Fox Hills Golf Center - Golden Fox Course

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

"Great Conditions, Interesting Layout"

Criley4way's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Played with new friends in a new state. I am new to Michigan golf but I found the Golden Fox a great course for a fair rate. Checking in was easy and the pro-shop staff was friendly and helpful. They didn't provide much insight on the course and didn't have a yardage book that I would have expected at a course of this quality.

The putting great was large and well maintained. They allow chipping which is always a plus. The range was large and long with plenty of targets at all distances. The balls were of good quality.

Getting out on the course was a bit of mess as they had a tournament so they sent us off the back. As we got ready to tee off the starter rushed us off insisting that we were lagging behind even though we were teeing off 15 min late.

Once on the course the GPS was good and after getting used to it very helpful.

The tees were lush, flat and well maintained. Even the par 3s had good coverage and only mild divot damage. The fairways were lush and well maintained. They were tightly mowed but not thin. With some moisture there wasn't a lot of run on the ball and some dirt or mud. The carts didn't have good fill bottles and so there were quite a few unfilled divots. The rough wasn't very high which actually made the course tougher for long hitters as the ball would run into the natural areas and high grasses.

The greens were excellent. They were soft and receptive but quick with lots of undulations. I particularly liked some of the chipping areas and well maintained fringes.

"Nice Course Fairly Wide Open"

dougtrudell's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

First time playing Golden Fox. Enjoyed the course. Some room off the tee on most holes. 4th hole is severe dog leg right. Definitely want to aim at black and white marker in fairway which is only about 165 yards from white tees. Easy to get blocked out right and plays long if you bail left.

"Golden fox"

HoleinOne1948's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Excellent round of golf. Course is challenging but very do able for all levels of play

"Great course and great shape."

Pashko5846314's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2016

Played as a single and only had to wait on a few holes. People please fix your ball marks. I was fixing many ball marks On the green as I had time since playing as a single. The twosome behind me finally caught up with me and I asked if they wished to join me, they declined. The group in front of me was taking the game way to serious. On one hole they teed off and I see one coming back to the tee box!! He said his ball went OB and had to re-tee !!! Are you kidding me!!! Just take a drop and keep the round moving!!!

"after league"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I played after big golf league event.

so, green was quite unstable.

muddy after rain.

but usually very good playing before.

"Fox Hills Golden Fox"

byrral's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

First time playing the course. The course was challenging and in good condition. Need to keep it in the fairways or you will find plenty of trouble. The bunkers were in nice condition and the greens were decent and quick. I played in the afternoon and the rate was good for a course of this quality. The GPS system in the cart is very nice.

The cons: Several blind shot holes and out of bounds areas that punish golfers with returns to the tee box instead of lateral hazard drop areas. First time players need to be aware of these areas. The concessions were slow, don't have coolers for your refreshments (shopping bags that leak), and a little pricey.

Overall it's a recommended place to play. If I play the course again I'll be more prepared for those trouble areas.

"Great Sunday round of golf"

ediciek's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I was really pleased with how the starters took care of us and had us tee off on No. 10. There were a couple of slow groups on the front and they made us feel like a priority by getting us off the back, so we would be able to enjoy our round! The greens were in great shape, the fairways were awesome, and I only visited the OB once, so all in all it was a great day. We were a twosome and played our round without any delays! It was my buddies first time playing and he was extremely satisfied with the course and the amenities! We will definitely be back!

"Bad attitudes"

Justin7806888's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2016

Let me be clear, I did not play this course. We arrived 40min prior to our tee time, there was some rain approaching and we were told that once we paid we would NOT get a rain check. I have played golf all around the country, for well over 10yrs and I have never heard of no rain checks, with the exception of special events which this was not. We were told because it was a twilight tee time (3:44pm) that they didn't offer rain checks because of the discounted price. Ok. Couple options they could offer... Give me a rain check for the price I paid or give me a twilight rain check only. Not only was that an issue but the guy at the desk was unbelievably rude and could have cared less if we played there or not. Last time I checked this wasn't a country club. That aside, with golf looking to get younger people into the game why would a highly touted course be so rude. My group decided maybe we should just play nine because of the rain approaching (about 2hrs away). The wonderful gentlemen at the desk said "we don't do that here, you pay full price for 9 or 18. Huh.... Last time I checked money was money, then again maybe they are not affected by the massive amount of courses closing each year. Very poor customer service.

"Fantastic Fall Experience"

James6589410's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2015

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I've played a handful of the top 25 courses in the country and consequently, I've had the pleasure of experiencing a spectrum of course designers and some of their best work. As a result, I think I've earned a bit of credibility along the way.

First the pros:<br/> Arrival to the course was cool and laid back, there was plenty of help if we needed it and they knew enough to sense we were pretty self sufficient.

The facility, restrooms, and grill were clean comfortable, nicely appointed, and the staff were professional. Guys in the Pro shop were efficient and accomodating and the starter was very tuned in and attentive to our needs (we were concerned about rain predicted several hours later) and he got us out on the back 9 first to expedite our round, which thrilled us. The carts were brand new with GPS and fast! Nothing worse than a slow cart!<br/> The practice facilities, although I didn't have time to use them, were very appealing as well.<br/> The course itself, to my pleasant surprise, is an Arthur Hills design which usually connotes, with no exception in this case, a roomy feel off the tees and and increasing degree of difficulty as one approaches the greens. I played the blue (men's) tees at about 6500 yards and it looked like the course maxed out at about 6900 yards, so it wasn't overly long, and my 81 year old father played the yellow (presumably senior) tees at about 5100 yards which eliminated all but a couple forced carries. Arthur Hills seems to subscribe to the philosophy that "luck favors the aggressor" as nearly every tee shot offers a straight-away (safe) route And a more assertive path for the intrepid. This also pleases me because as a low double digit handicapper I can't always be certain to "thread the needle" on any given day. This course will often allow you to scramble your way to a respectable outcome and nearly always offers a safe side of the green to miss, although this often makes for a harder pitch.<br/> The wonderful variety of holes never left my concentration waning and I was never underwhelmed. The course was reasonably sloped and fair. The green complexes offered a stout test and equal variety. The designer keeps changing his mind from greens well protected by beautiful traps to equally vexing large rolling mounds as fortification.<br/> I found the beauty of the property also exceeded my expectations and, had there been an intermediate cut of rough, the grooming would have had me thinking I was playing a private caliber club. Oh, and before I forget, I can't say enough about the bunkers, which were exquisitely groomed, with excellent sand, and with their peripheries hand raked to perfection! The green surfaces were challenging without being Mickey Mouse and, had they not been plugged and sanded recently, appeared to be kept in great shape with virtually zero unrepaired pitchmarks.

The Cons:<br/> The GPS system disables the carts when they approach restricted areas, sometimes 30-50 yards away from the greens etc., with no warning or demarcation and the only remedy is to reverse the cart and CRAWL backward up till the cart reactivates.<br/> Having more than a passing relationship with golf etiquette I found this annoying and infuriating as the cart would die when I was clearly nowhere near a green, an apron, a bunker, or any other sensitive area.<br/> Far too many wooded hazards where one is unnecessarily double penalized with out-of-bounds stakes. I interpreted this as a band aid remedy and deterrent to ball hunting induced slow play, and was very tempted to ignore them altogether as they were an unduly penal stop gap and couldn't possibly proximate the architect's intentions.<br/> And lastly, and most courses are guilty of this one; Failing to post or verbalize conditions of aeration. This is a hack move and any course that doesn't offer this information or some concession in price pays for it in loss of good will. I really didn't expect aeration as most courses had completed this weeks earlier. Had I not received such an unbelievable deal I may have thought twice about playing.

I was able to play this course on a hot deal from Golf Now and I was more than pleasantly surprised as $25 was an absolute steal! I don't even know what the full fare Is but, assuming the greens aren't torn up, I would pay upwards of $60 to play this track. (Assuming, of course, that it's not a death march in mid season. Very few courses are worth playing in longer than 4 hours.)

I always thought of Fox Hills as a League Factory and as having courses commensurate with that philosophy, how happily wrong I was with The Golden Fox!

"Great Track"

paulbanigan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

First time playing here. It is challenging the first time at any course but here you need local knowledge to help guide you. On a few holes you really need to know, not only where to hit it, but where to miss as well.

Missing the green even a little on some holes penalizes you with some moguls surrounding the green.

Fun time.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Good course, but Bad manner players"

ynmmnishida's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2015

Payed 2 sum with my wife, but following 2 sum who had around 12:30 tee time on7/3, are always pushing us and sometimes hitting ball to us who are still playing. Wanted to enjoy, but they broke it.

"pricey but worth it"

homer223's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Love Golden Fox. It's a challenging, beautiful course. Very well maintained, interesting holes. Staff is very friendly. If you can find a deal, do it. If you can't but are looking for an occasional splurge, I think this is worth it.

"great value"

Jaybird0619's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The pace of play was a little slow but this may be do to a golf outing that appeared to be a mix of golfers and nongolfers, the course looks like a few of the greens may have gotten a little winter kill and haven't fully recoverd yet, over all a good course and I'll be back.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Wouldn't recommend it"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2014

It took 15 minutes for the starter to rudely explain all 73 rules about the GPS and where the carts can and can't go. Not a good way to start the round. The course was very average. Needless to say, we won't be returning.

"Despite the weather..."

pauld2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

it was a good day. Course was pretty empty, which was nice. Played in a two some with one two some in front of us and a four some in front of them. Never waited a second on a shot. Course was in good shape, did have to fix two more ball marks for my own one.

"Very good, Well maintenance"

Byounggil's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/8/2013

Very good, Well maintenance.<br/> But at that time, front nine hole was being repaired.

"Started aeration 10/8/2013"

hunter2020's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2013

We looped the back nine twice. Nice shape. Quick pace of play. Great value for the money. Nice people. Will play it again

"Good layout, very well maintained, one of the best in the area"

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/2/2013

Very nice course, challenging but fun to play, in great shape. If you can play for around $30 it is the best value around.

"Course has difficult approach shots and nice fairways"

John1184178's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/29/2013

It was quite a deal to play on twilight rates on this awesome course. The only thing keeping it from 5 stars is the bar or concession stand was closing at 3pm on a Sunday. No way to buy a beverage or snack.

"Very good layout, great carts w/GPS, staff was very nice and helpful"

JuiceRickard's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/21/2013

Had not played the course in a few years, but was quickly reminded of how much I like the layout and challenge. Plenty of tee markers to satisfy all levels, well-maintained greens and fairways.