WestWynd Golf Course

Championship 72 7339 yards 76.8 144
Middle 72 7007 yards 74.4 139
Other 72 6549 yards 71.6 133
Forward 72 5238 yards 71.6 123

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes forced carries   Great for dinner patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Fantastic challenging course"

alfospsou18's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

What a great course! Greens were very fast and true. Fairways well manicured. Several holes were tricky and without course knowledge I hit into places I should not have. Just things I'll have to know next time I play here.

The clubhouse and grille are also tremendous. The only problems with this course were no driving range and a very small, hard to find, putting green. I overlook those thing because of how great the course itself was.

jgenereaux311's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

Very Nice hard course! I hit my first hole in one on hole 14!!

"slowwwwwwwwwwww play... too many tee times too close together"

u000004193289's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

Way to many tee times booked period. We teed off at 940am and at 230 pm we were on the 14 tee box.. 5 hours to play 13 holes.. we left after 13 holes and one of us called the pro shop to complain and make them aware of what we just experienced. Pro on duty sunday Aug 27th at 230 pm. He heard are frustration and his comment was ... after a giggle, was its a beautiful day, enjoy it, why in such a hurry? REALLY.. STAY AWAY UNLESS THIS IS THE ONLY COURSE AVAILABLE..

"Excellent course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

The course was in excellent shape. Greens were fast and consistent!!

"Tough course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

This is a very tough course. As a 13 handicap, tough to break 90.

Disappointed, no practice area, no water stations on course,

"Shared greens"

AlexaTrebek's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

Busy course, but very nice. One of the best in the area. The price is higher than average, but worth it. Can't wait to play again. A must try for for anyone looking for new courses to play.

"Confusing but fun"

rdkeller61's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2017

I thought the course was in great condition. I had not played there in awhile, a few years, and forgot the layout. Some of the shots are not obvious as to where to hit the tee shot or second shots. It might be pointed out somewhere but I didn't see any signs, and the scorecard wasn't much help. I lost a few balls because I hit too much club into a blind shot, or aimed right when I should have hit left. I would play there again, because it was challenging, and I think I could score pretty well.

"Extremely Hard Course for First Timer"

HZ's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017

You need to know this course to play it well. Lots of hidden hazards and blinds shots. The course is beautiful but some of the layout turned me off to it. Long Par 3's with wide but shallow greens, hidden hazards, tight pins with the green contour sloped away from the approach shot direction causing good shots to hit on the downslope and running away from the hole. For a public course, if you want players to have fun and return, the layout has to reward good shots and allow proper landing areas for layups in Par 5's. For a private course where members play and know the course it's OK, but The architect did a poor job not keeping in mind the objective of the course which is to provide players with a fun and fair experience. That said, if I knew the course better my rating may go up.

The course overall was in good conditions especially the greens which is key for me.

bonobo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Love this difficult course. Unfortunately, for the prices they charge I would expect their bunker sand to be pristine, it is not, very rocky. I can hit out of this lousy sand at any muni course in the area.

"Fantastic"

Jamie8003867's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

Played through some rain...heavy rain/storms the night before. Course was in great condition, greens were quick. No staff out @ the turn, but there were only a few groups on the course. Tough layout.

"Not for the faint of heart"

kwmkalls's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

Westwynd is a beautifully conditioned, gorgeous layout. It is also the toughest golf course I have ever played. The closer you get to the hole, the harder the course gets. The greens are guarded by lots of sand and grass bunkers. For the most part, they are quite elevated. You won't be chipping much. If you miss the green, you'll be pitching the next shot most of the time out of lush green-side rough, or blasting out of the sand. Once on the greens, you'll find them to be super-fast and true, but a real puzzle to figure out exactly where to aim your putt and how hard to stroke it, as they have lots of slopes flowing naturally from the rims of the green side bunkers, and many of the greens are cut into hillsides and have a natural downhill break that is very hard to spot. Expect at least one four-putt green during your round.

The course is very hilly, and flat lies in spots other than the tee boxes are to be treasured. Some of the holes have spectacular elevation changes and are very scenic.

We played the white tees after looking at the scorecard on the first tee and seeing the length listed at about 6,250 yards, which is in the ballpark as to what we seniors typically play. That was a mistake. There are so many holes guarded by streams and marshland immediately in front of the greens that about half of the holes required layup shots and were impossible to reach in regulation, which automatically added about 9 shots to our average scores, right off the bat. I've played 6,800 yard tracks that played shorter than the Whites at WestWynd. Next time we play there, we are go to tee it forward, which should allow for us old guys who struggle to hit 200 yard drives and 180 yard fairway woods a fair chance to approach these fortress greens with at most a mid-iron. Being able to approach the greens the way the course architect intended is almost essential if you want to really enjoy a round here. Chances are you'll still post your high score for this season even if you teed off from the most forward set of tees on a mild and windless day.

If you are a scratch golfer who hits it 300+ off the tee, you'll find yourself in paradise, but probably end up scratching your head a bit.

"Lots of challenging blind shots ."

hackersupreme's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

Beware of unseen trouble .

Greens are seriously unforgiving .

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

"Ok golfing for the time of year"

Adam5549199's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2016

I get the first ask the guy in the pro shop if I could get out early,he grunts at me and says no. Mind you he's yet to say a word to me,and his hat was on sideways. Tells me to go sit and wait.....I was the first person there. The course should have been closed for the year,no tee markers,fairways were just punched,and the greens were punched and about a week ago. The layout is ok. I'd love to try it mid summer. Better places to play

"Leaves"

1mcduff's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Verified Purchaser

Have played this course before and loved it! This time it was late in the season and lost a few balls on the fairway and just off it because of leaves. Three of the greens we couldn't even put because it was covered in them. I'd advise playing the course but not this late in the season. It is the only course I've played this fall that it was a big issue.

"Hard as nails but very scenic"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2016

It's a real Golf course club selection is the difference between haven fun or Avery long day. Each tee box has a character of its own you can either step up or run the risk of losing balls though out the round. Each time I play this course I try to find a way to bet the designer layout. So much effort has to go into this course in order to shoot under par I really wonder how a golf pro would handle it.

"This course has excellent, but stuff is not good"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016
First time playing Used cart Excellent weather

Our party was complained by the stuff 3 times " your play is so late" even if our playing time was less than 4 hours for 18 hole.

We are not happy and didn't play golf.

"Greens?"

golfcolo's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Played here twice this year and it seems layout is always changing. It is a tough track and I suggest if you are a recreational golfer play the green tees or you will be in for a lot of aggravation. Recommend you also bring water and snacks because the turn house is closed.As for the greens,Some are in need of help and others are just down right challenging. Paired up with three hackers that made for a long day.Marshal tried to move us along. Also dress code a little relaxed. One guy had holey jeans and a rugby shirt. Really!

"great conditions"

uRSRM6815RS's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

cant fault the course conditions, they were fantastic. The layout is a little too tricked up. At least half the holes have a carry involved. If you don't have GPS, don't play this course.

Course Layout: Poor

"Failed to crack my top 5 in the area and it's the most expensive"

CaseynKevin's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I had high expectations going into yesterdays round because Westwynd has consistently been the most expensive tee time to book the entire year. Unfortunately, my brother and I were disappointed in the way the course looked, felt and played. Westwynd lacked the beauty I was expecting to see at a course that holds itself with such a high standard. It was not manicured very well and was severely hacked up in too many spots to count. The greens were slow and beat up, the starter was hawking every 2 holes even though we were about the only ones on the course. There was no water at any of the holes, no cart person either. I did enjoy the difficult layout of course despite a gimmicky hole or 2. The sand traps were well groomed. Overall I think there are much better courses in the area for a much better price.