The Fort Golf Resort

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
Caddies: No

Dress code: Shirts must have collars. Tank tops, t-shirts, cut-offs, and athletic shorts are not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes thick rough   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"4 Star Course - 5 Star Price"

DrOldSchool's avatar
Indy Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2017

Gave The Fort another go today and it was in better shape than when I played and reviewed it this time last year. Still a bit rough around the edges in spots, especially on the front. But overall it's an interesting layout with lots of elevation change. Fairways are wide, and greens are not as tricked up as others around here.

Still, my playing partner and I both agreed - for the price point, we expected a little more and would rather go to others like Prairie View, Bear Slide, or Purgatory over this course. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad course - far from it actually. Top 5 in the area? No. Top 10? Yes. Ultimately, it's just not worth what they charge for full freight when there are better options cheaper nearby.

"Golf maintenance"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

The golf course was in fantastic shape. The greens,the bunkers,and the condition of the course was outstanding. For the price it is the best maintained course I have played in the lsat 3 years

"The Fort experience"

Jeff8089060's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

This is a Pete Dye design and can be a little difficult at times. Course was beautiful and hilly for Indiana. A former military owned course taken over by the national parks. Very nice layout that will test your skills. If you play it twice, play white tees first and then then from the tips. Totally different experience. Greens are a little quick with enough bumps and slope to make it very interesting.

"A bit beat up"

Sean9871545's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

My buddy and I had heard a lot about the Pete Dye re-design so we decided to check out The Fort on a recent golf trip to Indy.

I must say it was a beautiful track. People had told us that when you play The Fort, you won't feel like you are in Indiana because of all the elevation changes and sweeping views. They were right. In that regard, and in that regard ONLY, it reminded me of the Pete Dye Course in French Lick.

My buddy enjoyed The Fort more than I did. Of the five courses we played while in Indy, The Fort was easily the most beat up. Tough to get a level lie on some tee boxes and the par-3 tee boxes were absolutely weed-infested. The greens looked like they had received a beating as well with pockmarks everywhere.

All in all, I would play The Fort again just to see if I get the same experience and try to give it another chance.

"Another great day at The Fort"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Picture perfect weather didn't hurt. Course is picturesque, challenging enough but not unfair.

Twilight rates are a great deal.

Nasty wasp infestation on one of the back 9 greens that I trust has already been dealt with.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/28/2017:

Thank you so much for the 5-star review of our golf course. We are thrilled to see the weather cooperated and you were able to get in a good challenging round. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and come back and see us again very soon!

"Great conditions"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

Even with rain delay, course dried fast. Greens were still fast and true. Top local course in Indy.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/26/2017:

Thanks so much for the great 5-star review of the conditions of the course. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again very soon.

"This course is sweet!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

I would recommend this course to anyone. It's a great layout firm but fair! Fairways perfect! Tees perfect! Greens very nice!!

"Great Pete Dye course without some of the excesses"

RavensGolfer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

Mr Dye is best known for courses like TPC Sawgrass, PGA Stadium, Whistling Straits, etc. Bold, visually challenging sites done on a grand scale (and a grand budget). The Fort shows off his design skills on a more normal landscape and budget and more playable for the average golfer. Didn't notice any railroad ties, but the greens and surrounds were definitely up to the Dye standard - you need to pay close attention to the severe and subtle slopes when chipping or putting. Generally not a tough driving course, though as usual Mr Dye has created some visual challenges.

The course was soaked from almost 4 inches of rain in the past few days, but for the most part the course drained reasonably well (except for the bunkers). Greens rolled nicely though a little slow given the conditions.

Would defiantly put this in the top 3 Indy courses I've played.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/24/2017:

Thanks, RavensGolfer for the great 4-star review even with all the rain and soggy conditions. We appreciate you coming out to the course and we hope to see you back again very soon once everything dries up a bit.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/31/2017:

Thanks for the 5-star review and feedback of The Fort Golf Resort. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon for more of the best golf in Indianapolis.

"Not worth the money...very poor bunkers...driving range closed..."

caldycaldy's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

The reviews on this course must not be avid golfers. Not one bunker on the course had been maintained meaning at the least, raked. Every bunker looked like it hadn't been touched in over a month, missing sand, and certainly not what I would have expected. On top of that, the driving range is always closed on Tuesdays (not posted in the description) and even closed on a holiday. I've never seen that. The greens were good but I can't accept a higher rate than excellent alternatives like Plum Creek or Bear Slide which were in great shape and less money. Disappointing to say the least.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/10/2017:

Thank you caldycaldy for the review of our golf course. We're sorry that you did not enjoy your time on the course. We appreciate you leaving your feedback so we can address each of your issues. Our staff is working very hard on course conditions and we hope you will come back and see us again once the changes have had time to settle in.

"Great course"

mercikgolf123's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

I have played this course several times a year since moving to the Indy area six years ago. I like it because of the variety of holes, the elevation changes, and how well kept the course is.The starter couldn't have been nicer. Same for the several marshals we passed by while playing our round. We will definitely be back!!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/16/2017:

Thank you mercikgolf123 for the 5-star review and feedback of the golf course. We love hearing you have decided to come back and play after so much time and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Awesomeness"

MPTTOUR's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The guy in the booth on hole one gave us tips about the course that really helped. We were paired up with another group of two that included a member which was nice to have him give us the right places to play the ball. Can't wait to play this course again.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/19/2017:

Thank you MPTTOUR for your 5-star review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we love hearing our staff took such great care of you and you can't wait to play again. Come back and see us again very soon

"Tough track outside Indianapolis"

lanesny's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2017
Used cart Perfect weather

too hilly to walk. very picturesque and several tough tee shots. 3rd hole is a par 5 which the fairway slopes from right to left. not an easy par 5. very distinguishing layout especially on par 3's. very friendly staff and the lodge at Fort Harrison was very accomodating.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/16/2017:

Thank you lanesny for your 5-star review and feedback of our golf course. It is fantastic to see you had such a great day and our staff took such great care of you. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again very soon!

"Beautiful scenery!"

Stephannika's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

This is a must play course in Indy! Amazing views with challenging landscape. Course was in excellent condition. Tee times were on time and courteous rangers periodically came around and asked how we were doing. Enjoyed our round immensely and would 100% play here again!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/05/2017:

Thank you Stephannika for your 5-star review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and are thrilled you enjoyed the landscape and conditions of The Fort Golf Resort. Please come back and see us again very soon!

"Great Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

What a great find in the east side of town. Definitely will go back!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/05/2017:

Thank you So much for the fantastic 5-star review of The Fort Golf Resort. We are thrilled to hear you will be back and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Vacation Choice"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

Course was in great shape. Greens were fast and true with hidden breaks. Interesting elevation changes. In town for vacation. Reminded me of a Northern Michigan Course. Would play again.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/05/2017:

Thank you so much for the fantastic 4-star review of the Fort Golf Resort. We are thrilled you had a good time on the course and you enjoyed the conditions. Please come back and see us again very soon!

"First Trip to The Fort"

Mooch27's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

On our annual trip to the Indianapolis 500, we decided to mix in a little golf. I happened across this course, and from the on-line reviews and pictures, it looked like a good choice. Was I ever right. The course is public, but it's run like a private course. There were "bag boys" to greet us. The Pro Shop Staff was very friendly. The course was wet, so cart path only. a tough course to walk, but still very enjoyable. The course was in GREAT condition, even wet. Course Marshalls appeared every so often and kept the round moving. So nice to have marshalls. A drink cart came around often. I HIGHLY recommend this course, but it is a Pete Dye design, so you'll be in for a few risk reward shots. don't miss the fairway. :)

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/06/2017:

Thank you Mooch27 for your review and feedback. We appreciate you taking the time and are thrilled you chose our course The Fort Golf Resort to play while on your annual trip. We hope to see you back next year and please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here.

PlumBum's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/30/2017:

Thank you PlumBum for your 4-star review and feedback of our golf course. We are thrilled you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Top Notch - Can't Miss"

ex6275's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

The Fort Course is a top notch-cannot miss course if you are visiting Indy. From your first encounter with the Staff to each step along your day you could not ask for more. Overall course conditions of fairways, rough, and greens were all maintained in exceptional condition.

I will wrap it up by saying we played the 6,758 blue tees and it was all you need to be challenged and still enjoyable. Looking forward to my next trip and round!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/18/2017:

Thank you ex6275 for your review and feedback of our golf course. We are so happy you had a good time on the course and our staff took such great care of you. Please come back and see us again very soon!

"Terrific Golf Course"

Gdrice64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

I played the Fort Course today for the first time and was throughly impressed. Simply a fantastic track with amazing parkland views and NO HOUSES to be seen. The golf course was in great shape and the greens were rolling at a nice pace. Highly recommend if you are ever in the Indianapolis area and looking for a golf course, don't pass this up. Kudos to the staff and the superintendent for a great experience.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/18/2017:

Thank you Gdrice64 for your review and feedback of our golf course. We are so happy to hear you had such a good time on the course and would highly recommend us. Please come back and see us again very soon!