South at Mill Creek Park Golf Course

Mill Creek Metroparks Golf Course
Scorecard for South
Blue M: 71.2/125 450 372 391 516 141 353 193 387 438 3241 426 411 425 144 516 352 391 181 424 3270 6511
White M: 70.3/123 W: 76.5/129 438 363 378 503 124 342 180 372 426 3126 416 399 415 132 506 342 380 173 413 3176 6302
Gold M: 66.6/113 W: 72.0/119 341 330 344 458 109 313 153 324 361 2733 333 358 373 124 451 309 321 129 373 2771 5504
Red W: 71.7/117 338 327 341 455 106 310 150 321 358 2706 330 355 370 121 448 306 318 126 370 2744 5450
Boys M: 62.1/108 227 207 225 382 102 215 72 201 260 1891 249 256 222 124 311 215 235 117 273 2002 3893
Girls W: 62.3/111 227 207 225 382 102 215 72 201 260 1891 249 256 222 124 311 215 235 117 273 2002 3893

Year Built 1930
Fairways Bent grass
Architect Donald Ross (1928)

Clubs No

Metal Spikes Allowed Yes

19th Hole Specials 2
Plays Long 2
Playing Multiple Courses 3

Course was eh. Wet, clumpy grass clippings.

See title. Course was fair to poor conditions. Didn’t have enough time for round, called ahead and was told I’d get a rain check for back nine. Once I was there told other wise. Course was not worth teven the hot deal price. Usually is a great course, was disappointed with it this time
Staff Friendliness Fair
Pace of Play Fair
Off-course amenities Average
Course Conditions Fair
Value for the Money Poor

Great shape

Course was in great shape and greens were fantastic. Pace of play got slowed down towards end of round. Besides that great day
Staff Friendliness Good
Pace of Play Average

Nice Course/Played the North

Got a deal by using my points so the round was very reasonable. This course is also 60+ min from my house. My buddy and I will drive an hour to play a different course at a good price. The course was very well maintained and the greens had been aerated a couple of weeks before we played and they were the nicest greens we had played on all year. Some leaves as it is getting late in the year. Lost 1 ball on the first hole and that was it.

Saturday group

My pals and I have played Mill Creek for 25 years now and Saturday the greens were in the best shape we have seen in years. Traps need a little work but overall it is in good shape. Tight layout with a lot of sand.

Made to perfection in 1927

Still one of the nicest courses in youngstown. Greens are perfect,well sand trapped, with every green with at least two sand traps.The fairways are always in perfect shape,and wide enough for any fade or draw shot.Staff is always friendly and snack bar has great variety of food and drink. Just one of the great things about Youngstown.
Pace of Play Good
Ohio Advisor

Horribly slow play, called it quits on the 12th tee

It was my first time playing at the Mill Creek course, I played the South Course. It is a great looking facility, nice clubhouse, excellent practice facility, and 36 Donald Ross designed holes. I played at noon on a Tuesday, I started the round as a single and joined the threesome in front of me on the fourth hole. From then the 5th hole on, the group in front of us was still hitting tee shots, or even waiting to to hit tee shots on the next hole. On the 12th tee box, after finishing the 11th, there were 3 groups waiting on the tee. The groups 2 groups ahead, still hadn't tee off. There was not a ranger anywhere on the course, but I saw four rangers around the club house in carts, talking to one another and other players, not consider with the speed of play. I know the rangers were around the clubhouse, because I drove back to the clubhouse and left the course at that point. The design of the course is awesome, what you would expect from Donald Ross. Shot placement in crucial, doglegs and bunkers, require you to pay attention to place your tee shot on the correct side of the fairway. On top of the slow play, the course conditions were okay at best. The grass was in good shape on the fairways and rough. The greens were really slow. The slopes did not seem to be extreme enough to require such slow speeds, but compared to most public courses they were slow. I do not complain about bunkers to much because I understand the cost of maintaining them, but most courses attempt to keep up bunkers that would see to get more action. At Mill Creek this did not seem to be the case. All the bunkers, I saw hard and full of pebbles. I will definitely try to make it back, hopefully to play all 36, I hope the conditions and speed of play improve. If would not recommend this course.
Staff Friendliness Fair
Pace of Play Poor
Off-course amenities Average
Course Conditions Fair
Value for the Money Average

Donald Ross gem!!

Drove 1 1/2 hours to play here today with my wife. It is well worth it. I love to walk on a golf course, but as I get older I realize I have to walk flatter courses. This is one of them. Where can you get a Donald Ross designed course for $21.00, NO WHERE ELSE. Back tees are 6500 yards, 6170 from the middle tees. Tees, fairways, and most of all, the greens, were in great condition. Staff is extremely friendly. I have been coming to Mill Creek to play both North and South courses for about 45 years and it is well worth the trip. Please give it a try and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Course Layout Excellent
Greens were in better shape then any course I played all year. Fairways are treelined but still have enough room to work the ball around. If you can stay out of the trees the course plays very well as there's not much to it. Not too many hazards and doglegs. Most holes play straight out and a solid tee shot will set you up for birdie.
Pace of Play Good
Course Layout Excellent

Great Value. Great Shape.

Course was in outstanding condition despite the rain earlier in the day. Greens were disease-free and rolling fairly well but will be phenomenal as they grow in. Bunkers need work is only concern.

Valid dates: Aug 13, 2018 - Dec 31, 2019