2.6

Cooks Creek Golf Club (previously known as Raintree South Golf Club) is bordered by Little Walnut Creek on one side and the Scioto River on the other, providing a scenic setting that is ideal for a round of golf. The course is a certified Audubon Sanctuary and there is also a Blue Herron rookery on site. Opened in 1993, the golf course is relatively young but it has already established a reputation for being one of central Ohio's best public courses. Local architects Michael Hurzdan and Dana Fry designed the course with the assistance of John Cook. Cooks Creek has two completely unique nines that offer two different sets of challenges. The diverse layout requires careful strategy and it will also test your shot-making abilities. With two bodies of water serving as neighbors, water definitely plays a role on the golf course.

Cooks Creek Golf Club

Year Built 1993
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1993) John Cook (1993) Dana Fry (1993)

Practice Hole Yes

Dress code Appropriate golf attire. Collared shirt, bermuda shorts.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Ohio (2017 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #12)

Awful

The course hasn’t been maintained! The tee boxes are dirt, huge areas of burnt out grass. I played the course earlier in the year and I was looking forward to playing it today. What a disappointment!

Waste of money

What terrible shape is course is in! They should not charge over $20 until it gets back in shape. The layout is awsome, but that's it. The tee boxes , fairways were in horrible shape, the greens were ok, could use some work, but ok. Cant blame it on the weather, although it has been a factor, but I played turnberry last week, it was in great shape.
I cannot recommend this course, sorry.

Don’t play this course

The weather was beautiful and that was the only thing that was nice. Tee boxes should be re-named dirt boxes. (Picture below). The fairways were equally as bad, with patches of dirt spanning several hundred cubic feet at times. Greens were the same story, with huge patches of dirt and balls marks everywhere. There was no sand in the sand traps, just dirt and grass. With the last three weeks of absolutely perfect weather, i cannot believe that the course was in this horrible of condition. It’s a shame this course would even take people’s money, if they cannot get it in better condition, the course should shut down.

Best come back ever

This course suffered some challenging weather and lost their fairways. But the comeback has been remarkable! I enjoyed playing and could feel the life coming back to this course. Fun course and great rates.

Commented on 10/07/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Cooks Creek Golf Club!

Mother Nature’s Wrath

Course is in terrible shape still. Tee boxes are nothing but crab grass and dead spots, fairways are dead with patchy spots of grass. Good job of putting pins where you don’t have to putt through dead spots. Really a shame because it is a great layout and used to be one of the nicest, most manicured courses in central Ohio. Not anymore. . It is almost like they need to close course for year and start over. Hardly anything available in clubhouse. Not worth the $33 we paid. Unfortunately I can not recommend playing this course.

Commented on 10/01/2019

Hi Adam, we appreciate your feedback. We are doing our best to fix the course. We are sorry that it's in this state, but we are working hard during this time. We hope you will consider returning soon.

Course condition has really gone downhill

This used to be excellent and one of my favorites. Whether because of lack of interest, lack of revenue or a very bad superintendent, this place has really gone downhill. Interesting layout, but it's in terrible condition. Large areas of nothing but dirt in the middle of many fairways. Putting green closest to first tee does not have cups...it's nothing but a very small green. Many tee boxes are also in bad shape. Sad. But indoor staff is great.

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hi, we understand the course is not in its best shape right now, but we are working towards restoring it. We appreciate your patience during this time and hope you will consider coming back soon.

A great track....just not this year.

I’d add an addendum to tmreeds post and say that I’ve never seen ANY course in this bad a condition, certainly not from tee to green. I played a couple courses in WV last year that were about half this bad (due to water restrictions) and they were back to 100% this year. Cooks Creek will be too. I wouldn’t recommend it this year though, at least not with anything other than a hot rate. If it’s down to Cooks or somewhere else....I’d say play the other course.

Commented on 09/13/2019

Hi Kevin, we appreciate your review and realize the course is not in its usual condition, but we are doing as much as we can to restore it. We appreciate your patience during this time and hope to see you in the near future.

Commented on 09/09/2019

Hello, Frankjcv. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Course Conditions

This is one of my favorite courses to play in the Columbus area. Not sure if they had water issues or to much water but I have never seen Cooks Creek in this bad condition. I wish I would have know ahead of time because there is no way anyone should be playing on the course till they get it back to it's normal condition.

Commented on 09/11/2019

Hi, we had a lot of rain coupled with hot weather after which negatively impacted our course. We are working on restoring the course, and hope you will consider returning soon.

Cooks Creek is ill

Let me start by sharing I Love to play Cooks Creek and will again once it renews itself. It has experienced a very high water flooding, very high temperatures and watering systems woes which all add up to the perfect course trajedy... the front nine was unplayable. The back nine was almost the same. The fairway was BAKED as well as airaited. The tees were in horrible shape. I will say the greens were pretty good and fast. We played the back nine twice. Normally this is the premier public course in my opinion in Central Ohio. Not right now and I am confident it will come back, but not this year (2019), which is very disappointing for me. So sad for the folks running Cooks Creek and I hate to share this horrible news...A good lesson to call the course to see how things are going before you book online. If I had known what I ran into I would not have played here. Cart path and rough only...

Commented on 09/11/2019

Hi Dan, we appreciate your feedback. We are working to restore the course, but it is taking some time. We hope to see you back once it heals.

Great layout but course is in really bad shape

We play Cooks Creek fairly often and have always had a great time. Course is usually in really good shape, but not so right now. We were limited to the Back 9 and had to keep carts on the pathways. Many of the holes have little to no grass in the fairways. Understandably, the course fights its location in a flood plain along with uncooperative weather this season which has all contributed to the poor conditions. Praying that CC can come back. We'll return when the course had had a chance to heal & grow back.

Disclaimer regarding "Would You Recommend Course to a Friend" I wouldn't currently recommend it, given its condition. Otherwise, I would recommend....we really like CC

Commented on 09/05/2019

Hi, dmiller217. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Course maintenance of fairways

It's not in their best conditions as the past has been. It just rained on the night before, it's so wet and muddy, not playable at all. Front 9 was closed to play. Fairways were aerated last week and reseeded the fairways recently. Prabaly be ready in a month or so.

Commented on 09/05/2019

Hi, Lee251. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions and projects underway. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Bad fairways

I played this course a few years ago only to come back to read fairways. Evidently water had sat on a majority of the course and there was no grass anymore. We were literally hitting off dried mud. Then u heard they were still charging$50 at the clubhouse and online. That made me upset but for $30 it wasn't bad.

Commented on 08/28/2019

Hi! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Commented on 08/28/2019

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, Frankjcv. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for choosing us!

Needs work!!!

While I have played this course before, late in the season and the leaves were all down and the ponds were dry. This time, the trees were in full bloom, but due to the humid conditions lately, the ponds were dry and the fairways were dryer than a desert and lacked the grass to evwn have a good lye. While it can be a challenging course, it needs plenty of water, reseeding and plenty of care! If you like grass on your course when you play, don't go here........ Once the grass comes back, this is a good course to play.

Commented on 08/29/2019

Hi, Clarence4Par. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

False Advertising

I had booked a round not knowing the conditions of the course and the unfortunate events that the course experienced at the beginning of this season. With that being said, I was charged $15 to book a tee time and when cancelling the tee time I was told that the fee was nonrefundable. I understand the policy, but I don't think it is good business practice not to mention the condition of the course so prospective customers can make an informed decision. Needless to say, I will not be playing this course again.

Commented on 08/29/2019

Horrible

No grass in fairways, thought I was in the desert! They should be giving tee times away for anyone who wanted to play fast, " ball rolling off the greens that you can't read" also minimal food Monday & Tuesday due to lack of play! Weather conditions have ruined many courses this year! Low to no maintenance, prob due to lack of play...if you're looking for a decent course to play, by pass this one!!

Commented on 08/23/2019

Hello Luckydi. Thanks for the review. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Slippin’

I used to love this course. The layout it a lot of fun. And it has some great holes. But today about 90% of the fairways were literally missing grass! It seemed as if they didn’t water them at all this summer. Greens were okay. After 9 holes of giving it a go, I came to the 10th hole to find a group on the box, two groups in the fairway and one leaving green. Today was pretty disappointing again because this course was wonderful to play. Why?

Commented on 08/22/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions of the fairways. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements after taking a hard hit from rain early in the season. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Tough Summer

I've been playing Cooks for over a decade. The Raintree debacle nearly ruined the place, then the last few years have seen steady improvement back under Cook ownership. This year, it appears the weather took a toll. The fairways are completely lost! The gentleman in the clubhouse explained that they were underwater for 10 days earlier this season, and it effectively killed all of the poa that had taken over. What is left are the worst fairways I've ever seen. However, it could be a blessing in disguise. He explained the poa was not the original grass, so in a way the flooding did them a favor and wiped it all out. They plan to reseed this fall, so I'm hoping it bounces back stronger than even next year.

The layout remains one of the best in central Ohio. Let's hope the conditioning at some point will match it. Still had a nice round, all things considered. The greens were in pretty good shape.

Commented on 08/22/2019

Hi, Ozcat. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We understand your frustration with the current conditions of the fairways. Please bear with us as we work diligently to make improvements. We hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

WOW DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME LET ALONE MONEY.

I have played many golf courses in the past 20 years. This is by FAR the WORST shape I have every seen a golf course. Every inch of every fairway is dead and or dried up mud. I was told that the golf course is sold and will not be open next year so they are letting the course go. It’s sad that they are still charging people and acting as if there is nothing wrong with the course. I WOULD NOT PLAY IT AGAIN IF IT WAS FREE. The attached picture is one of the best fairways. We took it joking around that we finally found grass in afairway.

Ashville, Ohio
Circleville, Ohio
Orient, Ohio
Williamsport, Ohio
Grove City, Ohio
Canal Winchester, Ohio

Valid dates: Nov 15, 2019 - May 31, 2020
Conveniently located 20 minutes from the airport, the new We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center features 246 contemporary guestrooms and suites designed with Native American traditions, bold Southwestern cuisine at Ahnala Restaurant, luxurious spa treatments and salon services at the Amethyst Spa and a spacious heated outdoor pool with two whirlpools.
From $1900