Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort

4.5200000000 4.5 stars from 5 (25)

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

"Amendment to review"

1bjoyner's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2017

I would like to amend my earlier review from 10-31-17. We brought our concerns to the director of golf (Mr. Downs), and he listened fairly and responded appropriately. While I recommend calling before playing over the next few weeks, I have confidence that if you speak with Mr Downs, you will be treated fairly and receive straight answers. And I repeat - the layout is beautiful.

"First time playing Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort"

lobbyvol's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

A fantastic golf experience! Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort in Hilton Head, SC was a first rate experience from the range to the course to the 19th hole meal and beers at the clubhouse. It rained the entire day before our round at Atlantic Dunes, but the course played like it had been dry the day before. This course is in excellent shape right now and was very challenging, but fun for a beginner golfer like me. My father in law and I played as a twosome and the pace of play was excellent throughout our entire round. The course had just been through some maintenance but the greens were still in very good condition. Lots of sand on this course and I managed to find most of it, but still had a great time. Great practice facilities and a wonderful clubhouse made for an excellent overall experience. I will definitely play Atlantic Dunes again the next time I'm at Sea Pines.

"Perfection!"

Filthy20's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017

Beautiful. Not the hardest, or best, or whatever you want to say - but it was gorgeous and a lot of fun to play! This place is first class inside and out. I'm looking forward to next years trip!

"A+ Atlantic Dunes!"

Cristian3237750's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

The old Ocean Course Sea Pines has always been a classic but the redesign has actually improved one of the best courses on HHI. Conditions were A+ - like country club, pro tournament A+ . Tees, fairways, rough, waste areas, bunkers, and greens all perfect. Really. Great playable layout wont kill you like Harbor Town (even though also great) will. Facilities are also top notch here with a beautiful clubhouse, locker rooms, restaurant, etc. Honestly just a great experience. The only negative is the lack of GPS on the carts which for the $$$ to play here you should have. Other than that, A+ Atlantic Dunes keep up the great work! Will definitely return!

"Better than it was"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

I must say that even though to the naked eye you don't readily see a ton of changes on the front side, Davis Love III did a great job redesigning the old Ocean Course. You really see changes on the back nine like the change of # 10 becoming a par 3 over water and 11 turned into a short par 4. The bunkering and the new green complexes are spectacular. I would highly recommend you put this course on your itinerary to Hilton Head.

"Harder"

Ben7920813's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017

Played the old Ocean Course many times, I like most of the improvements. Some of the new greens are 'gimicky' with big mounds in middle. New #10 is good. From the back tee, all the par 3's are roughly same yardage which in my opinion is poor design...more variety would be nice. Last 4 holes are awesome. Nats were the worst ever. Facilities first class. Great walking course, just be careful of play behind you when you're walking to or playing from the tee. New bunkers look great.

"GPC & HJK Road Trip"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Course not very appealing. Tee boxes, greens & fairways very dry. Course layout not interesting or enjoyable.

"Poor course info"

mcpeen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017

POSITIVE :Nice layout. Greens very nice and ver fast. Staff was very friendly. Lots of bunkers. Nice driving range and practice facilities.

NEGATIVE: This was the first time everyone in our group playing this course. For the rate they charge, there is no GPS...no picture of the course on the scorecard......no even a picture of each hole on each hole marker........had no idea where a good spot to hit it on each hole. Some blind tee shots.....I find that ridiculous there is at least no picture.........for first timer it was very frustrating. There also was a 3some appear in front of us on the 10th fairway when we came to the tee......and they were walking! They let us play through after 3 holes........but still never should happen. We were right behind the group in front of us. Course was a little dry in the fairways and tee blocks, but they hadn't had much rain lately.

"Really slow"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Booked course for a 2pm tee time on Golf Now. Got to course and tee time was pushed back to 2:24 And I know why. Had a mini tournament going on and couldn't even finish round. Paid good money to play a well designed course and waited 5 minutes or more on every shot. Had 4 1/2 hrs in and had to leave on 13th hole. Brutal..

Heron Point was much better and played that in 4 hrs.

Really should have warned golfers before sending out. It was not a good experience.

Kathleen9684693's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Beautiful course, great experience. Greens were challenging but sometimes too tricked-up to be fun.

"First Class Facility"

Mikmos916's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

I was extremely eager to play this course after it was redesigned by DL3. It lived up to everything I imagined. The amenities were great, free range balls, premier putting greens and an awesome clubhouse. The course is worth every penny and I will be playing it again this summer. Lots of sand and water on the course. Hole 15 is breathtaking with views of the ocean and beach. #17 wrecked my scorecard with water along the right and behind the green. We were a little late getting started due to a frost delay but the staff did a great job to keep it moving.

"Atlantic Dunes"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017
Previously played Walked Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This is the classic case of " Bait & Switch " pay in the pro shop then when the starter states " You guys are up next " he tells us oh " Cart Path Only " why ? our policy !! the fairways were dry, the Masters isn't being held there next week ? what gives ? check this before booking !

I didn't mind walking although after going to the gym in the am legs get a little tired on the back nine.

"Best Round on Hilton Head yet!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Played as a threesome so we were held up a little as was expected. App of our group are seniors >65 but found the course very enjoyable from the gold tee boxes. Highly recommended.

"Attractive Upgrade to Ocean Course.....terrible value"

csritchie's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017

Davis Love and co. spent tons of money to attractively update the old Ocean Course which needed new grass and better greens. However, it's still the same old track except for a few holes re-configured on the back nine without overall improvement. The Spring price is now $165 which is way over-valued for the experience. Would not be surprised if Sea Pines has to come back and re-work the greens like they did on Heron Point to make them playable.....these are basically not playable and too goofy-golf ish for lag putting and getting up & down. The heavily added bunkering is impressive aesthetically but just adds time and unnecessary difficulty to the round for all on the course. Beautiful track; not worth the money or aggravation.....

"Staff is great"

Daniel6467846's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

The staff is awesome at this course. Every where we went the question was asked if it was our first time there and then they proceed to give us great insight. Awesome course to place for sure.

"A must play"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

Davis Love did a great job massaging this course.

I always liked it before his work, but now I would say everyone should put it on their "bucket list" to play.

Big greens, generous fairways made it very playable for all. (lots of sand though, if you don't like traps)

but the traps are in great condition and very playable.

"Big Change"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

I have played the old ocean course numerous times and this is a huge improvement. Essentially the same layout, but everything else a lot better. Great condition for February . A little overpriced.

"Great experience"

zsolomon10's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. The course is in terrific shape. I had a very good experience overall. Cannot wait to play this course again in the near future.

"DL3 did a great job"

tony68golf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

I agree with most of the other reviews. The layout hasn't been changed too much from the original Ocean layout. All changes made were positive. I had played the old Ocean course many times. All the turf and greens were replaced with new grasses that are similar or th he same as the Harbor Town course at Sea Pines. The sand traps were also all redone. I was not in a trap during my round so I can't rate them except visually. Playing in Feb it was t hug E only course I played that was actually green from tee to green, yes! 8 holes were cart path only because of rain the night before. I loved everything. I got a slight discount adjustment when I checked it. I played crazy good because the whole course was in great shape. The greens were very hard and fast requiring careful club selection for approach shots. Greens were true and after some adjustment I found the fast greens preferable. Be careful of the 17th green. It's big but it slopes away from you and has no backstop. The water is right there with a wall like an island green. Even a slow rolling ball can easily roll over the green and into the water, that really needs to be addressed. Got a $20 discount coupon for my next round at any of the three Sea Pines courses.

"Nice redo!"

realasudxgift's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/10/2017

This was my first time playing the course since it was redone and renamed Atlantic Dunes. The course was very nice. The routing has pretty much stayed the same. Not a lot of change to the front 9 in my opinion. The bunkers were redone and the greens made larger. But the holes pretty much remained the same. The only major change I noticed is that the par 5 9th had been lengthened by pushing the green back all the way to the edge of the water. On the back there are more changes. 10 is now a mid length par 3 with 11 being a short, narrow par 4. Some huge bunkers were added to the left of 14. 15 is the ocean hole and it was totally redone. Now it is waste area from tee to green. The green was raised to give you a better view of the Atlantic. The deepest bunker on the course is to the right of the green. I ended up in it. It was over my head. Took me two swings to get it out. Then the two finishing holes have been switched. 17 is now a par 5 and 18 a par 4 with huge sand dunes surrounding the green. All in all a fun course. Great service and a great clubhouse. Just be warned that the greens are new so they are a very hard and fast. This made it hard to chip and hold approach shots. Plan on playing it short of the pin.