The Fort Golf Resort

• 6002 N Post Rd, Indianapolis, Indiana 46216, Marion County
  • www.thefortgolfcourse.com

Year built: 1997
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1998), Tim Liddy (1998)
Type: Resort
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/01

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
Caddies: No

Dress code: Shirts must have collars. Tank tops, t-shirts, cut-offs, and athletic shorts are not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes thick rough   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Great Shape for March"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017

Course still has some winter healing to do but a really great course and it was in great shape for it being the end of March. Will definitely be back.

"First 70 degree day"

JMWalk24's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017

Great experience. It was the first 70 degree day and we snatched up an 11:50 tee time and it was perfect. Great course, great staff. It was a great experience. Would definitely go back.

"Amazing Layout"

mcnultyn1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

You won't find a better layout in central Indiana. Elevation changes, and left to right action make this track a signature Pete Ditty. It was early, so the greens were a little bent outta shape. and since the layout is so challenging, the pace of play is brutal.Even still, this course is without a doubt one of the most fun layouts I've ever played. Will certainly be back!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 03/22/2017:

Thank you mcnultyn1 for the review and feedback of our golf course. We are thrilled you had a good time on the course with all the elevation changes and fun layouts. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again very soon!

"Beautiful in fall colors on a great layout"

gkuhl's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016

The course is an excellent challenge and fun to play. It has some easier holes with some more difficult holes that make it fun. It is also a course that is fairly priced year round.

Response from The Fort Golf Course on 11/21/2016:

Thank you gkuhl for your review and 5-stars. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and we are thrilled you found the course to be a challenge and priced fairly. We hope you will continue to come back and play The Fort Golf Resort here in Indianapolis, IN again.

"What a day!"

susanboots's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Perfect fall day for golf and the grounds keepers had blown the leaves, which really helped with the usual lost ball search. The course was in excellent condition and views were beautiful! The course layout is exciting...lots of bunkers in great condition, so I had confidence to really swing through, making for some of the best shots I've ever made out of the sand. Can't wait to play next season.

Response from The Fort Golf Course on 11/21/2016:

Thank you susanboots for your review and 5-stars. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and we are so happy you enjoyed the condition and layout of the course. We hope you will continue to come back and play The Fort Golf Resort here in Indianapolis, IN again.

"The Fort"

greg8001392's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2016

One of the best courses in Indiana

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/07/2016:

Thank you Greg for your review and 5-stars. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and we are so thrilled you enjoyed the course. We hope you will continue to come back and play The Fort Golf Resort here in Indianapolis, IN again. Book your next tee time quick and easy here at www.thefortgolfcourse.com

"Great layout"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016

Pete Dye is a mater course builder

Response from The Fort Golf Course on 11/07/2016:

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time and we are very happy you enjoyed the course. We hope you will continue to come back and play The Fort Golf Resort here in Indianapolis, IN again. Book your next tee time quick and easy here at www.thefortgolfcourse.com

"Good Pete Course"

kennedyins's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Great staff, and good practice facilities. Course was in excellent condition. Tee selections make the course very playable for about any handicap. Not the most challenging Dye course but a lot fun for the first time player.

Response from The Fort Golf Course on 10/10/2016:

Thank you so much for your review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we are happy you enjoyed the golf course. Please come back and see us again soon as we are always looking for ways of improving the golfer experience. Hope to see you again very soon!

"Very scoreable"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2016

Very pleasant course that is extremely playable. Mid to high handicappers will really enjoy playing here. Better players probably will find it a bit pedestrian. It is the most un-Pete Dye course I have ever played. I don't recall seeing a single railroad tie. There was a signature waste bunker with grass islands late in the round. Fun place to enjoy a relaxing round and post a low score if you're on your game.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 01/04/2017:

Thank you BrandonWebb for your review and feedback of our golf course. We are so happy you had a good time on the course and found it to be a relaxing round. We hope you will continue to golf with us throughout the season and come back and see us again soon.

"Great course, great conditions and a fun round of golf"

jhoban18's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We played The Fort on our way out of Indy at 8:30am on a Sunday. The course was cart path only due to a large amount of rain the previous day. Completely understandable and not a problem. Yardage cards in the carts helped plenty with the distances and which clubs to take out with us if we had a long walk from the path. The course actually drained very well. The fairways were in perfect condition and got plenty of rollout. The rough wasn't to bad but some lies were tough due to the wet grass. Plenty of bunkers on the course, especially in the fairways making you drive the ball well off the tee. The greens weren't cut that day, I guess due to the rain fall. I used to work on a grounds crew so I can understand that the greens would have soft spots and the mowers can "dig" a bit, but I thought the crew could have at least whipped the dew off the greens. We played the first eight holes with water spitting up off the ball on putts and putting through footprints and ball lines on dewy greens. Once the sun finally came out and the dew burnt off, the greens started rolling at a nice and quick pace. That was the only negative for me during the round. We had a group in front of us that was slowing the whole course up on the front and the ranger took care of that. We had no issues with the pace after about the 6th hole. The two or three rangers that we saw were very polite and would stop and talk to us to make sure our round was going great. It was very welcoming to have that, although I know some players don't want to be bothered during a round.

All in all, each hole was memorable and had it's own character. There are 5 sets of tees (if I remember correctly) so play the correct tees and you will have a fun, challenging day of golf.

Commented on 09/26/2016

Thank you for your 5-star review and feedback jhoban18. We are so happy you had a great time on the course and enjoyed your round. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and please come back and see us again very soon!

"Great Course! One of the best in Indianapolis!!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2016

Course was in Fantastic shape and was challenging yet playable!!

Commented on 09/26/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are so happy you had a great time on the course. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and please come back and see us again very soon!

"A Slow Day"

Wazjd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played the Fort several years ago and couldn't wait to play it again this year. Some heavy rain had washed out some areas and the course was cart path only so the pace of play was very slow. Course was in great shape. Starter filled us in on the local rules before we headed out. Marshals on the course tried to keep things moving but it began to back up fairly quickly because it is a challenging course and cart path only that day. Expect to see deer crossing the fairways and other wildlife while golfing. Some forced carries and elevation changes make for a few very difficult holes. I thought the price may have been a little high, but overall a great place to play.

Commented on 09/15/2016

Wazjd-

We appreciate all of our customers feedback. It is unfortunate to hear that during your round it was cart path only due to weather conditions, but great to hear you still enjoyed your overall round. We would love to have you come back when conditions are not affected by unfavorable weather.

"Very nice golf course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

I enjoyed playing The Fort. It's got a lot going for it. Elevation changes, very good course conditions, four different tee boxes on each hole, golf carts in good condition.

Commented on 09/15/2016

Thank you for your 4 star rating u363487811. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the elevation changes and the conditions of the course.

"Layout gem"

CozEmotto's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

18 holes of character. Not at all what I expected find in Indiana. A lot of risk reward shots available, with tee selections for every skill level. The true defense of the course comes alive on the greens. Playing here is a treat not to be missed if you have the opportunity. Do not be hesitant about the price it is a great value for the layout alone. The only negative I experienced was the same on almost every public facility. Divot and pitch repair. Look foreword to playing here again.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thank you CozEmotto for your review and 4-stars of The Fort Golf Course. We are so happy you were pleasantly surprised in the course and are so excited that you had such a good time. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and please come back and see us again very soon!

"Nice course SLOW. Pace"

Tgooley's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016

1 hour to play last 4 holes at 4 in the afternoon !!!! Course was in fair shape , no one seems to know how to repair ball marks. No ranger seen on back after apologizing at 10th hole for slow play (but on time according f to him).

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thank you Tgooley for your review and feedback. We apologize for the slow play on the course. We are always monitoring and managing pace of play, but it can sometimes be quite challenging to accommodate everyone. We hope you will come back and see us again very soon!

"Reputation does not meet expectations"

muyttec0001's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016

Scenery and layout excellent..fairways generally in good condition..all sand traps in horrible condition..washed out..requires new base and top sand..greens are spotchy and bare spots..indoor staff pleasent..starters and rangers needs to encourage adherence to time and ready golf play..would be in the lower third of the courses I would recommend to friends to play in its current condition.

Roger

Starter and Ranger

12 Handicap

Commented on 09/06/2016

Thank you muyttec001 for your review and feedback of our golf course. We are currently working on course conditions to get them back up to par and we hope you will come back and see us again very soon with all the new changes in place.

craigslosson1964's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

"Problems"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016

The greens are a mess ! And the pace of play was brutal

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for the review and feedback. We are currently working on course conditions and getting them up to par. We appreciate your time and comments and will continue to make changes. Please come back and see us again soon!

"No accommodations for handicap golfer"

kirchgassner's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016

Unfortunately I use a handicap flag for my cart this year. Every course I have played (public and private) have been more than accommodating and respectful. Not here. This has been one of my favorite courses for years. However, I doubt if I return.

My friendliness rating does not apply to the starter. I would give him 5 stars.

Commented on 10/12/2016

I emailed to discuss the problem,as requested. I had no response. It obviously appears they do not mean what they say

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you kirchgassner for the review and feedback. We apologize if you were treated anything less than spectacular, Please send us an email at fortgolfresortmanagement@gmail.co so we can discuss further and invite you back for another round. Thanks again and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"Best Public Course Layout in Indy!"

Brdharris's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2016

This is my favorite public course to play in Indy, the staff and teaching professionals are top notch. The range and practice areas are head and shoulders above any other course around. The layoff with beautiful views and drastic elevation changes is unmatched even by the more expensive courses around. This course gets a lot of play and the greens have a tendency to get beat up slightly so please fix your pitch marks on the greens. If you read this review and you haven't played The Fort GC, please do you won't be disappointed.

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you Brdharris for the review. We are so happy you had an enjoyable experience on the course and we hope you will continue to golf with us throughout the season. Come back and see us again very soon!