Jones at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center

Walking allowed: No
Singles allowed: Yes
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for group getaways playing multiple courses a weekend splurge   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries

"Bad Greens"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

The course ost it’s greens. Had some make shift greens.

"Great Course to play"

Mulcox's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2018

We were excited to play at this course and did enjoy the course. My complaint is the cart guy was the most unhelpful, unfriendly person which made us rethink if we wanted to play. We tried to ask him directions and asked him where to go. No help what so ever. Once we got over that the ladies in the snack bar where very helpful and charming. The staff in the pro shop told us of the conditions. We had the course to ourselves so we really had a great time. Got done in 4 hours. Not bad.

"Yes...some greens are bad"

JohnKMoore1's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

OK, I want to try and give a level review of the course. With regards to the conditions, I do with the lady in the pro shop would have told me about the conditions beforehand. I would have played anyway, but I wouldn't have been surprised when I got to the first green. The average conditions were fine. I think one tee was pretty beat up. The fairways were in solid condition as well, maybe not quite equal to Barefoot and TPC, but not far off. Now...the greens. Some are actually fine. There were two temporary greens, one green had been replaced and one was I believe in process. I suspect 5 or 6 other greens will need a complete reconstruction with another couple in dire straits. The greens that made it through the winter OK are actually quite good. I would wonder why the Jones course had such extensive damage when the Maples course had none, but that's neither here nor there.

The layout is really quite good. Somewhat standard Jones with the elevated greens. But good variety in the holes and a generally solid course. I'd recommend it to someone, as long as they called in advance to get the condition of the greens for the time being. I do suspect communication could be better with golfers.

"Garbage Course. Similar Management."

gwklayko's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

The fact that anyone with a sane mind would advise you to golf here this year is unbelievable. That's what happened to some friends and I when we booked a package golf getaway. The broker who took care of setting up the accommodations and securing tee times put us at Oyster Bay Resort and had us start our golf rounds at the Sea Trails courses.

I'm jumping to conclusions, but if he had seen the conditions of these courses, and still let us golf there, this guy is borderline insane. Every single putt took at least two bounces across the green towards the cup. It made it darn near impossible to putt, and added at least 10-20 strokes to all our scores.

If you enjoy being lied to, or like to feel frustrated and angry feel free to book a tee time here. If not, play as far away as possible. On second thought, you could drive a few more miles down the road and golf on a very well manicured course. Whatever you do, just don't golf here.

"Worst Course Conditions Ever!"

stevekovach85's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

Came down on a golf trip and the course is in TERRIBLE condition. Not only did they not warn us that the course was in such bad shape but while checking in they were telling people who were calling in that there were only 2 or 3 bad greens. Sucks that they are totally dishonest about the state of the course. As part of our package we were to get free breakfast and lunch, they moved us to play other courses because the Jones and Byrd courses were so bad. We had to pay out of pocket for the meals we should have gotten for free. Whether you are booking a trip here or just looking for a decent track while on vacation stay away!

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

I've been playing golf for 35 years and these were the worst greens I have ever played on. Course should be closed for the year until greens are redone. Could have been a beautiful course as fairways were in excellent shape.

"Bad greens"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2018

Over half of the greens are mud and junk worst golf course I have ever played in my life

"All green in bad shape"

GillesDufour's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Winter was hard this year and all green of this course are affected. Pace of play : first nine ok , second nine: long waiting and no management .

Beautiful layout and beautiful communauty. 30 minutes in car from Myrtle beach ....

"Never will I play there again"

agvince's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Total Rip Off. The greens were horrible. I would not recommend this course to anyone. The pace of play was extremely slow. The staff was very confused from the pro shop to the starters. Very sad that they are charging people that much money when the course is in that shape.

Commented on 04/20/2018

Thank you for your review pertaining to your stay with us at Sea Trail. We value our guests' thoughts and feedback, which gives us an opportunity to address your concerns with the goal of delivering a first-class experience.

In reference to playing conditions on the Jones course, numerous golf properties in the Carolinas have faced challenges due to the unseasonably cold temperatures that have plagued our region since the start of the year. It has been labeled it as a “winter kill” in North and South Carolina and we continue to work hard in getting our courses in pristine condition. Our head groundskeeper and his talented crew members are working hard to keep all three of our premier courses in top shape. With better weather now in the area, we are optimistic our playing conditions will improve as the season progresses.

We appreciate your comments and look forward to having you back playing our courses in the near future.

"Terrible greens"

dmk's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

Bad conditions. Greens were just dirt. Only ones with any grass were the temporary ones and they needed to be cut.

Commented on 04/20/2018

In reference to playing conditions, numerous golf properties in the Carolinas have faced challenges due to the unseasonably cold temperatures that have plagued our region since the start of the year. It has been labeled it as a “winter kill” in North and South Carolina and we continue to work hard in getting our courses in pristine condition. Our head groundskeeper and his talented crew members are working hard to keep all three of our premier courses in top shape. With better weather now in the area, we are optimistic our playing conditions will improve as the season progresses.

tim8960607's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

"Disappointing"

smoothy4's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2018

Brought 12 guys down. I recommend anyone thinking about playing soon look for another course. Decent layout but greens basically rolled dirt spray painted green. At least fairways had grass. 2 temporary greens. Staff seemed indifferent. Blamed bad weather for shape of greens. The other 5 courses we played had no issues with their greens. They did offer free replay but even with that it was very disappointing.

"Layout fine, Greens suck."

jriggstiny's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2018

I brought a group of 28 men down to Myrtle Beach for my annual golf outing, and this course was recommended by the golf director that set this up. (I'm going to have a talk with him about this, too) First off, the people that worked there were awesome, very friendly. The layout was fair, but challenging. The greens (?) were atrocious. Some were green painted mud and they had 2 temporary greens that we had to use. For an established course like this, it's unacceptable. I won't be bringing my gang back until I know for a fact that they have regained their greens. I hate putting on mud...

Commented on 04/10/2018

In reference to playing conditions on the Byrd course, numerous golf properties in the Carolinas have faced challenges due to the unseasonably cold temperatures that have plagued our region since the start of the year. It has been labeled it as a “winter kill” in North and South Carolina and we continue to work hard in getting our courses in pristine condition. Our head groundskeeper and his talented crew members are working hard to keep all three of our premier courses in top shape. With better weather now in the area, we are optimistic our playing conditions will improve as the season progresses.

"Great Layout Bad Conditions"

Jkbyun's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2018
First time playing Used cart

The course layout was very nice. The conditions were not very good. Many of the the tee boxes were thin. The fairways were good, but several were tall so it was like hitting out of the rough. The greens on the front nine were ok. Several thin spots so it made putting difficult to read and gauge speed. The back nine was terrible. Most of the greens on the back nine were dirt painted green. It was like putting on rolled dirt. Would not play here until the greens are in better shape.

Commented on 04/10/2018

In reference to the conditions of the greens, numerous golf properties in the Carolinas have faced challenges due to the unseasonably cold temperatures that have plagued our region since the start of the year. It has been labeled it as a “winter kill” in North and South Carolina and we continue to work hard in getting our courses in pristine condition. With better weather now in the region, we are hopeful our playing conditions will continue to improve as the season progresses.

We look forward to having you back playing our courses in the near future.

Commented on 04/09/2018

We played last Friday, April 6. The greens were mud and they had 2 temporary greens. Sorry, but that's what they've got. Good Luck.

Commented on 03/30/2018

We are playing it on Friday of next week, April 6. Fingers crossed here as well.

Commented on 03/29/2018

When are you playing this course? Our group is not paying this course until the end of April. We are hoping the conditions will be better by then. Fingers crossed.

Commented on 03/28/2018

Boy I hope you are exaggerating! I've got 28 men from 4 states that are playing this course as the opening course on our annual Myrtle Beach golf trip. I hope the management of the course is reading this!!!

"Jones Course"

BubDillon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2018

Played here on our way to Myrtle as a warmup course. Paid $59 and the guy in the pro shop told us it included their “amazing “ lunch buffet prior to our tee time. You get one trip to the buffet, that day they had a salad/cold bar and a hot bar that had mashed potatoes and rubbery chicken and a pork chop that rivaled shoe leather.

The bag drop guy informed us we had to walk and carry our bags to the range (approximately 175 yards) the range was average nothing spectacular.

The course is an ok layout but the greens were not receptive, and areas of them were dead. They appeared to be healthy, but they have been painted green. Pace of play was mediocre at best.

Our group has decided not to return to play at Sea Trail.

"Really enjoyed this course"

Chrisnolan1's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2018

The first few greens were lightningbfast, butvthe rest were closer to “normal”. Overall everything was in great shape. Great value. A MUST if you are in the area.

"Over priced and over booked!"

raymond48's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2017

Played this course because we looked at the reviews. With all the courses on the area the price was on the high side for what you get. It is a older course that when we got there looked to have a lot of regular players, the pace of play was horrible, they sent us out as a foursome stacked right on top of two other foursomes . No gap and seeing as players don’t know how to play ready Golf it made it very slow . If we Had not paid so much we would have quit as it was we just finished before the sun going down. Would not return, too many other nice courses to pick from.

"Super deal!"

DanGroDROnt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2017

My wife and I played the course for the first time but were familiar with the Byrd course. We enjoyed the layout very much. It does have some forced carries but they were not overly hard (white tees). The design presents variety, reasonably generous fairways and well maintained bunkers. Best of all is the deal offered with the round as it includes meals and beverages! Pretty hard to beat and we will be back.

"Good layout, multiple tees so playable for any handicap"

u742200770's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2017

Good layout, smooth greens, very friendly staff. One slow group ruined a perfect golf day. Three hours to play last nine.

"Great course at a good price"

pacopc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

The course was in great shape even after the rain. It was cart path only on 4 holes but that didn't affect pace of play. We were able to finish 18 holes in just over 4 hours. We even made it to the clubhouse for a drink before they closed after teeing ioff at 12:30.