Style Links

Although it is tucked away just north of Hampstead, Castle Bay Country Club will make you feel as though you've been transported to the British Isles. The golf course offers an authentic Scottish-links design that incorporates the natural wetlands of its coastal Carolina location, giving it a truly unique character. The landscape of rolling dunes is covered with native grasses but completely devoid of trees. Tall sand bunkers are strategically placed throughout and there are also expansive waste areas, both characteristics that are true to its links nature. Water hazards come into play on several holes as well. Accurate shot placement is the key to doing well on this course and just like any seaside links layout, the coastal breezes play a prominent role. Much of the difficulty of the golf course comes from negotiating with the prevailing winds.

Castle Bay Country Club

Year Built 1999

Nice layout, tough greens.

Challenging, makes you think , use just about every club in my bag.

Can’t beat the value

In my opinion Castle Bay has to be one of the best values in the area. Staff is super friendly. Tee boxes are all in good shape and clearly marked. Fairways were nice and the course layout made for a fun yet challenging round. Finally, the best part of Castle Bay has to be the greens. Rolled smooth and true all day just as they should.

Can’t wait to come back and play this course again!

Castle bay golf club, Hampstead nc

Very nice public course, friendly staff, fun and open layout. Am a sr high hcp player. Excellent teaching staff

Golf

Two of us played 18 holes in 3 hrs. and 10 minutes.

Greens.

After playing on these new greens, it looks like they would stop using equipment that leaks oil or hydraulic fluid. This will damage the greens in the short and long term. Waste of funds . Course in good shape not worth the money.

Challenging layout

Played this Dec. 5, 2019 it was in great condition with large greens and many challenging hazards, a must play for golfers in the Wilmington, Nc area.

First time here, really enjoyed the course. Good thing there were a lot of good reviews for the course as the pictures on the website make it look horrible - it was like they were trying to keep people away :)

Great course and will return when I a, back in the area

New greens great !

These are the best greens for a public course I ‘ve ever played...what a treat !

Will play again! Course knowledge will make the round much better. Look forward to next time.

Beautiful course

We played an early afternoon round today after a nice lunch at the clubhouse. The pace was just right for us. The greens were fast but probably about the normal for this time of year. There were a few challenging holes and would have appreciated a map on the scorecard as this was our first golfing there. We would come back for another round!

New greens great!

New greens are excellent. Castle Bay is a fun course to play, one of my favorites.
My only wish is that they back off on the watering of the green complexes; they are too wet.
Don

The course was in great shape! The perfect weather did not hurt. I would play there again.!

This course was well maintained. My only complaint is that it was a very hot day and there are no trees on the course!

A nice afternoon on the golf course

Castle Bay is a lovely course that is well maintained.
Due to the use of temporary greens, the course had fewer golfers...which was our gain.
We enjoyed cooler temperatures and well maintained fairways as we completed our round in 3-1/4 hours.

Will definitely return soon.

Too good to be true

Played here many times and always been impressed with the conditioning so after finding a $27 weekend tee time , I thought it seems too good to be true.
It was. The course had temparary greens ranging from 50 to 100 yards in front of the real greens, and had 6 inch diameter pipes in the ground for holes.
While I know that any course can have problems with the course conditioning at any time of year, it would be nice to let online bookers like myself know in advance before they turn up at the course, only to be very disappointed.

Course

This course was on temporary greens. I would have not booked it had I know.

Great course, terrible timing

Great course for sure. Ive been about seven or eight times since last year. Its the only links style in my area and I think is a good representation of the links style. They have pretty good deals on different apps and checking in and a little practice on their putting green and pitching range are always a great warm up. Only real critique I have, is for whatever reason play on the back nine is always slow. The back has more yardage and hazards, plus holes are closer together. Given that, its still gets super clogged in the afternoon when everyone tees off at 11am or after. Course can get pretty mushy and wet limiting to cart path and balls plugging if there's been 3 or 4 good rain days in the week.
But right now I would not go. I was out Sunday 2 days ago and learned they are moving the greens to use Champion Bermuda grass instead of whatever it was before. They started July 15th and Im not sure I heard a date they might be finished. Right now they mowed temporary greens to compensate(hence why I only payed 25 for the round). The new greens are no more than 15foot in diameter and the hole is actually on the crest of the space they mowed. They put 6in cups in to help but the whole green side experience is ridiculous and destroys all motivation to play after hole 1.
Think of a perky boob. The nipple is the cup and its like that on half of the holes. Also they are all placed 50-65 yards in front of the actual old greens so yardage is always off. No wonder the parking lot was more than half empty at 11:30 on a Sunday.

I get they are doing something huge to improve the course, but the temporary things are so poorly thought out and its only to keep people booking times for money. I would call ahead and make sure the renovations are finished because Im not going back there until they are.

All Greens Were Temporary

If I knew the course was in such poor condition (I know it was a short term problem), I would not have scheduled a tee time!

Hampstead, North Carolina
Hampstead, North Carolina

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.