Bulle Rock Golf Club

4.8182000000 4.8 stars from 5 (11)

• 320 Blenheim Ln, Havre de Grace, Maryland 21078, Harford County
  • (888) 285-5375, (410) 939-8887
  • www.bullerock.com

Year built: 1998
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1998)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass
Golf Season: March - November

Caddies: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.8 stars from 5

"Too much hype"

Phillygolfguy13's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2016

After hearing from plenty of golfers that I had to play Bulle Rock, I signed up to play in a tournament there. The tournament was cancelled but we were able to play for $90 with a $30 meal credit. The fact I only had to pay this discounted amount kept this from being a 2 star review.

First the course was in great shape. The fairways were great and the greens rolled true.

Unfortunately I did not care for the Pete Dye design. If you hit the ball long and straight you will find yourself in trouble. The contours of the fairways will repel good shots into trouble.

Also the course gives you these odd green repair tools. The staff makes a big deal about them but the ball scars on the green show that they do not work. On the par threes it looks like the surface of the moon with all of the half repaired ball marks.

Course Layout: Poor

"Great but hard course"

Kurtzdevelop's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016

Played here for the first time. Been wanting to play here, since it was a course on my bucket list. It's a very tough course. Fast greens. But nothing negative to say. Just be prepared.

"Bucket List Course"

PlayItForward280's avatar
Central PA Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We teed off on the back nine at 11:00AM on a hot August day following a thunderstorm that produced a deluge the night before. The only reason we knew that was because the course played cart paths only and the starter told us about the storm. Except for a few soggy areas on the lowest portions of a few fairways, the course was pristine.

Cart paths only significantly slows pace of play. You'll get a workout walking across wide fairways getting to your ball and climbing/descending short stretches of pretty steep terrain. You'll also have to carry multiple clubs to some shots because it's hard to see what kind of lie you're in from the cart path.

I rarely had a flat lie on the fairway -- almost all of them slope one way or another. Or they have humps and dips to negotiate.

Rough bordering fairways isn't tall, but it's high enough to "hide" a ball and make second shots difficult. Rough bordering some greens is taller; it definitely makes it hard to get up and down.

Many greens are long and narrow. Pins are located sequentially on the front, middle, and back of the greens. It takes an extra club to reach the back pin locations. After all that rain, the greens easily held our approach shots. They were fast, but I'll bet they usually run even faster. Not too many undulations or multi levels. Just slopes. I like that! Many greens feature huge oscillating fans. They're really nice on a hot day!

There is water on the course -- ponds and a creek. Bunkers -- green side and fairway -- come into play on many holes.

Well-stocked pro shop. Great locker room. Nice electric carts. Very friendly staff. Great turkey sandwich at the turn. All amenities are first rate.

Player Tip: Play from the appropriate tee; you'll enjoy your round a lot more. Stay to the left on thirteen!

"Golf at its finest"

brewcrew61's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016

Bulle Rock has been on my list to play for a very long time. The only problem now is I'm not so sure I can make it back as frequently as I would like. What a course. The fairways are deceiving due to the relatively "wide-open" looks you get. You better stay on the fairways because the rough is no joke. The greens are the closest you will get to professional speeds. Well manicured, very attention to detail oriented course like no other in the area. We will definitely be back soon to play Bulle Rock.

"wonderful course"

stephenryan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

First time playing here and it was a pleasure. lts a very nice course, well maintained with great fairway, greens and tee boxes. Our group will surely play here again, it is a very scenic course with a great layout. Our only complaint is that our carts died, one on the 15th and the other on 17.

"Best course I've ever played!"

cyalatermd3558994's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Even after playing over 200+ courses, Bulle Rock remains my all time favorite. It offers a little bit of everything. It is very difficult, but fair. No gimics whatsoever. My personal favorite hole is # 9.

"Tough and Fair"

bfalker's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2014

I love the game of golf. This golf course is designed, built, managed and cared for with that same love. Getting your ball in the fairway is a tough test but navigating the Pete Dye designed greens is stiff challenge. There is not a round of golf here I haven't felt tested for 4 hours and left exhausted, both physically and mentally. Bulle Rock is a PGA tour course for the everyday golfer. Do yourself a favor and play this course.

"Best in MD"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Good weather

Hands down best public course in MD. You can walk, ride, get a caddy. Conditions are phenomenal. greens are fast ,true but hold. Staff is best of any course I played. You can even get shoes shined and spikes changed. Frequent Player pass is a great deal

Player Tip: If you get in rough just take medicine and chip out

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"The course is just another great Pete dye design"

AnthonyBarr's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The staff at Bulle rock was amazing. The course was also amaizing

Player Tip: Watch out for the water on holes 9 and 18

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Worth every penny...You will not be disappointed!"

Boomin4evr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/6/2013

I have played the course two times before and every time has been awesome. The course is always in excellent condition as expected since it is/was an LPGA tour stop.
When I arrived, the bag drop gentlemen were quick to get me situated along with a personal bag tag. Everything was taken care of as I parked in front of the facility. Check in was a breeze. They gave me a $5 off coupon to use at the restaurant/bar after the round.
Side note, I arrived at the course one and a half hours early so I could use the practice areas. After I checked in I went to the driving range. The range was in a great condition with the balls towered waiting to be smashed. There was a water station along with buckets to clean off the clubs.
After a solid forty-five minutes, I proceeded to the short game section: putting green and chipping/pitching greens. This is the coolest part of the facility besides the course. There are multiple greens that are in excellent shape. One green is located beside the first tee that is flat and rolling true. The other green is much smaller and it is next to the chipping area. Once again, the green rolls true but has some undulation to it. Both greens were fast and true.
The wedge area was awesome! They have multiple greens, multiple areas to pitch from, and various bunkers. The bunkers were raked and in perfect condition (no rocks, pebbles, etc). Also, there were a number of ball bags fully stock with golfballs.
My warm up was just like the pros.
I went to the first tee with ten minutes to go before I teed off. I booked the tee time as a single so I was well aware that I would be paired with someone. The started paired me with a guy that was pretty good. The starter was very polite and informative. The course does not let you use your own divot repair tool, they provide you with the ones they want you to use.
We teed off on time. Since it was the two of us on a Sunday morning, we played at a foursome pace. We kept a good place and didn't have to wait for the threesome in front of us. There were a number of rangers on the course to keep everything moving.
The course was in great condition. The greens were excellent! They rolled true and had a consistent speed throughout the round. I was very pleased with the course. There were too many great/picturesque holes to name.

If you are a newbie to the game, this isn't the course for you. You should have some skill in all areas of the game if you want to take on this beast. The course requires you to be patient and play smart. You can score well if you make the easy play (heart of the greens, 3w off the tee, laying up). I will play the course again if I get the chance (winter golf bc its cheaper).

Tooting the horn: Gold tees with a 42 on the front, and 38 on the back (even par going into 18)

"Great Course"

duma78's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2013

Vintage Pete Dye. Course in amazing condition at the time, pricey but worth it I think. The front nine is linksy and the back more wooded. The tract of land on the back nine is amazing - wooded, hilly, forested, rock outcroppings, deer everywhere - LOVED it.

The only negative to the day was the pro shop cashier - total smug & rude "oh gosh...more annoying customers" attitude. Assistants and guy helping with the clothing was super nice however.