Cary Country Club

Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Blue Grass
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/15

Driving range: No

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals seniors beginners   Challenges include elevation changes thick rough undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Hidden Gem"

gaf555's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

I have played here several times. I like the great views and the rolling hills on some of the holes. Course was in great shape and the greens truly rolled. Staff is also very accommodating. I will return

wildezeus1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

ykkwon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

"No compensation"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

No. 3 to 5 holes were closed due to heavy rain previous day. It would be good if I could play other possible 3 holes instead, to play in total 18 holes. There were few people playing in the course.

"Pleasant Easy Old Schooler"

HOTSPOTTS's avatar
Illinois Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2017

First time at Cary. Had avoided because it doesn't seem to get too much press and because they routinely charge $50 or more to play on the weekend. This is a $30 to $35 course at the very most. Don't get me wrong it's fun to play with unexpected elevated tee shots and uphill approach shots but it's just not the type of course I'd want to play more than once a year. It's not an overly taxing track for even a mid handicapper...the front nine seems pretty short/sporty but does have 3 Par 5's. Cary CC kind of lulls you to sleep until you reach the finishing holes namely the 14th thru 17th.....16 and 17 play as 420 plus par 4 beasts. Course was in decent shape....they have already micro aerated for the season and the greens were rolling very well most slope back to front typical old school. Appeared to be well maintained even with the flood damage that occurred earlier this summer. No range, no water jugs on the course just water bottles at the 1st and 10th. Dated clubhouse with locker room/showers. Average to above average prices for beverages. All in all we had a nice day and it is a pleasant place.....solid 3 stars....recommended maybe once a year if you can get on for a good price ($31 hot deal was a fair price)....without the hot deal I'll elect to go elsewhere.

Response from Cary Country Club on 10/06/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club, and for the 3-stars. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed playing our golf course, specifically the elevated tee shots and uphill approach shots. It also sounds like the greens were in great shape when you played, so we are happy to hear that. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, especially regarding the value of each round. Thank you for choosing to play our course, in the Chicago area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"This course is unique, good value"

Randy8807984's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I like this course. It has a good set up with some very challenging holes, especially the par 3s.

"Height adjustment"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

Challenging course, definitely coming back to adjust my choice of clubs on the downhill and uphill holes

"Lots of elevation"

jamesmbarry's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2017

The course layout and scenery are great. The only knock against it is the turf loss on the front nine due to the massive flooding the area received. Easily worth the greens fees without the damage. If I was management, I'd lower the fee, even five dollars (let everyone be know you are doing it) as a goodwill gesture and they would gain me for life as the course is one of the best buys in the area. The greens were in great shape and the elevation changes combined with the beginning of fall colors make for a nice background.

Response from Cary Country Club on 09/18/2017:

Hello James, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club, and for the 3-stars. We are sorry to hear that the front 9 holes may not have been in the best shape when you played and your feedback is appreciated. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the course layout with the fall colors adding to the beauty. Thank you for recommending our course, in the Chicago area, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Cary Country Club"

barrygruner's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2017

The greens at Cary are running at about an 11 on the stimp. Super fast and great to putt on. People will come when they hear about the greens. You won't find them like this on public courses.

Sam2151810's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

"Will be better next year"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

Played this course for the 2nd time recently. Most of the front 9 fairways are being renovated causing a forward placement drop. This was very aggravating since they still charged full price for half of a course. This course is great when it's normal but until they finish the fairways I will not be playing here nor would I recommend anyone else play there.

Response from Cary Country Club on 08/22/2017:

Hello Dan, thank you for the three-star review. We are sorry to hear that you had a subpar experience with our course, Cary Country Club, in the Chicago area. However, we are glad to see that you found our staff friendly and that you enjoyed the pace of play. Thank you for playing at our course, and we hope to see you again soon when our course is in better shape.

"Flood damage"

gatesrog's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017

With so much flood damage, there should have been a statement to this effect or warning, prior to booking. Does not seem fair to the course, yet still it would have been a factor in choosing where to play last week.

Response from Cary Country Club on 08/16/2017:

Hello Roger, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club, in the Chicago area. We apologize that you were not properly notified of the course conditions before you played. Though, we are happy to see that your round was at a great value and that you had a friendly experience with our staff. Thank you for the 3 star review and we hope to see you again soon.

"great old time course ...BUT"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

great old time course layout, played there many times .....BUT ...... there was a bad flooding of the course from the Fox River couple of weeks ago, and they have several holes where the dead grass from the flood literally takes up acres ...they have those areas flagged off as "ground under repair" I imagine it will be several weeks at least for those areas to heal ....the staff is working on it like crazy , to their credit

Response from Cary Country Club on 08/04/2017:

Hello David, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club. We are undergoing a tough transition period, which explains our lacking conditions. We are working hard to make improvements, however. We appreciate your understanding and hope to earn your business again soon in the Chicago area.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Cary Country Club on 08/01/2017:

Hello Nate, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at Cary Country Club, we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for playing Cary Country Club and we hope to earn your business again.

"DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY"

JeremySmet25's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

Awful course conditions and horrible place of play they have no ranger keeping pace of play absolutely a waste of $42. I will not be back

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Cary Country Club on 08/02/2017:

Hi Jeremy, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club. We regret to hear that we missed the mark on your visit. We are happy to see that you enjoyed our staff, however! We hope you will give us the chance to earn your business again for a better round.

"Dishonest"

owlbrk80's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Went there with a reservation and paid full price, but only nine holes were open because of flooding. They should have told us when we made the reservation that only nine holes were open. Then, I get an email promoting the course knowing that it was still only open for nine holes. I guess they were trying to get another sucker to make a tee time and be disappointed. I won't ever play there again!

Response from Cary Country Club on 11/06/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club in the Chicago area. We're very sorry to hear you were unable to play a full round due to course flooding on the day you played, and if we were unable to communicate this in advance. We greatly appreciate your feedback so we may work towards future improvements on this matter. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Bad Experience"

owlbrk80's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have played this course several times and enjoyed it. However, this time we booked a round at full price and when we got there, we found out that only nine holes were open. There had been heavy rain and 9 holes were closed because of flooding. If we had been told when we booked the round, we would have found another course. When we complained to the staff, they just ignored us.

Response from Cary Country Club on 10/06/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cary Country Club, in the Chicago area. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor customer experience at our course and that you were not notified that only 9 holes were open. Your feedback is appreciated so that we know where to improve our notification process. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

"Challenging Terrain"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017

If you like alot of hills, valleys and blind shots, this is the course for you.

It's very hilly and sometimes I think the carts won't make it up the hill.

"Fun Course, Great Views"

Niener's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

Cary is a very fun and scenic course (stunning in the fall)!. It has a lot of elevation and provides decent risk reward opportunities which will appeal to everyone regardless of skill level. It's fair but you still have to make good shots to score well. The rough is very thick so you definitely need to keep it in the fairway. The greens are in excellent condition and are some are extremely challenging due to the slops and pin positions. The staff is always friendly and courteous. I highly recommend the course as I've been playing it for years and have rarely been disappointed.

"Fun Time"

Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

The course was in fair condition due to the rains over the past week. The problem was there were several holes where the sewage smell was overwhelming. Most of the course was great and well maintained.