Laurel View Country Club

• 310 W Shepard Ave, Hamden, Connecticut 06514, New Haven County
  • www.laurelviewcc.com

Year built: 1969
Architect(s): Geoffrey Cornish (1969), Bill Robinson (1969)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Proper attire is required.

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.3 stars from 5

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways water hazards   Great for drinks

"great value"

bobs0327's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

played this course in the dead of winter and a day after heavy rains the previous day so take it for what its worth. course has a mixture of some very easy holes and some real killers. even though greens were soaked they were still very puttable. lots of unrepaired ball marks though. always has good prices with golfnow so value was great.

Response from Laurel View on 01/03/2017:

Thanks for playing!

"Great Vslue Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2016

Great course for the money course was in great shape leaves made finding your ball a nightmare

Response from Laurel View on 11/17/2016:

Thanks for your 5-star review! Please come back and play again soon!

"Too Bad"

Davycob's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

We have played this course close to 20 times this year. Course was/is in decent shape an the greens were excellent throughout. Unfortunately there are ignorant people who do not repair their ball marks. Myself as well as well as a select few take the time to repair mine as well as three or four others. The worst is someone devoted up a green (mentioned previously) within an hour prior to us passing through. I tried to work out a lot of them to the best of my ability but I am sure there is permanent damage. I fell bad for management who does a decent job on the greens. Only complaint is the traps need sand badly. Other than that I would and do play this course regularly.

Response from Laurel View Country Club on 12/07/2016:

Thank you for your four star rating as well as your feedback! We are happy to know you enjoy playing our course on a regular basis. We hope you don't get discouraged to play here because of the actions of other golfers. We do our best to maintain the course regardless! Hope to see you back soon!

"Great day for golf"

cmcgeever1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016

Course was in good shape, manicured...areas that were wet were properly roped off

Response from Laurel View on 10/19/2016:

Thanks so much for your 5-star review! Please come back and see us again soon!

"wouldnt take much to make this place great"

xmas1225's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is an interesting course, the front is long and wide open and the back is cut thru the woods with many challenging fairways and blind shots.

the fairways were in good shape but the greens were slow and they were treated well by other golfers.

nobody fixes they ball marks on the greens and some of the golfers look to be hitting the greens with their club and damaging it beyond repair. this is really too bad as this is a nice round of golf.

I would like to see the greens worked on, pressed and I think then you will have a must play course.

I would recommend the course but be prepared for the greens

Response from Laurel View on 10/10/2016:

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback, as we're always focused on improving and becoming better. Thanks for playing and we hope to see you again soon!

"Course Needs New Management"

NaveenJ's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

It's quite sad what's happened to this course. I hadn't played this course in a couple of years even though I live 5 min away from the course. Thought I'd give it a shot this weekend and the conditions have only worsened since I last played it. The fairways are hard and bouncy, badly in need of some aeration. There are many bare spots on the fairways and rough. The greens were OK but again firm and bouncy and needs aeration. There is no sand in the traps. The pro-shop is in sad shape. They don't even have real scorecards anymore, some photo-copied piece of paper. There is no sand in the traps.

The course operator should be fired and there needs to be some new management. This used to be one of the best public courses to play in Connecticut, with a challenging layout. Sad to see this gem deteriorate into such bad shape. And shame on the town of Hamden for not doing anything about this.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 09/27/2016

We're sorry that you had such a poor experience. Thanks for leaving your feedback and for sharing with us how we can improve. We have all hands on deck to get our conditions back to standards we would normally expect. Please come back and play again soon!

"Cart Paths"

u361190020's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Holy cow, the cart paths are horrendous! The fairways/rough are in ok shape at best. The greens were nice and soft and were also in great shape. Not a bad course for $35.

Commented on 09/27/2016

Thanks for your review! We appreciate the feedback and are sorry about our cart paths. It's something that we're aware of and have plans to repair. We're glad you had a good round otherwise! Please come back and play again soon!

"Great value for 18"

radler16's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2016

The price was too good to pass up. Good pace of play (2 of us played in 4 hours). Course in average shape. Not a bad way to spend a mid-week late August afternoon!

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for playing! Happy to hear you had a pretty quick round. Please come back and play again soon!

"Some work needed"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

All in all the course was in good shape , the pace was great not crowded at all....Only downfall were the bunkers very hard no sand and some were just mud.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for playing! We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and are sorry that our bunkers aren't in great shape right now. We're working on addressing this issue! Please come back and play again soon.

"Good course"

Bill9645340's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016

I thought the course was very good. For a muni course, I would even say great. I read some of the reviews and the one down point I agree with was the bunkers. They were horrible. They are in need of drainage and repair. But I thought the layout was fantastic. Starts you off with a nice short simple par 4, then throws in a few twists and turns through the next 17. Rewards you for both smart and aggressive play. I thought the conditions of the green were excellent.

I highly recommend it, and value for the money, it's one of the best in the state.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for the kind words! We're thrilled that you had such a great experience and we appreciate your feedback regarding our bunkers. I've shared your comments with our superintendent and we'll make sure to take them into consideration moving forward. Thanks for playing and please come back soon!

"Sand Traps Need Work"

jessieg2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The sand traps need work. Hard packed gravel made worse by recent thunderstorm hard rains.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for leaving your feedback! We're happy to hear that you had a great round despite the less than perfect conditions. Please come back and play again soon!

"Took me two hours to finish 6 holes"

u319370467's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2016

Course has a lot of potential but was the slowest round I've played had to walk off after 6 holes

Commented on 08/11/2016

u319370467,

Thank you for playing with us and sending your feedback! We appreciate the review and will work on addressing pace of play for our golfers. We apologize for the inconvenience but hope that you will come back again!

Laurel View CC Mgmt

"Course needs help!"

francisd's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

I've played this course many times over the thirty-five years I've lived near it.This is the first time I've played it in a long while. I won't reiterate what, seemingly, just about everyone else has said about it. The greens, fairways and tee boxes are nowhere near what they once were. What few ball washers there are are either broke or have no water in them. There is no water on the course in coolers to drink. And then there are the sand traps. Absolutely horrible!!! There are bees nesting in some of them or just plain dirt or muddy puddles. What was once the driving range is now a dumping area. Even at the discount price it's no bargain. Hopefully the town will wise up and get some competent golf course management in there to fix it up. Sadly, what was once one of the state's premier municipal golf facilities now looks like a disaster area.

Commented on 08/09/2016

We're sorry that you had such a poor experience. We've got all hands on deck to get our course back to the conditions that we once had. Thanks for playing and for sharing your thoughts.

"Good course"

sunghong21's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016

Nice course to play with family and friends

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thanks for your review! Please come back and play again soon!

"Bob"

uV1AU8153V1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2016

Cart path is very bad which need to be repaired.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thanks for your feedback! We're aware of this problem and are working diligently to get our course conditions back to standards which we would normally expect. Thanks for playing and please come back soon!

"This course continues to be a disaster!"

Kurtb2014's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2016

So I book a golf now tee time today for this place and I get there and there is a senior league going on forcing us to start off the back and then unable to play the front! Pro shop, (if you can even call it that) had no answers for us. There is nobody running the place except for some girl taking money in the pro shop who could not help us or get the "pro" on the phone to remedy our problem. Course is falling apart, in debt, and mis-managed. Tried to give this place a chance every season, but it just gets worse. Plenty of other courses to play at in the area and a better value. The course is on facebook yet there is no wifi so you can "check in" and promote the place!

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We're sorry that you had an unpleasant round and we apologize for the poor customer service that you experienced. We are working diligently to get our course conditions back up to par and appreciate your feedback. Thanks for playing.

"Nice golf course"

golferbee's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The course is challenging but fun.

golferbee,

Thank you for choosing to play with us and taking the time to send your feedback of your time out on the course. We appreciate the review and are pleased to hear that you had a fun time! We hope to see you again very soon!

Until then, all the best!

Laurel View Mgmt

"When all is truly lost..."

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I've played here several times prior and while I will not say "never" again, it is really not likely I'd play there again. The traps were atrocious, plain and simple. They were mud. Not simply due to rain or moisture from the previous day. Its obvious that there is not much passion put into keeping the course kept. The fairways and greens were at best average and maybe a hair below that. But what really provides my title is what happened on 17 and in the clubhouse afterward. I hit my ball into the 17th sandtrap, right side. There is a dead squirrel in the trap. Now, I'm not vet but it was obviously there are a least a few days if not longer. I go into the clubhouse, I let the person working know that they have a dead squirrel in 17 sand trap. The response told me all I need to know, the employees likely do not care and it starts with management. He says, "Oh yeah, I saw that there." I looked at him and said "ok, thanks". As I go to leave he says, "Is that all?" Totally disconnected. Sorry but this was just a bad experience. Whats the best part? I'm this livid about the experience and I only paid $20! Was not even worth that.

Commented on 07/26/2016

Played here today and have to disagree on the condition of the fairways and greens. I would rate them good to excellent. I do agree the traps are not the best around but they are getting better.

u363277373,

Thank you for choosing to play with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback of the course. First, we would like to formally apologize for the conditions of the course and can assure you that we are constantly working towards improving on a daily basis! Also, we are sorry that the response from management was negative and apologize for the poor customer service. We hope that this experience didn't negatively effect your overall opinion of us and hope to see you again soon to provide you with a much more pleasant experience with us!

"Average course"

Mark7484503's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

the fairways and greens are in good shape.

Mark7484503,

Thank you for sending us your feedback of your time here with us. We value your opinion and hope that you will come back again soon!

"Had a great time"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2016

Happy to play this course for the money, I enjoyed it

u370857203,

Thank you for playing with us and taking the time to send us your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your round and are looking forward to your next outing with us!

Until then, take care!