Type Municipal
Gillespie Golf Course

Year Built 1941
Architect Perry Maxwell (1941)

Clubs No

Dress code Shirts required.

Snacks

Clubhouse

Best Value in GSO

They’re really putting in a lot of effort to make this course as good as it can be. The fairways are in good shape, and the greens are rehabbing nicely. I just wish other golfers would fix their divots and ball marks, it’ll keep getting better. And for a $9 twilight walking greens fee; you can’t beat this course fir value. Challenging as always and very fun.

Fun Course/Great Value

The course is in okay condition, unfortunately many who play here don’t fix their divots nor their ball marks. This shows on many of the trees where there is heavy damage causing them not to roll true. I can’t fault the grounds crew on this because it’s us players who are responsible. I do like to layout, it makes for a fun day. Just watch out for the creek on 9/18; it has eaten a few of my errant shots. They have a great driving range, the grill is basic, but nice, and all of the staff here are friendly and helpful.

I really enjoy this course, for the cost, it’s a great way to spend a few hours outside. I just wish more of the players would take care of the course; it’s a great location and we’re just as responsible to take care of it.

Great Staff, Great Value.

The rates to play this course are great.
I enjoyed the first 9 holes. Simple layout with some challenging greens and pin positions.
The staff was extremely friendly and provided a great addition to my golfing experience.
The second 9 are the same fairways/greens, just different tee boxes and pars. The second set of tees were, in my opinion, poorly positioned as the majority of tee shots are just blocked out by trees.
I would play again.

First time and ONLY time

This is a 9 hole course that has been converted to an 18 hole course simply by having two separate tee box areas on holes 1-9 but using the same fairway and green. The tee areas were in good condition but the fairways were hard and like hitting out of a fresh cut field with no grass. The greens are being worked on so they have a lot of sand and are bumpy and were to fast for my liking. The issue with this not being a true 18 hole course was when we got around to tee off at #10 there were 2 groups of 4 teeing off on #1 which would have put us behind for the rest of the day having to wait on these two groups. The majority of the hole layouts are dog-legs and never having played this course it was unclear how far we could hit the ball or what was on the other side of the hill?? We didn't even play the back 9 due to having to wait on 8 people teeing off on #1 and #10 was the same hole with a different tee area. Thankfully I got a Hot Deal on Golf now and didn't spend too much on this but would not recommend anyone waste their time at this course.

Hidden gem of Greensboro

Just like a previous review mentions don't really want to tell people about the course because then it would get more business but this course is great no doubt about it the city has taken great care of the course and also the practice facility is without a doubt one of the best in the area. The only one close as far as practice facility in the area I would say is meadowlands or Greensboro national and the only reason is bc there driving range would allow for more golfers at one time. But there are multiple short game areas and even a short game course to work on 50-60 yd shots.
The course is great for a 9 hole course and they have different tees for the second 9 which is great and some of the tee shots mean different angles off the tee as well as smaller landing areas a good challenge of golf that is affordable and worth every penny to ride 18 holes on a cart for $18 where you going to beat that?

Hate to tell people how well this course is tended because then everybody will want to be playing it! It's a little jewel amazingly kept a secret!

I really like this well kept course. It's on par with some courses I pay $60-$75 dollars to play and then wonder why I'm not at Gillespie. Equipment is in good shape, bunkers are maintained and there's so many good things to say about the staff that it's just easier to say welcoming and professional!
I'm a former club member and these guys really make you feel like they want you there enjoying their course that they're proud of! There's also a nice grill that does a killer pork chop sandwich, not something you can get just anywhere!
Go play it, you'll be telling your buddies about it.

This course is in excellent condition.

Played GIllespie Park on Father's Day. Wore a golf hat from Redbird Golf Links in Sapphire, NC, where my Dad, brother, and I played in 2009. It was our last round together. My Dad was 89.

Gillespie Park is in GREAT condition. Played for $12.60 and walked 18 holes. This is a nine holer, with different tees for each nine. My Dad was with me in spirit, guiding me to better shots, with 5 bogeys and 1 par, not bad for a high handicapper.

The staff is very friendly. Met a former colleague from my office who does the carts on weekends at Gillespie. One criticism..... the ranger came to me on my 13th hole, an uphill par 4. I was flagged for slow play from the group behind. They just came to the tee when I was on the green. I putted out and picked up my mulligan, walking diagonally to #14 tee. What the group behind didn't see was the twosome I caught up to. I was keeping a pace of under 2 hours per nine all day.

Once the ranger realized that I was playing at a good pace, they
warned the group in front. This was the only snag for the day. I took a deep breath on #14 tee and continued to hit pure shots!

Gillespie Park is an excellent municipal course, with friendly service and constantly improving conditioning. I would recommend this course to family and friends.

On the morning of the final round of the U. S. Open, it was fitting to play golf. My Dad and I went to my first U. S. Men's Open in 1974 to the final round at Winged Foot. Great moments on golf courses!

Thank you, Golf Now!!!!

Really enjoyed playing the course!!!!

I've only been playing for 3yrs now and started out at Gillespie. The course was in great shape. The fairway great, the greens great. Can't wait to go back, only through golf now, it was a good deal.

McLeansville, North Carolina
Brown Summit, North Carolina
Municipal
Jamestown, North Carolina

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.