Makalei Hawaii Country Club

3.9222000000 3.9 stars from 5 (180)

• 72-3890 Hawaii Belt Rd, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, Hawaii 96740, Hawaii County, USA

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Championship 72 7091 yards 74.3 144

Average Rating 3.9 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers thick rough   Great for drinks

"Great course and friendly staff"

apetrus's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

We were staying in Kailua-Konya for a week and I played Makalei GC and had an awesome experience!!! I liked it so much I purchased the three round - 18 hole special for tourists for $198. The course was great - very challenging but fair, the greens awesome and true, the staff courteous and friendly, especially the Head Pro, Peter Finnegan PGA Pro. I highly recommend this course to anyone visiting Kailua-Kona!! Besides a great course to play with great vista's overlooking the Pacific Ocean - you will see lava tubes, wild peacocks, wild turkeys, wild pigs, wild pheasants, mongooses, beautiful tropical birds serving as a gallery for you.

"Great time!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

This booking was a great value for Hawaii!! The staff was awesome. Great customer service! Food and drinks and nice gear available if needed.

We loved the wild life on the course. There were many types of birds that we feed seed bought at the course.

Lots of tricky slopes on the greens. The elevation on some holes made it hard to walk but a great time was had by all. Would golf this again for sure!!!

"Hawaiian Surprise"

pviggiano's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Definitely not a resort course which was a nice change. Layout was nestled among trees yet open fairways for the most part. Peacocks at every green and tee. Occasional turkey and grouse can be seen. VISTAs were spectacular. The course was pretty dry and tees beat up but greens were above average. Great value for the money!

"Fun course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2017

The course is a lot of fun and challenging. The fairways and tee boxes could use some TLC. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Would definitely play again. The peacocks are amazing!

"Fun time"

Daniel4905641's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

I took family from mainland who were visiting . The enjoyed course layout, very different from resort courses. Wildlife was fun to watch. Course was a challange as flat lies were hard to come by but that was what made it fun. Recommend everyone should plat at least once.

vandal73's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

"High Country Golf"

Jeffrey6581034's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2017

Makalei is an interesting course in excess of 2,000 feet above sea level. Interesting elevation changes, good conditions and cooler temperatures. Nice break from the heat. I would recommend playing this course

"A must play"

konagoat's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

After playing here for 15 years, I still look forward to the next tee time. Challenging, beautiful, affordable and a new experience on every hole.

"Good Day!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2017

Course was in good shape, including the greens! Some awesome views and changes in elevation!

u000006420037's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/21/2017

Response from Makalei Tee Times on 01/26/2017:

We regret to see that our pace of play, staff friendliness, and course conditions were not ideal for your round. We assure you this is not the level we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon to make up for this experience.

"Peacocks Anyone?"

bobashrak's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/17/2017

Excellent value at a unique course.

Working directly through the course, you can get three rounds for less than $200.

DEFINITELY need a golf cart since Makalei is on the side of a mountain. However, its design makes excellent use of its unique topography.

Lots of birds around, especially peacocks.

We played Makalei three times this January and every round was enjoyable.

"Poor Personality"

Gerald7278413's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/07/2017

The course and views were amazing but the pro shop guy needs a reality check. Golf is a luxury these days and consumers have a choice. If you're vacationing and want an amazing experience from the time you step foot out of your vehicle, you may want to try a different course. This guy totally didn't appreciate the fact that I was patronizing his course which set the tone for my round. To my amazement when I was done, the pro shop guy walked right past me and didn't say one word. Golfers deserve better treatment especially when visiting courses for the first time.

Response from Makalei Tee Times on 01/12/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We regret to hear that our staff friendliness was not up to par for your round. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. We look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Fun course, but disappointing experience"

u571917430's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

The course was in decent condition, and exactly what I expected for the $54 rate that we paid. The scenery was beautiful and the layout was really fun. Where I really had an issue was for the fact that a marshall came out and ended our round on the 16th tee. It was 5:30 and the sun doesn't set until 6:00!! I get that they don't want carts on those steep cart paths in the dark and I heard the pro tell us that they'd like to have us in by 5:30, but what I was angry about was a marshal telling us we had to go in when we had more than enough time to finish. The 16th hole is a par 3. We are on the tee about to hit and we are told not to play. I asked if we could at least finish this last hole and he says no.

The lack of consideration that we are clearly tourists on vacation looking to get in a full round was frustrating. It was almost as frustrating as the fact that we sat behind a foresome of beginning golfers with no help from that marshall the whole round. If we would have done his job throughout the round we should have been able to finish. I think the kicker was watching the whole staff roll out of the parking lot as we were waiting for our ride and there was still tons of light. Where I come from the staff is always willing to stay until dark in an effort to give the players a chance to finish. Maybe these guys should think about sticking around for an extra 30-45 minutes and letting people get what they paid for.

Response from Makalei Tee Times on 01/12/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Wonderful layout"

danahoch's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2016

My son and I played the course. He is 11, and so we played the forward, green tees, which are a challenge enough. This is beautiful course, with every hole unique. There are spectacular views, and rain forest drives between holes. Cool, misty day with some rain but no downpours. I suggest you purchase the course guide before your round as there lots of shots that are tough to figure yardage. Hands down the best course we played in Hawaii.

"A Rough Time on the Peacock Farm"

Bobemac's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2016

After playing three great courses on the Kohala coast we were in for a big turnaround.

Mike in the golf shop was friendly and helpful as was Nathan the starter,

Then our odyssey began; They have completely rearranged the sequence of holes

since we last played here. The GPS doesn't work anymore. Hole #9 used to be #16.

They said the holes were changed because under the previous routing the first four were

too difficult so that the players were taking too much time and it was backing up the course.

Riding to the first tee is like a ten minute tour of an ancient Hawaiian forest. Flocks of peacocks, turkeys, and Nene marauded the landscape with the peacocks acting like aggressive panhandlers, You will make a steep climb to near the top of the course.

The course itself is in deplorable shape. There are no real tee boxes, just patches of mown weeds that are tough to tee up. The fairways are the most convoluted meandering patches of mown weeds. Flat lies are a non-event here. The greens were tricky but nice and smooth.

Makalai is weird golf Hawaiian style and it does not come cheap. Their Kama'aina rate

is more expensive than Hapuna a much better conditioned and beautiful golf course.

Response from Makalei Tee Times on 12/12/2016:

We regret to hear that our course conditions were not ideal for you during your round. We will be sure to notify our staff and fix things accordingly. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful! Come again soon.

"Super Friendly Staff"

u000008202270's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Playing at Makalei is a real treat!

The Pro Shop Staff are friendly, knowledgable and efficient. The Starters are all friendly informative and efficiently keep players on the course rather than waiting.

Once at the First Tee you get a glimpse of Hawaii as you believe it should be. From then thru the 18th you will only glimpse other players on the course. What you will see is a myriad of animal life. Including of course the abundant Peacocks that are the course logo.

This course is truly a hidden gem.

"Not as good as the first time"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2016

The course is built into the side of the mountain and is set up pretty well for the landscape. However, there sems to be a need for some maintenance to the course. The fairways weren't nearly as nice as when we first played the course 2 years ago on our honeymoon. Our first cart had some issues, but overall the carts weren't all that clean. And the thing is is that you have to take a cart to play this course. The main thing though was that the course just wasn't in as good of shape as the first time we played. Fairways weren't mown, and just didn't look very good.

Commented on 10/27/2016

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and are continuing to work on course conditions. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience

"Nestled in a rain forest!"

u000004719806's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2016

A beautiful course, meandering through a lush rain forest as you approach the tee. Picturesque tee boxes and walls built of lava. Fairways And greens in excellent condition. Colorful peacocks are scattered throughout the course, feeding and sometimes even approaching you curiously. The Hawaiian state bird, Nene, and multiple other birds abound. Enjoy a great panoramic views of the shoreline below. Really like driving through a rain forest while enjoying a wonderful round of golf.

Staff very friendly, and pro shop has some nice clothing selections.

"Wonderful in the jungle"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016

This was the first course we played in any of our visits to Hawaii. Normally they jacked the price up so high you can't afford to play Anywhere. On an off chance we decided to look at golf now and see if anywhere on Kona we could play. To our surprise we found a wonderful course with wonderful people running it at an affordable price the rental clubs were Top Notch restaurant and pro Shop we're small but first-rate. This course alone is enough that when we return to the islands Kona will be one of our stops.

"Disappointed, sad course conditions, due to pending sale"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Played Makalei in 2011-2012, total of 4x.

was such a good value....back then!!

Today, September 7, 2016. not so much. Visitor rate 3x that of local resident rate; $60 versus resident $19.50. For a course in poor condition, not a maintenance person in sight on the course. This is very unusual for a Hawaii course.

For a course where ONLY the greens are being maintained. Probably due to the course is up for sale, now reduced 1/2 after a year on the market.

Tees not well kept, fairways have 6" tall crab type grass sporadically growing, even down the middle. Rough 1st cut is 6" tall, rough around greens 6" and ragged.

Disappointed in value, will not return until new ownership comes aboard.

sad, this may not happen and what could happen is the loss of this once great, non resort type Big Island golf course.

Commented on 09/21/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve course conditions and take your comments very seriously. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

Commented on 09/21/2016