back... we're just happy that when we called golf now to complain they did what they could to make things rite

Commented on 02/08/2017

We apologize your experience didn't come together, driving 45 min from League City. Reviews are based on personal metrics, so we do everything we can to help all kinds of guests and their respective expectations enjoy themselves at Quail Valley. It seems like we didn't manage to help your group have fun and enjoy the value… again, for that we apologize. The up and down weather has been tough lately. You mentioned you won’t be back, but we hope you give us a try. We continue to be the best value/experience around the SW side of town.

"Not a 4.5 star course!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2017

Me and a friend played the la quinta course and we were very dissapointed. Uneven tee boxes. Extremely bumpy fairways. Greens..... Only 3 holes that i would consider maybe 3 stars. Course maintanence was also being done without notification or signs posted. Like not regular grass cutting maintenance. No sand in the bunkers just hard packed dirt.

There is also a hole that has several powerlines going accross the fairway. No way around it, you have to play over them and they are directly in the way of your approach shot. Driving range was not exactly in tune as well. All in a all a waste of time and money. Nice pictures online and on the website so we thought it would be worth the drive. Its not a 4.5 star course.

"Not a 4 star course"

sjc7649's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/27/2017

Beware reviews have beeno trolled... course is a joke

"not too bad"

pakalz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

old course shows signs of needed attention, still a good place to play.

Commented on 01/30/2017

It's a classic. Thank you Pakalz. After updating El Dorado a few years ago, La Quinta is queued for an eventual refresh. Thanks again.

"Hidden jewel"

dramatic1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2016

I had a great experience, from check in to finish. The course is well maintained and enjoyable. My cart died but I was able to hook up with another single and continue on. May be time for new carts.

Commented on 11/20/2016

Thank you and we appreciate your patience with the cart that lost power.

"Great value"

systemkid5's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2016

Especially if your a beginner. Fairways are generous and greens are in good condition. Parking is awkward being across the street. Great value for you're money

Commented on 10/26/2016

Thank you for the review. The parking next to the clubhouse can fill up quick in the morning. Hopefully you return to play El Dorado as well. And if you do, please note that we have a bag drop circle you can drive into next to the cart staging area and drop off your bag if you wish.

"Pace of play good"

tzhogan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

For the green fee price the course is good. Greens were real bumpy but not bad for the amount of play this course receives.

Commented on 09/09/2016

Glad we are a solid value for you. Given the value aspect, how could we earn another star?

"Customer service"

clsmith68's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2016

I booked my round for four players through GN. We arrived early, checked in, loaded our clubs and preceded to check in with the starter. I give the starter my recite and tell him out tee time.

Then the starter says he will fit us in.

as he began to write our names at the bottom of a waiting list I glanced down and noticed that he scratched through our typed names on the tee time and placed three other players in our place. I said you placed someone else in our tee time

spaced. He said don't worry about it.

Needless to say we had to wait for two additional groups to tee off.

I understand if the course is running behind but I don't understand being placed on a waiting list and watching other groups tee off at your tee time.

If this is the standard what purpose does it serve to book online and pay booking fees

Commented on 08/16/2016

Thank you for the review. We apologize for the miscommunication. Weekends can be stacked and our crew does our best to manage slow starts or weather delays. In this case, it seems our started could have explained the delay-shift a little better. We hope the rest of your round and day was enjoyable. If you have a moment, we'd like to discuss with you. Please call us and ask for management.

"Quality course for quality price"

mconklin101's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

I booked the round last minute and paid $26 each for a group of 2. The course is in great condition and didn't have one issue with the course. In comparison to other courses around Houston I don't think you can beat the price for the quality of the course.

Commented on 08/24/2016

Many thanks. Hope you've played both courses. If not, please come on back!

"Decent Value"

Fourjacker's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

The rating of value depends on how much you paid to play. We used Golf Now and paid $26 before fees. At this price, the La Quinta course was a decent value. The La Quinta course is one of two 18 hole courses at Quail Valley, and clearly it is the least desirable of the two. Most of the grounds keeper's effort goes to the El Dorado course. Even still, the La Quinta course provided a good layout and lots of green grass playability.. Some of the greens were encroached upon by patches of a foreign strain of bermuda that became furry to putt on, and made for an unpleasant putting experience. Other greens were just fine. Tee boxes were pedestrian but functional. Fairways had good grass. Great for $26 bucks but for much more, I would seek the El Dorado course.

Commented on 07/24/2016

The detail is much appreciated. We’re working on both courses equally. Being a more traditional layout La Quinta requires a little more effort but we’re on it after all the rain followed by the relatively dry weather recently. With a moniker like “Fourjacker” we can see why some patches of an intrusive grass can frustrate, but we hope you make it back out as we work on it.

"Enjoyable Golf"

sarwillie's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Quail Valley has gone through many changes over the last few years. I think the best change has been the staff. They are now real good and friendly people. I don't care for the food service staff and services. They need to be improved to catch up to the golf staff and services.

Commented on 07/24/2016

Thank you for the comments and we care about the feedback. We're keeping an eye on things and will review F&B practices.

"Good Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2016

Great pace of play, never saw a group in front of us for the entire day or felt pressured from anyone behind. Only downfall to the course condition was the greens were recently punched and still filling in. Other than that, the fairways were in great shape and the tee boxes were ok as well. Would play again after some time for the greens to recover.

Commented on 07/13/2016

The greens were in excellent shape before the punch and we're hoping to keep that good mojo going with them. They are starting to come around and should be solid again soon. Come on back! Thank you.

"Tough Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Though this is not the best of the two courses (El Dorado is much better), this course does present a challenge to me. I am an 19 handicap golfer, but just can't get below 100 on this course. There is still a lot of St. Augustine on the course and the sand is hard and compacted, but it really is a nice course to play. The greens rolled fast and are in good shape for July.

Commented on 07/13/2016

Classic layouts can be tough with smaller, elevated greens. The greens are indeed on solid shape and we're working on the sand and st augustine after all the rain. Thank you for the feedback and coming out.

"Nice Course"

edward3754815's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2016

This was my first time playing the course. I was a little confused as the 9th hole doesnt end up back at the club house. The course was in very good condition and the greens rolled great. Overall, the course is great, however, the 18th hole is probably the worst layout I've ever played.

Commented on 06/21/2016

Thank you for the compliments and playing Quail Valley. Apologies for the 18th hole - it can be a brute with the smaller landing area off the tee. Let's say this was your practice round and you'll beat it up next time. Hope you come back soon.

"Course needs TLC"

lamessina's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

first time to play here. Played LaQuinta course. Hot and buggy, no fault of the course. Greens pretty good,, fairways fair in the short grass, bunkers mostly unplayable from rain. not sure I'll hurry back.

Commented on 06/21/2016

It's been another tough year with the weather, but we think we've "weathered it well" you might say. Hope you make it back. All the rain was provided a good density of grass to get the course really green and good if we can get some consistent weather patterns. In the least, you should come back to play El Dorado. Thank you for coming out!