Newport Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

"Billy Casper Golf, "Where Are You?""

jmott's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

This is what happens when a business man buys something that's out of his domain. This nice old gem has a terrific layout. The grass conditions weren't great but acceptable. Sand traps a wreck. The greens were fine and rolled true. Bravo to the limited staff. BUT!!

This place is teetering and could go either way. The money is being spent foolishly here. I actually played two days in a row because I liked the layout. Also I couldn't be sure it would be here much longer.$45 on Friday, $65 on Saturday. The daily rates are a bit high, and the membership rates are ridiculously low. (spoke to a few members, approx. $600 for the year). On Saturday, I saw the owner spending all day working on flower beds with a young staff member, but no one changed the cups on the greens. And I know they weren't changed before my Friday round either. There's a wonderful kitchen in the clubhouse that remains closed. That in itself could be a home run in that community. The Bar is tended by the counterman/cart guy/everything else guy. Say whatever you want, pretty and friendly bar maids attract post round consumption which equal $$. Off the bar is a deck with a beautiful view of the mountains. I was the only one sitting on it. Two others at the inside bar after a Saturday round. $$ missed. I found it sad to look at this sweet old course and see it what could be. Unfortunately, if the owner here doesn't wake up, swallow his pride and bring in an outside management team, the place is doomed. If anyone is out there with the means, Please save this course!

"Very Poorly Managed"

dandylion58's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Our golf group of 36 players held a golf tournament at Newport Golf Club on 5/6/17. It was a horrible experience from the start. Management never set up the golf carts for the group so that everyone knew where they were starting. It created a lot of confusion as players had to go to the desk to look for their card. The carts were not cleaned - looked like they were just parked from the day before without being washed. The carts were also in poor condition (brake issues on some, throttle issues on others). Neither the manager nor the owner welcomed the group or made any announcements about the course before we headed out. None of the scorecards were handicapped correctly, Some of the groups were not paired up correctly. The women's special prize hole placards were not put out on the course (the men's were). I specifically stopped at the clubhouse during the round and found the manager Max - I told him we expected that he would be there when we were finished to collect the cards and post the results. He said "um, I guess I can do that". When we came in, he was nowhere to be found. We ended up having to score the cards ourselves which created some extra unnecessary stress. We held the banquet in the Divot Room, which was a good size. Salt Hill catered. Max never showed up the rest of the evening. When I was ready to leave, I told the bartender to have Max call me to arrange payment, and the bartender said "I am the owner". Never once all day or evening did he ever introduce himself as the owner before that, nor did he welcome us or thank us for coming. We were guaranteed money walking through the door, and I felt that was very rude. I negotiated the payment with him after I expressed all of our negative experiences there, though he did take an opportunity to insult me during the process. When I gave him my credit card to pay, he disappeared for about 10 minutes. I looked all over for him, and finally he came indoors from another building! He had me sign the credit card slip, and I had to ask him for a receipt!!!!

It is too bad, because the golf course was in good shape despite the rainy weather, and the facility itself lends itself to hosting tournaments and banquets which is why I gave it as high as a 2 rating. However this management does not know what they are doing, and we will not ever consider coming here again unless the place is sold to someone who knows how to run a golf course and make guests feel welcome.

"Send In The Goats"

OBHit3's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

It's bad.

Make no mistake about it.

Sometimes the fairways have grass on them, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes the tee boxes do, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes whoever is shooting a howitzer in the distance actually doesn't do it on your back swing.

And on and on it goes.

Holes 2-4 are an absolute joke, but you do get to risk your life by taking your cart (circa 1953, complete with ripped seats) across a very busy road to get to them. Once there, you get to be loudly serenaded by whatever third rate band is entertaining the drunk patrons of the Moose Lodge (which is approximately 6 inches away from the tee box).

The bunkers have sand from a construction site in them (if they aren't totally overgrown with weeds or filled with rocks), they actually have the gall to charge $65 on a weekend, the... oh why bother.

Stay as far away from this place as you can.

"Nice course"

petetag's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2015

Newport is great course and I've always found it to be good in condition. Not too difficult, but definitely not boring.

"greens"

dougcrafts's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I played Newport before it is a nice course. Was looking forward to playing there, but all the greens on the front nine were aerated Not all on the back 9 but enough. If I new that I would not have played. Would have gone to another course that day..

"Surprise Gem fior the average Golfer"

jakling01's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I played the Newport Golf Course for the first time this week. I will definitely make plans to return there. The course had a good mixture of challenging and straight-forward holes. The bunkers were plentiful (I found several,) and the Sugar River swallowed up a couple of balls, but the opportunities were there to either score well or put up a big number.<br/> More skilled players (scratch to 4-5 Hdcp.) may find the course less challenging because a number of the doglegs can be cut, but as a higher scoring player, this course was well worth my time. The fees were also very attractive.

"Great course"

plumcuda1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014

It may be a little bit out of the way but a really nice course. It has everything you want in a new england course. Wide open holes so you can unleash the driver, dog legs to keep you in check and so.e challenging par 3's.<br/> I drove 90 minutes to play the course and it was well worth it. Great conditions and I played 18 holes in 2.5 hours. I should have played it again.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Low key and homey"

teresagiblin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice course. Picturesque and well kept.Friendly folks on the course and in the clubhouse. No pretense, just golf.

"Nice course, good value"

u000002082577's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2014

The greens were badly damaged by last winter's weather. They're gonna need another year to recover. Can't wait to try it again with better greens!

"Pretty scenic layout"

Hitdog20's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2014

Great value for under $40. Friendly staff, and quick play. Course was in rough shape from bad winter, look forward to playing again once it heals up. Definitely recommend to future golfers.

"Great Layout"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Loved the layout of this course. Plenty of doglegs and hills on the front 9 force you to play a variety of long irons and hybrids, while the back 9 requires more length and accuracy to navigate water. Conditions were very good considering the damage that many of the New England courses experienced from this past winter. Rates are in line for the area and it is very easy to find a quality tee time.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Damaged Greens"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Fortunately, Golf Now had a great deal for this course. Otherwise it would have been a total waste of money at the regular course prices.<br/> The putting greens are in deplorable conditions due to snow/ice damage this past winter and they expect it to remain that way until mid-July...or later!<br/> Also, the fairways are very narrow with no first cut, only ankle deep rough and if you don't keep the ball on the fairway you end up spending far too much time looking for your ball that might only be 5 feet off the fairway.<br/> This is usually a pretty good course to pay but I would avoid playing it until the course conditions improve.

Commented on 06/17/2014

Since your visit I'm happy to say that we've invested in a brand new rough unit that has aided us in not only catching up on all of the rough, but also helping us cut it at a shorter length in a more efficient timeframe. We'll also be working on adding a first cut to all of our fairways in the coming week.

As you'll see we're offering more competitive rates here on GolfNow in hopes of attracting more golfers such as yourself.

My sincerest apologies, I hope you'll play us again as we are putting forth our best effort in getting back to 100% after an incredibly difficult winter.

Michael Catsam<br/> Operator, NGC