The Kentucky sports scene is largely dominated by college hoops and the Kentucky Derby, as well as one of the PGA of America's most prized tournament venues: Valhalla Golf Club.
At Golf Advisor, we're less concerned with where state dignitaries such as Rick Pitino, John Calipari and Ashley Judd play their golf, and more interested in where the top public courses can be found, from the metro Louisville area to Lexington and throughout the rural landscape.
Coming in first in 2014, as rated by Golf Advisor golfers themselves, is Gibson Bay Golf Course, located just south of Lexington. It also led the state ratings in the "value" category.
"This course has one of the best layouts in the area," wrote lexhokie of the Michael Hurdzan design. "The terrain is hilly and scenic with creeks and lakes."
You can view the full Top 10 for 2014 below. Some metro Louisville courses are located on the Indiana side of the Ohio River and made Indiana's top golf courses in 2014 .
Top 10 golf courses in Kentucky in 2014
Gibson Bay Golf Course
, Richmond (Led state in value category.)
2. StoneCrest Golf Course , Prestonburg
3. Heritage Hill Golf Club , Shepherdsville
4. Marriott's Griffin Gate Golf Club , Lexington (Led state in course conditions in 2014.)
5. Persimmon Ridge Golf Club , Louisville
6. Houston Oaks Golf Course , Paris
7. A.J. Jolly Golf Course , Alexandria
8. General Burnside State Park , Burnside (Led state in Staff Friendliness category.)
9. Mineral Mound Golf Course , Eddyville (Led state in pace of play category.)
10. Dale Hollow Lake Golf Course , Burkesville
(EDITOR'S NOTE: Courses needed a minimum of 20 reviews in 2014 to qualify.)