Crumpin-Fox Club

• Parmenter Rd, Bernardston, Massachusetts 01337, Franklin County
  • (800) 943-1901, (413) 648-9685
  • golfthefox.com

Year built: 1977
Architect(s): Roger Rulewich (1990), Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1977), Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1989)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/15

Caddies: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.7 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers entertaining clients a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining amazing food

"MUST PLAY"

Kenny7825926's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2016

If you haven't played this course shame on you! Staff is awesome layout is beautiful and is a true challenge. If it was not an 1.5 hour drive I would be a member.

"FABULOUS"

mgmdjm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2016

Crumpin-Fox is a beautiful and well designed course giving any golfer challenges while still being fair enough for an average golfer.

"Dry dry dry!!!"

cmarkert's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Great course at an excellent price. Greens had unfortunately just been aerated; sandy front 9, better on back.

Very "tactical" course. Need to think on every hole, not just grab driver.

Played with a member (VERY helpful) in a little over three hours.

Obvious signs of the regional drought... fringes not up to usual high standards, rough dry, ponds empty. But a great experience despite this.

"Great Layout. Awful Greens"

emmingel's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2016

One of the better course layouts you'll find anywhere. Tee to 10 yards from the greens course was well conditioned. Some tees a little bare but nothing impacting play. Many elevated tees so course plays less than yardage. Lots of strategically placed bunkers requiring both well played tee and approach shots. Lots of variety in holes makes for an interesting round. Could do without the tree in the middle of the 17th fairway. Now to the disappointing part. Collars to greens and bunkers were spotty patches of hard dirt and scraggly rough. Was anywhere from 5 to 20 feet wide making approach shots luck of the draw. Balls bouncing left, right, long or stopping dead depending on landing. Impossible to control chip shots. Worst I've seen on any course, much less on one of this reputed quality. Greens also below standard. Pace of play unbearably slow taking 5+ hours to complete round. No course ranger. Pro Shop attributed conditions to drought earlier in summer. If that's the case full disclosure should be made so one can decide for themselves if worth the $100 standard rate. At most a $40-50 course with these conditions.

Commented on 09/28/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve course conditions and take your comments very seriously. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Beautiful Golf Course/Outstanding Staff"

dragonmeehan11's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

My fiancé and I purchased a caddy card from WXLO and Crumpin Fox was included as one of the courses to play. This course is a little bit of a ride for us so we had never played there before....we were so impressed by both the course and the staff that we bought a 2nd caddy card and played there for the 2nd time this past Sunday. Again, the course was absolutely beautiful and the staff was outstanding....both times we played someone checked on us during our round to make sure there was nothing more they could do to make our round more enjoyable...the beer cart person also came around twice both times asking us how our round was going....Even though this course is a bit out of the way we will definitely return as it has become one of our favorite golf courses!!!! We would both 100% recommend playing...Totally worth it!!!

"What a great course"

mrnicod's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played Crumpin fox late Aug. Course is great. Staff is great. Strong recommendation to play it!!

"pace of play killed the day"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2016

Went to Crumpin Fox as part of a 3 day golf trip,this being the second course of 6 we were playing.We were coming from Boston looking forward to this course because of the great experience we had last year, but it wasn't to be this year.Pace of play was terrible which made for a miserable day.There was two Extremely Slow groups two and three groups ahead of us with NO ranger anywhere to be found. I understand everyone should enjoy their round,but pace of play is one of the most important ettiquets of golf.Three groups behind us left on 14th hole because of the waiting,not what you want when paying a hefty greens fee.I still like the course,the staff is friendly,and restaurant is great,But need a ranger

Response from Crumpin Fox Club on 11/21/2016:

Hi u000006304942,
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback as it helps us locate areas of our business in which we can improve. We are saddened to know you weren’t completely satisfied with your golf round. We have noted your comments and will work hard to make improvements. We hope to see you back again soon to give us another chance and to let us exceed your expectations!

"despite the drought course in excellent shape"

dmcoff's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

from tee to green the best course I have ever played

"A real New England gem"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Two of the most important factors in rating a course is how memorable is it and was it interesting? On both accounts, Crumpin-Fox comes through with flying colors. Having just played it, I could remember every hole, and no two holes were alike. Elevated tees, water hazards, interesting greens complex and a variety of doglegs make Crumpin-Fox one of the most interesting courses in New England. Well worth the drive.

"Conditions on course wasn't as expected. loved the layout and the overall conditions of the clubhouse and restaurant."

Sarann77's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016

I have never played this course before and people in the Springfield area were raving about it and how great the course is so I was very excited to get a chance to play the course at a great deal on golfnow. With that said, I wasn't too impressed with the course conditions. The overall layout of the course was great. It really challenges your game. That part of it I truly loved. I think the starter, even though he was nice, gave us a false impression about the course. Having never played courses like pebble beach and St. Andrews, I don't think it compares to them. I've played courses like the Ranch and witonbury hills and I thought the greens were better there. That was the most disappointing aspect of the round. When the starter told us the greens were "very fast" I expected it. It wasn't fast at all. It was pretty fast. The undulations of the greens made it challenging. I loved that part of the greens. Overall, I think Crumpin Fox needs to recover a little bit more before I can compare it to the ranch and Witonbury hills or even Cold Springs for that matter. I will probably try playing it later in the year or next year to see if the course conditions are better. Or maybe up to the starter and everyone's idea of how the course truly plays before I can truly evaluate the course.

"Very very nice"

timothyduntz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Never played it before and loved it. We played it twice. We had deals on the price so my impression is based on paying less then normal. The course is very very nice. Pretty to be in nature while playing golf. Starter spaced us out in the morning so we did not wait all day. It was a little packed on the front in the afternoon but when the kids left at the turn, it opened up. Greens were very very fast but soft to the longer high shot. The fairways were wet in a lot of places but still nice. Worth playing for good players due to its quality and difficulty. There are many sets of tee so any length can play to elevated greens. Over all impression is Excellent!

"Disappointing"

Dosydos's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016

June 25, 2016

After reading such great reviews, i decided to venture out to upstate MA near VT to try out this course. The clubhouse was very nice and the staff were friendly. They had a driving range and prices were as expected. Putting green was in good condition.

On to the golf....

The only word besides infuriating i could come up with was disappointing. The course was in dreadful condition. Tee boxes were burnt out. Fairways were 65% burnt and as solid as concrete. There was standing water in random spots as well. The rough was also burnt out. Greens were worse. There were dirt patches on the greens and burnt sod on the fringe. I also felt that the course just wasn't very memorable/special. Maybe it was due to the condition of the course but the feel and look of the setup of the holes just wasn't very risk/reward. the course told you where to play and there weren't many options to be creative and really think about your shots.

I understand that it has been hot and dry for the entire month but make use of the lake/pond that is in the middle of the course and actually water your course. I went to The Ranch in Southwick the following day, and their course is in pristine condition and it costs the same as Crumpin and you get more amenities.

After the round at Crumpin i enjoyed a great meal at Zeke's (the restaurant on site). I highly suggest trying their burgers, it was fantastic.

So to summarize my feelings, i will not be returning to this course this year, as i believe the conditions are to far gone to be resurrected. Maybe in a few years i will try it again.

Commented on 08/30/2016

So I don't doubt the content of your review, but how on earth does a golfer with a 15-19 handicap rank the course difficulty as "moderate"? Anyone who ranks Crump as anything other than "extremely challenging" has zero golf credibility. Name one course that's more challenging.

Commented on 06/30/2016

I have to agree with a lot of Dosydos comments. I flew from Indiana to meet my son and play at Crumpin-Fox...had played there maybe 12 years ago. The recent heat and an issue with faulty irrigation has taken its toll.. Plus driving range was mats only..Maybe it will look better come Fall. But a very good course is clearly not what we got to play on June 24th.. Too bad.. And way overpriced as a result..

Commented on 06/30/2016

UPDATE : The issue is fixed and the problem areas are already improving. No need to wait until 2017 to experience us again. Thanks MGT

Commented on 06/29/2016

Hi "Dosydos" We apologize about your recent experience at Crumpin Fox. We have been undergoing a recent emergency irrigation system repair that has been impacting the conditions of the course. Currently it is still in repair. We would love to make it up to you if you could please reach out to us directly at marketing@golfthefox.com. We want to make sure that your experience on this specific day doesn't go unnoticed. Thanks Crumpin Fox MGT

"Top notch course"

rpruck's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Wow…..we had high expectations when we booked Crumpin Fox. Based on other reviews and the ratings along with research we arrived hoping for top notch. We were not disappointed. The entire staff was very welcoming to us. The starter/ranger was very helpful with thoughts on playing the course and then sent us on our way off of tee number one. Hole after hole demands and gets your attention. The course is beautiful and so very well maintained.

Many of the greens are slightly raised from the fairway so feel free to add a little length to approach shots. The greens will hold when hit correctly and they will roll true but that doesn’t mean they are easy. Every hole was a gem in itself and a true joy to play.

There was no issue with pace of play when we were at Crumpin Fox and it was nice to have a good pace. We did take the time to fully enjoyed this course and suggest that you do the same.

Commented on 06/27/2016

We are glad to hear that our course met your high expectations! We are constantly aiming to satisfy and provide our golfers with a wonderful day, and we are happy to hear that we have succeeded at that. Thanks for your review!

"A Safari Club Favorite!"

rrjohn68's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This track may be a little out of the way for most, but it is worth the time and effort to get there. The scenery is just breathtaking and lends itself to some very challenging holes.Now with the addition of the new Pro and staff, it will only get better! They were well organized and prepared to receive all 144 Safari Club members. It could not have gone any smoother!

Commented on 06/27/2016

We're glad to hear it! Thanks for reviewing us. We love having the Safari Club and hope all 144 members return to our course again in the future!

"A must play course."

RickM298's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes

Played the course last Wednesday (6/1) withe the Safari Club and enjoyed the course immensely. The course was in great shape and the staff is top notch. Worth a trip anytime.

Commented on 06/27/2016

We're happy you had an enjoyable time! Come back soon, Rick!

"on june 1st we played this course with the Safari Golf Organazation"

OMER2003's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This the third time i have played this course Crumpin-Fox, it's always in excellent condition

the staff is always friendly as well

I would recommend this Golf Course for everyone to play

Commented on 06/27/2016

Thanks for your review and recommendation! We hope to see you again.

"Excellent and Challenging Course"

Steve182T's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played this last Wednesday with the Safari Group. We had a perfect day and the course was in top condition. The greens were the best that we've experienced so far this year. Pace of play was slow, but it was attributable to the fact that we had a full contingent on every hole and the difficulty of the course. Staff was accommodating to all of our needs -- very courteous in every way. I highly recommend this course.

Commented on 06/27/2016

We apologize for the slow pace of play and hope this didn't cause you too much of an inconvenience. Thank you for playing with us. We do hope to see you on the course again!

"Picturesque, very well maintained, very challenging but, not unfair golf course!!"

mark6733539's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is a definitely a course which you'll play many shots differently, the 2nd time you play it , as it is a classic risk/reward golf course!

Middle handicappers, You don't want this to be your 1st round of the season, so, play a scoring friendly course or 2 before coming up to the Fox!

You won't find many other public, or semi-private courses in New England, which are as well maintained as Crumpin' Fox!

The staff is as friendly as it gets in the industry, too.

Bring your "A'-Game", plus an extra 1/2 dozen golf balls or so....and come up to Crump to enjoy the scenery, pristine conditions and golf the way it should be !! It's been a top rated course in New England for as far back as I can recall and rightfully so.

Easily one of the most consistent courses at delivering a top quality day of golf from start to finish, anywhere you go.

A must play, for low to mid-handicappers.

Commented on 06/27/2016

Thanks for reviewing us, Mark! Your feedback will be very helpful to future golfers. Hope to see you again!

"THIS WAS A GREAT GOLF COURSE TO PLAY"

OMER2003's avatar

ON JUNE 1ST 2016 I PLAYED CRUMPIN-FOX WITH OUR SAFARI GOLF ASSOCIATION

I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE DAY, THE COURSE WAS IN GREAT SHAPE THE SERVICE BY THE STAFF WAS EXCELLENT AS WELL.

LOOKING FORWARD TO PLAYING THERE AGAIN

PAUL B

Commented on 06/27/2016

We're pleased to hear it! Thanks for the review, Paul. We're looking forward to having you back!

"Nice course"

fred3378697's avatar

Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played with the Safari club, had a great day at a beautiful course. Fairways and greens in great condition. Fast greens and high degree of difficulty staying in the fairway

Commented on 06/27/2016

Thanks for reviewing us, Fred! We're happy to hear you had a great day. Hope the group comes back again in the future!