Makalei Hawaii Country Club

Metal spikes allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Championship 72 7091 yards 74.3 144
Peacock (W) 72 3582 yards 60.3 103

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers thick rough   Great for drinks

"It will get better"

uZDZQ9542ZD's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

I played this course 30 years ago when it was a tough beautiful track. It’s been allowed to get pretty rough

The greens had just been sanded too that would have been nice to know- in advance!!

It’s hard to justify any more than $50 for this course, in spite of a beautiful layout and just overall poor conditions. The views cannot be matched anywhere on the island.

The good news is it is obvious the new managers are working to make the course playable again.

I’ll come back The high rating speaks for itsel, a good test.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

Great course layout. The hilly terrain keeps the course interesting and challenging. The only downside is that the sand traps have not been maintained, apparently for years. I understand the course is under new management, so I expect that the traps will be refurbished soon.

"Mixed Bag"

brovarnm's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2017

I have to echo previous sentiments that this course is in really bad shape.

Greens are in horrible shape. Teeboxes are a disaster (played the whites) and the bunkers (devoid of rakes for the most part) haven't been cared for by maintenance in what appears to be months?! There are actually bunkers and areas under construction with no forewarning. Glad I didn't land my fairway shot on that bulldozer!!

The good. The fairways are looking and playing well. The staff is great and very courteous. The ocean views are still present and won't let you down! Beautiful! The temps are always a relief from other lowland courses.

Don't pay more than the hot deal or you're probably better off playing a little more for Hapuna or BICC.

p.s. Curse you 12 and 13!! I'll be back for you!

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 09/28/2017:

Hello, thank you for giving our course, Makalei Golf Club, in the Kailua Kona area, a three-star review. We are sorry to hear that our course was in poor condition when you last played. But, we are happy that you enjoyed our course layout and that you found our staff friendly. We appreciate your feedback, and we'll see you on the course soon.

"A Faded Gem"

Robindea's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017
Previously played Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

I've played this course 3 times in the past when I came to the big island, and found it to be quirky fun. Now, it is clearly struggling, having just changed ownership. I understand the new owner is committed to reviving the course. It needs a lot of reviving. The greens are horrible, with disease spots all over. The bunkers haven't been raked, turned or cleaned in months. The fairways are playable, but in spite of drought conditions in South Kohala, are slightly overwatered. I hope this course can be saved, but it is not a good value now, in spite of the reasonable cost.

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 09/06/2017:

Hello Robin, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Makalei Golf Club, in the Kailua Kona area. We are sorry to hear that our course was not in the best shape when you played. But, we are happy to see that you found our staff friendly and that you enjoyed the course layout. Thank you for playing with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Golf in Paradise"

sawboston's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Mountainous couse with plenty of bird life. Staff very friendly. Play a bit earlier in the summer to get the best weather and floral conditions. Looking forward to the next trip!

"This is a course built by a large mountain."

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

You've never played such a steep course! All parts of this course are angled top challenge play. Long drives come up short and poor drives can run down hill to the green. The grass is great to play on, but the course gets a little muddy from the daily rain. I highly recommend this course to anyone coming to the big island that wants to cool down while playing golf.

"Needs serious reconditioning"

Dante8747951's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

Hidden Gem? This course at first seemed cool with the long drive through thick forests and beatiful peacocks. But the condition was terrible. The bunkers were unplayable and certain areas of the fairway as well. Multiple times I had to move my ball over 10 yards just to find Some grass. Some of the tee boxes looked like the rough. If the conditions were better, The course would be pretty fun to play. Definitely not worth the rate, or even a hot deal for me. If you have played hapuna or mauna lani you be extremely disappointed with this course.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 07/05/2017:

Hello Dante, thank you for taking the time to review Makalei Golf Club in Hawaii. We are sorry to hear that the course may not have been up to par when you played. Your feedback is appreciated and we hope you will see an improvement for your next round. We are happy to see that you had a great experience with our staff and that you had a smooth round. Thank you for golfing with us and we hope to see you again soon.

mel333's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

Had a great time. Golf course was in good condition.

"Interesting layout"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

This is not a resort course.

Amenities are minimal but still good value especially if you could get discounted rate from GolfNow.com.

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 06/09/2017:

Hello Peter, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Hidden Gem"

msmithcsrs's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

This course has improved substantially from when I last played it in 2014. I think it was facing semi-drought conditions in 2014. Currently, it is green and the fairways have grown in substantially. While the fairways are not pristine, especially in extreme sloping areas, they are very playable. There still are plenty of weeds in the fairways, but typically they don’t impact play.

The dramatic elevation changes downhill and uphill provide an unforgettable golf experience. This is a course of spectacular character. You really need a range finder with slope technology to judge distances accurately. I had one uphill shot measuring 132 yards but the slope indicator on my range finder read 161 yards. I hit a 160 yard club to the center of the green. There were dramatic differences downhill as well.

This course has substantial distances between many holes. The distances and difficulty make for a long round. While I read several reviews of single players playing under 3 hours, I think this is the exception. You would have to have no one in front of you. We had no one in front of us the entire round and it took us a little over 4.5 hours as a threesome. We typically play a normal course in 3.5 hours if we don't have to wait. On the day we played we did have rain on the first three holes which could have added to our playing time.

The greens can be tricky to read, but beautifully receptive to approach shots and true rolling. They are reasonably fast considering how lush and green they are. Reading some of the greens reminded me of the “mystery spot” in Kentucky where your eyes trick you into thinking you are on an incline when you are completely level. We tried reading the greens with feel from our feet to judge the slope which appeared to prove more effective than judging with our eyes.

When I reviewed this course three years ago, I said I would not go back; however, I had a friend along on this trip who had never played it, and we had time to play all the courses on the island. I’m glad I went back. I was favorably impressed with the improvement in the course from 2014, and I highly recommend it now.

"Challenging but fair"

riebanks's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Played this on my own while on vacation and got around in under 3 hours. Staff was great and the marshal checked with me 2 or 3 times to see how the pace was. All the regulars let me play through and only had to wait on a tee box one time on a par 3. Course was in great condition and played fairly with true fairways that funneled into playable lies and true greens that were readable and in good shape. I'll definitely play again when I'm back in Hawaii.

"Uneven lies"

HeartDoc1's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

extreme undulating fairways. Multiple breaks on greens.

never a flat lie.

fairways not well maintained.

Peacocks were beautiful.

No adjoining fairways were nice.

Not a friendly course for a beginner.

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 05/02/2017:

Thanks for your review, Reginald. We regret to hear that the conditions during your round were subpar, as that's not the standard we aim to provide. It's encouraging to see the positive rating of our staff friendliness and we do we that you'll consider playing our course again in the future.

"Over priced"

Maddiekennedy's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

The course was recommended by a local resident. Couldn't get a signal for my gps so was on my own to estimate yardage which was a challenge as there are no fairway yardage makers to be found. If your looking for a course to hang out with the guys and horse around it's fine. If you on vacation and you're golf purist save your money and head to the resort courses. Great bird watching!

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 04/27/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"A good public course with great views"

RobertFlanagan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

This course is a typical public golf course in terms of condition. The greens would rate above average but are slow. It is a course with big elevation changes. Lots of wild life with peacocks in abundance,along with NeeNees and turkeys. The views can only be appreciated on clear days, but it is a lush green layout.

Response from Makalei Golf Club on 04/26/2017:

Hello Bob, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"True Gem"

dagojer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017
First time playing Walked Verified Purchaser

Great course , views , wildlife , and not ringed by a condos . One of the best if not thee best non-resort course on the island . This course will become a regular stop for me when visiting Hi . Enjoyed everything about the course , no complaints from me . Play it you wont be sorry . If your reading this you already know you will get a great deal for this course on golfnow.

"Would play again"

ericaasen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Very friendly staff on course. Very challenging course from blue tees. Greens were decent, fairways and tee boxes a little rough in some areas. It was a treat to play here.

"Way up there"

u000008196185's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

This course wasn't all that bad. The 1drawback was you had to travel it seemed like 5 miles in the cart to get to the 1st tee. You could never walk this course. It was pretty hilly. There were speed bumps in the cart path. Other than that this course wasn't all that bad. The beverage girl came around quite often but $6 a beer seems a bit steep. They have a nice little restaurant run by a little Asian women and their chicken bowl was pretty good. The price was right on golf now.

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

"Great course and friendly staff"

apetrus's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

We were staying in Kailua-Konya for a week and I played Makalei GC and had an awesome experience!!! I liked it so much I purchased the three round - 18 hole special for tourists for $198. The course was great - very challenging but fair, the greens awesome and true, the staff courteous and friendly, especially the Head Pro, Peter Finnegan PGA Pro. I highly recommend this course to anyone visiting Kailua-Kona!! Besides a great course to play with great vista's overlooking the Pacific Ocean - you will see lava tubes, wild peacocks, wild turkeys, wild pigs, wild pheasants, mongooses, beautiful tropical birds serving as a gallery for you.

"Great time!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

This booking was a great value for Hawaii!! The staff was awesome. Great customer service! Food and drinks and nice gear available if needed.

We loved the wild life on the course. There were many types of birds that we feed seed bought at the course.

Lots of tricky slopes on the greens. The elevation on some holes made it hard to walk but a great time was had by all. Would golf this again for sure!!!