As part of Junior Golf Week on Golf Channel's "Morning Drive," Matt Ginella showcases 10 of his favorite short courses in the U.S.
Golf doesn't have a firm definition of "short course," other than when you're on a short course, you know it's a short course.
Generally speaking, they are more casual courses that are less than 6,000 yards and don't take as long to play. The U.S. is filled with memorable short courses, from classics nine-holers like Winter Park Country Club and Northwood Golf Club , to modern par-3 courses like Top of the Rock and Threetops .
Whether they are strictly par-3 courses or have some longer holes too, short courses are ideal for juniors, beginners, couples, families and fun. I think the development of more short courses is critical to the health and growth of the golf in America.
Here are my 10 favorite short courses you can play in the U.S. Many of these can be played for under $30, while the top three are more premium, resort golf experiences.
Video: Ginella's top 10 short courses
10. Peter Hay Par 3 at Pebble Beach Resort , Pebble Beach, Calif.
9. Spring Creek at Hershey Country Club , Hershey, Pa.
8. Goat Hill Park , Oceanside, Calif.
7. Northwood Golf Club , Monte Rio, Calif.
6. The Cradle at Pinehurst , Pinehurst, N.C.
5. Winter Park Country Club , Winter Park, Fla.
4. Threetops at Treetops Resort , Gaylord, Mich.
3. Palm Beach Par 3 , West Palm Beach, Fla.
2. Top of the Rock , Hollister, Mo.
1. Bandon Preserve at Bandon Dunes Resort , Bandon, Ore.
In the comments below, be sure to share your favorite short-course experiences that can be enjoyed by the whole family.