Mary Calder Golf Club

Driving range: No

Dress code: No Tank Tops or Cutoffs
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Great for beginners

"Great day despite terrible conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

I read all the reviews prior to booking, and I was reluctant to play but I’m beyond happy that I did. It was incredibly cold, and slightly drizzling but it didn’t downplay the course, whatsoever. The fairways and greens were surprisingly nice, better than some courses in Bluffton. The only issue was the construction for some of the ditches on the fairways. Staff was incredibly friendly, felt like a family was running the course. I would recommend this course to a friend, and I can’t wait to see how much the course improves in the future.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 01/05/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We hope that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you will see improvements in the course conditions the next time you are with us. It looks like you had a smooth round and a friendly experience with our staff, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for recommending our golf course, in the Savannah, GA area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Great for beginners"

KathyCampbell's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/30/2017

We're on vacation and hadn't golfed for about 2 months. This was the perfect course to get the feel of it again. Would definitely recommend it for beginners or hackers like us.

Kevin3649447's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 10/26/2017:

Hello Kevin, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club in the Jekyll Island/Savannah area, and for the 3 stars. We see that the course may not have been in the best conditions when you played and your feedback is appreciated for future improvements. However, we're glad you enjoyed our course layout and received a great value for your round. Thank you for your choosing our course and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Good for a practice round"

uARQX1070AR's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This was my first time at Mary Caulder. My partner had olayed there recently so I knew what to expect. The pro shop welcomed me and we went out right away.

Not crowded (threatening weather) so pace of play was whatever we wanted. The course layout was good but maintenance could have been better. The traps didn't have much sand but I got out of the one I hit into okay. The greens were very slow.

This is a good course for the money but don't expect country club conditions. I would return.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 10/19/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Mary Calder Golf Club in the Savannah area, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear about the slow greens and level of maintenance, but we hope you will see improvements during your next round as your feedback is greatly appreciated. It looks like you enjoyed the overall value of your round, which we are glad to hear. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

"Lake Calder"

MICHAELu7911788's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2017

Course has received a lot of rain prior to me playing, hole #1 still a lake in front of tee box. Some greens being worked on, still a few wet areas on course.Hole #2 really wet.It's nice to see some work putting in to course.Will be a lot better when dried out. I like the course because your never rushed. Great day to really dial in some golf shots. Always enjoy threading the oaks off the blue tees on 1 and 10. Staff ALWAYS great to talk to. GN deal couldn't pass up. Great course to work on your game. Looks like there growing in a new practice putting green.

"Mary Calder is comming back"

TERRY7272's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2017
First time playing Hot weather

I know Mary Calder had fallen on hard times for a few years...but today it was enjoyable. The greens were a little slow dew to the course staff had the day off(Columbus Day)I could tell that they would put pretty well when cut. I made 3 birdies even though they were slow. Every green is trapped and elevated and the only real weakness on the course is that the traps need some new sand. I am actually looking forward to play here again....If you like to play fast with no waiting ...Play Mary Calder.

"Great Changes since my last review"

ddjdsj's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

My compliments to Cameron , the guy who is instrumental in bringing the greens, fairways, and rough back into playing condition. Very enjoyable now. The bunkers are clean, but could use some real bunker sand. Their is a new putting green that looks fabulous. It's supposed to be ready in a couple of more weeks.

Staff is very accommodating. Carts are always well prepared. Look forward to playing again soon.

Scrappy Jackson

Baker2565484's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2017

"This is not a negative..."

Jon2174666's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

I've played nicer courses, more prestigious courses, courses that have pristine and manicured greens. This is not one of those courses.

What this is, is a friendly, forgiving and FUN course. It's not exceptionally challenging, but it allowed a poor golfer such as myself to enjoy the game for what it is... a game. I played the course solo and there was never pressure to pickup because someone was pressing from behind. The wide open fairways and greens allowed me to focus on my shots.

I truly enjoyed this course and will definitely play it again!!! This course reminded me that golf is a game to be enjoyed and not a challenge to stress you out. I recommend it for those who want to be reminded what it's like to play and just have fun!!!

"Needs some love"

Alex8147030's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

The cras needs to be cut but we played for $12 so can't expect that much. Also if you just walk in you can play all day for only $20

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/24/2017:

Hi Alex, thank you for taking the time to review your experience and rating our course. We regret to hear the course conditions were not enjoyable during your round. We will pass this information along to the appropriate team and look to make enhancements moving forward. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the staff friendliness and course layout. Thank you for stopping by Mary Calder Golf Club and we hope to see you back soon!

"New pro making some improvememts"

Rke6327953's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

I have played this course probably 8 times in the past two years. There have been three different pros here over that time. This course was kind of run down a year ago but the new pro has just come in and there are some upgrades being made in the condition of the fairways and greens. Course is an excellent value for the money and is getting better all the time. Friendly staff.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/19/2017:

Hello Richard, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Really bad course"

SavannahBill's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This golf course is in horrible shape. Foot high weeds growing in the fairways; greens with half grass, half dirt; tee boxes not too bad. One bright spot was the sand traps. They were mostly nicely raked and pretty playable. Oh, and the staff was pleasant.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/17/2017:

Hello Bill, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you found our staff firendly Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Fairway?"

Jovanni9889257's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

There is no telling on where the Fairway starts or ends.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/05/2017:

Hello Jovanni, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Think twice"

Sharpster1968's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

Course not maintained. Only a nine hole course, not 18. Golf Advisor should not indicate 18 hole course.

Response from Mary Calder Golf Club on 05/08/2017:

Hello Larry, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your subpar experience, we will pass your feedback onto the appropriate department. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Good nine hole course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

I like this course. The fairways are wide. I was plus 2 in losing/ finding balls lol. The price is awesome if you want a course to work on your game. It's a nine hole course but I usually shoot 18 and do better the second time around. 48-45 today.. the greens are a bit rough. I know it's not the most beautiful course but there are enough traps to make it challenging and I played 18 for $14.00 so not bad

"Great Value.. OK Course"

Pgregg620's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2017

I play this course when I catch the right deal on GN. Decent 9 holes, Fairly challenging. clubhouse sucks, but every ten rounds or so I get a $10 credit grom GN so i play this course for $5 and the staff, which are all very friendly will let me play the course again for $2-5 upcharge if I have time. If you can catch the right deal it is a good course to play as it is rarely crowded and a good course to take your time "brush up" your rough spots in your game. green conditions are fair at best but overall for an average price of $7 every ten rounds I play I can't complain!

LibertyGolfer90's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2017

Response from Mary Clader Tee Times on 02/01/2017:

We regret to see that our course conditions, staff friendliness, and course layout were not ideal for your round. We assure you this is not the level we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. We hope to see you again soon to make up for this experience.

"Shadow of its former self"

rogercpa1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

I grew up in Savannah playing this course when it was owned and maintained by the Union Camp Corp as a semi-public facility primarily for the enjoyment of UC employees and their families. Now owned and operated by International Paper Corp, IP has decreed that the course must be self-supporting, which is to say, it's poorly maintained and as such a shadow of its former self. Better to turn it into a wildlife refuge than to maintain it in its present poor condition.

Commented on 09/16/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve. We are constantly working on course conditions and look forward to having you back soon.

"Sad state of affairs"

rogercpa1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016

Once upon a time Mary Calder GC was a pretty decent 9 hole course, put there and supported by its previous owner, the Union Camp Corporation, for the enjoyment of its employees. Now, under the neglectful ownership of Union Camp's successor corporation, International Paper Corporation, Mary Calder is a poorly maintained shadow of its former self. If you're looking for cheap golf and poor playing conditions, play this course.

Commented on 09/16/2016

"It is what it is"

groundedwatts's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

On a whim, myself and 3 other friends decided to play this course while in town. We were unsure if we were in the right place while driving towards a large industrial plant and nearly turned around before seeing a few golfers on carts.

We kept trucking and found the clubhouse, entered and paid $14 for 9 holes of golf. What a deal that was.

We all really enjoyed playing the course. We knew it was not a TPC Sawgrass level course and did not go in expecting anything super awesome. We did, however, find a welcoming course that was challenging enough for us to compete and have a great day even thought it was sweltering hot outside.

I would definitely go back again if I were ever back in town again.

Thanks!