Texas is one great big state. From west Texas to the Gulf of Mexico, a tremendous variety of terrain yields a vast array of golf courses.
So unsurprisingly, Golf Advisor's Top 20 Courses in Texas in 2014 features an eclectic mix: affordable and scenic courses in the Central Texas Hill Country, a handful of coastal courses south of Houston and some top resort courses to boot.
Perhaps most surprising is the north Texas town of Lubbock earned the no. 1 spot. The Tom Doak-designed and Troon Golf-managed Rawls Course at Texas Tech, built as the home course for college golf teams, edged out the Palmer Course at the Westin La Cantera in San Antonio.
It's not exactly on the beaten path of tourist stops in the state, but the Rawls Course has the pedigree of a top championship facility in a state chock full of them. Should you find yourself in the neighborhood, book a tee time and bring your A-game.
Here is the full top 20 as rated by GolfAdvisor raters, and you can view more rankings on our Best Of page.
The Top 20 Golf Courses in Texas
The Rawls Course at Texas Tech
2. The Palmer Course at La Cantera Hill Country Resort , San Antonio
3. The Links At Land's End , Yantis
4. Wilderness Golf Course , Lake Jackson
5. Palmilla Beach Golf Club , Port Aransas
6. Moody Gardens , Galveston
7. Delaware Springs Golf Course , Burnet
8. Vaaler Creek Golf Club , Blanco
9. The Resort Course at La Cantera Hill Country Resort , San Antonio
10. The Club at Concan , Concan
11. Sugar Tree Golf & Country Club , Lipan
12. Texas Star Golf Course , Euless
13. Old Course at The Tribute Golf Club , The Colony
14. Tierra Verde Golf Club , Arlington
15. Avery Ranch Golf Club , Austin
16. Canyon West Golf Club , Weatherford
17. Lakes Course at Wildcat Golf Club , Houston
18. Wolfdancer Golf Club , Lost Pines
29. The Bridges at Preston Crossing , Gunter
20. Lighthouse Country Club , Kingsland
What are your favorite courses in Texas? Find them in our course guide and rate it yourself or let us know in the comments below.