Peacock Gap Golf Club

• peacockgapgolfclub.com

Year built: 1959
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Rye grass

Dress code: Men’s golf shirts are required to have collars. Women’s golf shirts are expected to be appropriate fashion tops. No t-shirts, tank tops or denim are allowed. Golf shoes are required to have soft spikes; no metal spikes or open-toed shoes are allowed.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Club 71 5126 yards 66.8 119
Caddy 71 4828 yards 66.8 119
Caddy (W) 71 4828 yards 68.0 115

Average Rating 3.1 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for walkers locals seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards undulating greens   Great for drinks brunch dinner

"Good Sunday Round"

JLV109's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

Overall good round of golf. The practice facilities were great. Greens were aerated so they discounted the rate but still a bit overpriced for the current condition. Besides the green conditions, the sand traps were in bad shape. They also let the rough grow out a bit too much and with the wildflowers it made it difficult to find balls just off of the fairway. We were out early so we breezed through the course, but I can see it getting backed up with golfers looking for their balls.

"Soggy Course - Never should have let us on"

kkafrey's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Though it was sunny and had not rained for several days,the course was extremely soggy like there is no proper drainage. There were small lakes and swamps on the fairways and in the bunkers. Could not tell you how many balls were lost/plugged in the middle of the fairway. When we asked for a rain check for the back nine, we were told we could not have one because we had a "prepaid GolfNow.com reservation and they don't get any money for these reservations, these round merely pay for GolfNow.com to set up their tee times."

Commented on 02/25/2017

Hello KKafrey, Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. The record rains have created some wet conditions for sure. While our drainage infrastructure is actually one of the better in the area, this year has been overwhelmed by the heavy rain. Please contact me at headpro@peacockgapgolfclub.com

We'd like to invite you out when conditions improve. Thanks and happy golfing.

-PGGC Management

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

I've played many courses a couple of days after heavy rain, but the drainage on the fairways here are the worst I've seen. The nice greens couldn't make up for the fact that my group and I had lost multiple balls in the fairway of all places. Our balls were plugged flush to the ground so even though we saw our drives land it was a nightmare to find it when we approached it. I'd recommend this course as the layout's very nice and provides a good challenge, but wait at least 4-5 days to play this course after heavy rain.

Commented on 02/12/2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. I'm sorry to hear your experience was marred by the wet conditions. The recent rain events have been very heavy here and have left a lot of water for courses to deal with. Peacock Gap is actually one of the better draining courses in the area as evidenced by our lowest "cart path only days" in the county, and at sea level that's really impressive. Plugged golf balls are definitely part of Winter golf but we're drying out fast so we hope you can come back soon. Thanks again and happy golfing.

RG, PGGC

"Don't know why I never golfed here"

Anthony7937236's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/20/2016

I have lived close by to this course for years and never played for some stupid reason. It's a great course and it's in good shape. It plays long when it's wet but to be honest it seemed to drain well after we had just received a lot of rain. An accurate driver can put you in position to score but if you struggle off the tee the course becomes a lot more challenging. It's a great track for all levels and a pretty good deal when it comes to golf in Marin.

Commented on 02/12/2017

Thanks Anthony! We echo your sentiments, PGGC definitely holds up to the test. We hope you can continue to enjoy the course in 2017. Our upcoming bunker restoration will only add to the value. Happy golfing!

"Peacocking everyday"

IwanttobelikeDJ's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016

Peacock Gap is a great course I would play here every day if I could. Great layout, challenging course. Always pretty busy but can get great deals for around 1 or 2 pm and a lot less crowded, faster pace. Pretty well maintained, little creek runs through the course can be quite the hazard especially on the back nine. Very fun course to play, love the new carts with the GPS, shows distance you hit your tee shots and how far away you are from the pin. Overall I think one of the best courses in Marin and the North Bay could play here a thousand times and not get tired of it just a solid well designed course.

Commented on 02/12/2017

Thank you for the review! The course continues to improve and 2017 will feature the beginning of our Bunker Restoration. We hope you can enjoy Peacock Gap more in 2017. Happy Golfing!

"Nice course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2016

Very impressed with Peacock Gap.

Had heard new owners took over a few years back and were planning to clean it up.

They did just that ! Very nice facility and golf course was in great shape.

Commented on 08/29/2016

Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience. We're so glad you found the course to be above expectations. It sure has been nice lately. See you back soon!

Sincerely,

Rod Ghilarducci

"What a huge difference"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2016
Previously played Walked Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Played Peacock many years ago. This course has improved tremendously in all aspects. Better course, conditions and amenities. Got a great deal on GolfNow and will definitely return.

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you for sharing your experience! We're glad you found the course to be in great shape. We're really loving it now, too. Hope to see you soon.

-Peacock Gap Team

"A very walkable course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The Golfnow tee time here is 1:57. Plenty of time to play 18. Also, light play at that time so no waiting

at next tee. A very good value.

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you for sharing, Ben! We're glad you enjoyed the day. We hope to see you back soon.

-Peacock Gap Team

"Peacock Gap"

dcw88's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Fairly easy and very short course from the tips.

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you for commenting. Our course is very playable for all skill levels. Players have a chance to make birdies and pars which is what it's all about! Sounds like you had no trouble doing just that. Come back soon and challenge the course record of 64.

- Peacock Gap Team

"Could Be Better...."

Milton1836292's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

When you walk onto the course, you get a great impression. A nice looking clubhouse and to the right is a nice large grass driving range. We checked in and the guys at the pro shop were super nice. Being our first time there, he walked outside with us and gave us directions on how to get around the course. We get up to first tee and had some fun with the starter before teeing off. Great guy that suggested we play the blues. We hit our tee shots and were off.

This course needs some help from the rain and that was evident on the first hole. The layout was nice. Nothing too difficult. My favorite part of the course were the par 3s, minus the first one (#3) which was basically hitting a ball to a top of a hill. The others were really nice with huge greens, some 3 tiered. The #16 could have been the best of them all, but there were so many geese on and around the green, it was ridiculous. We all hit our shot, walked up to the green and were floored by just how much geese dropping there was. Just to hit my putt, I had to shovel it off my line for a least 2 minutes. It was terrible and when its that much, it becomes disgusting. It just ruined what would have been the best hole on the course.

All in all, it wasn't horrible. The pace was good and it was packed in on a Saturday like many other courses. The range is awesome. The people were super nice and friendly. The one thing I can't get passed and its probably why I wouldn't return is the price and value. Since I live in San Francisco, I drive to most of the courses I play and at times, a good distance. So at $90 with a cart, this is at the bottom of my value list. San Geronimo is near the same distance and the conditions are much nicer, yet $25 cheaper. There are just nicer courses to play out there that are much better values.

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you for your comments. We take our guests experience and evaluations seriously. We recently invested in a service to address our population of Geese. We've made great strides to reduce the amount of birds on the course and it's been going very well. It's hard to be on top of the issue at every moment but we're doing our best.

We've been granted permission to allocate more water to the course of late. You're probably aware of the severe drought California is in so we've been conserving water and the turf definitely takes the brunt. We kept our greens pristine during the drought and they're still among the best in the county.

Hopefully you can return soon, we'd love to have you back.

Respectfully,

Peacock Gap Team

"Peacock Gap - a fun course to play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2016

Certainly not over challenging from the whites, with par 5s reachable in two. Course is an easy walk, which I prefer. Fairways were in good shape, given all our rain. Greens didn't hold. Putting slow. I played for $12 on golf now-can't beat that. Didn't ever wait. Walked 18 in under 4 hours. Had a great day. Would def come back.

Commented on 06/01/2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and fellow golfers. We hope you can return to play soon, the course is in prestine shape right now. Respectfully, Rod Ghilarducci, Head Golf Professional.

"Unsatisfied"

MorenoSimonova's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2016

We had no idea we had to play the front 9 twice, that was already a surprise then the starter ask us by the way did you know we just plugged the greens,how would Any feel finding this out after driving an hour from S.S.F to San Rafael?

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 08/05/2016

Good morning, thank you for your feedback. We do our very best to communicate scheduled maintenance to our guests so they can book tee times with confidence. We've reached out to GolfNow to address the icon they use for aerification notices. We feel like the alert is often unnoticed and can create issues like you experienced. We'd like to make it up to and invite you play a round of golf on us. The greens are in immaculate shape so please get in touch with me when you have a moment. Respectfully, Rod Ghilarducci, Head Golf Professional.

"Booking knowledge"

MorenoSimonova's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2016

I booked a tee time through golf now when I arrived at the course they said we had to play the front nine twice then we got to the first tee the starter told us they just plug the greens and they were all sandy. I was very disappointed!!

Course Layout: Poor

"Very enjoyable"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

My wife and I had a great afternoon

Commented on 06/01/2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We're glad you enjoyed the round with your wife. Be sure to join us on Wednesday evenings for our 9 and Dine for $99. Players enjoy 9 holes followed by a 3-course dinner and bottle of wine. We hope to see you soon.

"The course is in good condition."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2015
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

A pleasant way to spend a afternoon. The course has been improved and offers a good teat for average golfers.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Good to be back."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Used to play Peacock pretty often 10-15 years ago. Was always fun for the price. Then it was bought and re-done. Huge fee increase and ridiculously redesigned greens. Major complaints from the regulars. I played it once and "never again". Was bought again 3-4 years ago. Greens re-done #again# and enlarged/improved grass range and new practice area #although my formerly favorite hole #9 was reduced from par 5 to 4 to make room----bummer#. Saw a good deal on GolfNow because greens punched the prior week, so decided Friday afternoon would be a good opportunity to check out Peacock again #after 8-9 years#. The greens now #re-re-designed# are great--really interesting, and the layout still fair and fun #w/ some added traps around the greens, which I like#. It's a very scenic course w/ many mature oaks/pines etc. A good amount of water too. Teed off 12:30 and finished in 4hrs.15 min. #4-some# before dark. As expected, greens still needed 10-14 days to recover. But, really enjoyed myself. Was like spending time w/ an old friend that's recovered from health issues. I'll be playing Peacock again, now.

"Course under maintenance."

divadwethamdron's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2015

Pros:
The buildings are attractive.
Huge all grass driving range.
Course is walkable.
Range Cafe has superb food.
Great happy hour value.

Cons:
Though the booking listing noted aeration in progress, I was disappointed to learn that the back nine was closed.
The front nine greens were still covered with sand and made putting a joke.
Fairways are in really rough shape.
Waited on every shot.
Small bucket(30 balls) was $9.00. Seems a tad pricey for a warmup.

My overall impression was favorable enough that I will play the course again when the greens have healed. I will definitely go back for the locavore food.

Commented on 06/01/2016

Thank you for your comments. We dislike aerification as much as anybody but it is a necessary evil. Apologies too for the lack of communication on the closure of back 9. GolfNow software was not able to convey that message. We'd love to have you back for a round on the house. Contact me when you have a moment. Thank you, Rod Ghilarducci, Head Golf Professional.

"Great course"

ROBOM50's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

A fun playable course. I am playing with a beginner and its a manageable course with some challenging holes with not a lot of water..

Commented on 06/01/2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We're glad you enjoyed the round. Be sure to join us on Wednesday evenings for our 9 and Dine for $99. Players enjoy 9 holes followed by a 3-course dinner and bottle of wine. We hope to see you soon.

"Don't pass up restaurant."

Carl1551314's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2015

Drought has challenged this course but pretty good considering. Alway good luck at restaurant after or before round. Good staff, will be back.

"Condition of Course"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2015

There is a drought in the area. Understandable, however, the area surrounding the greens and tee boxes were rough. And I am not talking long grass. No grass at times just dirt where they are watering. They need to spend time fixing the course around the greens . Will not play there until it will rains again.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor