Pine Meadow Golf Club

Tournament (W) 72 5613 yards 72.3 125

stoney1800's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I am a scratch golfer who enjoys playing early in the morning at a fast pace. Our fore some was the forth tee time of the day and we walked 18 holes in 3 hours and 50 minutes. We never waited on a shot and didn't hold anyone up so pace of play was as good as it gets. I've been told pace of play slows down later in the day but if you play early, be ready to move and enjoy the quick pace.

The layout of the course is fantastic, no homes and areas that make you feel like you are in Wyoming verses northern Illinois. The handicap ratings on some of the holes are suspect and the front nine played tougher for me than the back with some very long par 3 and par 4 holes from the gold tees. The overall condition of the course was outstanding except the sand traps were very wet. If they repair the drainage in the sand traps, the course condition will be second to none in this area.

This course all but lost their greens a few years ago but after a lot of effort by the current staff, they are now really top notch poa anna greens that are firm and run around 10.5 on the stimp meter. The greens are huge with a lot of undulation so be ready to play a lot of break on all of your putts and do not go above the hole on any front pins or you will really have you work cut out for you. I heard some complaints about the green speed being too slow but I really don't think most people could putt very well on these huge undulating greens if they were much faster than they are right now. The greenskeeper would also lose about half of his pin positions if the greens were much faster due to the undulation. It really didn't take very much to adapt to the slightly slower greens and I enjoyed the challenge of putting greens with a lot of break.

The practice facility is also top notch with new range balls, bent grass hitting areas and several chipping greens with sand traps. A few more targets to shot at different distances would be nice but this is truly a first class place to warm up or practice.

The staff was very nice but we didn't really see a ranger since we were moving pretty quickly early in the day.

If you enjoy a challenging course that is easy to walk, this is a great track.

"Overpriced"

ebpcg's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017

Check out these pictures of the bunkers.... dirt/dried mud and no sand

"Worst experience on a golf course...EVER!!!"

james7229170's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

So... This is the first time that I have EVER felt compelled to write any review; golf or otherwise.

My threesome began the morning on the first tee box waiting for the group ahead of us to clear the fairway. A single walker literally RAN up and told us that the pro shop said that they could go ahead of us even though we had a 746am tee time. We would've eventually (probably on the next tee) either allowed the single to pass or even join our group but the fact that the pro shop didn't ask us and just dictated to us seemed very unprofessional.

It also became very frustrating that the entire morning seemed to be booked with twosomes; I am a member of a club and most every public course I play will generally put groups together to make foursomes if it is overly crowded (which it was on this day). We ended up letting (4) twosomes pass us on the first four holes! Ridiculous!!!

Here's where it gets really good... When we made the turn my two buddies ran inside to [spend money and] grab a drink and use the restroom. We were told by the starter that they were pretty full behind us and that we needed to get to the 10th tee so as not to create a backup. We played the front nine in 2:15 while still allowing four groups to play through!!!

Now on the tenth tee, the group behind us (another twosome) drove up after we had hit our tee balls and we still attempted to waive them through but one of them decided to run to the clubhouse; so we finished the hole. After we teed off of eleven (my ball on the green and my two buddies within a few yards) the same twosome drove up to the tee box as we were putting out. We now noticed a ranger waiting by our carts to tell us that we needed to pick it up AND let the smaller groups behind us play through... WE HAD BEEN DOING THIS ALL DAY!!! Plus, it's speed up OR let someone through, not hurry up and then wait! Btw...we played the first two holes of the back nine in 16 minutes! After we exchanged words (firm but polite) we drove over to #12 and as was teeing off I hear a cart pull up in the middle of my back swing only to see that same ranger. This time he tells us that we are actually 2 MINUTES AHEAD OF PACE!!! However, he added that we should still let the smaller groups pass when they catch up. Thank you...we know how to play golf! Now in the middle of the 12th fairway and having hit our approaches to the par 5, we waived that same twosome from the previous couple of holes through and this time they passed. We then proceed to wait for thirteen minutes as they finished out the par 5. All along, the same ranger kept driving in and out of the woods to "monitor" the situation from beyond the green that we were playing in to. This was the last straw for me; I picked up my ball and left a golf course for only the second time in my life (the first time I had to leave from food poisoning).

Clearly, Pine Meadow thinks of themselves as an above average public golf course and they are correct. The course was in great shape and their clubhouse is full of quality gear from all of the top brands.

However, when I pay $80 for a mid-week round I expect a few things. I expect not to feel rushed only to find out that we are actually ahead of pace. I expect not to have to let a handful of smaller groups play through because of the way the course schedules. All of this could've been avoided if 1) small groups are combined to form larger groups on busier days, and 2) tee times are spaced 10 minutes apart instead of 7-8 minutes apart. This is a simple remedy that many top courses in the area (including the club I belong to as well as Pine Meadow's sister course Cog Hill) implement to combat these issues.

I have played this course many times and usually play in a couple of the scrambles each year and as I stated before the course itself is always in great condition. However, yesterday will be the last time I ever step foot on the grounds and I will vigorously steer all of my friends and golf groups away from this course! So long Pine Meadow.

"Rude Staff and Overpriced for the course"

jjf123's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I have played Pine Meadow many times. I was part of a Sunday group in the past and stopped because it routinely took 5 hours to play. It can be a very challenging course and the rangers do nothing to help so when beginners play from the back tees one needs to wait and wait and wait. The staff at the pro shop are condescending and arrogant. I was clearly insulted by the manager when I asked about a rain check assumption. He told me to remember the first letters of that word. I'm polite, they were not and I will never play there again.

The greens are better this year than in the past but they still don't compare to the local Forest Preserve or Park District courses (Countryside, a forest preserve course, has much better greens and bunkers). The layout is excellent and it would be a great place to play with the exception of the staff who act like they are doing you a favor taking your money. I played in the fall and the course was not properly blown so the leaves were a real problem, even in the fairways.

There are many other courses in the area which are better values and have staff that is pleasant and helpful (Stonewall Orchard, Steeple Chase, Lake Bluff Golf Course, Thunderhawk and even Countryside Golf). Don't waste your money.

"Solid Course"

tawalsh3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

I really like the layout of Pine Meadow. Its challenging yet fair. Greens are POA Annua, so they grow fast and get bumpy in the afternoon. If you play early in the morning, they are smooth as glass. Not a maintenance issue, its a grass type issue. My only feedback for the course would be that they need to do a better job of scattering or picking up grass clippings especially in the rough.

"Nice course..friendly staff...not worth $90"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016

Course was in great shape even with spiked greens. Played a 4 hour round and the layout was pretty nice. Carts were dirty and beat up and you would a expect a nicer clubhouse for the price you play. The staff was friendly and if the course was a lil cheaper I definitely would play again.

"Excellent layout tarnished by poor conditions"

eckrueger's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Pros: layout is fun, some straightforward holes, some more challenging; pace of play was snappy, our threesome finished in 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon

Cons: absolutely not worth the price given a number of similar courses nearby; greens were in alarmingly poor condition for this time of year, they were aerated (in August?) and shaggy; cups appeared to not have been recut in a week with circumferential spike marks and ragged edges to the holes; fairways didn't look to have been mowed in days and were much longer than would be expected for a course in this price range

The area has gotten an above average amount of rain this summer, so perhaps this is to blame for the conditions. The layout could provide a tremendous track, but until conditions improve, I'd recommend playing elsewhere.

"Beautiful setting"

U000002963419's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2016

I ordered a turkey sandwich and didn't realize till I was 2 holes away that they gave me tuna.

The course is beautiful but the Rangers were very annoying.

Our foursome was playing at a 4:00-4:15 pace and yet we were constantly being watched, followed and told that we were too slow.

For $77 golfers need to relax and enjoy themselves.

"Slow Play and Rangers Gone Wrong"

Yoofive's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Our group reconsidered PM despite the farther drive due to it's great course conditions and good pace. Oh were we wrong. We teed off at 10am on Sunday and walked off 18 at 2:40. The starter insisted that all groups were making the turn at 2 hours. At the 3 hour mark on 13 we called in as the group ahead was crazy pokey. The ranger insisted that we were on pace and that it may have seemed slower for a Saturday (yea, we played on a Sunday). I guess he expected us to play 6 holes in just over an hour, which didn't compute. The ranger at 18 advised, "we asked that group in front to speed up 4 times". Even with a 10 minute cushion, I was late to an afternoon function after giving so many props to this course for pace of play. The cavalier ranger attitude and misinformation take this course off of our list.

"Pine Meadow GC"

3DDesign's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Outstandingly beautiful course! Love the way you are "all by yourself" on many holes because of the way the course is laid out. If it wasn't for the price, it would definitely be my "Home Course".

"Nice Track"

David7255802's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2016

Played a foursome at the twilight rate and thought it was an extremely good value. The course is in excellent condition and played slightly soggy as they have had a bunch of rain lately; which segways into my next comment that the greens were bumpy and needed rolled.

Definitely a good value and course ( for this time of year ) and highly recommend as every player in our foursome had a positive review. Some thought it was tough if you were having a bad day.... But what course isn't ?

"Pine Meadow Golf Club"

btweed1683's avatar
Chicago Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2014
First time playing Played as a single Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

The Good: Joe Lee design is a Jensek property that is "middle class" version of Cog Hill Dubsdread. Excellent parkland track devoid of houses; superb Par 5's, challenging Par 4's, and some very strong Par 3's. Top-notch course conditions and large, difficult greens that putt quick but fair. A top 5 public practice facility in the northern Chicago suburbs with large putting green, great range, and multiple short game areas. Very nice staff and good pace of play.

The Bad: Limited variation in the Par 4's. Amenities are lacking for a near $100 peak season price tag. Clubhouse is small with limited restaurant area, no locker rooms or banquet area. On-course luxuries are lacking as well with limited restroom areas and no GPS. Course is great but doesn't have bells and whistles to justify increasing greens fees.

The Verdict: Pine Meadow is pure public golf at its near best. Still a Top 10 Chicago metro public course, but could use facility upgrades to compete with newer upscale venues.<br/> Best Hole: The closing hole is a demonic Par 4 similar to Dubsdread's #18. Watch out for the water short right!

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great Track!!"

hjereza's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/11/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

Played here on a cold Oct day. Conditions were the best i've played this year, Plush fairways with immaculate greens that ran true and fast. Played on the fall rates, so more affordable than the summer. Play here at least once. Owned by the same owners of Cog Hill, so you can expect a well manicured course. No houses on the course which is a major plus, and definitely walkable.

"More than solid daily fee course in Chicagoland"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course can play as tough as you want. From the tips with a little wind, it's a bear, but from the proper tees, it's very enjoyable, which might explain why it's so popular with women. While there are probably close to a hundred bunkers, most of them aren't too difficult, and the greens are flat, non-elevated and very accessible for run-up shots. Still, with water on nearly half the holes, lots of trees and plenty of length, I'm told the course record is only 66, which is believeable. Hard enough for the good players, manageable for the higher handicapper.

"My Favorite Track"

Jim2967252's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I've been playing Pine Meadow for 20 years. It's my favorite public course in Chicago.

From the tees I play, there's a great mix of holes that will require every club in your bag. They're holes you can score on, and others that a par is great. Most of the holes are isolated from the other, so you don't see other players. It's a great course to walk.

The last few years, they've had trouble with some of the greens . But, they 're working hard to fix them. They do discount the green fees when the conditions don't meet their standards.

Pine Meadow is fairly strict about pace of play, and will "encourage" slow players to speed up. Most courses give a lot of lip service to poor pace of play, PM actually does something about it.