Potomac Shores Golf Club

Silver 72 5790 yards 68.9 132
Silver (W) 72 5790 yards 75.2 143
Jade 72 4940 yards 65.2 126
Jade (W) 72 4940 yards 70.4 133

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include undulating greens elevation changes bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Good course, nice layout"

Roger9458896's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

Always fun to play a Nicklaus design ... nice elevated tee shots ... difficult approach shots to many elevated greens. Was surprised that front nine yardage is approx 400 yards shorter than back nine. Very solid par 4's and good par 3's; par 5's a bit shorter than normal requiring strategy and placement and target golf. Greens were terrific and very true. Staff at the course were very professional and provided a country club atmosphere ... nice job!! Will definitely play again!!

cmagman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

"P Slows"

cmagman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

Long round, not a marshal to be seen all day, course was crewed up, and rock hard greens. At one point 3 there were groups on a par 3.

For the cost you would expect more attention to the golf course and pace of play. Would have been nice if the staff acknowledge this at least. The group behind us called it quits after 12, I would have headed in but wanted to play all 18 on such a beautiful day.

"Excellent Course"

Peter6281716's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

We really enjoyed the challenge of the course. We judge a course by the fact that it makes you think. This one certainly does. The comment made by a golfer earlier that it would be good to have some knowledge of each hole so that you know where the trouble is and the distances from you is very valid. I don't know whether the Pro Shop sells yardage charts as first time golfers at this course certainly need that advice. The course was in good condition considering the recent rain and the Greenstaff on course and the lady on the drinks cart were extremely courteous. The lady at the bag drop and the gentleman in the Proshop were also extremely courteous and very helpful when we arrived. The indifference of the person in the restaurant when we went in for a bite to eat before playing golf and the abruptness of bag drop man when we left somewhat soured the day but we were there to play golf and our visit to the golf course itself was well worthwhile.

"Love this course"

Michael3143467's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

My hat is off to Jack for the design of this course! Every hole presents a new challenge whether it is lie angle, bunkers and any other thing you can think of. Unlike other courses in the area, the challenges are perfectly placed to come into play for almost all skill types. This course forces you to be a better player regardless of the tee box. Love it!

"Cost and value- not there"

johntcostello's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017

Played with a buddy and a couple guys they grouped us with, thankfully our playing partners were familiar with the course and landing spots to guide us. I expected gps on the cart for the price.

I also was quite miffed when we finished and we're going to go hit some balls to work out our kinks and help a newer golfer sort through his swing, staff said we weren't allowed. I had just handed the staffer 5 bucks for cleaning up the sticks and seemed odd.

I promise it's never worth $117 for a Saturday morning round given the many other options around the area.

I give credit to the course design and conditions but left disappointed based on cost and them not letting us go hit more range balls. Also didn't see the cart bev service much and their is not a halfway house.

Last thing, left my # at pro shop bc my putter cover fell out of the cart and no call back.

"recommended"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2017

Course is on its way to being one of the best tracks open to the public in NOVA. Excellent layout that rewards well executed risks and punishes poorly executed ones. I played on 6/3/17 and the course was in rough condition- sand everywhere, airated greens, flooded bunkers etc. received a $25 voucher to replay(unprompted). Glad I returned. Course is in fantastic condition after only a few weeks.

My only heartburn is with the grounds crew. Both times it seems that they like to hang out on the tee box or down by the green of the 15th hole(short par 3). Now the course is spread out over a pretty big area. So big it's not walkable. You would think if you're going to take a break you'd do it somewhere more discreet. Nope, 15 yards right of the green with a big utility cart or on the tee box. There were several flooded bunkers on the course with feet of water in them, maybe break near those? If management tweaks the etiquette of its employees it would go a long way.

Pros- challenging course with a majestic view. Several large elevation changes that are uncommon for the area. Course has grown in well, previous complaints about turf/green condition have been remedied. Clubhouse is fantastic, cart girl is considerate and attentive.

Cons- not cheap, pace of play can suffer due to difficulty. Would never attempt this course on a weekend. Many bunkers were placed without drainage in mind and are now small lakes. Millennial grounds staff with nothing to do will likely be your gallery at some point during the round.

At the end of the day I'll play here again. If you shoot over 90 on a good day at a municipal course, you may want to save your money on this beast. Hitting anywhere on the green here isn't good enough. If you're on the wrong side for the hole location, a bogey or worse is likely. If you're an advanced to intermediate golfer looking for a challenging, scenic and fun track, this is the course for you.

"Stunning"

Golfhakker's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

Had the most fun on a golf course for the first time in a long time! Had heard this course is very challenging so my group decided to tee it forward today as to keep pace somewhat as best we could. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our round. The greens, tees and fairways are in immaculate condition! Staff were extremely friendly from the man at bag drop to the lady on the bev cart everyone greeted us with a smile. Would highly recommend this course to my friends and colleagues.

Will be back!

"Management issue?"

gvoight's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

This is a very good and very scenic golf course. It's a Jack Nicklaus design and is very challenging. It's a shot maker type course as there are several carries over trouble, and almost every green is elevated and well protected by sand bunkers. I happened to have a pretty good round, and truly liked the course and the challenge. When we played (Sunday, May 28, 2017) the course was in reasonably good condition, although the greens had many not-repaired ball marks and sand traps were not well sculpted. Some were not raked. However, the fairways and roughs were in good condition and the cart paths were well maintained. Our biggest issues were lack of adequate signage between holes, and even some confusion on the location of the 1st hole. We got lost between the 2nd and 3rd hole (no signs) and had to ask the group behind us for directions (there are long distances between holes). We let that group play through so we had someone to follow....which was a good thing as there were other opportunities to get lost. Another issue is shot placement. There were no aids to indicate the best place for a drive, or how to play the hole. Given the price for greens fees there should be at least a map, and probably a book for player guidance. As these should be easy fixes our conclusion was that this course has a possible management issue.

Visited May 2017

Commented on 08/16/2017

Good review. They do have a yardage book available (I got mine on May 14th, so it should have been available when you were there), so there are answers to the issue you had with shot placement etc.

"Great layout, almost every hole is "private""

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

I’ll preface this review by pointing out this was the first time I had played with accompanying media and, despite my protestations that it shouldn’t matter who you play with, it was an interesting experience because of that. He was there reviewing the course as well, my story was in addition to that, so I wasn’t the complete focus like later rounds, but still, it was something different and probably effected my overall experience moreso than my play.

We played the relatively forward silver tees which were well under 6000 yards and rated at 68.9 which was the lowest course rating of the 51 rounds I played on this trip. None of this contributed to a good score however, and I barely managed to stay below the mason Dixon line of 90 (carding a dog-fight-grind of an 89).

While I didn’t have many shots to write home about my best shot of the trip was on the par four 12th; a 188 yard 7 iron through a tiny gap in the trees onto the green. Which brings me to my first point about Potomac shores, there is no shortage of opportunities to make a phenomenal shot. Many holes offer risk/reward options and very often a so-so shot can be made up with a fantastic one. Having said that, it is worth noting that attempting that fantastic make-up shot can be particularly damaging to your score here, as there are a lot of areas where you simply aren’t getting your ball (or much distance) back if you fail to make the shot and a blow-up hole can quickly ensue.

Potomac Shores is a shot makers dream, and I’d love to play again (in fact I plan to play again) when I’m actually striking the ball well. I believe there is a real opportunity to post a low score here. The greens are generally well protected; both by approach angles as well as bunkering and elevation change.

The signature par five 10th hole is a beauty and a Nicklaus classic with an island of trees and long grasses splitting the fairway on your downhill approach shot. Placing your tee shot well is critical to having a reasonable second shot and setting up your approach. On a positive note, this hole is as scenic as it is challenging and, visually, you will love it the whole way. I was there in the spring, I can’t imagine how pretty it is in the fall.

Arguably my favorite part of Potomac Shores is that it is a trail of holes (one hole simply leads to the next) that progresses in a giant loop. There are almost no holes side by side, and even the few that are close don’t create a presence that is felt at all. I felt alone on the course all day. There are some long jaunts between holes and, as such, the course requires players to ride in a cart. As much as I prefer to walk, this is a good decision as it would simply take too long for groups to walk from one hole to the next in certain places and really effect pace of play.

Another unique feature is that the 18th and practice greens are on the same putting surface. From the 320 yard silver tees I played, your drive will probably get you close enough that you won’t feel intimidated by people warming up on the green you are hitting into. However, if I had been faced with a longer approach shot (e.g. from the 400+ yard back tees) this may have given me a moment of pause. For me, hitting a little wedge shot from about 85 yards, it was fun.

I found the staff very friendly and helpful all around, the only thing that I thought could really be improved was signage on the course. I picked up a yardage book in the clubhouse and it helped a bit; however, without it I think the decision on which way to drive after the first hole would have been a coin flip at best. Overall I thought this was a very nice course that played a little tougher than its rating mostly because the cost of an error is a little steep for a 68.9 (although, to be fair, this is probably adequately represented in the slope of 132).

I’d recommend this course to anyone in the area and intend to visit again when I get the chance.

"Unique Layout"

Golfer9112's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

Beautiful course with a layout that can be compared to no other. While the hole-by-hole layout is splendidly conceived by Mr. Nicklaus, the hole-to-hole layout is quite strange with walking the course an impossibility. Elevation changes are rampant throughout. If you move the ball from left to right you'll love the course as 8/18 holes are dogleg right.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

"Great Course and Staff"

jdtepper90's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

It's a beautiful course and the staff there is great. The course layout is challenging and it helps if you have local knowledge as trouble lurks on some holes if you hit your drive too far. The only negative is that the turn does not go by the clubhouse so grabbing food at the turn is not an option. Besides that, awesome course.

Th

"Still has some work to do for the price charged"

redlegbob's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

Since the community is still being built, the course has some construction going on which detracts from the scenic value of playing along the Potomac River. If you plan on warming up on the driving range, get there plenty early as the range is a long cart ride from the 1st tee box - easily 5 min. No one told us the greens had recently been aerated so putting was not as true as I'd like. Biggest drawback on my play day was that there was no water on the course during a 75 degree day and we only saw the beverage cart twice during the entire round of 5 hours.

"Poor course conditioning"

Foregeorge0604's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

I realize that it's early spring, but the course looked more like a construction site than the photos on the web site. The site indicated that aeration took place in late February, but the course looked more like the aeration took place a week ago. The areas around the greens are in various states of repair also.

i appreciate the course layout, but there are unmber of blind tee shots. Finally, to get to the practice range, you are directed to drive past holes one and two. The directions for returning from the range (for those who listened to directions) take you up a sidewalk and down the road and into the parking area of the club. While not ideal, wouldn't it be better to have people take that route both ways, avoiding the disruption of players on holes one and two?

"Horrible Conditions / Snobby Members"

Jerome74's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

I had waited a long time to play this popular course. It was $50 on Tuesday morning, which I thought was reasonable. I failed to read the fine print about the aeration that was being done. The entire course had huge holes including the fairways! The greens and fairways had lots of sand. The course should not have been open. I played as a single because I was paired with a twosome and one of them arrived late. I was being patient but when he got there he needed to hit some balls and said "just let him go by himself". So based on this attitude from the snobby member I went out alone, to a new course, exactly what I told the starter I didn't want to do. The layout was challenging but I would never go back, not worth the money, and the lack of explanation regarding the conditions is just plain wrong.

"A challenging new addition to DC area golf"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

Definitely on par with Laurel Hills in Lorton or even Raspberry Falls minus the staff expertise. The course offers amazing elevation changes and vistas. However, the Potomac River is not easily seen belying the course name. Aeration took place recently but was happy to accept a coupon for a discounted round later in Spring as recompense. A must play for the serious Capitol Region public course golfer.

"Best Public Course in NOVA"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/22/2016

Great layout. It's a long and tough course, but the holes are picture perfect and it was in great shape for late December. Can't wait to play it again.

"Great design"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016

Course was in good shape for late fall. Greens were very fast. My only complaint was the driving range is too far from the clubhouse

"Great layout, friendly staff, excellent grill room"

Erick6002319's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016

This was my third time playing Po Sho. Conditions are excellent thanks to an attentive grounds crew. It is a challenging golf course, but not as brutal as the previous Jack Nicklaus designed courses.

I pulled up to the curb, opened my trunk, and an attendant snatched up my clubs and loaded them on a cart. Check-in was fast and efficient. The driving range was in good condition, and the range balls are included in the greens fee.

It was a busy day, the parking lot was full. We didn't have to slow down for a group in front of us, or have a group on our heels. It was as if we had the golf course to ourselves.

The food in the grill room is a significant step up from the typical golf cafe, and the food prices were reasonable.