Mountain View at Callaway Gardens Resort

Caddies: No

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes undulating greens

"The course is in great condition"

Bob6284259's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2017

We played early afternoon when the heat index was 106 so we had the course to ourselves. The course is in very good condition, the tall Bermuda ruff made you keep the ball in the fairway and the greens are perfect. Staff was very friendly

Commented on 08/07/2017

It sounds like you had a great time and the course to yourself. We hope you are able to come out and play again soon, perhaps when its a little cooler. Thank you for your post.

"Nice course but needs more water coolers in July"

Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

This was a really nice course but we played it in July. Even starting at 8am the temperature became unbearable after the turn. There were no water coolers on the course and the cart girl was nowhere to be found. The cart had a cooler but I didn't think I would need to use it, because surely there would be water at every other hole at such a nice course in July. There wasn't! I finished with a massive headache and minor nausea. Unrelated, the pimento cheese sandwich was delicious, but don't get two like me thinking it won't be enough. They're huge!

Commented on 08/07/2017

Thank you for your post and your constructive feedback. For future visits, please know the cart begins at 9 a.m. and was out on July 2nd. We aren't sure why your paths didn't cross. Also, when you make the turn, not only is water available inside the Pro Shop, Champions has a walk-up window open on weekends to make it a quick stop. We definitely agree that there needs to be water available on the hot, humid days of Summer in the South. We hope you will play again soon.

mbgiddens's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

Commented on 07/27/2017

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed playing golf at Callaway Gardens. We hope to see you again soon.

"Amazing Georgia Golf Gem"

Lance1121864's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017

This is one of the most beautiful GA golf courses around. It's amazing tees, fairways, and greens superb. You have to go!

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for your playing Callaway Gardens' Mountain View course and your kind words. We appreciate them very much and we hope you are able to play at Callaway Gardens again soon.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for your post. We apologize that you didn't feel the value was there. We do hope that you will try us again in the future.

Tsbplayer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Commented on 06/09/2017

We are glad to hear your round was 5-star worthy. We hope you can return and play again soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2017

Commented on 06/09/2017

Thank you for your great review. We are glad you were able to play and hope that you will return soon.

"Well Worth The Drive!"

witkr16's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

This classic Dick Wilson design was a joy to play. There are virtually no homes on the course,; just the beautiful forest, lakes and challenging but fair holes to view.

The greens were firm and fast,, rolled well and had little grain to them. Take about a half a club more into most greens because most of them are raised with beautifully-tongued bunkers surrounding them as well. There are a couple of par 5's that I would like to go back and play again (6 & 11) where you have to be careful to avoid the water that is not in full view.

I can see why they played the Buick Open here! You know its a great course when you can still remember all the holes days after playing them.

Commented on 04/17/2017

What a great compliment. Thank you for taking the time to come play and to post about your experience. We hope you are able to come play a round again soon, or try the Lake View Course.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Commented on 04/17/2017

Thank you for your post and review. We hope you are able to visit and play again soon, or try the other course - the Lake View Course.

"Key to scoring here lies in approach shots, navigating sly greens"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

The Mountain View Course hosted the PGA Tour's Buick Challenge for 12 years between 1991-2002, and you will see very early in the round that the bones of a Tour-caliber course are still present. Front and center are the greens. The Champion Bermuda putting services are firm and fast. Most approach shots required a few yards of release. I didn't find them particularly grainy, but as the weather continues to warm, that could change as they become a bit denser. The slope in these greens are very subtle, but pins can be put on downslopes and the rollout can make you look silly if you aren't careful. The best example of this was the par-3 17th hole. Though only requiring a 125-yard shot, the green is pitched from back to front, rather severely in the first third. I hit my tee shot about a yard higher than pin-high right, about 15 feet away. I knew the putt was going to swing violently from right to left, but it was hard to match the line with the speed. I'm not sure it could be done! I barely breathed on my putt and it missed low and rolled 15 feet to the front of the green. Bogey City. After holing out, I went back and tried the putt again. This time I missed on the high side but achieved the same result. A third try, hit softly uphill away from the hole, stopped four feet above the hole. I hit a good shot, but did not have enough course knowledge to scrape out a par, and I have no problem with that. My tip? If that pin is in the front third of that green, play short of the green and putt or chip up the slope. The other Tour feature is the large, deep bunkers that burnish grass tongues. The sand quality was excellent. The fairways were wide, even though the fairways are all tree-lined. It is hard to get in trouble off the tee here. Though this was the first day of Spring, the fairways are emerging from dormancy and were a bit thin, but I still found them to be very playable. I imagine that much of this course's defense off the tee lies in the thick Bermuda rough that I suspect can get pretty lush in the heat of Summer. That said, this is a second-shot golf course. Though most greens were of average size, some of them were small - notably the par-5 11th's - and accuracy and distance control is at a premium. Knowing where to land the ball for roll out and where the treacherous slopes are that can carry approaches into collection areas off greens can be tough for a first-timer. I particularly liked the par 3s, especially No. 3. It is among the most fun shots on the course. After the opening hole eases you in, you begin a fabulous stretch with the uphill par-5 second, the aforementioned par-3 third and the short, dogleg-left fourth. The fifth hole is a bit pedestrian but don't sleep on the approach. Miss long or left and you can make a big number. The signature par-5 sixth is next and is beautiful. Another tip: Be aware of how far you are to the hazard in front of the sixth green on your second shot. A blind 3-wood could find it. It is best to favor the left side of the fairway on the second shot, as everything flows down and to the right. My criticism with this track lies merely in the two holes that close the front side. They are rather bland and straight-forward with massive fairways. In conclusion, this is an excellent value on a historic course. Navigating the approach shots and the tricky greens make this course worth playing.

Commented on 04/17/2017

Thank you for your visit and very thoughtful review. We hope you are able to visit again soon, or try the Lake View course.

Plays:  Once every three months

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for your visit. We are glad to hear that it was a satisfactory visit. We hope you will return and have a 5 star experience.

Gary4529262's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2017

Commented on 03/06/2017

Thank you for playing at Callaway Gardens and for your kind review. We hope that you can find an opportunity to play again soon.

"Best golf resort in georgia"

Keith0709's avatar
Georgia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played here with a friend and played the lake view and the mountain view. This review is the Mountain course. The course was great and customer service was great. The practice facilities where nice and I liked the clubhouse the restraunt was great. And the pace of play was great 3.5 hours. The course was awesome the fairways were very lush and the greens where rolling quick. The rough was very thick and your ball basically just disappeared. My favorite hole was etheir the 8th or the 14th hole. There where a lot of bridges on this course and many lakes, ponds, and streams. I couldn't believe how good the weather was on Thanksgiving 75 degrees. After your 36 holes on lake and mountain view then go to the restraunt up the road that serves Thanksgiving food.

Commented on 03/06/2017

It sounds like you had a great experience outside on the course and inside at the buffet. Thank you for your kind review. We hope you can play here again soon.

"This is a great course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2016

Played the Mountainview Course and it is in excellent condition.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Thank you for your visit and post. We appreciate your kind words and hope that you can return to play soon.

"Beautiful challenging course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2016

Great layout.. Must aim for either left or right side of fairway and play the slope. Greens great. Rough was deep and punished you, as it should.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Great comments. We thank you for your visit and post, and hope that you will return again soon.

"Fantastic Greens and Fairways with challenging bunkers"

Chipshotlh's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Course is in immaculate condition. Greens and fairways are in fantastic shape. They could add some more water on holes as when we played it must have been in the mid to upper 90's, and lots of water was needed. Pro shop is fantastic, and staff were very accommodating.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed the course despite the temps. We'll share your comments with the pro staff.

"Beautiful Course"

pbureau99's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Course is in excellent shape. My only minor complaint is that I wish there were more yardage markers on the sprinkler heads.

Commented on 10/12/2016

We are glad that you appreciated the course. We hope that you can return soon. We'll share your comments about the yardage markers.

"Green Conditions"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

The greens were in terrible shape! Sandy,dry, missing grass and they had aeration holes throughout.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Thank you for your comments and your visit. We had just aerified resulting in the holes that you saw. The greens are currently perfect. We hope you will come play again soon.

"Play condection"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

Greens and fairways of the state is very good , very satisfied yiyeotda games.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Thank you for your post. We are glad that you enjoyed the course. We hope you can visit and play again soon.

"Callaway Gardens Mountain View"

mcglynnjf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/30/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course layout is challenging due to length, some over hanging tress and well guarded greens. Quite a few deep bunkers surround each green and some of the greens were on the small side. Tees in good condition, fairways in good condition and spacious. Greens rolled true and very quick for down hillers. Other than driving it crooked all day my main issue was chipping. Areas around the greens have very tight lies and are damp resulting in either fat duffs or thin runners. Great set of par 3's, two short and two long. Good score can be shot. Can't miss course, would like to play the other side someday it appears linksish from street view driving inn.

Commented on 03/01/2016

Thanks for the great review. We appreciate your taking the time to give a thorough statement. We hope you are able to play again soon.