Formerly known as Buffalo Shoals National Golf Club.

Year Built 1996
Architect Lennie Younce Gene Bates (1996)

Clubhouse

Available Activities

Swimming, Billiards

Available Sports

Fitness, Tennis

Charlotte Advisor

River Oaks Golf Club

First time out to River Oaks in several years. Course was in fantastic shape. Probably in the top four or five places I've played so far this year as far as conditions go. Tees, fairways, and greens all were great. Bermuda rough was thick in some places, yet more playable in others. Maybe my only knock on the course was the inconsistency of sand in the bunkers. Some had soft, white sand, while others had harder brown sand. The elevation changes and doglegs require accuracy and correct decision making off the tee. Greens are large and receptive, but you have to put your ball in the proper section if you want a chance to score. Fringes and run up areas are mowed tight and require precise chips and pitches. Pace of play was good; there were only a few groups on the course early on a Wednesday morning.

Hot weather, slow play and fuzzy greens

Pace of play was very slow, course was packed. Greens were very fuzzy, they putted OK, but balls didn't react like they normally do when approaching the greens, especially on pitch shots around the greens. They were not cutting the greens down due to the heat. The heat was nearly unbearable, 91 degrees and very humid.

One of the better courses in the area

My only gripe was getting paired up with another two-some back to back days. I griped about looking forward to spending some quality time with my son for a round at least one of the days. The owner basically told me they were slammed & there were nothing but four-somes playing. He met us in the parking lot & told me just to call him in the future if I wanted a round for just us two & he'd see what he could do. As far as I'm concerned if I"m paying to play there it should be my choice if I want to pair up or not. But, it's a nice course for the money.

River Oaks

This mountainy course is off of Rt 40 in Statesville, NC. Greens were excellent and were true to the course. Tee boxes were in great shape for this time of year. Staff was very friendly and no one bothered us on the course. I"ve played here a couple times and the tee boxes were different each time. It's challenging enough for me to want to come back again. I'd recommend this course!!

Course is very well manicured and even though it was wet it was still in great shape! We did have to wait on every hole but that was due to frost (can't control mother nature) and it wasn't a long wait maybe five minutes each! Will definitely be playing here many more times!

Thanks to the staff and the maintenance team for keeping the course in great shape!
David Lail

River Oaks

Great course Nice bent greens Fun and not long

Nice layout

Course was in good condition. Greens held an approach shot well. However, greens were very slow and rolling not quite true. (I think they need to be rolled.) Fairways were in good shape. Certainly a challenging course. Shop staff was very friendly and helpful.

One of the best courses in the area!

3rd time playing this hidden gem! Wish we had found it years ago. Great layout & very well maintained. Good little bar & grill too! Looking forward to the next round.

Best value in the area

Well maintained, consistent greens, scenic, hilly, varied, and challenging. Club house and amenities are more than sufficient but not flashy. As far as the course conditions and layout, its similar to courses that cost at least twice as much to play. A great value, will definitely come back very soon.

Great course, challenging layout

Course is currently in the best shape that I’ve seen It since it first opened many years ago. I have always liked this course, quiet scenic course with many challenging holes.

Awesome, great condition, great layout

I used to play here years ago and always loved the challenging layout. Lots of unique holes with great elevation changes. I had not been here in 4 years and was pleasently surprised to find a top notch clubhouse and A1 course conditions. Even though you could still see signs of aeration on the greens, they rolled fast, smooth, and true. And balls checked good too. They've taken out a lot of trees and it's in the best shape ever. Fairways are plush. If I had to nitpick anything negative, it's only that they didn't have water coolers out on the course. This is my favorite golf course of all time and I'm glad to see someone has put some money and effort to make it as great as it could be.

The hidden jewel

I played this course last year in the Spring and just yesterday. The transformation that was starting last year has accelerated The course's conditions will be peaking in a week or two. The owner is sinking money into the course and you can tell. There are several blind shots that requires thinking about what to hit and sometimes hitting less than the driver on several of the par fours. The greens are beautiful and can get quite fast. Well placed approach shots and pitches are a requirement to keeping the score down. Many long shots to the green end up with a pitch from the bottom of the hill. Challenging and fair.

Awesome course

This course was very challenging, although from what I'm told it is much easier now since they have taken out some trees. Fairly long course and in great shape for the time of year.

Excellent outing!

This was my second opportunity to enjoy a fantastic round of golf. The course is equally as beautiful as it is challenging. Staff is always very welcoming and also very informative. Looking forward to my next visit already! GOLO or Go Home!

Course is in great shape

Haven't been there for a couple of years. Fantastic transformation with the shape the course is in. Fairways, greens, emenities were all very nice. Well worth the price to play!!

Not for beginners

Ever have one of those days when you should have stayed home to do the honey do list instead of golf? Well I did here. Everything else was great but my game that day. I was horrendous. Could have used a little help, but you don't get any on this course. If it's not on the fairway that ball is gone. Course was in good shape and I will go back there another day and give it another shot.

tight squeeze

18 holes of golf, fit into a 16 hole sight, The course winds along the side of hills, with a creek/stream following with you for most holes. An good course to play forward on your first visit, (shot makers) I played with some senior regulars who showed me the way, I can't imagine how many balls would have gone away, had I play it back. Greens were just punched, but they did it with play in mind, used some kind of sand injection that kept them playable. They were fast and undulated, good fun.

Conover, North Carolina
Semi-Private/Resort
Conover, North Carolina
Semi-Private/Resort
Mooresville, North Carolina
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Hickory, North Carolina

Valid dates: Jun 06, 2017 - Jun 30, 2020
Let The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee create unforgettable Georgia vacations with packages that deliver adventure-filled weekend getaways, unrivaled golf outings or romantic escapes with your significant other.