Gleneagles Golf Club

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017
First time playing Walked Wet weather Verified Purchaser

benholein2's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017

"Fun, tricky local course"

Rshone92's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2017

Walked the "front" 9 on 1/28/17, a week after a month or two of steady rain. I heard bad things about the conditions here during last years drought - but since they started watering last yr and the recent rains, the fairways and greens are in good shape (with the except of a couple greens). Hopefully they can maintain this grass condition through the season, or possibly get even better?

Overall, great cpl hrs on a fun course. The real gem here is the price, course layout/views, and character. For a round that's <$25 with as much variety as this has, you can bet I'll be back a handful of times when I want a quick, cheap, challenging round of golf.

3.5/5 given all things considered, I'd recommend it to a friend but this is a polarizing course - some may find it too tricky, others may find it too "run down". I personally loved the unique combination of traits.

"Gleneagles 8/8/2016"

rockawayjay's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2016

Another casualty of San francisco's blanket drought watering policy. Barren wasteland fairways. More sand on cart paths than in the bunkers. Difficult layout. when I started at 11:00 am I was the only player in the course. Quite hilly. Great potential if only they would water more.

"Why bother"

Sfkjeld's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2016
First time playing Walked Played 9 holes Average weather

Worst course I have seen. The word "challenging" should apply to complex holes, not a totally run down course. Does not appear they even attempt to water large portions of the fairways. Most greens are barely playable because they are so chopped up. I don't think many courses would tolerate practice greens in this condition. There was probably one ball washer on the entire course. Tees were poorly marked. No one cares. All courses are challenged by the water shortage. But this place has mostly thrown in the towel. There must be a condo development plan in the works.

"Local Vibe"

JamieLyn2613762's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2015

I found this course challenging and enjoyable. The fairways are on the narrow side, so you really need to focus. The conditions were muddy but that's okay because we need the rain.<br/> As for the "club house". The second we step foot in there, I felt extremely welcome. It gave me the same warm feeling you get at a ski lodge; social, chatty, comfortable. It's a Cheers bar; where everyone knows your name. We liked this vibe so much that we joined as members the second time we played. (Only $120/yr).

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"This is a Neighborhood Track"

David7896024's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

In maybe the roughest part of the city, so perhaps a little intimidating to some driving in haha (myself included :) but once you're out there on the course you'll be fine. They don't have much of a budget for water, as the city upped the water bill by 40% a year ago ---- So the only part of the holes that get any real love are the greens for the most part, which are in good shape surprisingly (fast, hard packed).

If we get some rain, this place will be a GEM - believe me! But to be frank, I'd say until then, you might want to find alternatives unless you're ok with hitting off a hard pan.

I REALLY WANT TO EMPHASIZE that this course has all the potential in the world though. If we get some rain, you NEED to try this place out, I'm telling ya! If we get some rain this winter (PLEASE GOD) you bet I'll be back to play this course for four reasons:

1) Fair Price<br/> 2) Above Average Greens<br/> 3) Some Really Nice Dog Leg/Hole Setups<br/> 4) Good Challenge/Exercise

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"It was like hitting off concrete"

Teddonage's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2015

First of all golf now said I was buying 18 but it was actually 9 so that's on golf now but they let me play 18 anyway. The course conditions were the worst I ever played on. The "fairway" is hard dirt with some grass which somehow grows here and there. It is a shame I hear it used to be a nice course.

"No Tee Times"

teskechr's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 9 holes Average weather

Booked a tee time only to show up and be told that I couldn't go out on the course for 2 hours because a "tournament" was in progress. The course appeared to be relatively empty at this time.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"nice lil hide away"

Badjohnny69's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2015

Fairways were mushy and kind of beat up, but greens were very nice. Tricky lil locals 9 hole coarse, don't think I'd be in any hurry to return though.

"Humility"

mdmde's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2014
Previously played Played as a single Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I play this course every once in awhile because it's so difficult. I am happy if I get 1 par. Then, when I play<br/> Another course, I feel I am better. It's a real litmus test. Thanks to the rains, there's a lot of grass once again. It's hilly , so you get exercise.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"best shape in many years.."

kelgar's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 9 holes Good weather

Its pretty clear that the previous neg. reviews have issues with staff or the operator. The course is in really good shape, better than its been for quite sometime. There is a huge benefit to course knowledge, if your a first timer your in trouble unless your playing with regulars. The group in front of us hit two-three times at each tee. The course is hard, get over it or play some other wide open flat course.. like Flemming. Easy to get on, rarely do you have to wait or need a tee time to play. GlenEagle is a great course for above average players.

"Summary"

sodagolf's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 9 holes Fair weather

The course: The staff and regulars here won't waste any time letting you know how difficult it is. Unfortunately, the overall conditions are poor. Obviously the drought has much to do with it but that is the reality of the situation for many courses which have been able to handle it.

Staff friendliness: The staff and regulars should let go of this weird Gleneagles aura/complex they've built up over the years.

Price: I'd rather pay $38 for 18 holes on a real course than $19 for 9 holes.

Recommendation: I'd recommend it as a novelty experience. See if you get the same experience that many people get when they try it for the first time. Like having trouble finding the place or trying to figure out where the "proshop" is. Listen for someone blabbing about how difficult the course is or asking if you brought enough balls. Then, as you watch your first tee shot disappear into the thick tree line, ask yourself the same question.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"This is a course is a total disaster"

summerwang's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Never in my life have I played on a worse golf course. There were sand traps that were growing weeds all the way across, various locations on the course where you could step into a hole many feet deep and break leg, and they even had soccer/golf set up on many holes to add insult to possible injury. There is absolutely no real maintenance of this course visible anywhere, and with the drought... it was a disaster. We were stunned that such a beautiful setting could offer such a terrible course.

"Decent track, fun but only for the advanced golfer"

WP1976's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2013
Previously played Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Locals here have some sort of complex but once you get past that nonsense( I have experienced on many occasions), pretty fun track with decently conditioned greens and inconsistent fairways. Don't even ask about the bunkers but then again, they are a hazard so don't put your ball in them. I heard some banter about how they are attempting the Bandon/Doak minimalist concept here(dried out/unconditioned areas) but when your course is located on the side of a hill like this one is, that concept is unemployable. Give this course a shot but temper your expectations.

Commented on 12/03/2015

Nothing like it anywhere, at least in the US. I had a thirty foot putt that broke twenty feet, no exaggeration. Twice in our group guys putted off the green they were that fast. There's a significant effort underway to remove several decades worth of debris from the trees that crowd the fairways. With a wet winter this track will be one of the gems in the Bay Area.