• 5601 Meridian Rd, Vacaville, California 95687, Solano County

Type: Military

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.6 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals walkers advanced golfers   Challenges include thick rough bunkers plays long   Great for drinks

"Needs the grass cut"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

The grass is terrible right now.... they need to cut the grass and cut it more often. Bathrooms were nice at the clubhouse, and it was nice having restrooms on the course. Nice to have a place to get water at each hole also. Carts are nice and clean. Once they get the grass cut, go and play!

"Worst Golf Day Ever"

cbranco99's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017

This course is really down. We had to play the back nine twice. The front nine was closed. We would have like to have been told before booking our round. We tried to call but no one answers the phone. The course was very wet. The grass was so tall that we could not find our balls.

"Greens are nice!"

HandsomeRome's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/17/2016

Initially, I was intimidated by the course. Though it's a flat course, you can't underestimate it. I practice at this course 3-4 times a week by working on my putting, pitching and chip shots so I was familiar with the conditions of the greens.

But by looking at the layout of the course, the margin of error is very slim. It's not very long, but you can get into trouble if you don't hit your ball in the fairway - which Shannon (who was very polite to me) warned me. The course does get windy because it's flat. It also rained during the week so there was standing water in some portions of the course.

They punched the greens in October/November so the greens were in great shape. There were times I hit my driver and my ball would leak right and I'd see my ball drop, but when I go to look for my ball, it would get lost in the deep grass which can be frustrating. But what I like about losing my ball in the rough, is that the course really makes you think about the shot you should take.

There's a hole (16th hole I think) that's a 90 degree dog-leg right. The guy I played with has played Cypress in the past and he decided to hit his drive 45 degrees towards the green and I decided to play it safe by hitting my ball down the right side of the fairway by hitting a low shot with my 3 wood - which in turn, put me in a good position. I was 186 to the pin. But before I left the tee box, I hit another ball just to see if I was able to position myself aggressively for pitch shot to the green. I ended up somewhere around the trees. I would have been left with a punch shot to the green, but we believed a couple of guys picked up my ball because we saw them around the area where I landed. Long story short, because the course made me think, I managed to do less damage to my score card once I understood the conditions and the layout of the course.

I'm not a very good golfer. I can hit good shots, but that doesn't mean anything if I can't piece things together. My lowest score is an 87 and I shoot right around 93-96. I shot 99 which kind of stings a little. Shot a 54 of the front - tripled the 1st, doubled the 2nd, and 3rd through the 9th were painful too. Once I was able to get a grip on things and minimize the mess, I shot a 45 on the back.

It's a tough course in my opinion. I've met Joe and Dennis on previous days, I met Shannon on the day I played. They are very welcoming.

In spite of getting deated by the course, I will return to Cypress in an attempt to break 90.

"FLAT, CHALLENGING, BUT REWARDING"

brucep2's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I played this course 10-12 yrs ago, and wanted to play something I hadn't played in awhile. After reading the reviews, I had second thoughts, but already book the reservation. Glad I went!! Other than Golf Now not having an aeration alert posted, the putting surface's were tolerable. The course could use some sprucing up around the traps, trimming over grown weeds and grass would make a big difference around the edges of the bunkers. The edges of the cart paths on both sides could use some trimming as well. It would make the course appear, someone cares. Also, there were limited Gold tee boxes, only on a few holes, which made everyone play the white tees, which is over 6500 yds. At 66 yrs of age, the only thing I want that long is___A wad of cash $

Overall, the course conditions were AWESOME!! take into account, it's quite the drive to get to, and in the middle on nowhere. I'm use to playing Private courses, as well as high maintenance public courses, and it wouldn't take much to make this course Sparkle more.

Rodger in the Pro shop was terrific, and Angie in the grill, made me the best cheese burger ever. Heck, I would drive back there, just for the burger.

Despite the confusion on the 1st tee, as to which group should be teeing off, the course played fast. I had one of my best rounds there___and found an extra 15 yds with my driver. There's something to be said about playing a track at 6500 yds. Ya gotta grunt, and swing faster than a woman.

"Cypress Lakes"

Jeff8151428's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Flat and relatively uninteresting layout with plenty of wind to blow mishits even further off line. Overall, there are many better courses in the area. Tee boxes are in rough shape; lots of crab grass and uneven ground. Greens are decent but grass is pretty thin; doesn't really make a divot, more like a skid mark that's tough to repair. Not sure why "Lakes" is in the name as most of the water hazards are dry. Pretty much have to keep the ball in the fairways as the outside areas are either extremely hard dirt, dead weeds full of "hitchhikers" or full of grass clippings from mowing. Best part of the course was the sand in the bunkers being more playable than most courses in the area. Guess the USAF doesn't have much $$ to spend on recreation facilities these days...

"This course has great potential."

parances's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016

The lounge has very relaxing atmosphere.

"Cypress Lakes aka. The Hay Field"

papajohn100251's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

My wife and I arrived 45 minutes prior to our 8:56 a.m. tee time. As my wife readied for her game I went into the Pro shop and checked us in. Sharon at the front desk was very pleasant and professional. After finally getting a key that worked (1st key was for a different model cart), I went back to the car loaded the clubs, changed my shoes, I went back to the pro shop to get a granola bar and discovered that the cart we were in had a very low right rear tire. After changing carts we were off. (10 min early).

Well the shock soon set in. The fairways had been recently mowed and the cut grass that was everywhere, reminded me of a "Hay Field" that had not been baled yet. The fairway roughs were at least 6 inches deep and so thick we lost several balls that were no more than a foot or two off the fairways, so hit it straight down the middle or your doomed. The greens were recently sanded, but not in too bad of shape.

There wrer several very wet sections of the course with standing water or marsh like roughs from the heavy rains that had ended a week prior to our game. All in all, it was a golf date I would like to forget.

Commented on 06/07/2016

Mr. Papajohn,

I am sorry to see that you have decided to give our course a 1 star rating even though you stated that the staff was "very pleasant and professional" and that the fairways had been recently mowed. You also stated the there was very wet sections on the course from the "heavy rains" the week prior. The grass clipping and the roughs being so deep was because of the "heavy rains" the week prior. With all the rain we received there was no way to mow the fairways or the roughs until they dried out or we would have damaged the golf course and possibly the equipment.

Again, I'd like to apologize for the course conditions and to let you know that this is not the typical conditions of the course. I hope you come back and give our course another try.

Sincerely,

Jessie A. Walker, PGA

General Manger

(707) 448-7186

"great"

colton12's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

all good, play here often

"Easy to get a tee time"

chicoslug's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2016

My family played on Valentine's Day and had a good outing. The course was very well-maintained. The staff was very accommodating. Pace of play was excellent.

Commented on 06/07/2016

We are glad you enjoyed the course. We hope to see you back soon.

Jessie A. Walker, PGA

General Manger

(707) 448-7186

"Course is open and forgiving"

Thomas2222655's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/07/2015

Nice flat course with plenty of options to recover from bad shots. Be careful, drought may have dried up the "lakes" but chase your ball into what looks dry lake bed and you are in for a surprise!

"Great after work play"

Emma4261075's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2015

Easy, flat course but a bit windy. Great value and user friendly !

"Not worth it"

Christophe8453642's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2015

I've only been playing for about 2 months now, I decided to take 2 friends who have never golfed to experience how fun the game can actually be. Instead I strongly believe taking them to this course was a really really bad idea. Staff wasn't friendly to newcomers. Since it is part of the base; veterans and active duty were not welcoming to the public. the greens weren't kept up on a daily basis, you are putting through 4 giant patch holes on 1 front 9 hole and 3 back 9 hole. Just overall a bad experience of taking friends to play some golf. I would not recommend this course, your better off playing at paradise valley gc, solano gc, or green tree gc (vacaville) for the amount you pay.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

"Fun course, good condition, and good value"

u196145079's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Cypress Lakes is a fun and fairly challenging course. It doesn't match up in quality with Rancho Solano and Paradise Valley, but you can usually walk on and experience a good pace of play. The staff is friendly and accommodating. If you are looking for a lesson, ask for course pro - Dennis, he is an excellent instructor.

"Fairly nice course"

Gurion2966007's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2015

The front nine of the course was okay until I started the back 9. Nonetheless, it was challenging playing the back nine. The challenge to this course is the long dog leg fairways and the constant wind blowing.i

"Best Greens in Town"

Erick4194350's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2015

If you stopped coming to this course because of conditions, you can start playing it again. I played all four of the local courses over a 5 day period and Cypress Lakes' greens were by far in the best shape. Great job by the staff to make this course what it is...
If they could only get a new contractor for their food service.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"great course"

Clyde8473410's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2015

Great golf value. Course is in good condition. Enjoy play this course. Lot of trees line fairways. Met a lot of nice golfers. Make you feel welcome.

"great deals"

nooneduffer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

most holes are straight forward.Several dog legs make it a challenge.I think course is in good shape.I'm usually in the 107 range and like this course.Only draw back no gps and yardages could be marked better.
I don't recommend a hot dog the one I had on a previous
visit was dried out some and not very tasty.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"This course has a lot of greens"

Dalmacio7869652's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2015

Yes it was my first time I've been a lots of golf course to me cypress is one of the kind not only it runs of military the course it's self are unspectacular the location are perfect
Not to many rich fancy houses matter fact nothing at all and most of all like we all golfers always wanted more than any
thing else the course its self is TOO QUIET ( 110-% I'll play
again next

"Great condition"

Jason9893899's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2015

Very nice layout and in great condition. I highly recommend this long and flat course.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Course is coming along nicely"

MartyShobe's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2015

Fairways and greens are in good shape. It is an older course so when you get in the trees you may need to be careful about roots. This is a course you should try again.