Cinder Ridge Golf Course

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals seniors   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers water hazards

"Great course"

Jason3480400's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Course is always well kept and challenging. The staff are very friendly. The distance the flags on the driving range are always marked. I play here as often as time allows. However if you don't stay on the fairway bring a lot of balls.

"Always Fun"

uEZLX2343EZ's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Enjoyed coming back. Definitely worth the ride there. It's always in good shape. Course was empty when we started early afternoon and that was nice as we could get through front 9 in 1.5 hours. Slowed down on back 9 as later in the day it looked like some were starting off on 10. It did get fairly crowded later in the day. Not sure if there are twi-light prices? Not a bad rate, but I think C.R. would benefit from more extreme Golf Now Deals during the week to get more traffic. +ENJOY!!

"Challenging and Fun"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017
Previously played Used cart

This is a very beautiful and well kept course, it was challenging and very fun to play.

"Great course for a great price"

enerson1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2017

Course is in great shape even for early to mid July. Fairways are in great shape and the greens are taken care of very good.

"Worth the trip!"

13clubchallenger's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2017

The last time I played this course, it was only a year or two after it opened. Wasn't sure what to expect after all these years. Fortunately the course has stood up well.

The layout boasts a stout slope rating, but you may find your game plays a little better than what you'd expect from that. Generally there is ample room off the tee. Seems some trees have been cleared out here and there (like #4). Others have grown in (you really can't drive #9 anymore). A few of the holes will remind you that this course is built on an old strip mine, with the sensation that you are almost playing through a tunnel down the fairway (#5 and #8).

Played as a twosome, first off for the day. 3:10 pace. Friendly pro shop. Watch cart signs carefully, as sometimes you will come near the play of another hole. A few spotties on the greens but nothing that should keep you away from playing.

Par 3 13th is perhaps more scenic than the signature 16th.

Strong 4 star rating. Great value if you are willing to do the drive to get there.

"I love this hidden gem"

Sean1310450's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2017

I feel this course is one of the best courses in the area. It's always in great condition and is amazingly priced. If this course was farther north it would compete with mistwood at over 100 dollars a round. The staff is cool as long as you are cool with them. You have to make your way out to this track!!!

"Nice time"

PatMcCarthy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017

Course is in really good shape, zero crowds, played as if we owned the place, staff very pleasant

"Excellent"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

Great layout great greens and pace of play real good for a Sunday afternoon.

dcp721's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017

"Cinder"

gallup64's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

The course was in great shape. My only issue was that we showed up 30 minutes before our tee time to use the range, but they would not let us have our carts until ten minutes before our scheduled time. I didn't understand the reason for that.

"Pleasantly Surprised"

mcarlson0522's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Just like the below review stated, I was concerned with the staff since there was obviously a problem with the staff. I've played here several times in years past and never had any issues. Moving forward to May 2017, spoke with the older gent in the pro shop that was very nice, and the lady in the snack shop. She was an absolute delight with a bright smile on her face. Played on a Monday, paid under 40 bucks and flew threw in under 3 hours. Now that's how you play golf, of course you can't do that all the time but I love it. Course was in fantastic shape and hopefully stays like this throughout the year. It's quite a hike from the surrounding Chicago burbs, but during the week after 9am and before 4pm, or weekend it's pretty easy shot right down I55. Cinder Ridge, please keep your course conditions excellent because I'll be out here more often. Happy golfer right here.

"Course is great staff was friendly"

mcarlson0522's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017
Previously played Used cart

Played this course about 6 times in the past few years and was concerned about the staff and their attitude. Well I made it a point to speak with the gent in the pro shop and the lady in the restaurant/half way house. I'll tell you this both employees were very polite. Not sure if Cinder Ridge read these reviews and made a 180 on their attitude or there were new employees. Zero issues and very friendly. Now the course, tees were ok, fairways were above average, and the greens were solid. Played this morning (Fri April 28th 2017), temp was 55 degrees with very little wind. For us Chicagoland people that's perfect, light wind breaker and off you go. Played lightening fast since the course was almost empty. All in all Cinder Ridge was fantastic today and will continue to play here.

"Wont be back"

dgk1979's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017

Not sure if its punishment for booking on GolfNow, but had a foursome set up at 1:15. Checked in at 12:50; they had not had a single golfer go out in 2.5 hrs before our tee time. Was told to come back to counter at 1:10 and we could get keys to carts, they were worried we would go out before our booked time? No problem, we waited for our tee time and went off. Before we made the turn, we had let 3 different singles and a two-some play thru.....maybe if we went out when we were ready vs sitting around for 25 min we wouldnt have had people playing up on us and they wouldnt have had to wait either. Made no sense.

"You will be shocked how you are treated by the staff"

Kevin1546's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

Pretty fun course and it's cheap and never crowded. Unfortunatley the staff keeps me and my money away from this course. The always empty parking lot despite its bargain price and fun layout makes me think I'm not the only one.

I was forced to give this course another shot this past weekend. It was 70 degrees in the middle of February so we decided take advantage of the opportunity to golf (as did everyone else apparently). Every course in a 40 mile radius was booked solid, except you guessed it, Cinder Ridge. I called and inquired about tee times and I was immediately treated like I was inconviencing the lady who answered the phone. She made audible sighs when I asked if I'd be able get out that day and overall she was short and rude. Much of the same once I got there. I get there at 12:45p, check in, and she immediately snaps on me saying everyone needs to be off the course by 4:30p and she was only going to allow me to play 9 holes. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a rare opportunity to golf in February, I would have walked out right there. I went on to play the course and got grouped with another twosome who had almost the exact experience that I did. We finished up our 9 holes by 3pm and I was curious why I was only allowed to play 9 holes when I could have played 18 and got off before that 430p deadline I was barked at about during check in. In summary, your free time is valuable and so is your dollar. Do yourself a favor and golf somewhere else. You may spend $5 more but there's plenty of nice courses within 15 min of this one that will treat you well and act like they want your business.

"Great Course"

webb3277's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2016

Great layout and the course was in good shape. Looks like it was recently aerated. Love the layout, has dog legs both left and right plus elevation changes. Challenging and fun and to playi.

"Staff was very rude"

Hartline0909's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/07/2016

Staff in pro shop was very rude. They were upset that I booked through golfnow for a cheap price. They would not let us tee off until right at our tee time even though nobody was on the course. If I didn't love to golf so much we would have left the course....lol

"Cinder Ridge"

uIDKL3802ID's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

While this course is somewwhat of a long ride from the Chicago burbs, it is a very nice course. It's challenging, yet fair. The price is hard to beat.

"Well-conditioned, intermediate challenge, fun course"

fendsonbacker's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016

Had not played here since early 2012 and with the hot and wet weather in Chicago over the past couple months was not sure what to expect. Luckily things had dried out over the past several days and conditions were great. Starter suggested we begin on back 9 as front 9 was a bit sluggish with some slow players. Good idea and our pace was excellent at about 3.5 hours.

The course has lost quite a few trees over the years and is thus not as intimidating as it once was. Has a more open look to it now. Still a fun and challenging layout. Par 3'a #13 and #16 great fun with elevation drop on 13 and full carry over water on 16. Not long but still fun.

Huge tree to the left front of green on 17 is now gone - what a difference that makes!

Had a great day - weather was ideal and a speedy Sunday pace on a really nice course made it all good. To top it off, a 4-inch tap-in birdie on #5 helped make it a terrific round.

"Overlooked gem."

Mike8212745's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016

I've played this course several years ago, and it's still as good as back then. It's very picturesque, and has some very challenging holes. The greens are in great condition. Would recommend this course to anyone looking for a good challenge to their game.

"Good"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

It had some challenging holes, due to rain course was very wet