FORT WORTH, Texas -- Colonial Country Club, which was designed by John Bredemus of Texas and Perry Maxwell of Oklahoma, has been the site of the Crowne Plaza Colonial Invitational on the PGA Tour since 1946.
Also known as "Hogan's Alley," because the legendary Ben Hogan won there five times, the course is steeped in tradition and history. It was founded by in 1936 by Marvin Leonard, who brought bentgrass greens to his hometown of Fort Worth and landed the U.S. Open in 1941 (won by Craig Wood).
Over the years, the Colonial Invitational became one of the favorite stops on the PGA Tour. In addition to the U.S. Open, the course, which was renovated by Keith Foster in 2008, also hosted the Tournament Players Championship in 1975 and U.S. Women's Open in 1991.