Quail Creek Golf Course

• 6022 Wells Rd, Saint Louis, Missouri 63128, Saint Louis County
  • (314) 487-1988
  • www.quailcreekgolfclub.com

Year built: 1985
Architect(s): Hale Irwin (1985), Gary Kern (1985)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 2.5 stars from 5

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include bunkers narrow fairways water hazards   Great for drinks

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

The course still needs a lot of work. It's going in the right direction though.

Response from Quail Creek on 03/06/2017:

Thanks for your feedback. Please come back and play again soon!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

Response from Quail Creek on 02/21/2017:

Thanks for leaving your feedback with us. We hope to see you back at the course soon!

"Over priced for February and conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017

Quail Creek is as good of a laid out course in the Saint Louis area I have found. I am glad to see that they are cutting trees and making an effort to improve the course this winter. With the huge dead spots on nearly every green and the poor shape the tees are in, they have their work cut out for them. Hopefully Quail becomes more competitive in price and quality of course soon. This course has enormous potential and I hope their efforts to fix it go well.

Response from Quail Creek on 02/21/2017:

Thanks for your feedback. We're always striving to improve our course conditions and your review helps us do so. Thanks for playing and we hope to see you back soon!

"Bad"

tsmjason's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Haven't played there in several years even those it is the closest course to my home.(7 miles) Remember why, cart path only,(little rain in 2 weeks) the greens were horrible(had a mild weather). The only improvement I noted was the staff was friendly, they once had nothing but grumpy old men and I'm 68.

Response from Quail Creek on 02/10/2017:

We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience during your recent visit. We are always working to improve the experience for our golfers and we appreciate your feedback. We hope you'll give us another shot soon!

"Still lost for a direction"

elam1020's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes

I have been writing bad reviews on this course for some time now due to the available resources it has, and the unbelievable choices it makes in doing anything that would possibly really make an improvement. So let me begin, the course continues to fall into disrepair in its 5th or 6th year with this new group, it looked positive for a while but in the last 3-4 years has nose dived as the worst of what could be the best. The lack of effort to turn the course around is evident, and obvious. After having this amount of time with a super, you should figure out how to grow grass and get rid of weeds. The course has been with out a full putting green for at least 3 years and the one they started three years ago is still not even half way finished. Could it be the weather, bad seed, too much sun? No, lets just chalk it up to mis-management and ignorance. At this point I can only hope St. Louis county has a short term lease so someone with some knowledge of basics standards of the business steps in and turns the ship around. You see the responses from the course about thanks for you response, and try us again, but that is the same stuff they said two years ago and last year. The county needs to look at the product they are giving the residents and not be such a hands off entity, they could change the whole thing if they really wanted to. Think I need to start writing the parks and county to see some changes that really need to happen.

"Greens are in terrible shape"

Baileytova's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2016

Very nice layout could be a great course but greens are absolutely unplayable. Of all the courses we've played over the years never seen this many greens in such poor condition.

Response from Quail Creek on 11/28/2016:

We're sorry your round wasn't up to par. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

"After the Deluge"

mriemer01's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was a little soggy since it had rained 3" the night before so played really long. The Bermuda is not my favorite playing surface, but it has grown in pretty well. I imagine it will be brown shortly. Over all I enjoyed my round.

Response from Quail Creek on 11/07/2016:

Thanks for your review! We're happy that you had a great round despite some wet conditions. Please come back and see us again soon!

"The course was in good shape and fair for all golfers"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2016

I would definitely recommend this course to a friend. Well worth 30$ on golf now! Will be back soon

"Almost FUBAR"

uMDYZ5260MD's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016

I grew up playing this course in high school and college. It was always in great condition then. Fast forward to today. And before I begin, the staff is doing a great job on customer service, but they are trying to squeeze every golfer out there possible at the detriment to pace and course quality.

Fairways are long, slow, and lots of crabgrass is invading.

Greens - never before have I had to adjust my speed based on how much grass vs. dirt is in my line. Huge spots of dirt, barely any areas of good solid green bigger than a 6 foot diameter. Just very, very bad.

Quail Creek - make an investment. Stop piling people out there adding traffic. Keep the traffic down. Don't let people play music loudly. It's becoming a complete dump out there. Seriously.

We paid 27 each and I feel it was at least 7 dollars too much.

Commented on 09/28/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback. We're sorry that you didn't have the best experience and that you felt like you overpaid for what you got. We're working hard on getting our course back to optimal standards and your input helps us. Thanks for playing and we hope to see you again soon!

"Quail Creek 9-14-16"

Bobp1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Fairways and tees were in great shape for the most part, but about half the greens had some large bad spots and a couple of the "sand" traps were really just raked dirt

Commented on 09/28/2016

Thanks for your review! Happy that you had a good time! Come back and play again soon!

"If not for the greens!"

tomkrapu's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2016

Great course. A few long par 4s.

Many of the greens are in horrible condition.

Fairways were nice.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for playing! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the fairways. Please come back and play again soon!

"This was once a great course"

cart3903's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Quail creek was at one time a top notch golf course here in St Louis. The layout is still interesting and a challenge. Unfortunately, the overall condition of the course is pretty bad. I didn't find issues with the tee boxes or the fairways but the greens and bunkers are atrocious. The greens range from barely fair to bad. Way too many large blotches of dead grass and dead areas. It's tough to get a ball to run even close to true. They need to gut them and start from scratch.

The bunkers aren't much more than silt laden river sand that gets hard when it dries out. Your ball never nestles into the sand but sits up on top. Then it becomes a game of chance with your bunker shot. The club either manages to dig in and take some sand or it bounces off and you skull the ball across the green. The bunkers need to be gutted as well and redone.

Lots of potential here. A great Hale Irwin design that keeps you interested. One can only hope they can turn this one around.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for playing! We appreciate your feedback and will be taking your comments into consideration moving forward. Please come back and play again soon!

"Awful"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016

This course gets worse every year. The greens are absolutely terrible. Bunkers have weeds growing out of them and it is dirt not sand. It seems like no one is doing anything to maintain it. If you like putting over mud then an occasional weed in your line waste your money here. Shame on me for being fooled twice hearing it got better. The front door to get in doesn't even work.

Commented on 09/08/2016

We're sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. Please come back and give us another chance! Thanks for playing.

"Why so bad"

biggeno's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2016

Greens and sand bunkers where un usable I'm not going back!

Commented on 09/08/2016

We're sorry that we didn't meet expectations. We hope you'll give us another shot!

"Makeover"

knaup's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2016

My understanding is that the previous owner/manager let the course deteriorate to its present state. Greens are splotchy, supposedly several grass varieties were mixed in, and are presently being brought back to one. Fairways are several types of grass. The potential is there, just don't know how long it will take to turn it around. In their favor all the rain hasn't helped. Back 9 better than front 9.

Commented on 09/08/2016

Thanks for your feedback. We're working hard to get our conditions back to up to par and we appreciate you bringing these details to light. We are looking into your concerns. Thanks for playing and please come back and play again soon!

"Poor greens"

emtjoey09's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016

The staff was very friendly. Guess they need to be with the condition of the course. Most tee boxes are mud. All the greens are dirt and just poor. Was a good thing it was only 22 to play 18. I'll never go back for any other price. Poor golf course. 4some in front of us had music blaring. The marshal didn't care. Slow play. Again. Just a poor 18 rounds. Maybe others were better. But mine sucked.

Commented on 09/08/2016

We're sorry to hear that we didn't meet expectations. We're working hard to get our conditions back to standards we would normally expect this time of year. Please give us another shot and play again soon!

"Tough Test - Friendly Staff"

Janice5594304's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2016

Beautiful location. Friendly, accommodating staff. I enjoyed the experience.

Janice5594304,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback and for the great 4 star review of the course! We are so pleased that your time here was enjoyable and hope that you can come back again for another round soon!

Until then, all the very best!

Sincerely,

"Not worth the money"

trevorneale's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The bare bones are there but the course has fallen on hard times. The weeds growing in the bunkers, the large dead areas on the greens, and the patchy fairways make this decent course hardly worth the $28 each our group paid to play.

The staff was courteous and kind but there is only so much they can do with the condition of the course being what it is. Not sure I would go back...

trevorneale,

First, we would like to thank you for playing with us and taking the time to send your opinion of the course. We would also like to apologize for the conditions of the course and are saddened to hear that your time with us was anything but the most pleasant experience possible! We are always striving to become better and appreciate your honesty in this review. We can assure you that we are working toward improving the conditions and overall experience provided to our golfers! Our sincere hope is that you will come back again for another round so that we can provide you with a much more enjoyable day of golf with us!

Sincerely,

Quail Creek GC Mgmt

"Terrible conditions, awesome layout."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2016

Greens are a bit above average. Tees are below average. Bunkers are unplayable. Fairways and rough are average. Would be one of the best courses in St. Louis if the conditions were better.

u000006503776,

Thank you for playing with us and for taking the time out of your schedule to send us your feedback of your time with us. We value your opinion and promise you that we are always working towards improving the course conditions and our golfers overall experience with us! We hope that you will come back again to take advantage of the changes that we are constantly making.

Best wishes,