Most golf trips can be planned for with the normal range of supplies, but those who have been to Sweetens Cove can attest that traveling to play there is a unique golf experience that can be enhanced by bringing some rarely required items along for the journey. If you are going to Sweetens Cove you likely know about the legendary minimalist amenities on site, but you may not be aware of how that will shape your day there. With no clubhouse, restaurant, locker rooms or other golf trip norms it’s important to know what items you may need when heading to Sweetens Cove. Based on my multiple trips to South Pittsburg for play on my favorite course I’ve compiled my top ten items you should pack for a day at Sweetens Cove. The best way to think of it all is to treat your day at Sweetens like it’s a tailgate for a football game.
1. Folding chair — A nice place to sit while recounting your round is usually a given, but at Sweetens you should always pack some tailgate chairs so you can have a great seat for relaxing before, during, and after your trips around the course. The view from the top of the hill is superb and you may as well take a seat to soak it up from.
2. Mosquito spray — Sweetens Cove is a golf wonderland set in a rural mountain valley of central Tennessee. The ambiance is amazing, but the setting comes with some pterodactyl-sized mosquitoes! Be sure to load up on some good bug spray so that these mountain menaces don’t distract you from one of America’s best golf experiences.
3. Ice chest — Golf always pairs well with a cold, refreshing beverage. The boys in the shed have limited options available, but it’s always smart to pack your favorite thirst quenchers, whether it’s Gatorade or a craft beer. Sweetens is the epitome of B.Y.O.B.
4. Snacks — No Sweetens tailgate would be complete with out some tasty bites for your tour around golf junkie paradise. Pack a good lunch or even just some killer beef jerky or boiled peanuts to pair with your rounds.
5. Walking bag — Carts are available at Sweetens Cove but in limited quantities. The course is best enjoyed walking anyway. Make sure you travel with your go-to walking bag so you can stretch your legs while enjoying the course.
6. Extra socks — Walking Sweetens is a serious treat and if you go you’ll probably want to play all day. Throw in some extra socks to keep your feet dry and warm for the walks!
7. Persimmons — Sweetens Cove is not a long golf course. In fact, it’s the perfect place to play with some old-school persimmon woods. The course’s unforgettable design is packed with strategic shot choices, so why not test your skills with some serious lumber?
8. Layers — The weather in South Pittsburg is awesome, but it can also yield some big swings in temperature and precipitation. Make certain you bring multiple layers so you can stay comfortable throughout the day.
9. Battery power — Sweetens Cove was made for social media-savvy golfers. You will want to take lots of pictures and videos to share with the world, but bragging online about being in golf nirvana can really drain a battery. Load a few battery packs so that you can keep the phone or other devices charged all day.
10. Speaker box — Sweetens Cove is super laid-back and highly informal. Music is a great way to add some fun to your round, but some courses won’t go for that. At Sweetens Cove, feel free to turn up the tunes and rock out while you play.
Additional items that can enhance your day include toilet paper, towels, a tailgate tent, and even a generator as the course is RV friendly!
Every golfer should treat themselves to a trip to play at Sweetens Cove. There truly is nothing else like it in American golf. Make your plans and pack accordingly!
One of my favorite people in golf is @kingcollinsgolf . What he has built with @sweetenscovegolfclub is one of the most truly special places in the game. A gathering place for friends and family, die hards and newbys, locals and travelers, pundits and purveyors. #TheRinger pic.twitter.com/cf4Z4p6dHO— Jay Revell (@JayRevell) October 21, 2018