Heartland Crossing Golf Links

3.6842000000 3.7 stars from 5 (133)

Gift this Course
  • 6701 E. Heartland Blvd, Camby, Indiana 46113, Morgan County
  • www.heartlandcrossinggolf.com

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Steve Smyers (1998), Nick Price (1998)
Type: Public

Nick Price 72 7267 yards 75.4 134
Championship 72 6849 yards 73.2 130
Preferred 72 6406 yards 71.0 126

Average Rating 3.7 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city near the airport in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens plays long   Great for drinks patio dining

"Good Value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

The links style was fun to play. Carts need GPS. The course was a bit difficult find but we'll worth it.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 06/12/2017:

Hi William, we're happy you enjoyed our fun layout and good course conditions. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links!

"Great value for Seniors"

Charles7689402's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017

Moved away from area 20 years ago. Always enjoyed playing HC prior to move. Still one of the best values around the Indianapolis area. Try to avoid the bunkers and you will enjoy your round more.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 06/07/2017:

Hello Chuck, we're happy you have always enjoyed playing Heartland Crossing. Thank you for the kind review!

robertmorgan2017's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 06/09/2017:

Hi Robert, we're happy you enjoyed your first round at our course. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Course wasn't in good shape"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

There were a lot of weeds in the fairways. Greens were decent but could be better.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 05/18/2017:

Hi Ivan, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're happy to see you enjoyed our course layout and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links!

"Course needs more work"

oscar6630574's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

Around the greens were sand bunkers have been filled in needs more grass

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 05/09/2017:

Hi Oscar, we apologize course conditions were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback and hope you give us another chance in the future. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links!

"This is one of the worst courses I've ever played."

Slimsteeler's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

Pros: Inside Staff was very friendly.

I played as a single so luckily I only had to spend 2 and a 1/2 hours at this dreadful place.

Cons: How much time ya got?

Course in terrible condition. They pulled off the unbelievable task of making the greens dreadfully slow yet impossible to hold! Even with a wedge! Honestly you'd be better served stopping at the local hardware store and picking up a sledgehammer to replace your putter. Yet the greens are so firm you don't need a divot tool. If it's a front pin (which 75% of them were that day) getting anywhere near the flag is not an option. Even with wedge in hand. 17 green was half dead! Now on to the bunkers...links course so plenty of bunkering yet no two bunkers the same. Some, plenty of sand and consistent, others, none.

I play to about a 2 hdcp and I don't think I've ever played a course that I've been so penalized hitting good shots.

Avoid this course until either they get a new greenskeeper or invest tons in maintenance or both.

As I said to a friend, a great motto for this place should be: "A great place to play if you live nearby and you're almost out of gas."

If Nick Price saw the state of his design, he'd have his name removed from the scorecard.

Commented on 05/03/2017

Davelongdrive50,

I get it, you're retired and play 3 or 4 times a week but since you're on a fixed income you only play cow pastures where you aren't in danger of losing too many balls and refuse to pay more than $20 for a round. So you create a username with golf terms in it thinking you know all there is to know about the game.

Saying a course is better than last year, even though it's still terrible, is like lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig.

As far as you assuming my skill level, you'd be wrong. Yes, I do only get to play once a week nowadays due to the fact that I'm no longer in the golf business, which I was for the greater part of 15yrs. Yes, I do still carry a 2 hdcp and no, I don't play rock golf balls. It's fine if you're a member of the course and want to defend your home track. Understandable. Assuming someone's skill level based on a bad review, bad move.

Have a good weekend. Enjoy your cow pasture full of weeds and dead spots.

Commented on 04/29/2017

I do have time actually.

This course is on the upswing from last year. 17 green was worst last year, like I said...upswing. Bunkers were worked all last year, once again that is a drastic improvement considering they were filled with dirt all summer last summer and under maintenance.....upswing. Honestly you might have been at the wrong course by reading your comments.

On to the "2hcp" that you have when you play once a week. First, this is not a PGA event you were playing at. Second, you must have been using rocks as balls because I know I played just a few days ago and my golf ball had no problems sticking to the greens, also rolling on the greens very nicely. Third, the Links course may not be for you then considering by your comments you cannot seem to keep the ball in safe play even tho a links course is a wide open course. Considering the vast amounts of higher rated star ratings, that golf course is certainly not a 1 star course.

Thank you, have a wonderful weekend.

U000004919238's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Very nice course. Lots of improvement in last year and more to come.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 04/26/2017:

Hi Steve, we're happy you enjoyed playing our nice course. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links!

"Great course but in poor shape"

ewruther's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2017

The course layout is one of the most fun and challenging in the central Indiana. Most of the fairways are infested with dandelions. The sand traps are half emptied. The greens and tee boxes are in good shape, but could be better. This course would be amazing if more time was spent on maintenance. Staff were friendly and the price is right.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 04/24/2017:

Hello Eric, we're sorry course conditions were not up to your standard. We have recently sprayed the greens to remove the dandelions. Thank you for rating our layout as one of the most fun and challenging layouts in central Indiana. We hope you give us another chance in the future.

"Horrible Conditions"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Course used to be nice to play at, but grounds and conditions are horrible now. Won't go back until moderate improvements have been made, at least.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 04/20/2017:

Hi Chris, thank you for playing an early spring round at Heartland Crossing Golf Links. We're sorry course conditions were not up to par and we hope you give us another chance in the future.

"Very disappointed"

jwhammerle's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

I really want this course to be better. Love the layout. Has some very unique fun holes. But, the Driving range is full of weeds and had not been cut recently. Greens were shaggy and extremely slow. New sand being put in is extremely hard and very shallow. Lots of weeds in rough and some in fairway. Of the courses I've played this spring, it is by far in the poorest condition. Only redeeming factor was it was $27.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 04/17/2017:

Hello, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're happy you enjoyed our layout and we hope you give us another chance in the future. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links!

Madman21's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017

The length of this course really suits my game. The staff is super friendly.

Response from Heartland Crossing Golf Links on 04/26/2017:

Hello Christo, we're pleased to hear you enjoyed our course layout and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Heartland Crossing Golf Links!

Raoul007's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/29/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Well maintained even through winter, it's a beautiful course, but not for the faint of heart.

I don't think I've ever seen so many greenside and fairway bunkers outside of Myrtle Beach, SC courses.

Makes use of a pretty good mixture of risk-reward, target holes w/ straight-up "greenlight" holes.

Course Response on 03/29/2017:

Thank you for your review of Heartland Crossing Golf Links, Raoul! We took care of the course this winter the best we could so golfers like you could get out and play as soon as possible this spring!

"Live on the course"

David2775239's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016

This is the best shape that I have seen this course in in a long time and looks really good the bunkers on playable .oh winter doesn't move in to quick like players tell after Christmas

Commented on 11/11/2016

Thank you for your review David! We're hoping for a late and short winter too!

"Good shape and excellent price combo"

kerrycole5471's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I found the course in better shape this fall than this past summer.. Looks like some improvements are in the works. The course is fun yet challenging.. I only ended up in 4 bunkers. The fairways, greens and bunkers were in great shape. I would encourage anyone in the Indy area to try this course out as you should have a great time..

Commented on 11/04/2016

Excellent! Thank you for noticing everything we've been working on and can get out and enjoy a little more fall golf before the weather turns!

Thank you for your review!

"Long and Lucious"

SCL1SMI's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Nov. 2, 75 degrees, immaculate greens, even the fairways were good (several bare spots, but hey, in November who cares?). They even had crews out blowing leaves off the greens and fairways. This is a links course, so playing off the tips is nuts unless you hit 350, but the Gold tees still give you 6500 yds, and the course is beautifully laid out. With Golf Now's Hot Deal, it was absolutely the best bargain ever!

Commented on 11/04/2016

It sounds like you love the amazing fall weather as much as we have! Thanks for making it out and for the great review!

"Bunker City"

goonz36's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I had a very enjoyable round.

Commented on 10/17/2016

We're glad you enjoyed your round goonz36! Thank you for leaving a review!

"Had a Great Time"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was a little damp since it rained the day before. The layout is challenging and you have to plan your shots. I plan to do better when I play this course again. I was alone and tried to get paired with someone who had played there before. Instead, I got paired with a couple of guys who work for Allstate and we all had a blast learning our way around the course. Playing with those guys and having fun added to the adventure. Will definitely play it again.

Commented on 10/07/2016

How were the greens? I heard they were basically dirt painted green.

"I HAVE LIVED ON THIS COURSE FOR 10 YEARS"

marklemmons's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2016

This course needs a serious input of funds. I live on #7 and the bunkers they have taken out (and there are a lot of them) are still GUR. The bunker near the 7th green has been unplayable for over a year. We have greens like #17 that for all intents and purposes are so full of mold they are unplayable. The worst part of it all is that this is all due to poor planning. When Nick Price first designed the course and when it first opened it was a masterpiece. My love for this course is the reason I moved here. What the design did not take into account is that this is Indiana. The 6 foot deep bunkers become 6 foot deep pools during the winter and in the spring require repair. It is financially impossible to repair the bunkers every year. Subsequently each entity that purchased the course from bankruptcy took bunkers out. Now the course is a shell of what it was and essentially has become a muny. #SAD.

"Sad"

Corey9737024's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016

This course could honestly be one of the nicest in the state of Indiana and hopefully it will continue to get better, but it's in horrible shape and it isn't just because of fall approaching. The layout is top of the line, but maintence is a must on a course of this caliber. They need to market this course better and ask for donations or new ownership because this course could be a top golf retreat.

Commented on 09/28/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve course conditions and take your comments very seriously. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Basic Course Maintenance -- Huge MISS"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

1st Green is absolutely gorgeous!!

after that it goes down hill.

Huge sand traps, although huge sand traps also need maintaining. 1 of the holes I was about 180 out and went for the green, ended up short and into the bunker. When the ball landed--HUGE splash!

Drain your bunkers!!

The day I played it had not rained for several HOT days.

Tee makers-- yes tee markers are usually moved prior to mowing the tee box. No one was mowing tee boxes on the entire course, Tee box markers-some were laying on the ground, some were standing,

SOME WERE MISSING! Just tee off from wherever you like??

Yardage markers? Yes where? There are some painted yardage markers on the cart path, but does you very little good when you're in the fairway and have no view of the markings on the cart path.

1st cut around the green-- some grass, mostly weeds

Grass around the bunkers-- 2' tall--if its part of the course design so be it, would be a 1st of a kind out of my 30 years of playing. If not part of the design, hire some teenagers after school and on the weekends to help cut your weeds.

Course design-- EXCELLENT makes you think about your next shot. Don't plan to play here and use your driver on all 4's and 5's!

Greens on the back 9 are fairly easy to read, true to what you are reading!!

Wide fairways on most holes. Some need definite aim to position yourself well for the next shot!!

Course Setting-- EXCELLENT nice quiet playing -- little artificial noise (road traffic-home owner mowing etc...)

A yardage book or some sort of course layout--better than the score card. If you have never played here, some good visuals would help immensely!!

This course has HUGE POTENTIAL if they would only get back to basics on basic course maintenance.

For the amount of money I paid, I am happy but not satisfied with this course. I am usually not this critical of a course, but some things were just too plainly obvious not to mention to other players. Hopefully someone from the staff will take notice and make appropriate changes there. Word of mouth is huge in today's golfing economy, it can be bad and hurt or it can be good and help your course out immensely!

For the future I will play other courses for the same amount of money that are considerably better!! UNTIL, I see or read of better conditions here.

Commented on 09/26/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We take our golfers' feedback very seriously as we strive to continuously improve. We are glad you enjoyed the pace of play and friendly staff, and hope you come back in the near future to make up for this experience.