2.6
2.6

Sea Trail Golf Resort - The Dan Maples Golf Course

Year Built 1986
Greens A1/A4 blended Bent Grass
Architect Dan Maples (1986)

Single Allowed Yes
Walking Allowed No

Sorry I played

I am an 11 hdcp and have played golf for 42 years, played hundreds of different courses and played a couple thousand rounds of golf. This was by far my worst experience. We were tormented by mosquitoes for all 18 holes. The cart paths were in disrepair or non existent. None of the traps were cared for at all. One green had two halves (one fast and one slow). All greens had large bare patches and were covered with several kinds of weeds or foreign grasses. The speed on the greens varied significantly from hole to hole.
On most of my golf rounds I get rather depressed about the 15th hole because the round is almost over. Today I was depressed on the 7th hole because I had 14 holes to go.

Give it time

I have reviewed this course multiple times. I currently say stay away. The summer has been brutal on the bent grass greens, and it certainly shows here. I would not even head back and try again until early to mid October, the greens need cooler weather and time to heal. With this I would highly recommend the sister courses on Sea Trail, Byrd or Jones. Both of these courses are in great shape and have Bermuda greens.

Neglected

Course in bad shape
Greens fairways and cart paths in serious need of repair
No snack bar.

Under repair

Greens almost bare on most holes. Many sand traps unplayable due to course renovation. I know Maples is not the signature course, but it needs some investment. Course was great earlier in the season.

N

Very nice course. Greens had a little stress to them but a very nice course to play

Not great

The maples doesn’t even have a driving range near it The greens where not in good condition. We only paid $23 dollars to play because of Golf Now. Tee boxes and fairways were good. You get what you pay for.

Expected Better

We were disappointed with the amenities, no food to speak of. Pro Shop staff grumpy and incorrect in stating I paid for 4 players when my conformation was a 2-some. Very disappointed in the greens, still experiencing affects of winter burn from one year ago. Nothing like the Byrd Course we played last year. Overall a good value.

Fun at Maples

Good mixture of holes lengthwise; greens rolled well with the slightest of breaks at the hole; some greens on the back nine were a bit rough around the edges;; HOT DEAL on GOLF NOW made it a great price ; well worth the money

Thursday Tee Off

Went off Number 1 with another twosome as the first group of the day. Didn't see anyone in front of us for 9 holes. When we turned we caught the last group going off the double tee start and this group was SLOW. Never saw a marshal and this group added between 45-60 minutes on our second nine. Frustrating! Greens were pretty beat up, fairways and tee boxes in good shape.

Good overall

ts was a very nice course. Good water. Slightly challenging for a mid/high handicapper. Bunkers were nice and play was fair. No water on course no ball washers and cart paths were pretty rough or it would have gotten 4 stars. I recommend playing here and will be back.

The grass clippings in the rough needed to be removed

The excess rain may have caused this condition but besides the excess grass clippings, there are weeds growing surrounding this area. Disappointing.

Course was OK but the price was excellent.

Course was a little rough around the edges but the fairways and tees were good. The greens were somewhat slow but it looked like they had recently been verticut so maybe that is why.

Commented On 07/11/2019

Hi spcgolftt! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Extremely slow play

No rover to hurry slower groups. Waited on almost every shot. Other than that, an enjoyable day.

Commented On 07/11/2019

Hello, piratemc74. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. We are glad to see you enjoyed your time, other than the pace of play. Thank you for playing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center. We hope to see you again soon.

This course used to be a really good course.

The money hasn't been put into keeping the course up. It is a shame.

Commented On 07/09/2019

Hello. Thanks for the review. We see you rated the course 1-star. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. We always appreciate the feedback. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. Thank you for playing Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center.

Great place

The staff was great! Dan Maples course was closed. We played the Jones course which was in great condition. Fairways green and the greens were in excellent condition. I will play there again!
Thanks for such a great time. !

Great Value, Great Turn-Around

In 2016 I reviewed this course as "Stay Away." It has turned around remarkably. Having a great admiration for Maples designed course,.I am very excited about the turn-around here. The fairways are very lush and give you a great lie. The greens are a little soft but roll very well. The traps are well maintained to include the waste bunkers.

I played the "whites" at just 5900 yards. The rating/Slope is 69.7/127. There are plenty of challenges with many forced carries. There are at least 8 holes that water comes into play, and the views and angles make this a fun and challenging track..

Pace of play is great and they currently single tee Maples, a rarity for the Myrtle Beach area. This course also drains very well, so they seldom play cart path only. I give it a five star value rating, and should be a strong 3.5 star in conditions. I always rate courses with housing lower and the cart paths will defiantly rattle your around. Give it a whirl, I plan to play it much more now that it is back in shape.

Commented On 06/20/2019

Duane, we are so happy you enjoyed yourself here at Maples at Sea Trail Golf Resort and Convention Center enough to recommend us! Thanks for acknowledging all the hard work we have put into improvements recently. We hope to see you again soon.

Father and son outing

Got in 7 holes before the Heavens Dropped the Lakes upon us. Course was in Superb shape, first 7 Greens rolled great and stuck beautiful. Beautiful scenic views. Got a 9 hole rain check can't wait to go back in July on our next Father and son outing.
Staff was extremely professional and personal and very nice.

Commented On 06/10/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. Thanks for the compliments, we are very honored. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Sea Trail Golf Resort - Dan Maples Golf Club!

Sea Trail Maples

I played the blue tees and being a 14 handicap was perfect for my game. Great layout and very scenic golf course. Requires thought as a driver is not the club on some of the shorter par 4’s. Greens were in good condition but a tad slow.

While the cart paths are rough and the traps had not been raked, it was still a great experience and I will play there again.

Commented On 06/06/2019

Hi Mike. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Sea Trail Golf Resort.

Great value for the Money

First time playing this course. Have played the Jones course last year. Terrific value via GolfNow. Played a different course last week in the area and it was in terrible shape, bad bunkers, so-so layour. The Maples course had a fair layout. Many short holes, but a few long ones to test you. Greens in good shape, slower than we are used to, but fair. The size of the greens were also small.

It's a nice course, staff was good. Biggest issue was a few holes the trees came into play too much. But will come back again.,

Commented On 06/04/2019

Hi Tom. We appreciate you taking the time to review Sea Trail Golf Resort - Dan Maples Golf Club. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing.

Request A Vacation Quote From Fore Myrtle Beach
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Fore Myrtle Beach will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina