Mary Calder Golf Club

• 2101 W Lathrop Ave, Savannah, Georgia 31402, Chatham County
  • www.marycaldergc.com

Year built: 1937
Architect(s): George Cobb (1967)
Type: Semi-Private

Caddies: No

Driving range: No

Dress code: No Tank Tops or Cutoffs
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Great for beginners

Baker2565484's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2017

"This is not a negative..."

Jon2174666's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

I've played nicer courses, more prestigious courses, courses that have pristine and manicured greens. This is not one of those courses.

What this is, is a friendly, forgiving and FUN course. It's not exceptionally challenging, but it allowed a poor golfer such as myself to enjoy the game for what it is... a game. I played the course solo and there was never pressure to pickup because someone was pressing from behind. The wide open fairways and greens allowed me to focus on my shots.

I truly enjoyed this course and will definitely play it again!!! This course reminded me that golf is a game to be enjoyed and not a challenge to stress you out. I recommend it for those who want to be reminded what it's like to play and just have fun!!!

"Needs some love"

Alex8147030's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

The cras needs to be cut but we played for $12 so can't expect that much. Also if you just walk in you can play all day for only $20

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/24/2017:

Hi Alex, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear the course conditions were not enjoyable during your round. We will pass this information along to the appropriate team and look to make enhancements moving forward. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the staff friendliness and course layout. Thank you for stopping by Mary Calder Golf Club and we hope to see you back soon!

"New pro making some improvememts"

Rke6327953's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

I have played this course probably 8 times in the past two years. There have been three different pros here over that time. This course was kind of run down a year ago but the new pro has just come in and there are some upgrades being made in the condition of the fairways and greens. Course is an excellent value for the money and is getting better all the time. Friendly staff.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/19/2017:

Hello Richard, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Really bad course"

SavannahBill's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This golf course is in horrible shape. Foot high weeds growing in the fairways; greens with half grass, half dirt; tee boxes not too bad. One bright spot was the sand traps. They were mostly nicely raked and pretty playable. Oh, and the staff was pleasant.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/17/2017:

Hello Bill, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you found our staff firendly Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Fairway?"

Jovanni9889257's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

There is no telling on where the Fairway starts or ends.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/05/2017:

Hello Jovanni, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Think twice"

Sharpster1968's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

Course not maintained. Only a nine hole course, not 18. Golf Advisor should not indicate 18 hole course.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/08/2017:

Hello Larry, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your subpar experience, we will pass your feedback onto the appropriate department. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Good nine hole course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

I like this course. The fairways are wide. I was plus 2 in losing/ finding balls lol. The price is awesome if you want a course to work on your game. It's a nine hole course but I usually shoot 18 and do better the second time around. 48-45 today.. the greens are a bit rough. I know it's not the most beautiful course but there are enough traps to make it challenging and I played 18 for $14.00 so not bad

"Great Value.. OK Course"

Pgregg620's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2017

I play this course when I catch the right deal on GN. Decent 9 holes, Fairly challenging. clubhouse sucks, but every ten rounds or so I get a $10 credit grom GN so i play this course for $5 and the staff, which are all very friendly will let me play the course again for $2-5 upcharge if I have time. If you can catch the right deal it is a good course to play as it is rarely crowded and a good course to take your time "brush up" your rough spots in your game. green conditions are fair at best but overall for an average price of $7 every ten rounds I play I can't complain!

LibertyGolfer90's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2017

Response from Mary Clader Tee Times on 02/01/2017:

We regret to see that our course conditions, staff friendliness, and course layout were not ideal for your round. We assure you this is not the level we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. We hope to see you again soon to make up for this experience.

"Shadow of its former self"

rogercpa1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

I grew up in Savannah playing this course when it was owned and maintained by the Union Camp Corp as a semi-public facility primarily for the enjoyment of UC employees and their families. Now owned and operated by International Paper Corp, IP has decreed that the course must be self-supporting, which is to say, it's poorly maintained and as such a shadow of its former self. Better to turn it into a wildlife refuge than to maintain it in its present poor condition.

Commented on 09/16/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve. We are constantly working on course conditions and look forward to having you back soon.

"Sad state of affairs"

rogercpa1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016

Once upon a time Mary Calder GC was a pretty decent 9 hole course, put there and supported by its previous owner, the Union Camp Corporation, for the enjoyment of its employees. Now, under the neglectful ownership of Union Camp's successor corporation, International Paper Corporation, Mary Calder is a poorly maintained shadow of its former self. If you're looking for cheap golf and poor playing conditions, play this course.

Commented on 09/16/2016

"It is what it is"

groundedwatts's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

On a whim, myself and 3 other friends decided to play this course while in town. We were unsure if we were in the right place while driving towards a large industrial plant and nearly turned around before seeing a few golfers on carts.

We kept trucking and found the clubhouse, entered and paid $14 for 9 holes of golf. What a deal that was.

We all really enjoyed playing the course. We knew it was not a TPC Sawgrass level course and did not go in expecting anything super awesome. We did, however, find a welcoming course that was challenging enough for us to compete and have a great day even thought it was sweltering hot outside.

I would definitely go back again if I were ever back in town again.

Thanks!

"Best fun ever, for a Husband and Wife!"

SullenOne's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

Golfers, with negative comments about Mary Calder Golf Club, please be advised…

in less than a month, 2 greens mower, 1 Cushman, 1 rough mower, 1 Gator (Use to pull weed sprayer), and 1 Fairway mower have been stolen or vandalized, at this Golf Course, which at best is on a Shoe String Budget.

Further, please stop calling this a “Golf Course in the middle of an Industrial Park…

Simply walk into their entrance, turn right, there on the wall is an Aerial photo of Mary Calder, opening day 1937, with tennis courts, where now stand their driving range.

An Industrial Park sprung up…around Mary Calder Golf Club.

Is this course rough? Yes, it could use some help, but it is perfectly playable, given the above.

As a matter of fact, I saw a grounds keeper, mowing, with the same riding mower I have back in Atlanta…no kidding! The staff is trying its best, under the circumstances

For the last 8 years, Michael Pope has champion, The First Tee Organization, from this location, helping children learn to play and love golf. I checked, before I came down to visit my Mother…There are no municipal golf courses in Savannah. This course is a Great value: You can pay $15 during the week and golf ALL DAY LONG, with a cart! Same goes for the weekend; $20 gets you all day too!

I have only been golfing for 2 months, my Wife, has now joined Me, and this was only her second time on the Links…WE LOVED IT.

Great friendly staff, especially Michael Pope, and not 1 rude golfer on the 9 hole course…

People were telling Me, they needed to get their Wives, children or that Uncle, who wants to learn to play, out on the course.

This is Savannah’s last hope for the common Man. Unless You are rich (Which I am not) and can pay the $105 greens fee at The Club at Savannah Harbor, this is the best golf value, ever!

If there are any Big Businesses, Philanthropies, Anyone…please help out, in any way you can.

GOLFNOW, I think it best suits you, too send a rep, and check out the situation, because if this course fails, you’re going to lose a lot of clients.

While, You and I are working during the day, someone is sleeping...

At night, when you and I are asleep, someone, who’s been sleeping all day, wakes up and wrecks havoc on this world.

Don’t let individuals like that win, help support Mary Calder Golf Club!

Commented on 07/15/2016

Dear SullenOne-

We thank you for your unconditional support and appreciate your understanding for the circumstances we have recently been through. We love having you on the course and are grateful for golfers like you! Please come play with us any time.

Mary Calder Golf Management

"tdug65"

tdug65's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I was hoping for nice course in a southern state since I am from up North. Yes, I got good deal thru Golfnow, but course was not what I expected. Greens were uneven and rough. Fairways were average. I should have paid a bit more and went somewhere nicer. Was also very hard to find course. Was in the middle of a industrial park.

Commented on 05/20/2016

Tdug,

We do not like to see that you had a bad experience with us. We hope we can offer a better time next round.

Mary Calder Golf Club

"Mary Calder - a locals perspective"

kjsmiff's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This is a great 9 hole layout. The staff is friendly, and the value can't be beat around here. There is a blitz that goes out at 9 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. They have Golf Now reservations during that time which could create a problem, as they haven't worked with Golf Now to make those tee times unavailable. We were teeing off on the 5th hole from the tips when a couple of guys drove up the fairway to the tees they play and attempted to jump right in front of us. We worked it out.

Commented on 05/20/2016

Kjsmiff,

We appreciate the local perspective. We are looking into the issue of tee times and will address this right away. Thanks for the feedback.

Mary Calder Management

"Great Course for Beginners and Those Who Want to Get Back Into the Swing"

J122's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

The manager, Michael, is a true Southern Gentleman. I've NEVER been treated so well at a golf course anywhere, and have played almost every course in Savannah, GA. The Course is not difficult, but since I haven't played for a while and was never really good at the game, it's a terrific course for me. We had so much fun we went back two days in a row. The weather was great! The company was fun and the course was just enough for the two of us (both seniors 82 and 72 respectively). I wish Intl Paper would put a little money into fixing the cart paths -- they ARE bumpy and to avoid them, one must drive on parts of the course that should be reserved for walkers. Coffee is FREE! I rather wished they charged and then offered cream instead of that white chalk. And I wish they had something good to eat. Overall, I love the place and am so glad we visited. Be sure to see Michael -- he's the bomb, and not just with us. I saw him act the same way with everyone else with whom he spoke. Oh! I did not lose ONE ball!

Commented on 04/05/2016

J122,

Thank you for the great comments! We are so glad you found our staff to be friendly and we look forward to your return!

Mary Calder Golf Club Management

"don't waste your money"

555speedy's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2015

I'm a local and am just a fair player, but i have NEVER been treated so poorly anywhere let alone a golf course that needs the business. they have a manager there that complains about the carts EVERYTIME we play, there is zero concern about you or your play. I will not play there ever again, my 6 other friends also have had enough. i did not even get to play today because of the RUDE way of this person, the course is like playing in you backyard as well. until they do something with management i or my friends will no longer play at this facility. AWFUL .

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

"I had fun the fairways were in good shape"

uKFWF4413KF's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/3/2013

I have played this course a lot over the years. It was in decent shape and had its challenges. For the money it was worth it. I guess occasionally you run across a member who thinks he can do whatever he wants with no regard for golf etiquette. He made me mad from the very beginning by starting his round on hole #9 instead of #1 which put him in front of me 3/4 of the round. That would have been okay but as I easily caught up to him on practically every hole, he would not let me play through. I was playing par golf until I caught him. I even went to the club house after he picked his own tee box and got some snacks and came back and still caught up to him. What a jerk! Well any way I probably will not play there again for a while!

"needs some work"

will7805871's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/5/2013

Played 18 on a weekday morning at about 11 o'clock. The course had very few people on it which was nice, The tee boxes were uneven and poorly kept, the fairways looked like someones front yard that hadn't been mowed in about 2 weeks. The greens were uneven but decent for the most part. When we made it to the third hole, was when the greenskeepers decided it would be time to start cutting the grass, which kept interrupting with our game as they would be cutting fairways when we were trying to tee off. None of the water coolers had anything in them, this course needs a lot of attention, it was my first time playing it, and definitely my last.