WestWinds Golf Club

Architect(s): William F. Mitchell
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers seniors   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways thick rough   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole specials

"Only played nine holes"

drossme's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016

After playing nine holes I decided to give up. And talking to the staff the course has been sold to another owner so they're hoping that it'll start to improve come spring so check it out then if you like

Response from West Winds Golf Club on 11/21/2016:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Yes, it's been a year of challenge for West Winds but we're very confident that we will come back next season greater than ever and we hope to see you back out here then!

"Needs help"

John3036927's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016

There is more weeds then grass.

Response from West Winds Golf Club on 10/24/2016:

Thank you for the feedback, John. We're diligently working to improve conditions and we hope you'll play again in the future to see our great progress.

"Terrible Condition"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in terrible condition. Having played this course many times in years past, it was always in good condition and a great value for the money. This time, the course was in terrible shape. The T boxes had all been moved up from their original places and thus, the holes greatly shortened. The T boxes were uneven and in bad shape. The fairways were even worse: bare places had no grass, and much of the covered areas were weeds. One hole, the 15th was closed altogether..

Course Layout: Poor

Response from West Winds Golf Club on 10/17/2016:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are in the process of a major renovation and rejuvenation of our conditions. We hope you will come out and see the great results once we are finished!

"West Winds"

bobp001's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Course is in serious disrepair. Was told management has been changed, and it will be shut down until Oct 2016 for repair.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Yes, we are working very very hard to improve our conditions and get the course back to the condition it belongs and our golfers deserve. We hope to see you again upon re-opening.

"DOG TRACK!!!"

TRH1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

GOLF NOW SHOULD REMOVE WESTWINDS COURSE

FROM YOUR LIST!!!

Commented on 09/20/2016

We're so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your round here. We are working very hard to get the course back in great condition.

"Bad conditions"

rbyczkow's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Usually this course is packed and the pace is very slow. This time it wasn't and I suspect it's because of how bad the course conditions were. The tee boxes and greens were in horrible condition. Felt like I was playing miniature golf with the bumps and issues on the green.

Commented on 09/20/2016

We understand your frustration and we are working very hard to improve and perfect our conditions. Please come and see us again in the future!

"Course is bad condition"

mywkim's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016

Fairway and green is bad condition .

Commented on 09/20/2016

We are working to improve our conditions diligently and we hope you'll play us again and see for yourself. Thanks and have a great day!

"Great course for casual golfers"

rswans23's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016

Course conditions were great. Fairways were open and greens were smooth. Would definitely play this course again!

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thank you for the kind words, rswans23! We look forward to seeing you again, as well!

"Westwinds Has Gone Downhill"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course was in much worse shape than when I played it 5 weeks ago. Many fairways browned out and have uneven grass growth. Tee boxes are chewed up and have weeds/tall grass growing. Rough can be very thick in some places. Greens still had aeration holes and were the slowest I've played all year.

The cart paths have always been extremely bumpy. I probably won't go back until there has been enough rain to get things green again.

Commented on 09/20/2016

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, the lack of rain had certainly taken a toll. We understand your frustration but we hope you'll give us another shot sometime soon.

"One to pass on"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016

Course conditions were poor! Fairways were not kept very well. Greens were full of ball marks. Some hole didn't have yardage markers, some did? Food was good but service is slow! No beverage cart! Course has potential if someone would put some effort into maintaining it. Won't go back

Commented on 09/20/2016

We're so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your round with us! We're continuously working to improve our conditions and we hope you'll play us again in the future.

"Decent course, poor treatment by "owner""

Jennifer7498294's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016

The course was in decent shape, some fairways and greens needed some love though. Played as a threesome and we had some challenges with the narrow fairways and bordering houses but overall it was a good experience. The unfortunate experience we had was on 18. Two of us had teed off and I was on the tee box setting up when a lady in a cart pulled up to me and said she was Ginny, the owner and she and her friend (in another) cart were playing in a tournament and asked if they could play though. It seemed odd to me me but we said yes and waited since typically someone who asks to play through plays fast and tidy. Her friend walked to the tee and he then turned around and started talking to her and they proceeded to have about a 4 minute conversation. Then he slowly approached he tee and took his shot. She then went to the red tee, made a few comments, then took her shot and off they went. So, I finally got to tee off and we headed to the fairway. All of the sudden the owner's friend came racing back in his cart, circled right in front of us on the fairway and dropped a ball to hit a practice shot. I was stunned and laughed at him in surprise. He said "sorry", took his shot and then went back to the green to finish the hole with the owner. Meanwhile, our poor friend who teed off first was sitting out in his cart in the fairway waiting the whole time. I feel that if they were "playing in a tournament", the play through should have been performed with etiquette and the paying guests of the "owners" golf club should be treated with a little more respect. Otherwise, the amenities were nice and the other staff we encountered was very pleasant.

"Course was worth the money."

jimfoster62's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Enjoyed playing although was slow play.

Commented on 09/20/2016

We apologize for the slow pace of play. We understand how frustrating that can be. But thank you for the review just the same!

"Not in good shape this year"

rhunter's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016

I've played West Winds several times every year for the past four years and it is usually in pretty good condition. I was surprised this past weekend as the greens were not in good shape and the fairways also were not up to par. Hopefully they will improve this month but I was disappointed.

rhunter,

Thank you for the feedback. We're continuously working to improve conditions and we hope you'll play us again in the future.

"West Winds review 2016"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016

Overall good was course. Plays well and pace of play was fair. Layout was fun and was a good atmosphere. Holes seemed to be compressed by the neighboring houses. Greens were consistent but fairways were somewhat blurred with roughs.

u305305600 -

thank you for playing with us and providing your feedback of your time here! we appreciate the kind words and are looking forward to your next round with us! until then, take care!

all the best wishes,

WestWinds GC Management

"LEARN HOW TO OPERATE A GOLF COURSE"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016

Having played this course for years I know to expect a slow round every once in a while. Recently pace of play has become beyond acceptable. They need a ranger!! I guess they can't afford one. My guess is that money goes to the starter who might work one day a month. When he does he has no concept of spacing out groups and honoring the tee sheet. Despite bringing this up to the amateur pro shop staff, it falls on deaf ears. They are more concerned about volume of play instead of making the experience worthwhile and generating repeat customers. I live in the neighborhood but will choose to play at the many other, better, courses in the area that know what they are doing until I hear from other disappointed neighbors that things have changed. Goodbye Westwinds golf club, you had potential until the new ownership decided to run you into the ground.

u000007784439 -

First, we would like to thank you for choosing to play your day of golf here with us! We would also like to apologize for the negative experience you had here and can assure you that it is not our normal procedure here. Your opinion means the world to us and we are always wanting to improve upon your overall experience here. We promise you that your concerns will be addressed accordingly. We hope that you will give us another shot to provide you with the best day of golf possible!

"Great Course"

TheBman42's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

My wife and I played with her father and a friend. She and I are back golfing after a few years off. There was a tournament going on and we were a little rushed, but the staff on the course were great and very friendly. My only problem with the day was a narrow fairway par 5 (14th or 15th hole) where I went wide right and hit a window. The owner had a fit and complained how he is constantly hit and the course never does anything, and so on... It was a bit of a downer but stuff happens. I'm sure better players won't have to deal with this and I didn't let it spoil our outing

Commented on 10/17/2016

Sorry that happened. I have a powerful swing, but sometimes I hit an errant shot. However, when you live on a golf course, you take the risk of your property getting hit by golf balls. If they don't like it, they should move.

TheBman42,

thank you for the review and honest feedback of your time here with us! we appreciate you choosing to play here with us and we hope that you and your wife will be back again soon!

Take care!

All the best,

WestWinds GC Management

"Poor condition from many tee box to the green were there were brown patch on greens"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I had a 8;20 tee time start the round on time with no one in front of us and our group played 18 holes in 3.5 hour.

Their was not water to drink at none of the station set up to provide water many of tee box were over grown as well as fairways.

Also burn out greens that needed H2O,

I made a call to club house from 12 hole and the respond was sorry will let them no but this want help you.

Once I return to club house I want to check to see what had change from course from the last round I had played their. I was told by desk clerk golfer were state that course was in good condition. Not sure if that person plays golf or not but for sure This course is in poor condition. In many ways and unsafe for golfer in warm temp.

u074902225,

First, we would like to thank you for choosing to play West Winds GC for your last round! We would like to formally apologize for the lack of water on the course and are sorry that we did not make you aware of this ahead of time. We do, however, sell water for $1 that we recommend purchasing prior to teeing off. We value your opinion of us and appreciate the honest review. We can assure you that we are constantly striving to improve upon course conditions, customer service and our golfers overall experience with us and hope that you will come back to play here again soon so that we can provide you with the most enjoyable day of golf!

WestWinds GC Management

"Shot placement a premium at Westwinds"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2016

The ongulations and sight lines are what makes Westwinds golf cousre a challenge for golfers of every level. On practically every hole shot placement is at a premium. The tee boxes need a little work and new housing construction on 1 hole on the back nine appears to be problematic.

u000007732104,

thank you for choosing to play with us and providing your feedback of the course! we value your opinion of us and will use your review to address the concerns you brought up to improve your experience here. We hope that you will come back again soon!

All the very best wishes,

"Gone downhill.."

cruumps's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2016

I took advantage of a $9 hot deal and I'm glad I didn't pay more. This course has gone downhill in terms of the care of the course. Aerated in what seemed to be the last few weeks (very late for spring), ROCK hard fairways and greens. Don't even know if this course has a sprinkler system available to them. The greens used to be one of the best parts of this course, always manicured and held moisture. Absolutely the opposite yesterday. Additionally, the course seems to be a magnet for elderly Asian Americans, which is absolutely fine, however there is no ranger at this course and those "members" tend to drive all over the course, skipping holes, jumping ahead of golfers and are flat out rude. The course is very close to my house, but so are others. I will likely choose to play elsewhere next time.

cruumps -

first, we would like to thank you for playing with us and taking the time to write us a review. we would like to apologize for the course conditions but promise you that we care nothing more than to provide you with the very best day of golf with us! we hope that you will give us another shot to provide you with an overwhelmingly enjoyable experience!

WestWinds GC Management

"Bad conditions slow pace of play."

BergerKing22784's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2016

Was very disappointed. Played this course last year for about $30 and it came with a sandwich and the course was in great shape. This year I paid $48 and the greens were horrible and they did not even fill in the holes on the green. The pace of play was over 5 hours for the round and not a marshall in sight. Made me look like a fool to my friends as I told them this course was worth the trip (an hour each way). Oh well you live and learn. I won't make that mistake again.