Cottonwood Golf Club - Ivanhoe Course

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

championship 72 6764 yards 72.6 126
Regular 72 6445 yards 70.5 116

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals walkers beginners   Challenges include undulating greens   Great for drinks

"Great deal"

uENJW2504EN's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

Such a sad thing to see this venue in such a state. I hope the owner invests enough money to get it back to its former glory.

"Ivanhoe"

ssanchez73's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

The course is not bad and the price beats all the fall prices in SD. The greens are ok, not too bad. I always enjoy playing here. It's a tough course and long from the whites.

"cottonwood"

spineault's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

not a lot of hazards but overall the course was not in

very good shape. almost areas had not been cut in sometime

"Inproved"

Dennis1954's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2017

Course conditions were greatly improved since the last time I played here.

"Failing"

uENJW2504EN's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2017

I am so sad to see this great facility sliding down. I have enjoyed playing here for several years and it hurts to see the course struggle to survive. My hope is that the new owner invests enough to bring it back to its former self. The staff does a wonderful job of keeping players on a positive attitude but they can only do so much. A marshal and a beverage cart would really be a good addition.

"Course great, restaurant shameful!"

Tiamaria's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

Course is looking much better. Carts are good and staff always very nice. It's too bad the kitchen is rarely even open anymore. Yesterday there was a cook but he had a very very limited option to cook and serve. They just don't seem to keep any food stocked? And they were out of any diet sodas. Really?

"Missing the Lakes Course"

Tonynst's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

Pro Shop told me that the rate through Golf Now did not include the cart fee, so I had to pay additional $12.

It was OK but I think that this course is over-rated without well-maintained fair ways and the Lakes course, which

has been already closed. I have played here many times. I still miss the Lakes.

"Less than expected"

thomasschutz's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I used to play Cottonwood years ago, but was very disappointed in the conditions and the pace of play. We spoke with the Marshall several times and nothing changed. When we made reservations with GolfNow, I called and they told me the course was in great shape due to the new manager. When we arrived, we were told there was no one ahead of us and the course was empty. They went us off as a 3-some and put a 2-some right behind us. Turns out we had several 4-somes ahead of us, and the group several holes ahead was very slow. Again, Marshall did nothing to speed up play. Course was in somewhat poor conditions....greens were very slow and full of ball marks and scuffs...someone ahead of us had very heavy feet. Tee boxes were uneven and with little grass. Water coolers had water, but no cups. Overall, the course could use some love and some attention if they want golfers to come back. We were told that 3 groups had the same t-time we had, as well. Just an FYI.

"Sub Par"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

They had multiple people booked on tee times and Marshall wasn't helpful speeding up. They also don't have a hole layout so you are shooting blind if it's your first time. You can tell course hasn't had any money put back into the amenities. Course Bathrooms are a hazard so unless you have to go I suggest holding. Ball washers are beat and some are empty that's is IF you're lucky and at a hole with one. This course is only great if it's an off time and you can fly through it. I've been twice and will never go back. Like wise for the cost, $54 for AM weekend tee time, there are better options that are easier to get to.

"What an improvement!"

u000001971129's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2017

The off-course facilities have been pared back but the course itself was markedly improved from what we've come to expect at Ivanhoe over the last few years. The fairways were healthy and the greens ran smooth and lush. The layout has always been excellent but a lack of maintenance and even simply watering had let the course deteriorate. Maybe, the closure of Lakes has allowed the staff to concentrate on Ivanhoe but whatever the reason, you can see the improvements and on-going repairs/maintenance paying off. Gee, this review looks like I work there but I'm just an local old-timer who has played Cottonwood/RSD since the 80's and seen it up and down. I play a lot of different courses but Ivanhoe is definitely back in the rotation!

tcarv67's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2017

"This course is run down."

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

Ownership is figuring out to develop this land since he took ownership. Keeping one of the two courses open (barely) at this time. Very poor course maintenance. A ball just off fairway turns into an golf ball hunt. Thick ruff has not been mowed in weeks if not months. We quit after 9 holes due to beginners, and groups of 5 & 6 players creating slow very slow play.

Sorry to see this happening to a place where I have played several times and enjoyed many fun tournaments. It was never the best but was a good affordable round.

Prices should be half of what they are changing.

"Slow pace"

koodo's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

This course lately allow 5 players in a group

more and more often and also let other twosome or threesome to follow them. Those arrangement

is not right to control pace of play.

"CONditions"

landzone's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2017

There were 2 courses here not long ago. With financial

doom pending the lakes course was closed. grounds keeping stopped aprox one month before it was closed. The Invahoe course is looking similar to how the Lakes course was neglected. Hit your ball in the fairway and the grass is the length that the rough should be. Clean contact is not possible. Some of the fairways have so many leaves you may not find your ball. The rough is 8 inches long

and finding your ball will be difficult. On the bright side while looking for your ball you may find a ball or two that someone else could not find. If you are running a golf course cutting the grass is part of the job. I hope this was a one time problem.

"Nice"

jdavis10's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

The course is in the best shape I've ever seen it and the rate of play was the best. Closing The Lakes seemed to help things.

"Stay on target"

u601978028's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

As many already know, the course is under new management. Here's my take on the results so far, starting with the bad so I can finish on a positive:

The Bad

The staff reductions are significant. I usually play in the afternoon and like to enjoy a beverage and one of their excellent quesadillas after my round. The bar & kitchen closed in the late afternoon (before 5 pm, although I could still get a cold beverage from the fridge at that point). When we were done with the round, there was at least an hour of full daylight left but the course was effectively closed. This isn't a deal breaker, but it is a bit sad since there was a very nice vibe to the place before these cutbacks.

The Neutral:

The Lakes course is closed. This is a non-issue for me since I didn't really like that course. If this business decision results in a better experience on Ivanhoe, I'm all for it.

The Good:

Although smaller in numbers and reduced in hours, the staff was extremely friendly, informative and helpful - they always have been. I wouldn't change a thing about who they are - just give them some more hours!

The Ivanhoe course is coming around. Over the last year or two, they had some strange "mining" operation going on in the back 9 - seriously a huge pit in the ground. I don't know if it was clay or gravel or what. That looks like it's finished now.

But more importantly, they are watering the grass again. The fairways now look like they could be used as a wildfire break instead of a wildfire ignition point. This, I believe, was mostly out of the control of the ownership and more a result of the end of the drought. In any case, it's nice to have my best drive of the day resting on green grass than on hard dirt.

The greens were in decent, not great, shape. I don't blame management for this since most of the problem stems from unfixed ball marks - a common problem on inexpensive courses. My missed putts were the result of poor strokes, not poor greens.

The carts are newer or, at least, refurbished. Ours rode quite well. They now have ice chests and they were, overall, in good condition.

Obviously, this is not an expensive course, nor should it be. However, in terms of value, it is almost impossible to beat. I hope the new business model is successful and someday the clubhouse will re-open during the late afternoon hours. I really miss those quesadillas!

"on a budget"

harddraw's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

Ivanhoe has a good basic layout. Financial problems keep the maintenance to a minimum. The few employees they do have are nice to deal with. Hopefully, the new ownership or management group can bring it back up to a good standard. We played for a very low price so value is the only reason to play there. Don't expect more.

We would go back except we had to deal with a few groups in front of us that played as five. They play there everyday and when we asked could we play through, we were told we might hold them up (we are two better than average players.) They were pretty rude. We just drove to the back side and played it first. So if you go out early in the day at Ivanhoe, be ready for fives. If you're on a budget, play there, otherwise look for other options.

"This is a good course for practice."

dickpatrick's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I enjoyed the round and the greens were pretty good. The fairways need seeding.

"Ivanhoe used to be great"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2017

The photo of the hole for Ivanhoe is of the 11th hole on the, now closed, Lakes course. The course is really beat up. A lot of mole and squirrel holes along with bare dirt spots. The rough is inconsistent and the greens go from fair to really bad. This is really a shame and you can see it in the parking lot. Almost completely empty.

Commented on 08/23/2017

Did you actually play last week? Im thinking of playing Saturday but if Ivanhoe is still this beat up after they closed the Lakes I will have to pass

"The new Cottonwood?"

Lazarus34's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

As many know this course is under new management and since it is my local course, and I often play there, my expectations are high. With the sale of one of the two 18 hole courses there and the reduction in staff I am anxious to see just how management will improve. Thankfully the guest staff have remained to continue the service that we have come to know. Anxiously waiting !