The third quarter of 2015 includes the peak months of summertime -- in other words: Prime golf season. The top-rated course on Golf Advisor over this span is Scotch Hall Preserve, an Arnold Palmer design set amid the Inner Banks of North Carolina.
It's a lesser known course compared to the state's most prolific properties, like those around the Village of Pinehurst, and in the Outer Banks.
But Scotch Hall Preserve, which opened in 2009, quietly racks up nothing but five-star reviews (32 to date). The layout provides saltwater scenery thanks to its location on the Albemarle Sound.
"Drove two hours from the Outer Banks area & wasn't disappointed," Mitch8203763 wrote in her Aug. 29 review of Scotch Hall Preserve. "This course was spectacular. The greens fees was even more a surprise for such a high quality course."
The Q3 top 10 features two courses each from Michigan and Ontario, Canada.
Top 10 courses of Q3 2015
1. Scotch Hall Preserve, Merry Hill, N.C.
2. Sun Mountain Course at Las Vegas Paiute Golf Resort, Las Vegas
3. Yocha Dehe at Cache Creek, Brooks, Calif.
4. Pole Creek Golf Club, Tabernash, Colo.
5. Niagara Frontier Country Club, Youngstown, Ontario
6. Wolfdancer Golf Club, Lost Pines, Texas
7. Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, Ojai, Calif.
8. Little Traverse Bay Golf Club, Harbor Springs, Mich.
9. Bedford Valley Country Club, Battle Creek, Mich.
10. Whitetail Golf Club, Eganville, Ontario
Most active courses of Q3 2015
1. The Architects Golf Club, Phillipsburg, N.J.
2. Dove Valley Ranch, Cave Creek, Ariz.
3. Brandywine Country Club, Wilmington, Del.
4. Whirlpool Golf Course, Niagara Falls, Ontario
5. Old Corkscrew Golf Club, Estero, Fla.
6. Lionhead Golf & Country Club - The Legends Course, Brampton, Ontario
7. Mission Hills, Northbrook, Ill.
8. Colorado National Golf Club, Erie, Colo.
9. ChampionsGate Country Club, ChampionsGate, Fla.
10. Mattawang Golf Club, Belle Mead, N.J.