Laurel Island Links

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

"Turtle vs 3-legged turtle"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

Pace of play was absolutely atrocious and because of this I will not be coming back. Amazingly enough, I got stuck behind 5 foursomes in a row and it took close to 2 hours to play 4.5 holes. It got so bad that I picked up my ball and just quit for the day after paying for the over-priced course.

I don't know what Laurel Links needs to do to improve this situation, but I will never come back.

"Fire the superintendent"

Shelley4929666's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

Davis Love III should try playing this course he designed unannounced. Because if he's anything like people say he'd be ashamed to have his name and likeness associated with this course the way it's maintained. I lost 3 balls on the fairway it was a Friday and the fairway was almost as thick as the rough uneven and lumpy tee boxes, forget finding your ball in the first cut and just go ahead and drop if you land in the rough.

"Where's my ball?"

Shelley4929666's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

I have to give them credit for trying, the greens where in fantastic shape but I lost 3 balls on the fairway it was as thick as the rough . If you hit in the rough it's the same as a stroke penalty because you'll never find it. I don't know if they didn't get a chance to cut them or not but I did read in a previous review the fairways where thicker than normal so this must be the norm.

"Great course for beginners and golfers of average abilities"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

A realy good value for the money. Greens were fine, and fairways have plenty of grass. We did decide to skip one hole, because of a twosome of very slow golfers. My thought was they were probably begginers and didn't know enough to wave us through.

"First day back"

garysgolfdeals's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

We played the first day opening after hurricane Irma. Work crew had did a great job getting course open things were obviously a little rough yet. Not everything had been mowed. Overall it was a good experience

ETCASC's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

Fairways are overrun with weeds and crabgrass. Large unmarked hole in fairway of hole #4. The weeds covered the hole which can swallow your golf cart. Hard to understand how the greens can be in very good condition and the rest of the course can be so bad. Even the cart path needs some serious repairs. Will not be back anytime soon to play this course.

Response from Laurel Island Links on 09/08/2017:

Hello Edward, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Laurel Island Links. We are sorry to hear that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Your feedback is appreciated so we know where improvements need to be made. It looks like you enjoyed the course layout, so we hope that made your round a little better. Thank you for choosing our golf course, in the Jekyll Island area, and we hope to earn your business again soon.

"Course has great features."

jorgej47's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Rough and fairways are a little high but reasonable because we are in the rain season. Greens are very good.

"Not worth the money."

CURTIS1380738's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

I had played this course before and it was in tip top shape. I played it on September 3, 2017 and it is bad. The grass need cutting all around. We had a foursome playing and we droved over an hour to play this course and to find out it was in this type of shape. I wish I had a picture of hole ten u could not see anything from the tee box because the grass was over six feet tall, it was a guessing game on if your ball landed in the fairway. We lost many balls in the rough because they need cutting bad. Wasted six hours of my time. The only thing good was there clothes were on sale for 50% off.

Response from Laurel Island Links on 09/06/2017:

Hello Curtis, thank you for giving our course, Laurel Island Links, in the Jekyll Island/Savannah area, a three-star review. We are sorry to hear that our course was in poor condition when you played. However, we are glad to see that you found our staff friendly. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to earn your business again in the future.

"NOT WORTH YOUR TIME OR MONEY"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

This course is over priced for what you get... I've played on aerated fairways and greens that were in better conditions than what we experienced for my first time at this course.

My friends and I drove over and hour to play this course thinking that with the 4 star rating it would be a nice get away for the labor day weekend, but we all were sadly disappointed for what we encountered today.

The four of us play golf 3-4 times a week and we all thought about just leaving the course and calling Golfnow informing them of the condition of the course and asking to be refunded our money at first, but we hoped it would get better as the round continued...

The fairways on some holes are being over taken by St. Augustine grass, and many of the sand traps have more grass in them than parts of the fairways. On some of the holes we would hit good drives that were maybe 3 yards off the fairway and the grass was so long covered with dead clippings that the ground crew didn't bother to blow off that it would take all 4 of us at times almost 5 minutes to find the ball that we could not see because of the overgrown 4+ inches on the fringe and rough.

OMG the tee box on the 10th hole has brush that is at least 8-10 feet high... If you ever want to hit a true blind tee shot this hole is for you. We thought about sending someone over to see where that balls landed because from the tees you would have to hope for the best as to where you ball landed.

Response from Laurel Island Links on 09/05/2017:

Hello Jesse, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Laurel Island Links, in the Jekyll Island/Savannah area. We are sorry to hear that our course was in poor condition when you played. But, we are happy to see that you found our staff friendly and that you experienced a smooth pace of play. Thank you for playing with us, and we hope to earn your business again in the future.

"Laurel Island Links awful"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017

Played this course over the Labor day weekend. I was in very poor condition. The ruff was not cut the fair ways are overrun by weeds. You miss the fairway by a yard or two and you can't find your ball. Only 3 or 4 greens were in good condition. There are 2 holes that the weeds are grown up and it causes a blind tee shot to hit the fair way. The sight lines from the tee were poor on several holes. The sand traps had no sand and they were growing with grass. This course was very poorly kept. Course needs a lot of attention and maybe a new superintendent. I didn't think to take photos. I will not recommend this course to anyone and I will not be back. scratch from list of courses to play. Golf now should take them off the list of courses until they make major improvements.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Laurel Island Links on 09/06/2017:

Hello Ken, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Laurel Island Links, in the Jekyll Island/Savannah area. We are sorry to hear that our course was in poor condition when you played. We appreciate your feedback, and we hope to earn your business again in the future.

"Fun day on the links."

THOMASBROADBENT's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2017

Good pace. Some holes with character. Great price.

"Lunar Eclipse"

ChuckDickhaus's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Had a great round did not get to see the Lunar Eclipse but had a good time. Will go back again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

"Still need work"

Dan7645118's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

Course is improving!

But it still needs some $$ to improve the Greens and level out the Tees!

Layout is great and for the $$$ it is a really good deal

Response from Laurel Island Links on 08/10/2017:

Hi Dan, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Laurel Island Links. We are glad you noticed our improvements! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the pace of play, staff, and course layout. We hope that you'll join us again soon for an even better round in the Savannah/Jekyll Island area.

"Fun day"

Willis5352197's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2017

Great layout, fairways in great shape, roughs are rough, greens are not in good condition but the weather has been awful. Sand traps need sand. Tee boxes are worst I've ever seen them. Staff is friendly and courteous. Cart girl is great and makes her rounds promptly. Had lunch after the round and the food was good and the serve staff was friendly. We really enjoy this course and know that once the weather cooperates the course conditions will improve. The superintendent is one of the best if not the best in the area.

johnmeadows62's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

"Not going in the right direction."

osteens2008's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Have been playing this course frequently since November. With the only other course in our area is replacing their greens, it's about the only place to play without an hour drive. First let me say the weather in our area was been from drought to flooded from week to week. Since I am not a course manager, I can only imagine what challenges this presents. What me and my group are, is recreational weekend golfers. So from our perspective is all I can provide. Since November we were understanding, every time we would say " Hopefully it will get better ". Today we went away from the Hot Deals to avoid the hot weather. Must say the driving range was in great shape, and we loved the new yardage markers. Putting green was in great shape as usual. Once we teed off and got thru the first 3 holes, we realized nothing was improving, just getting worse. The tee box conditions were hit and miss. Greens didn't have the fungus like the last round we played last month, but of course the scaring was there. Our biggest thought was, why put the hole right in the middle of the worse part of the green? There was a Starter, that also was doing double duty as a ranger. We seen him once on the back 9. Figured he was called out for us, because the guys behind kept hitting up on us. What they didn't realize was the group in front of us had 3 riders, and a walker. We were trying to pace ourselves not to hit up on them. By the way, we let a single play thru because we do know etiquette. Worse part of the round was the 2nd cut. It appears they had just cut it for the first time in awhile. They left thick clumps of the mowed grass all along the course. Like I stated before we are weekend warriors, 1 shoots in the 90's, and the other 2 shoots between 100 & 110 without handicaps. So yes, we are going to be off the fairway. I really believe the grounds crew just didn't care to blow our mow to kick the grass clippings off the course. We also noticed the holes with ridges. Come on guys, I know you can bring this course back to average at least. Yes, we will play here again just hoping we can go back to the positive reviews, we want to post. Just a side note, if management knows the condition of the course, at least inform us when we check in. A simple, We just cut the rough, we are having problems with the green maintenance due to the weather, etc. That goes along way.

Response from Laurel Island Links on 07/18/2017:

Hello Samuel, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Laurel Island Links in the Jekyll Island area. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our driving range, but we are sorry to hear that some parts of the course may have not been in the best shape when you played. Your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated so that further improvements can be made. Thank you for your loyalty over the years and we hope to see you again soon.