Bulle Rock Golf Club

Caddies: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

"Great Condition"

Titleist21901's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2017

We played there yesterday in an MSGA event. The only reason we signed up was to experience the course and we were not disappointed. It was in its usual excellent condition, greens had recently been aerated so they were a little bumpy for the speed they were running but had filled in somewhat so not too bad. The guys unloading bags and setting up carts were great as usual.

Very slow play however, waited on every shot, 5.5 hour round. Two groups waiting on some par 3 tees. With it being MSGA run I doubt the course staff could do anything about it though. My attention span for golf only runs about 3.5 hours so I was 'done' early as far as scoring goes, but I expected that going into it so I really didn't care. I'd go back and play it but not in a tourney, I'd pick a day / time that I could get around much quicker.

Only minor issue was the yardage book i bought in pro shop, don't bother getting one. I like to use them to verify carrying distance for fairway traps and hazards Mr. Dye put out there to snag your ball. Probably not a big issue since most players use electronic gadgets now. They were consistently off from the gps & laser yardages playing partners were using and the actual 'playing yardage'. Yardages in the book were even different from the scorecard on a par 3. Time for me to go electronic :) .

Based on my struggles around their greens chipping from the thick luscious rough I tried to update my golfer rating to Chopper but that isn't a choice! I need to find someplace that has grass like that to practice in before going back.

"Quite a Hike from DC; Dye being Dye"

EthanZimman's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2017

For those considering playing this course that live in the DMV make plans well in advance. It's a very long drive and while worth it, you won't want to do it again for a while.

This Top 100 Pete Dye track owes more to it's ranking thanks to it's architect than the actual course. While there are many fine holes, it may not blow you away like others. There's a fair amount of variety and challenge as is typical for Dye, but the course is unyielding if you choose to play the wrong tees. My recommendation would be to play up 1 tee box and have more fun, than trying to be a hero and stuck hitting long irons and hybrid approaches all day.

"Best in Class"

Davekent1973's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017

This is hands down the nicest public course in MD with a Top 100 ranking in the US (#52) Don't drive by...stop in a play.

"One of the Best"

Aces2x's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

Sorry to hear this course is for sale. It is definitely the best track with the best conditions in the DC/MD/VA area. Greens are several weeks from aeration, so rolling true. Maybe another week or two from being perfect. Hopefully whoever buys the course puts the same premium on course conditions the folks at Bulle have for so many years. Staff are very professional, marshals actually marshal the course - very rare. Frequent player deal is the way to go. Simple, smart program. Big fairways, premium on second shot and short game. Highly recommend this course.

"Local Celebrity"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

This was a complete surprise, I always try to get to a course at least 45 minutes ahead of the Tee time. Bulle Rock in my opinion is an hour for sure since by the time you check in, wander around the pro shop and this is a pro shop, get out to your cart and smile at your name on your Bulle Rock bag tag. Now you are driving to the range ( follow the dots ) go to the very end and circle back, pick a spot to park and take your bag. I prefer to start light with sand wedge pitching wedge 9 iron then work to the longer irons, then fairway woods then only a few driver, then back to my 60 degree wedge. A whole pyramid of balls,, not a vending machine that spits out a small when you paid for a large. Drive back ( follow the same dots but in reverse ) to the putting green by the starter, bump a few around I usually bring 3 balls that are the brand and series I;m using get a feel for the greens. drive back past the starter to the snack bar, I got coffee since it was cold, wet and a little wind here and there. I went up to the Starter made small talk. The gr4oup I was supposed to play with bailed out since they may have gotten a little wet.

The staff put me in at 9 or so with a pair who I did not know a situation I;ve been in many times.

This time was a complete a real surprise. The pair rolled up did the usual routine of getting balls tees selecting clubs small talk etc, first name introductions ( a odd feeling of familiarity ) step up and tee off. As the one fellow walked back to his cart passed me it dawned on me, I walk over to the cart and introduced my full name and said his then told him what an honor it is to out here with him.

It's funny I've been playing for 9 seasons here in this area when I went to hit my 2nd shot my hands went numb my wrists felt like they had an electrical surge and my elbows felt like cinder blocks where hanging from them. I had to back off the shot catch my self and refocus. When you get to play with a professional athlete you'll get what I'm saying.

We finished out the front the clubhouse had a Bagpiper playing in the mist on a cool gloomy wet morning I heard the comment of " it feels and sounds like Scotland " and it did.

Everyone loosened up on the back 9 a little more chatter " good Shot" " nice putt etc. we finished out I wrapped up with a 95 I could have done better but we can always do better. I thought for a moment about asking for an autograph this man in his career has had many fans jumping out of their seats on Sunday afternoons and during the season myself included. So I ask if he would Attest my scorecard in which he did with a smile saying yes I can do that.

I hope that anyone reading this gets to play with a celebrity someday and I hope they have a great time just as I did.

As for the course it's a Must play.

"Great course"

Touyh's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

I've play courses around the world and in many states, this is one of the super courses. You won't be disappointed. The staff is great, course is great, dining facility is great

"Too much hype"

Phillygolfguy13's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2016

After hearing from plenty of golfers that I had to play Bulle Rock, I signed up to play in a tournament there. The tournament was cancelled but we were able to play for $90 with a $30 meal credit. The fact I only had to pay this discounted amount kept this from being a 2 star review.

First the course was in great shape. The fairways were great and the greens rolled true.

Unfortunately I did not care for the Pete Dye design. If you hit the ball long and straight you will find yourself in trouble. The contours of the fairways will repel good shots into trouble.

Also the course gives you these odd green repair tools. The staff makes a big deal about them but the ball scars on the green show that they do not work. On the par threes it looks like the surface of the moon with all of the half repaired ball marks.

Course Layout: Poor

"Great but hard course"

Kurtzdevelop's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016

Played here for the first time. Been wanting to play here, since it was a course on my bucket list. It's a very tough course. Fast greens. But nothing negative to say. Just be prepared.

"Bucket List Course"

PlayItForward280's avatar
Central PA Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We teed off on the back nine at 11:00AM on a hot August day following a thunderstorm that produced a deluge the night before. The only reason we knew that was because the course played cart paths only and the starter told us about the storm. Except for a few soggy areas on the lowest portions of a few fairways, the course was pristine.

Cart paths only significantly slows pace of play. You'll get a workout walking across wide fairways getting to your ball and climbing/descending short stretches of pretty steep terrain. You'll also have to carry multiple clubs to some shots because it's hard to see what kind of lie you're in from the cart path.

I rarely had a flat lie on the fairway -- almost all of them slope one way or another. Or they have humps and dips to negotiate.

Rough bordering fairways isn't tall, but it's high enough to "hide" a ball and make second shots difficult. Rough bordering some greens is taller; it definitely makes it hard to get up and down.

Many greens are long and narrow. Pins are located sequentially on the front, middle, and back of the greens. It takes an extra club to reach the back pin locations. After all that rain, the greens easily held our approach shots. They were fast, but I'll bet they usually run even faster. Not too many undulations or multi levels. Just slopes. I like that! Many greens feature huge oscillating fans. They're really nice on a hot day!

There is water on the course -- ponds and a creek. Bunkers -- green side and fairway -- come into play on many holes.

Well-stocked pro shop. Great locker room. Nice electric carts. Very friendly staff. Great turkey sandwich at the turn. All amenities are first rate.

"Golf at its finest"

brewcrew61's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016

Bulle Rock has been on my list to play for a very long time. The only problem now is I'm not so sure I can make it back as frequently as I would like. What a course. The fairways are deceiving due to the relatively "wide-open" looks you get. You better stay on the fairways because the rough is no joke. The greens are the closest you will get to professional speeds. Well manicured, very attention to detail oriented course like no other in the area. We will definitely be back soon to play Bulle Rock.

"wonderful course"

stephenryan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

First time playing here and it was a pleasure. lts a very nice course, well maintained with great fairway, greens and tee boxes. Our group will surely play here again, it is a very scenic course with a great layout. Our only complaint is that our carts died, one on the 15th and the other on 17.

"Best course I've ever played!"

cyalatermd3558994's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Even after playing over 200+ courses, Bulle Rock remains my all time favorite. It offers a little bit of everything. It is very difficult, but fair. No gimics whatsoever. My personal favorite hole is # 9.

"Tough and Fair"

bfalker's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2014

I love the game of golf. This golf course is designed, built, managed and cared for with that same love. Getting your ball in the fairway is a tough test but navigating the Pete Dye designed greens is stiff challenge. There is not a round of golf here I haven't felt tested for 4 hours and left exhausted, both physically and mentally. Bulle Rock is a PGA tour course for the everyday golfer. Do yourself a favor and play this course.

"Best in MD"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Good weather

Hands down best public course in MD. You can walk, ride, get a caddy. Conditions are phenomenal. greens are fast ,true but hold. Staff is best of any course I played. You can even get shoes shined and spikes changed. Frequent Player pass is a great deal

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"The course is just another great Pete dye design"

AnthonyBarr's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The staff at Bulle rock was amazing. The course was also amaizing

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Worth every penny...You will not be disappointed!"

Boomin4evr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/6/2013

I have played the course two times before and every time has been awesome. The course is always in excellent condition as expected since it is/was an LPGA tour stop.<br/> When I arrived, the bag drop gentlemen were quick to get me situated along with a personal bag tag. Everything was taken care of as I parked in front of the facility. Check in was a breeze. They gave me a $5 off coupon to use at the restaurant/bar after the round.<br/> Side note, I arrived at the course one and a half hours early so I could use the practice areas. After I checked in I went to the driving range. The range was in a great condition with the balls towered waiting to be smashed. There was a water station along with buckets to clean off the clubs.<br/> After a solid forty-five minutes, I proceeded to the short game section: putting green and chipping/pitching greens. This is the coolest part of the facility besides the course. There are multiple greens that are in excellent shape. One green is located beside the first tee that is flat and rolling true. The other green is much smaller and it is next to the chipping area. Once again, the green rolls true but has some undulation to it. Both greens were fast and true.<br/> The wedge area was awesome! They have multiple greens, multiple areas to pitch from, and various bunkers. The bunkers were raked and in perfect condition (no rocks, pebbles, etc). Also, there were a number of ball bags fully stock with golfballs.<br/> My warm up was just like the pros.<br/> I went to the first tee with ten minutes to go before I teed off. I booked the tee time as a single so I was well aware that I would be paired with someone. The started paired me with a guy that was pretty good. The starter was very polite and informative. The course does not let you use your own divot repair tool, they provide you with the ones they want you to use.<br/> We teed off on time. Since it was the two of us on a Sunday morning, we played at a foursome pace. We kept a good place and didn't have to wait for the threesome in front of us. There were a number of rangers on the course to keep everything moving.<br/> The course was in great condition. The greens were excellent! They rolled true and had a consistent speed throughout the round. I was very pleased with the course. There were too many great/picturesque holes to name.

If you are a newbie to the game, this isn't the course for you. You should have some skill in all areas of the game if you want to take on this beast. The course requires you to be patient and play smart. You can score well if you make the easy play (heart of the greens, 3w off the tee, laying up). I will play the course again if I get the chance (winter golf bc its cheaper).

Tooting the horn: Gold tees with a 42 on the front, and 38 on the back (even par going into 18)

"Great Course"

duma78's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2013

Vintage Pete Dye. Course in amazing condition at the time, pricey but worth it I think. The front nine is linksy and the back more wooded. The tract of land on the back nine is amazing - wooded, hilly, forested, rock outcroppings, deer everywhere - LOVED it.

The only negative to the day was the pro shop cashier - total smug & rude "oh gosh...more annoying customers" attitude. Assistants and guy helping with the clothing was super nice however.