View from a tee at Cooks Creek Golf Club
1.7
2.6
1.8
2.6

Cooks Creek Golf Club (previously known as Raintree South Golf Club) is bordered by Little Walnut Creek on one side and the Scioto River on the other, providing a scenic setting that is ideal for a round of golf. The course is a certified Audubon Sanctuary and there is also a Blue Herron rookery on site. Opened in 1993, the golf course is relatively young but it has already established a reputation for being one of central Ohio's best public courses. Local architects Michael Hurzdan and Dana Fry designed the course with the assistance of John Cook. Cooks Creek has two completely unique nines that offer two different sets of challenges. The diverse layout requires careful strategy and it will also test your shot-making abilities. With two bodies of water serving as neighbors, water definitely plays a role on the golf course.

Cooks Creek Golf Club

Year Built 1993
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1993) John Cook (1993) Dana Fry (1993)

Golf School Academy Yes - "John Cook Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Dress code Appropriate golf attire. Collared shirt, bermuda shorts.

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Ohio (2017 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #12)

Course Condition

I have played this course many times but not for a few years. This course used to be so beautiful and was enjoyable to play. Yesterday was a mess, steps leading to tees are at your own risk. Greens-Fairways and Tees are nothing but crabgrass or mud and burnt out. The course can't breath because of all the overgrowth and brush this would take at least 2 years to clean up the brush and cut down trees to let it breath. I never wright reviews but felt I had to on this one. This course used to be my favorite not anymore. The groundskeeper needs fired and bring someone in who has a clue about golf course maintenance. I hope it can come back, I cant believe John has seen this course in a long time. This is very sad!!!

It’s a shame

I have played here several times and it has never been in this kind of shape. If you are unable to maintain your business then sell it I don’t mean to be so judgmental but after seeing how far this course has gone down hill it’s obvious the owner does not care about it. Avoid this course unless you like cow pasture golf courses for high prices.

Cooks weeds

What happened? The Cooks Creek I remember was beautiful. The tee box, fairways and greens are all weeds

Sad Decline

Played here about ten years ago and went back recently. They said they were switching grass. The course is in worse shape than the average back yard. Tee boxes are covered in weeds and crabgrass. Greens have large bare spots and fairways are not any better. This was a beautiful course ten years ago and the condition it is in now is shocking compared to then.

Wow, looks like my stepson cut the grass

Used to be my fav course in Columbus, haven’t been able to golf in few Hayward due to health.... but back at it!

Was very excited to go back, but wow! The course is dead, poor greens, tee boxes... and fairways? You mean crabgrass!!! I honestly have never seen a course in that bad shape.

They obviously know it’s terrible, but still yet had no problem charging $40 to play. I’m not one to write reviews... but here I am. It pains me to not wanna play there again.

Needs Work

The course needs work in all aspects. Fairways and greens show damage or lack of maintenance, not sure which one.

All of their wooden stairs leading to tee boxes and greens are rotted and unsafe.

Sad

If you like a course where the fairways cease to exist and you prefer putting off of asphalt than Cooks Creek is the course for you. In all my years I’ve never seen a course in such poor conditions. Through only grit and mental fortitude we were able to finish the 18. It looked as though they had hosted a monster truck demolition derby just days before. The tee boxes were filled with clover and weed patches and the fairways were littered with tire tracks and dirt patches. The course likely does not own a lawnmower. And the greens? Oh the horror. Between the broken railings and the wet shingles nailed over the broken steps to keep them together we were lucky to make it out alive. There should be criminal charges brought on the course for accepting people’s hard earned money to play here. Stay away!

Dumpster Trash

This course is horrific. If someone told me a nuclear bomb was dropped in the middle of the course yesterday, I probably would have believed them. The fairways looked like a war zone. The greens looked and played like AstroTurf was laid on concrete and then someone took a blow torch to it. The name of the course should be changed to “Crooks” creek because whoever runs this place is running a criminal operation stealing money from people. Also, if for some horrible reason someone decides to play here, be careful walking up the stairs and using the railing on #10. It looks like wood hasn’t been replaced in a century and the railing is coming out of the ground. It’s a law suit waiting to happen. It’s also a miracle how anyone gets through 18 holes because the signage on the course is non-existent and it’s impossible to find some tee boxes. I wouldn’t come back here even they offered me free golf for a lifetime. For the love of God don’t waste your money.

Commented on 08/25/2020

Hi, mwbyrne. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We working to improve the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We understand your frustration with the construction projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Worst course in central Ohio

Unbelievable John Cook would lend his name to this dump Tee boxes non existent fairways all dirt greens are mud. I think i would rather play at Blackhawk which been closed over a year its probably still in better shape. Read they are in talks to sell this to a park/canoe livery if that is the case then stop stealing from the public and put on your website this course is unplayable

Commented on 08/18/2020

Hi, joediana. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Simple - Don’t Waste Your Time

This course could not be in worse condition. Your choices are to hit off of dirt or weeds in the “fairway”. Best of luck finding a spot to get your tee into the ground on the tee box. The greens are completely dried out and are burnt all over. Your money is better spent elsewhere, this place needs a complete overhaul.

Commented on 08/17/2020

Hi, michaelestry. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We are constantly working to maintain the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Golf somewhere else than Cooks Creek

I played this course about 4 years ago and it was in excellent condition with amazing elevated tee boxes! I decided to play it again this year and it was a big mistake, the course was in such bad condition I wanted to go back to the front and ask for my money back. I continued to play the course hoping it would get better, but the greens and fairways were almost completely bare. There was no water in majority of the ponds and the ponds that had water were not cared for, the grass looked as if it hadn’t been cut all season. The management of this course is extremely disappointing because the hole layouts are great and I know what the course looked like before, this course should be shut down and no one should pay to play on this course.

Commented on 08/18/2020

Hi, Josh. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Don’t do it!

It’s sad because this use to be one of the nicer courses here. Unfortunately it has not been taken care of and is a complete dog track now. Even for only $25 for my round was to much. The layout is fun but they don’t take care of it at all anymore. It will be my last time ever playing there.

Commented on 08/13/2020

Hi ssrcsimon. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Commented on 08/12/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Course in Really Bad Shape

Today was the 20th round I have played at Cook’s Creek dating all the way back to 2013. First time playing in 2020. This was by far the worst shape I have ever seen the course in. Burned out fairways and greens. Some greens are over halfway burned out, cracked, crusty, and sandy. Overgrown and poorly maintained tee boxes. Most bunkers are grass grown-in or badly maintained. I’m very sad - we used to love the drive down from CBus to play here - but not today. I would certainly avoid for some time. I hope this course comes back.

Commented on 08/13/2020

Hi, GoBucksGolfer. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Bad shape

The course is in bad shape. Bare spots all over the place from the tee boxes to fairways even the greens. Used to be my favorite course. Will be very hard to go back. Needs a lot of work. Very disappointed.

Commented on 08/13/2020

Hi, Werner11. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We are constantly maintaining the course to improve the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

AWESOME STAFF at a beautiful course

LOVE the people at Cooks Creek. Left my wallet in a golf cart and one of the staff found it and called me immediately to let me know she had it. Went back to pick it up and play again. Everybody working there is soooo nice and friendly...and I was so happy to get my wallet back...that I had to write this review. I believe good people make a good golf course great. That is certainly the case at Cooks Creek. The layout of the course is really challenging but fair. The value for the money is great - golf can get expensive around Columbus ! But mostly the thing I LOVE about this location is the staff - friendly and helpful and Cathy makes an amazing chicken salad sandwich ! Will definitely play here many times in the future. I heard they are replacing the grass so it can only get better ! Awesome place to play.

Commented on 08/17/2020

You or a family member must work there because no one who swings a golf club would give it 2 stars let alone 5 that you gave

Commented on 08/12/2020

Wow, we are so happy you enjoyed your round! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cow pasture in better shape

I’ve played this course many times, but this will be my last! There are more weeds in this course than this is grass and more bare spots on the greens than there was grass! I’m not sure who owns this place now, but I’d think the Cook family would be ashamed to have their name on this place now!

Commented on 08/13/2020

Hi, craigmenke. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

What happen?

This course was elite back in the day! Now it horrible! There is nothing I can say good about this course right now! Save your money...

Commented on 08/13/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. We are constantly working towards getting things up to par. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Horrible

Course has definitely seen much better days. Half of the fairways were literally dirt, and over have the greens had a decaying earth type of look. Rough was not mowed up to par. The only good thing about this course are the staff ( very friendly) and the carts are in good shape.

Commented on 08/13/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. We are constantly working towards getting things up to par. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We are glad you found our staff friendly and hope to see you again soon.

Ashville, Ohio