Laurel View Country Club

• 310 W Shepard Ave, Hamden, Connecticut 06514, New Haven County
  • www.laurelviewcc.com

Year built: 1969
Architect(s): Geoffrey Cornish (1969), Bill Robinson (1969)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Proper attire is required.

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.2 stars from 5

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways water hazards   Great for drinks

"Good track for the $$"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017
Used cart Verified Purchaser

I like this Course , I've played it a few times with my son. He attends a local University and It's a perfect location for us.

The views are nice, It's not too difficult but can be a challenge .Keeping in mind it was certainly off-season and it was extremely understaffed, the Course was not up to speed yet.

The course itself needed some more attention but considering that the winter flags were still up I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and I'm hopefully that they will work over the month of May to improve on the conditions.

That being said, the Clubhouse ( restaurant was not up and running yet), in particular the men's bathroom was horrible.There is no excuse to open a Course and charge a full rate, we paid $ 35/player 18 holes with cart through golfnow, and then to not have a clean clubhouse bathroom as well as none available on the Course.

I will go back and I hope that some of these items will be corrected.

"dog track"

rasanko's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017

This course must have been fantastic at some point in its history but is no longer. Tee boxes were half bare, sand bunkers were basically dried mud, cart paths were chopped up and dangerous to negotiate. That leaves the greens and they were terrible. This was sad to see. Hopefully a facelift is in its future.

"No maintenance being done"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017

There is minimal maintenance being done to this beautiful course. A real shame.

"unsatisfied golfer"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

The course was definitely not kept up at all. Our cart got stuck at one point. The driving path is all torn up it seems by bobcat machines so we had to drive on the grass a lot. We waiting 2 hours to play from the tee time we signed up for since the clubhouse did not have enough carts for the amount of golfers they booked themselves. There were about 9 groups waiting for carts which is ridiculous. They didnt give a discount or refund for the inconvenience besides free range balls. Which was a problem because if you left and went to hit balls whoever stayed in the clubhouse ended up taking your golf cart even though your tee time was prior than there's. I will most likely never go back since what we experience was not professional and the course was not kept up. The clubhouse is extremely run down and old and the women's bathroom had 1/4 of a toilet paper roll for 4 stalls--- disgusting. I would definitely not recommend it to other golfers or friends.

"Not in shape"

stanleygo's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

Although it was start of season, not cleaned up. Have played other courses with good conditions. Twigs throughout fairways, greens not so great. I would almost say it wasn't worth the money--for couple more $ you can play a course in much better condition. However, I will give them another try.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Course is long and very hilly. Especially with the winds it makes it a very tough course. We waited over an hour for a cart and teed off about an hour and a half late. The staff did not seem to care at all that we had been waiting. However, once we got out there the pace of play was very good. The ball bounced on the green while putting and the fairways were not cut very well.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

its very early in the season so the greens were a bit hairy, very nice muni course. management need to spend some money on the traps

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 04/13/2017:

Thanks for leaving us a review! We appreciate the feedback about our course conditions and are currently working to improve them for the spring season. We hope you give us another shot in the future once they've improved!

"great value"

bobs0327's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

played this course in the dead of winter and a day after heavy rains the previous day so take it for what its worth. course has a mixture of some very easy holes and some real killers. even though greens were soaked they were still very puttable. lots of unrepaired ball marks though. always has good prices with golfnow so value was great.

Response from Laurel View on 01/03/2017:

Thanks for playing!

"Great Vslue Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2016

Great course for the money course was in great shape leaves made finding your ball a nightmare

Response from Laurel View on 11/17/2016:

Thanks for your 5-star review! Please come back and play again soon!

"Too Bad"

Davycob's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

We have played this course close to 20 times this year. Course was/is in decent shape an the greens were excellent throughout. Unfortunately there are ignorant people who do not repair their ball marks. Myself as well as well as a select few take the time to repair mine as well as three or four others. The worst is someone devoted up a green (mentioned previously) within an hour prior to us passing through. I tried to work out a lot of them to the best of my ability but I am sure there is permanent damage. I fell bad for management who does a decent job on the greens. Only complaint is the traps need sand badly. Other than that I would and do play this course regularly.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 12/07/2016:

Thank you for your four star rating as well as your feedback! We are happy to know you enjoy playing our course on a regular basis. We hope you don't get discouraged to play here because of the actions of other golfers. We do our best to maintain the course regardless! Hope to see you back soon!

"Great day for golf"

cmcgeever1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016

Course was in good shape, manicured...areas that were wet were properly roped off

Response from Laurel View on 10/19/2016:

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! Please come back and see us again soon!

"wouldnt take much to make this place great"

xmas1225's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is an interesting course, the front is long and wide open and the back is cut thru the woods with many challenging fairways and blind shots.

the fairways were in good shape but the greens were slow and they were treated well by other golfers.

nobody fixes they ball marks on the greens and some of the golfers look to be hitting the greens with their club and damaging it beyond repair. this is really too bad as this is a nice round of golf.

I would like to see the greens worked on, pressed and I think then you will have a must play course.

I would recommend the course but be prepared for the greens

Response from Laurel View on 10/10/2016:

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback, as we're always focused on improving and becoming better. Thanks for playing and we hope to see you again soon!

"Course Needs New Management"

NaveenJ's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

It's quite sad what's happened to this course. I hadn't played this course in a couple of years even though I live 5 min away from the course. Thought I'd give it a shot this weekend and the conditions have only worsened since I last played it. The fairways are hard and bouncy, badly in need of some aeration. There are many bare spots on the fairways and rough. The greens were OK but again firm and bouncy and needs aeration. There is no sand in the traps. The pro-shop is in sad shape. They don't even have real scorecards anymore, some photo-copied piece of paper. There is no sand in the traps.

The course operator should be fired and there needs to be some new management. This used to be one of the best public courses to play in Connecticut, with a challenging layout. Sad to see this gem deteriorate into such bad shape. And shame on the town of Hamden for not doing anything about this.

Commented on 09/27/2016

We're sorry that you had such a poor experience. Thanks for leaving your feedback and for sharing with us how we can improve. We have all hands on deck to get our conditions back to standards we would normally expect. Please come back and play again soon!

"Cart Paths"

u361190020's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Holy cow, the cart paths are horrendous! The fairways/rough are in ok shape at best. The greens were nice and soft and were also in great shape. Not a bad course for $35.

Commented on 09/27/2016

Thanks for your review! We appreciate the feedback and are sorry about our cart paths. It's something that we're aware of and have plans to repair. We're glad you had a good round otherwise! Please come back and play again soon!

"Great value for 18"

radler16's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2016

The price was too good to pass up. Good pace of play (2 of us played in 4 hours). Course in average shape. Not a bad way to spend a mid-week late August afternoon!

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for playing! Happy to hear you had a pretty quick round. Please come back and play again soon!

"Some work needed"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

All in all the course was in good shape , the pace was great not crowded at all....Only downfall were the bunkers very hard no sand and some were just mud.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for playing! We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and are sorry that our bunkers aren't in great shape right now. We're working on addressing this issue! Please come back and play again soon.

"Good course"

Bill9645340's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016

I thought the course was very good. For a muni course, I would even say great. I read some of the reviews and the one down point I agree with was the bunkers. They were horrible. They are in need of drainage and repair. But I thought the layout was fantastic. Starts you off with a nice short simple par 4, then throws in a few twists and turns through the next 17. Rewards you for both smart and aggressive play. I thought the conditions of the green were excellent.

I highly recommend it, and value for the money, it's one of the best in the state.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for the kind words! We're thrilled that you had such a great experience and we appreciate your feedback regarding our bunkers. I've shared your comments with our superintendent and we'll make sure to take them into consideration moving forward. Thanks for playing and please come back soon!

"Sand Traps Need Work"

jessieg2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The sand traps need work. Hard packed gravel made worse by recent thunderstorm hard rains.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for leaving your feedback! We're happy to hear that you had a great round despite the less than perfect conditions. Please come back and play again soon!

"Took me two hours to finish 6 holes"

u319370467's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2016

Course has a lot of potential but was the slowest round I've played had to walk off after 6 holes

Commented on 08/11/2016

u319370467,

Thank you for playing with us and sending your feedback! We appreciate the review and will work on addressing pace of play for our golfers. We apologize for the inconvenience but hope that you will come back again!

Sincerely,

Laurel View CC Mgmt

"Course needs help!"

francisd's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

I've played this course many times over the thirty-five years I've lived near it.This is the first time I've played it in a long while. I won't reiterate what, seemingly, just about everyone else has said about it. The greens, fairways and tee boxes are nowhere near what they once were. What few ball washers there are are either broke or have no water in them. There is no water on the course in coolers to drink. And then there are the sand traps. Absolutely horrible!!! There are bees nesting in some of them or just plain dirt or muddy puddles. What was once the driving range is now a dumping area. Even at the discount price it's no bargain. Hopefully the town will wise up and get some competent golf course management in there to fix it up. Sadly, what was once one of the state's premier municipal golf facilities now looks like a disaster area.

Commented on 08/09/2016

We're sorry that you had such a poor experience. We've got all hands on deck to get our course back to the conditions that we once had. Thanks for playing and for sharing your thoughts.