Kampen at Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Silver 72 5260 yards 66.7 121
Silver (W) 72 5260 yards 70.5 121

"Beast of a course from the back"

runningdog's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2017

At almost 6800 from the blues and 7400 from the blacks, this can be a beast, depending on how far you hit it and how safe you're keeping your drives. If you don't hit it over 250, 260...I'd say skip the blues.

The course is beautiful--it's got to be one of the best college courses in America..and one of the best courses in the MIdwest that I've played...I played on the way back from Chicago to Indianapolis on a Sunday afternoon when the course was relatively packed, and paid $50 and played in under three hours.

The par 3s on 2 and 17 were two of my favorites, but they favor a fade more than a draw. The few holes near the marsh on the back were fantastic. You'll use all your clubs in the bag...always one of the hallmarks to a great course. Easily my favorite Dye course in Indiana (though I haven't played French Lick)

"Amazing"

lanesny's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

Highlight of my trip to the midwest. 2 hour drive from Chicago, 1 hour drive from Indianapolis. Tee to green Birck Boilermaker was pristine. Very challenging course with penal fescue around the course. Enjoyable to walk. Staff was very friendly and didn't see another golfer until the back 9. if you're remotely near Purdue University, u dont want to miss this course.

"Awesome Layout"

cdptyler23's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Really enjoyed my experience here at the Kampen Course. The Golf course offers some good challenges while also being fair. Only negatives was it took till the 15th hole to see a Beverage cart, and the starter tried giving us tips on the course we weren't even playing and held us up after we hit our tee shots for a good 5 minutes telling us irrelevant stories. Wish it wasn't so wet so it wasn't cart path only. Highly recommend this course for anyone traveling through or are attending a Purdue football game and want something else to do outside of the game.

"Kampen"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is only 2 miles from my house. Always been one of my favorites. Greens are usually perfect. Not as tough as it was years ago because they've cut the rough down to make it less penal. A course usually has 3 or 4 weakly designed holes, but IMHO Kampen only has one: #15. My favorite holes are 6 and 18.

"Beautiful Gem!"

SpartanGolfer11's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course is one you will want to play over and over again. Such a beautiful layout and well maintained piece of property. Large undulating greens await your approach shots, which may be from further out than you had hoped :)

This course is long, especially when the wind picks up, but tee it forward and you will have yourself one great day!

The only downside is the bunkers. They are all placed wonderfully and look pretty, but the sand is coarse and there are plenty of rocks in there to ruin a club or two.

"One of the best/toughest courses in Indiana"

Iamdiesel18's avatar
Illinois Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

I did my homework before playing here and knew that it was consistently rated as one of the best college golf courses in the country as well as one of the toughest golf courses in Indiana. After playing a round of golf here, I would agree with both of those assessments.

This is a Pete Dye designed course. It is the first Dye course that I have played so I can't compare it to his others. What I will say is that it is not your typical flat Indiana golf course. Dye did an excellent job of making you forget you are in Indiana. There are numerous elevation changes whether it is with an elevated tee box or a shot into an elevated green. The course is designed around a celery bog so water comes into play often, especially on the back 9.

The course has 5 different sets of tees each of which has recommendations for the player based upon their handicap. I played the tees appropriate for me and it led to a much more enjoyable round. This is not a course for beginners. It is a course for shot shapers/makers. Inaccurate tee shots will lead to trouble in numerous waste bunkers, long rough in undulating terrain, long fescue in areas, and lost balls in the water. I enjoyed the ability to be creative with angles on tee shots and shaping shots into the greens.

While the course is difficult, it is not impossible to score here (but then again, I didn't play from the tips). Even on a windy day, the par 5's were reachable in two shots. There are also several risk/reward par 4's that are almost drivable depending on the wind.

For it being October, the course was in excellent condition. I could tell that the course had a lot of rounds played on it over the spring and summer in that the greens were pretty marked up from ball marks. That being said, they still rolled very true and very fast. It was nice not having to worry so much about the speed, and just worry about your line. The fairways were in great shape and the rough was punishing. I don't think I found a single spot of hard pan all day.

The employees I dealt with were very helpful and accommodating, offering tips to us since it was the first time anyone in my group had played there. The pace of play was great. For a Saturday afternoon round, we never had to wait even with letting a single and a two-some play through.

When I finished my round, I went back into the clubhouse to compliment the workers on the course. They informed me that the second course at the complex was being redone by Pete Dye and should be ready to play in 2016. They advised they would be having an "all day" rate where you can play both courses for a discounted rate. I will certainly be making the drive down from Chicago (maybe multiple times) to take advantage of that offer.

When just looking at the rates, $80 a piece for a weekend round with a cart may seem steep but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I thoroughly enjoyed my round a Kampen and would have no problem paying that same amount for another round here. If you want to challenge yourself and play one of the best courses in Indiana (that I've seen so far), take the time to make the trip to West Lafayette and play here.

"Excellent golf experience"

boileralum97's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

First time playing Kampen. Considered the hardest course in this area for good reason. Had no expectations of shooting a low score, but enjoyed the outing anyway. Very well kept course. Staff very friendly.

"Challenging but fair"

skhvlhgmailcom's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/23/2013

This is a very well maintained course with many different types of challenges. Large undulating greens, numerous bunkers, odd angles & water hazards on several holes make you think about your shots much more than many courses. Multiple tees allow you to choose a yardage you're comfortable with. I would recommend that anyone who has an opportunity to play this course do so.

"enjoyed the play at Kampen"

golfbuddy70's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/20/2013

the course is very challenging even from the gold tee as I did---

"Fun course! We played tips and down."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/01/2013

It was a lot of fun. There was a junior tourney in front of us and the course showed some wear from it. It also pored the night before. I'm not sure how they usually map the pins but it seemed like we had pretty easy placements. With gamier pins and a few days of rest for the course, I'm sure its a whole different beast. Even how it was the day we played its deffinetly in the top 5 indiana courses. The views and general layout were more than we could have imagined for a celery bog in Indiana. Jk Pete did an amazing job with the design. I can't wait to play it again.

"Top quality golf course"

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2013

They set the bar pretty high when comparing to other courses. Very busy day but never had to wait or be pushed. Big greens but very difficult. If you can stay out of the heather, you will have more fun.

"Must be Played for Indiana Golf"

dshot22's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2013

This course is a masterpiece of golf architecture created by Pete Dye. There is nothing that I did not like about this course. The fairways were perfect and roll like waves. The greens were flawless, undulated in all directions, and were extremely fast. The waste bunkers were to be avoided and the bunkers by the greens could be troublesome if not avoided. Every hole layout was extremely well thought out and worked beautifully with the surrounding area. If you have not played this one and get the opportunity I can not recommend it enough. The value I got for this course with the deal found on GolfNow hot deal was an absolute steal for a course of this caliber.

"one of Pete Dyes's masterpieces"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 7/1/2013

great condition, and variety of holes. greens are tricky until you play it a few times..couple of blind tee shots.

"Great golf experience"

stern4545's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 6/20/2013

My playing partner and I played the south course in the morning and finished in 3 hours. That made us very early for our afternoon time on the Kampen course, but the staff was very accommodating.

"Great Course"

Radical1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/2/2013

Kampen is a beautiful links style course. Very fair if you stay in the fairway. The rough is thick and if you find the heather, strokes can add up in a hurry. The greens were in good shape considering they had been recently aerated. I am looking forward to playing this course agin when the greens are at their best.

"Ok"

40371349's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2012

Did not know that price was for walking. You need to make sure customers see that before they buy. I was not happy when they told me at the course that we owed $32 not $22.

"Purdue & Pete Dye"

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2012

Nice links style course, which also means the rough is, well, rough. If you miss the fairway, even by a few feet, you have likely lost your ball. This is especially true during the peak play time when the rough is long and lush.

I have played Kampen many times. It is a very challenging course, but it offers some interesting holes with some very nice looks over the natural bog that it was built around. GolfNow rates make this course very attractive indeed!