View from a tee at Cooks Creek Golf Club
2.1

Cooks Creek Golf Club (previously known as Raintree South Golf Club) is bordered by Little Walnut Creek on one side and the Scioto River on the other, providing a scenic setting that is ideal for a round of golf. The course is a certified Audubon Sanctuary and there is also a Blue Herron rookery on site. Opened in 1993, the golf course is relatively young but it has already established a reputation for being one of central Ohio's best public courses. Local architects Michael Hurzdan and Dana Fry designed the course with the assistance of John Cook. Cooks Creek has two completely unique nines that offer two different sets of challenges. The diverse layout requires careful strategy and it will also test your shot-making abilities. With two bodies of water serving as neighbors, water definitely plays a role on the golf course.

Cooks Creek Golf Club

Year Built 1993
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1993) John Cook (1993) Dana Fry (1993)

Golf School Academy Yes - "John Cook Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Dress code Appropriate golf attire. Collared shirt, bermuda shorts.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Ohio (2017 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #12)

Course should not be open

I played in a foursome today with three of us having played at this course many times in the past. I was embarrassed for the person who had never played here after I talked it up. I understood that due to the water issues, we could only play 9 of the 18 holes, twice. The tees were unkept and many without markers, weeds growing on them; the fairways were unmowed and full of weeds; the rough was never attended to and was over grown with high grass and weeds; the greens were uneven, leaf strewn and hard to gauge a straight putt. I will not be going back. $10 would have been a high price as I drove 45 minutes to golf here.

Disappointing

I was really disappointed in the course after hearing a lot of good things about it. It's unfortunate because I think with the layout and setting of the course, it could be a fantastic track. But it does need some serious TLC. The bunkers are far gone and several of the greens have some pretty bad spots on them.

what a waste

What a shame the people that bought this course are letting it go to a total disgrace. Actually had a little grass in the fairways (not very good) greens were ok but getting worse, the front 9 had not been cut all year there’s weeds between tee boxes 3 feet high. The bunkers well what used to be bunkers have not been touched in who knows how long and have bottles n beer cans in them. Course used to be good and is on a nice piece of property but it is pretty far gone and will take way more money then these owners have or are willing to spend. Don’t waste your time or money.

So much Potential

I was excited to play this course after I saw pictures on their website and their video. However as soon as you pull in you know it was too good to be true. Weeds everywhere, beer bottles in the “sand traps” if you want to call them that because there was no sand, and it was over all in terrible shape. Granted the front I guess flooded a few weeks back but that is no excuse for the holes that didn’t flood. The layout is beautiful and has so much potential but I will not be going back unless they clean the place up.

Ugh

Have loved this course for so many years. Need to stay away until it is fixed. It’s in really bad shape. Was not maintained last year and now in the roughest shape I have ever seen. Optimistic as people were working on it. I would play over and over again if gets back to where it was a couple years ago. Long way to go. Price does match the quality but not sure if worth playing at all right now

Commented on 04/13/2020

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Rain

Golf now hit deal played in the rain fora few holes greens were ok no one much on course just a twosome in front of us we occasionally had to wait on. Great layout good people low price can’t beat it

Commented on 03/23/2020

Thank you for visiting us! We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

1-Star Course 5-Star Value

Played here once before years ago and loved the layout, but clearly the money isn’t there anymore or it isn’t being applied. Fairways are dead, nothing in the bunkers, tees are a joke. The greens rolled nice, but I might only think that because they weren’t aerated. Early in the year, paid $10, was the first tee time at noon. Great value, and such a shame, it’s a beautiful course if kept!

Commented on 03/23/2020

Hello, Eric9615932. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give Cooks Creek Golf Club another try in the near future.

Love this course

Great course love the layout. Glad all 18 holes are back open.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Commented on 03/23/2020

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Cooks Creek Golf Club!

Commented on 02/11/2020

Thanks for leaving us a review! We're glad you enjoyed your time at Cooks Creek Golf Club and hope you'll come see us again soon.

Getting better

Was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the course after the rough summer they had. This has always been one of my favorite courses, so hopefully in 2020 they will have the course restored to its original beauty and thrive like I know they can.

Commented on 01/12/2020

Hi Zachary! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Beautiful Course

Great to see Cooks Creek is back to normal fairways. One of my favorite courses in Columbus area. Thank you to all the people involved and all the hard work bringing the fairways back. Can't wait to play it again.

Commented on 12/01/2019

Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Awful

The course hasn’t been maintained! The tee boxes are dirt, huge areas of burnt out grass. I played the course earlier in the year and I was looking forward to playing it today. What a disappointment!

Waste of money

What terrible shape is course is in! They should not charge over $20 until it gets back in shape. The layout is awsome, but that's it. The tee boxes , fairways were in horrible shape, the greens were ok, could use some work, but ok. Cant blame it on the weather, although it has been a factor, but I played turnberry last week, it was in great shape.
I cannot recommend this course, sorry.

Don’t play this course

The weather was beautiful and that was the only thing that was nice. Tee boxes should be re-named dirt boxes. (Picture below). The fairways were equally as bad, with patches of dirt spanning several hundred cubic feet at times. Greens were the same story, with huge patches of dirt and balls marks everywhere. There was no sand in the sand traps, just dirt and grass. With the last three weeks of absolutely perfect weather, i cannot believe that the course was in this horrible of condition. It’s a shame this course would even take people’s money, if they cannot get it in better condition, the course should shut down.

Best come back ever

This course suffered some challenging weather and lost their fairways. But the comeback has been remarkable! I enjoyed playing and could feel the life coming back to this course. Fun course and great rates.

Commented on 10/07/2019

Mother Nature’s Wrath

Course is in terrible shape still. Tee boxes are nothing but crab grass and dead spots, fairways are dead with patchy spots of grass. Good job of putting pins where you don’t have to putt through dead spots. Really a shame because it is a great layout and used to be one of the nicest, most manicured courses in central Ohio. Not anymore. . It is almost like they need to close course for year and start over. Hardly anything available in clubhouse. Not worth the $33 we paid. Unfortunately I can not recommend playing this course.

Commented on 10/01/2019

Hi Adam, we appreciate your feedback. We are doing our best to fix the course. We are sorry that it's in this state, but we are working hard during this time. We hope you will consider returning soon.

Course condition has really gone downhill

This used to be excellent and one of my favorites. Whether because of lack of interest, lack of revenue or a very bad superintendent, this place has really gone downhill. Interesting layout, but it's in terrible condition. Large areas of nothing but dirt in the middle of many fairways. Putting green closest to first tee does not have cups...it's nothing but a very small green. Many tee boxes are also in bad shape. Sad. But indoor staff is great.

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hi, we understand the course is not in its best shape right now, but we are working towards restoring it. We appreciate your patience during this time and hope you will consider coming back soon.

Valid dates: May 05, 2020 - Dec 31, 2020