Cooks Creek Golf Club

• 16405 US Hwy 23 S, Ashville, Ohio 43103, Pickaway County
  • www.cookscreekgc.com
Write Review

Year built: 1993
Architect(s): Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1993), John Cook (1993), Dana Fry (1993)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire. Collared shirt, bermuda shorts.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Cooks/Black 72 7071 yards 73.7 131
Back/Scarlet 72 6648 yards 71.3 128
Middle/Gray 72 6182 yards 68.5 122
Forward/Green 72 5095 yards 68.2 120

Cooks Creek Golf Club (previously known as Raintree South Golf Club) is bordered by Little Walnut Creek on one side and the Scioto River on the other, providing a scenic setting that is ideal for a round of golf. The course is a certified Audubon Sanctuary and there is also a Blue Herron rookery on site. Opened in 1993, the golf course is relatively young but it has already established a reputation for being one of central Ohio's best public courses. Local architects Michael Hurzdan and Dana Fry designed the course with the assistance of John Cook. Cooks Creek has two completely unique nines that offer two different sets of challenges. The diverse layout requires careful strategy and it will also test your shot-making abilities. With two bodies of water serving as neighbors, water definitely plays a role on the golf course.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include water hazards bunkers elevation changes   Great for drinks watching the game

"Winter@cookscreek"

Dan6813388's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2017

We had a day in the forties with sunshine in December and had to hit the Links. The favorable hot deal from golfnow made it an easy decision. Some of the tea markers were not out. This was not a problem. Some of the traps were alright, but it is December in Ohio. We had a two some and only went through one group and played at a great pace. This is one of my favorite courses in central Ohio...

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 12/26/2017:

Hello Dan, thank you for the five-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience with us, despite the cold weather the other day and that you found our course to be in good shape. Thanks for stopping by, and we'll see you again soon!

"Challenging layout"

Sean7418697's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

Course has improved since the Cook family is back. Worth the short drive from Columbus. We play here every chance we can. Bunkers need some help but it seems most courses are in the same situation. Thanks again to the Cooks!

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 12/09/2017:

Hello Sean, thank you for the five stars! We are thrilled to hear that you found our course to be in an improved condition. Thanks for playing with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

MIchael8793543's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2017

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 12/01/2017:

Hello Michael, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to see that you found our course to be in great shape and that you enjoyed our course layout. Thanks for playing with us, and we hope to see you again soon!

"Fun day"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2017

Cooks is a fun layout.....gives the ability to use every club in your bag. We caught an extremely wet day so just so-so conditions. I have played cooks many times....fun.

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 11/08/2017:

Hi, thank you for taking the time to review us here at Cooks Creek Golf Club in the Ashville, OH area and for the 4-stars. We love to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and apologize for the conditions being average that day due to bad weather. Thank you for recommending our course and we hope to see you back again soon!

"Great Layout"

mdhaley76's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2017

I really enjoyed my round! It had rained the previous day and night so the course was wet and it was cart path only. That didn't diminish the experience. I found the course challenging. There are five tee box choices giving each level of golfer a different look. Had a great time!

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 10/13/2017:

Hello, thank you for giving our course a four-star review! We are glad to hear that the wet conditions on our course did not deter you from having a great round of golf. We are glad to see that you enjoyed our course layout and that you found our staff friendly. Thank you for playing with us, and we'll see you again soon.

"Excellent greens and fairways"

mschwartzw's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2017

Haven't played in 10 years but this course but this course was in excellent shape. Must b accurate off tee to score but fairways are ample to accommodate. Greens rolled well but not too fast. The only negative was too little sand in green side traps. Will play again in near future.

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 10/13/2017:

Hello, and welcome back! Thank you for giving our course, Cooks Creek Golf Club, in the Ashville area, a four-star review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and that you felt the course was in good shape. We appreciate your feedback, and we'll see you on the course!

Golferdan1955's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/27/2017

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 10/02/2017:

Hello Dan, thank you for giving our course, Cooks Creek Golf Club, in the Ashville area, a five-star review! We are happy to see that you had a wonderful experience at our course, particularly in regards to our course conditions and our course layout. Thank you for the review, and we'll see you on the course soon.

hunterstravon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 09/28/2017:

Hi Hunter, thank you for taking the time to review our course and for the 4-stars. We love seeing that the pace of play and course conditions were in top shape and we cannot wait to see you back with us again soon!

"Great shape"

Jim3273714's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

Unbelievable course, would recommend it to anyone.

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 09/25/2017:

Hi Jim, thank you for taking the time to review our course and for the glowing recommendation. We love to see that you enjoyed your round with us and we can't wait to see you again soon!

"Awesome!"

Tom4532056's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

If you want to play on a championship course play Cooks Creek! It’s very challenging and lots of fun!!! It will make a real golfer out of you!

I highly recommend it!

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 10/13/2017:

Hello Tom, thank you for giving our course a five-star review! We are excited to hear that you had a fun time at our course, Cooks Creek Golf Club, in the Ashville area. We are also happy to see that you found our course to be in great shape and that you enjoyed our course layout. Thank you for playing with us, and we'll see you again soon.

"Play this course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

Great layout. Great price. Would definitely play again. Few of greens aerated but price was adjusted for this. A few tee boxes in bad shape but not to bad. Would play again for sure. Friendly and helpful staff.

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 10/13/2017:

Hello, thank you for giving our course, Cooks Creek Golf Club, in the Ashville area, a four-star review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and found our course to be in good shape considering the situation. We appreciate your feedback, and we'll see you soon!

"Great course at a great price"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

This is one of my favorite courses in the columbus area. Beautiful and challenging layout with lots of elevation changes. This course layout requires a lot of strategy in determining what to hit off the tee with many hazards coming in to play with a wrong club selection. FAST greens...even when wet. The bunkers could use a little work in a few areas, but by in large, and outstanding value for hot deals. Regular golfnow rate is reasonable.

Don't forget some extra balls. Shot an 87 yesterday, but have hd many rounds over 100 here. If you're not hitting the middle of the fairway and keeping a cautious eye on the ball, you can lose them easily here...even right around the green.

Response from Cooks Creek Golf Club on 09/21/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Cook Creek Golf Club, and for the excellent review. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the course layout and conditions and cannot wait to see you back playing with us soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

mikesti33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017

Jon6297669's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2017

"Always a pleasure"

jagpilotOhio's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

One of the best course layouts in central Ohio.

On my personal top 5 public course list within 50 miles of Columbus.

Greens fairways and teeboxes are looking good. Many bunkers are a bit thin, but I understand that they are a huge expense and improvements can only be made so quickly on a tight budget. Some crabgrass issues really need to be dealt with in quite a few spots in the rough, but the overall improvements in the year and a half since the change in ownership has been quite impressive.

Keep it up guys. Nice work.

timmynap333's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017

Excellent course, especially for the money.

Fairways and greens were great.

"Glad the Cooks are in charge again"

Satchman13's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017

The course was in wonderful condition. Although there were a number of groups out on the course, pace of play was rather quick. We finished our round in 4 hours 15 minutes. That is a nice time for a Sunday afternoon. Concession prices were reasonable, beverages the same. The greens were just a bit furry in the afternoon, but once you got used to them they were consistent for the whole day. I would go back again knowing Jim Cook is back in charge, but if the course were sold I would not. Good ownership keeps the course in great condition.

"Back to glory"

lomfict74's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

I have played courses all over the country, cooks creek is one of the best values for a top tear course... if you have never played here put it on the list!.. most hole have wide well manicured fairways... some awesome views from the back tees. The greens are receptive to good shots and don't have so much slop that it feels like putt putt... it's a great course and now that the cook family is back in charge I can tell it's returning back to its original glory!

"Staff is rude, had a free-for-all on the course"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2017

The course itself is great, carts are nice and the staff is usually friendly however after playing there several times we did have a problem last night. Turns out that guys who played earlier in the day in a league can just jump right in the middle of the course and play whatever hole they want and can tee off while you are on the fairway . Came upon 15 and three carts full of guys were on the green despite no one being in front of us. After we skipped 15 they were kind enough to let us "play through" (if you call teeing off while we are on the fairway playing through).. We didn't want to cause a scene so we abandoned our game, went to the clubhouse and asked for a rain check since we didn't get to play but half of our game.The girl at the bar was rude and said it is ok for people to just jump in on any hole they want after 6pm even if they had been there earlier playing in league play. I ran into another employee in the parking lot who said that was not the case. I called this morning and asked to speak to whoever was in charge and got the same girl that was at the bar last night. She informed me that there was nothing done wrong and there was nothing she could do. I asked her if she would really lose a customer over 1 round of golf and she said "I suppose so, I'm sorry". I play 3-4 times a week and won't be coming back. Pickaway Country Club will be getting my money in the future as well as my membership next year.