Highland Walk at Victoria Bryant

Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Caddies: No

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways plays long

"Good track, hidden gem"

Buck6212412's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

Good course, great value, challenging. This course is on par with the other state park golf courses in our area, there always a consistent condition and provide a good test of skills. Course is very hilly and some local knowledge is key to good scoring, but whatever you do do not walk take a cart because this course is very hilly

Commented on 12/07/2017

Thanks for your review and recommendation. Totally agree with your assessment that course knowledge is very beneficial to score well. It is a good test. Hope to see you back soon.

Captnkim's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/30/2017

Commented on 12/04/2017

Thanks for taking the time to comment and provide your recommendation. We're glad you enjoyed the course!

"Another Great Georgia State Park Golf Course"

Peter3943030's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

My first time at Highland Walk started off with a warm greeting by the staff. Range was in great shape, and I was allowed to tee off early. The course is not only scenic but fun. Very straightforward but some holes have long carries and offer a challenge. The greens were in absolutely wonderful shape with few ball marks and rolling perfectly. A treat to play and I'll be back!

Commented on 11/27/2017

We appreciate your review and recommendation. Your positive feedback regarding our course conditions will be passed on to the Superintendent. Thanks for your comments about our staff. Hope to see you back soon!

u922067291's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2017

Commented on 11/27/2017

Once again, thanks for your continued recommendation of Highland Walk. We truly appreciate your support!

GreenPanda's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

Commented on 11/20/2017

We appreciate your review and recommendation. Come back soon!

"Enjoyable outing"

TwinGolfer's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2017

Course was in good shape with perfect weather condition.

Commented on 11/08/2017

Thanks for recommending Highland Walk. We're glad you enjoyed your round and found the course in fine condition. I'll pass on your evaluation to the Superintendent. Please return soon!

u922067291's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Commented on 11/08/2017

Thanks for your continued support. We appreciate your recommendation and taking the time to provide us feedback.

Ron706's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2017

Course is challenging due mostly to hilly terrain, Scenic area. Overall a great course!

Commented on 11/06/2017

Thank you for the review and recommendation. We're glad you enjoyed the course and hope to see you back soon!

"I love this course."

timtryan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2017

the clubhouse is spartan but the staff is great. the greens are slow but are kept like a plush carpet. they are also not easy to read. I repeat; I love this course!

Commented on 10/19/2017

Thank you for the review and glad you enjoyed the course. The greens do tend to be a bit slower during this time of the year as we build them up in preparation for the winter.

"My first time here. Read this one..."

Tom1475160's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2017

The drive is quite long, but easy - not a lot of turns. When I arrived there was a very young woman behind the counter that greeted me warmly as I walked in the door. She was obviously brand new to her job, and I appreciated her hospitality. She didn't know the questions to ask to get me checked in so she called over the assistance of a 70+/yo man who is clearly the person many have included in their reviews. He gave her questions to ask me like "Do you have a rider with you?" but he'd ask it instead and look right thru me. The obvious difference in their demeanor was startling, I must say. Kind of like a grizzled old man who wanted only to be next to his woodburning stove, against the fawning of a legitimately sincere customer focused individual. My feedback would be that on days where the two of them work, the old fellow doesn't need to speak to customers because when you have a genuinely nice person who's clearly interested in your day getting off to a nice start, he just needs to re-learn human interaction or go back behind the curtain. Last thing she said to me was "How is your day going?" Nice touch by her and a disquieting uneasiness between the two of them as he was attempting to “train her”, I must say.

Off to the course. Again, my first time here. I arrived 45mins early… to hit balls. This was Monday at 11:00am and the range was closed. Not good – why is the range closed? Close it in the afternoon to pick balls when the place dies. I was scheduled to tee off at 11:50 and because I play at a high level, I like to hit balls and establish my rhythm and tempo prior to play – a key to keeping a low handicap low, and going low on the course. So, they do have an extremely nice chipping green that is oddly placed. It’s between the first green and the fifth tee box, and finding it requires a bit of a jaunt. So, I was there until 11:44 working and promptly departed so I would get to the tee box a moment prior to 11:50.

I got to the tee box at 11:48 and there were two very elderly men at the most forward tee box and two less elderly men waiting behind them at a less forward tee box. The two very elderly men were in the process of hitting their tee shots where I announced “Are you guys the 11:50 tee time?” ( I had to delineate which of these twosomes I was paired with) and they said “Yes” I said “I’m supposed to be playing with you.” The two other elderly men saw this was now a threesome, and barked “Can we play thru?” and this is the first tee box!!! Yow’za!!! So, to say this place is a cluster is a bit of an understatement – where’s the starter? She was there – she was the one who told me where to find the chipping facility. A maud of a lady complete with a tanktop (sleevless shirt). I think she might have been busy getting the cafeteria up and running or something - certainly not adhering to her duties as starter. So, the twosome tee off, in front of a scheduled threesome, and I tell the other two eldery men who I’m supposedly paired with that I play the tips and I proceed to the back tees, as I am a very low handicapper, and am accustomed to playing at well over 7,000yds. Watching the two younger, but still elderly, men play this hole was like watching paint dry. One guy had white slicked back long scraggly hair all along the side of this head and none on top, and had grown it so he could sport a pony tail - just looked completely silly, and not in golfing attire. The other was dressed like a lumberjack, complete with jeans and flannel shirt – this is golf, right? And in golf there is the notion of golfing attire? Not here – certainly not. I’ve played all over and can’t believe this – what I’m seeing.

So, from the tips of this 290yd (downhill that plays probably 270) driveable PAR 4 hole, I had to stand and watch these two slowly play out the hole, and gosh… the lumberjack had a six foot long putter that he spent gobs of time greenside at the cart fiddling with while slick willie was on the green putting. Meanwhile I’m waiting now 10mins to tee off (driveable PAR 4). As these fellows were putting out I hit my tee shot with less than full power, because I don’t want to upset these two titans of the game, and it was struck right at the flag and trickles up to the front edge of the green, and as I drive up to my two very eldery partners, they announce “You go ahead – we’ll only slow you down.” Ok. First, I understand the sentiment – very old guys who shoot 110+ do not want to be continually embarrassed by a guy shooting par or better, and they can’t feel comfortable so they feel bad to holding the better player back. The point is this – why in the world did the starter not have these clearly cohabitable group of FOUR men go off together? So, it gets worse. I make the trek to the green in a minute or less and the two guys aren’t in their cart yet. I pull up behind them, and they say “We’ll let you go in front of us on the next tee box.” And that’s fine so I acknowledge with a wave and signal of approval – I mean, I just drove the green and it took them more than 10 mins to play a silly little golf hole. So, I putt up to the pin, take my birdie, get in the cart, go under the bridge and make my way to the tips of hole #2. The silverhaired Jedi-master is teeing off. What happened to the “we’ll let you go” is what I’m thinking… but no big deal…

I stop the cart and within two seconds Paul Bunyan announces “Well, aren’t you going to go?” At this point I’m about to blow my top and have had it up to my eye balls with the goat rodeo and these non-golfers in street attire. I’ve never played this golf course before, have ZERO clue what the golf hole does, how it’s shaped, the distance, let alone the strategy to play it, and what, he’s thinking it should take me less than two seconds to discerne? That’s what I’m thinking – how dare this lumberjack in jeans and a six foot long putter that is illegal to try and hurry me, WHEN HE TEE’D OFF AT MY TEE TIME? So, I’m a big guy and much younger and spry and retort – “I’m sorry you’re having a bad day, but you just need to calm yourself down right now buddy – it takes me at least ten seconds to find my glove, put it on. Then I have figure out the hole, grab my ball, a tee, a club before I get to my tee box” and boy this made him boil, I could see his brain trying to connect with his mouth, but he had no comeback rightaway. Before I hit my tee shot he did mumble something, but I don’t speak caveman. Anyway, this hole is another driveable PAR 4 at 310yards, and I hit a laser driver into the front greenside bunker, hit that to about 6’ and made another birdie. So, I’m two under thru two holes, and have had to deal with the least savvy golfers in north Georgia on two occasions and played two driveable PAR 4 holes, which most courses, if they have one, it’s not under 300yds, but two and back to back? Well, there were more… Yawn…

So, for the rest of the round I saw not a soul on the course and was able to play golf the way it was mean to be played, with me alone with my thoughts strategizing the terrain and how to avoid mistakes, and if there were opportunities, to take them. The third hole was a medium length PAR 4, where I faded my ball to the right of the 150, and had 164 to a front right sucker pin. Ball was above my feet which meant I would not be able to get close that day, and so I favored the left meat of the green. I like the nuance of this hole. Force me to think. Ball’s above my feet so unless I put the ball back in my stance, the ball will curve hard left missing the green and leave me with a pitch. I take my PAR and go to the next.

Number four is a short PAR 5 that, after I completed the hole, I didn’t quite understand or see fully. I only saw the path to the right which is slightly uphill and a green that was hidden left by trees, requiring a draw for approach. So, I hit a stock fade to the right of the fairway and had 210yds to the center of the green. This pin was tucked far left, and I couldn’t see the pin, so hit a gorgeous pure iron to the front right of the green. When I got to the green and putted out and looked back at the hole, I saw there was a second option off the tee – a lower thinner /riskier fairway. To me, this is a waste of real-estate and something that probably causes the higher handicappers fits and slows pace of play. Only a highly skilled player can hit a thin tree lined fairway, whereas the slicer will be looking for balls and slow others down. Anyway, I took my birdie for a three under thru four and went to the next hole.

Anyway, the fairway grass was lush and superb. The rough, which I only found once during the day, was not overly penal. The green complexes are large, and the grass is a broad leaf Bermuda and not mown for speed, which is a total bummer. There were little to no ball marks, a hallmark of Bermuda, but the speed was probably a 7 or lower on a stimpmeter, so I had to hit the ball with force, which is just not realistic – you will find very few courses with greens this slow. The green speed makes it unpalatable for me to return any time soon, which is unfortunate.

If the greens were a 10 on the stimpmeter and the starting fiasco was avoided I would have no qualms at giving this place a 5-star rating. But, nothing’s perfect.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Commented on 10/24/2017

We appreciate your through review and overall recommendation. You have valid points. The confusion at the 1st tee should have been avoided. We'll reinforce the proper starting process with the staff. The greens were definitely slower on the day you played as the Superintendent began raising the mower height the week before to prepare for the winter. They are normally much quicker. I would welcome a call (706-245-6770, ask for Bill) to better discuss our rationale for the Monday range closing and the questionable dress issue. Thanks, again, for taking the time to provide your feedback.

"Another super GA State Park Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

Highland Walk is a very nice course and very well maintained. A lot of hills and doglegs, but a good design. Greens are plush - but could be a bit faster.

I would rate it as the second best State Park Course in the state just behind Arrowhead Pointe.

Commented on 10/19/2017

Thanks for your comments about the course and the well maintained conditions. Your assessment of the greens speed is accurate. Normally, they are faster, but the Superintendent is getting them ready for the colder weather. Once, this process is complete, we'll also roll them during the winter to maintain a good speed.

"Govt does something right!!"

wselness's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2017

The state of Georgia has this gig down pat. This course is another example of this. Great but challenging layout has undulating fairways, severe penalties, and awesome greens that roll true. Keep the ball in play to score here, otherwise.....

Commented on 10/16/2017

Thanks for your positive comments about our greens and the challenging layout. Hope to see you back here soon!

"Unpleasant pro shop person."

uDYAE2208DY's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2017

The course is beautiful and well maintained, however the guy checking people in at the pro shop is the worst. He doesn't seem to like his job or people.

Commented on 09/25/2017

Thanks for your feedback. Could you tell us what time you played?

"Beautiful course"

ClaraW's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Every hole on this course is unique and very challenging. Greens are in perfect condition and fairways are lush. I hope to return in a few weeks and try to improve my score, but never on a Friday afternoon again - it was very crowded!

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thank you for the review. We agree with you--this is a very challenging layout!

"Great course with Beautiful Scenery"

RettJ's avatar
Georgia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2017

What a challenging yet fun course. The first three holes are short, and great opportunities for Birdies

The course has tons of elevation changes (both up hill and down hill holes)

I truly enjoyed playing this course. It has some beautiful golf holes with beautiful scenery. I saw lots of wildlife (deer, wild turkey, birds, etc.)

The bermuda greens are awesome. There are hardly any ball marks at all on the grees. The greens ran true, fast and very smooth.

The rough is very challenging. It was challenging to find your ball off the fairways because the ball would sink down and almost dissapear in the rougn.

Great Georgia State Park golf course and as is the case with ALL the GA state park golf courses the price you pay is minimal and the golf you get is spectacular.

Overall great course with perfect weather. I will definately be back to play again.

Commented on 09/27/2017

We appreciate your comments and hope to see you back soon. A little course knowledge is a big factor to score well here.

"I'm Really Happy I tried this course"

sbboudreau1961's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

What a challenging Course. First three holes are prime candidates for Birdies, long downhill fairways, great runout, I'm at best a 240 yard driver and hole 1 my tee shot was over 250 yards and hole 2 my tee shot was 280 yards, GREAT! DO NOT TRY TO WALK THIS Course unless your in prime athletic condition. I truly enjoyed playing this course other than the 9 balls I lost which in turn rose my score. Overall great day, weather was a perfect 84 degrees light breeze. I'll be back!!!

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We're glad you enjoyed your round and are coming back!

"Great Golf Setting"

DG1's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Located in Victoria Bryant state park, Highland Walk offers up a very good golf course in a beautiful hilly forest setting. The course is straightforward and not overly long. Elevations changes provide most of the challenge. I try to make the longish drive once a year to enjoy the golf and scenery. The lack of off-course amenities such as a restaurant keep Highland Walk from the receiving a 4-star rating. Highly recommended.

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking at ways to improve our small food and beverage operation. We recently teamed up with Bar-H Barbeque restaurant to offer BBQ sandwiches and (coming soon) some other items off their menu.

proud2b's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

"Beautiful and challenging course."

SJCaballero's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

Course is in great shape. In my opinion the course is in the best shape in years. Lots of slope and hills. This course would be extremely hard to walk. Bermuda greens were flawless. Ball placement will save you sleeves of balls on this course. In summary, This is a tough course that will reward a good shot. I often joke that if you can score low here, you have tour potential! I'd bring a couple extra balls especially if it's your first visit. A great Georgia State Park course!

Commented on 09/27/2017

Thanks for your assessment about the course. We agree--the greens and overall conditions are among the best since we opened as an 18 hole facility in May of 2002. I'll pass along your comments to our Superintendent and maintenance staff!

"Great course in excellent shape."

SJCaballero's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

Enjoyable yet challenging course. Bermuda greens were a bit slow but flawless. Ball placement is crucial. Bring extra balls and enjoy the course.