From the courses along the Atlantic coast to metro Atlanta-area favorites, GolfAdvisor raters had a busy year on the many golf courses in Georgia.
More than 4,000 reviews were submitted within the state, and 93 courses received the minimum 20 reviews needed in 2014 to be eligible for our first yearly ranking.
Unlike most of the big magazine rankings, Golf Advisor ratings can be submitted by anyone with a user account, no matter how low or high their handicap or how often they play. Often, reviewers are basing their rating on the dollar amount they paid to play that specific round. So these rankings tend to lean more toward how a course met or exceeded a golfer's expectations as a customer rather than simply a course's design, history or potential.
Coming out on top in our inaugural ranking in the state was the King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort in St. Simons Island. The course was added to the historic resort in 1989 on the site of a former antebellum plantation.
"Lots of majestic oaks dripping with moss and the water holes are breathtaking," 2karenC wrote. "We usually see a gator or two and today was no exception. The greens are fast and fairways forgiving. We all had a great time, as usual!"
Augusta National, of course, seems to get most of the press around the Peach State golf scene, so we're pleased to announce the top 15 courses -- all available to the public -- you can play in Georgia.
Top 15 Golf Courses in Georgia for 2014
1. King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort, St. Simons Island
2. Achasta Golf Club, Dahlonega
3. The Georgia Club, Statham
4. The Club At Savannah Harbor, Savannah
5. Brasstown Valley Resort, Young Harris
6. Oak Mountain Championship Golf Club, Carrollton
7. Stonebridge Golf Club, Rome
8. Canyon Ridge Golf Club, Rising Fawn
9. Indian Mound Course at Jekyll Island Golf Club, Jekyll Island
10. Crosswinds Golf Club, Savannah
11. Cherokee Run Golf Club, Conyers
12. SummerGrove Golf Club, Newnan
13. Fields Ferry Golf Club, Calhoun
14. Butternut Creek Golf Course, Blairsville
15. Orchard Golf & Country Club, Clarkesville