Valley of the Eagles Golf Club

Year Built 2017
Architect Nicklaus Design (2017)

Golf Simulator Yes
Pitching/Chipping Area No

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2018 #14)

My favorite course

The course was a bit wet but very playable. Decent pace of 4 hours and people are always nice. Challenging layout and risk/reward holes make it fun to play. I recommend the course to everyone and keeps going back whenever I can. If you have not tried the course, I would definately recommend.

The Valley is Back in Action

The Valley is convenient, and fun to play; the ProShop staff is welcoming (even to us Hot Deals' Specials), the bevCart keeps one hydrated, and weather was perfect this Labor Day Monday. Of course, the new greens & fairways need maturing, and aeration this fall will help the process. I am disappointed the most with the layout's routing, parallel fairways (share the same cart path: #2&11, #6&8), shared TeeBox (#3&12), going around greens to get to next Tee, and needing a 4wd to traverse green to next tee --I couldn't walk this course. I really like the new holes & opened up some great views of the canyon walls; #7 green offers spectacular view of half the course & clubhouse (which is awesome too). Greens are huge compared to the table-tops of old Spring Valley. I need redemption on a few holes, especially #15 I can't play (or finish hole w/same ball), so I'll be back soon.

Great potential

I run a travel league. Brought 20 guys to play course yesterday. After reading some of the reviews I was a little hesitant about driving up from Akron. As with new courses there are some growing pains. Yes a few tee boxes and a few fairways need some time. But overall it was in decent shape. It’s definitely a course you need to play once or twice to know where to hit it. No problems with staff and starter was great. FYI we had no problem finding the 1st tee. Prices were a little higher than we are used to paying but the majority of the guys said they would play it again. I agree that the 9th hole can be a little hazardous tee shot. Bar and food was great and so was the wait staff. Give this course a year or 2 and it will be a gem.

Awesome courde

Great course but no ball washers per hole or garbage cans per hiole.
Again great nickalous course but almost embwrqssong taht jack would approve the conditions of the current courde

Golfing in the Dust Bowl

Dirt cart paths throughout course. Expect to be covered n dirt by end of round. Gas carts and long drives between holes. Rock Hard and many bare spots. Target golf is not much fun when you have to guess if your wedge shot will bounce 10 to 40 yards after it lands. Trying to hit wedge shots around greens is like chipping in a parking lot. Remember Blue Heron's conditions?
Layout: 9 holes in the open with little shade and 9 shaded holes that run along the river.. Those holes are nice but their design becomes redundant: dog legs with straightforward tee shots and then second shots to a wide open green. Not much risk and reward.
Advice to course: Ditch the dirt paths. Either pave or remove, except for tee and green. Aerate the heck out of everything. Grow the rough longer to soften off target shots and allow for wedge shots. Plant some trees around tee boxes on open 9 to create shade for carts.

Fun course

Fun to play and challenging layout. I just keep going back. If you have not played here, definitely try it!

A little wet

The course overall is in good shape. Getting the cart paths more solid will go a long way in making this a destination course. The layout is a bit odd with cross crossing. We were a twosome and paired with another twosome. Which is fine...but there was no one behind us. We ended up splitting up ourselves and the pace was then much better.

Valley of the Eagles?

Public course now open almost 2 years and is a Jack Nicklaus design. Jack would be disappointed in its overall condition. Impressive sign and entrance, then you get to the shabby parking lot. It's unfortunate the parking lot wasn't repaved instead of patched. It would also help if it was relined. Clubhouse is Impressive. Amenities are above average. No outdoor driving range, but does have indoor simulators to warm up or play. Course is a target course. Position off the tee will determine score. Conditions not anywhere near where it should be considering the price. Minimal cart paths and majority are dirt. No ball washers or trash baskets at tees. Small trash baskets at the two igloo water chests on the course. Fairways cut tight, but does have bare and burned out areas. Greens, for the most part role true and difficult to read breaks (which was challenging but fantastic). Noticed ant hole infesti on several of the greens which was disappointing. Typical ground under repair you will see on public course. Most traps in better than average condition. Missing cleat cleaners at club house, so staff constantly cleaning floor. Pricing at Black River Tavern (part of the clubhouse) is moderate to high. Food quality is average. Staffing was friendly. Overall, not up to the caliber you expect for the premium green fees you pay.

Weather Too Cruel to The Valley

First, I'm surprised the course is even open & not flooded after the past week of rain & high tides along Black River. You can tell where the river cut across a couple of fairways, washed out a couple of sand bunkers, prevented many areas from being cut ......thus the rainy season here in Elyria has not allowed this fun layout to shine. Today, the course was surprisingly dry, and nice to see a little roll-out of the ball; carts were not restricted to CPO. The staff is awesome, and service great. The Black River Tavern is really cool, and post-round Jai Alai (Tampa IPA on tap) on patio was enjoyable. Maybe next time I play VoE, course conditions will get my 5star rating, and our Summer will materialize in July & August.

course is not ready

I was playing with a member who is really upset about the course conditions I will not say nothing more but I've taken some pictures that I will let you see. The course I believe was aerated on April 29th but they didn't do any top-dressing so the greens are simply not playable. Moreover the fairways have simply not received any attention and I'm uploading some pictures of the area around the green. Do not play this course at least next year

Medicore, but Poor Service

Came in from out of town and at the recommendation of some family decided to play here. Overall the course has an interesting layout and all holes are challenging. Everything was smooth on check in and the front nine, but from the turn, the service went downhill. The starter and ranger were downright rude and there was definitely the feeling that they catered to locals/members (even more than private courses in the South). This is odd given they are aiming to be a destination course. The greens are still in terrible shape a month after aeration (visibly scarred still) and the middle of the course (which you go through about 4-5 times as you change holes) looks like a war zone, with piles of rubble and rusted out gas tanks. It was cart path only, but the carts paths are dirt/gravel and a few holes don't have them so that made it hard. Overall, it was ok at the spring rate, but I would not return and especially not at the summer rate of $60+. Service needs significant improvement.

Course Needs Some Time

I played here for the first time today, and it lived up and down to some of the previous reviews. The course is visually beautiful with all the river holes it makes you think about most shots, especially off the tees.But, the greens were still full of aeration holes from April 29 th, and were very difficult to putt on. The tees were still a little thin, but the fairways were excellent. The staff was great, I was 30 minutes late for my tee time, but still got right out. I will play this course again, but maybe not this year, it needs more time to grow in.

Played before regular prices kick in

played there a week before also when it was cart path only. This day was still path only. Course seems that they opened to early. Greens were aerated this early. probably could have waited to open in another year. course will be nice when it's all up to par but the regular pricing seems to be high for the area. I don't know if the design has anything to do with it but the price will be the same whether you ride or walk not giving people an option. Someone compared on google to Boulder Creek but I don't think it's on that level yet.

The Valley ........back in Action

The weather has not been kind to The Valley. Their spring plugging of the greens has not healed, and they are still shaggy & bumpy with the holes & sand dressing. The course still wet after weekly rainstorms, and CPO (cart path only) makes for a slow round. The course was very crowded too, so welcome back to The Valley. I am not a fan of parallel (same direction) holes, like 6 & 8, 2&11, especially when they share a cart path; you have to wear your hardhat. You do have to hit quality shots, starting right out with #1 & river running along right side. The views are pretty cool, with the walls of the canyon exposed, the elevation changes, and the river running quick. Nice to play The Valley at good GN rates, but next time will be better .....both conditions & my score.

DO NOT PLAY! Course Not Mature Yet

In 2018 I played this course when it opened to the public, it's still definitely not fully playable yet....maybe in a year or two. The course seems to be still under construction (i.e. too many underdeveloped areas, and bare spot around the drainage areas like they were recently installed). Greens where recently punch April 28th, and they still haven't grown back smooth as of May 12th. They are still charging regular prices without letting golfers know the greens condition on Golfnow. They still haven't updated the course GPS on a National level to be picked up by all devices ....All the money invested in this course seems to be spent on the clubhouse....and the course is busted with low budget outdated 1814 carts that dont even have club covers on the back to deal with rainy conditions...nor a GPS tracker since the course is newer and not updated..A Jack Nicholas design, but a course he would be ashamed to play...RIGHT NOW!

Valley of the Eagles

Nice course and condition was fairly good considering the amount of rain the day before. Undergoing renovations when I was there but it looks like it will be worth the wait when they are finished! Very friendly staff and great food.

Very challenging course but made it a lot of fun

My handicap is about 15 and this course was the perfect challenging for me. First time golfing here and I would definitely recommend to anyone challenge

Played a few times...

So, this review is unique because the day it is asking me to review I didn't actually play.

I have played the course 4-5x at this point. Interesting layout, challenging, some holes that are gorgeous and menacing, and a few easier ones on the back nine to go along with it. New and needs some time to develop and settle in over the next year or two. I would recommend playing it now to enjoy it at a very generous price.

Today - I signed up for an early tee time trying to get a quick 18 on a cold day before I had to go to work. I got a call 30 minutes later and they let me know they had a 1-2 hour frost delay and wanted me to know before I headed out. I ended up not going (I had to work) - but was highly impressed that they a) called, b) gave me a refund, c) cared to let me know and saved me the time.

Each time I go, the service gets better and better. Only thing missing is a driving range to warm up. Aside from that - highly recommend.

Valid dates: Oct 10, 2019 - Oct 31, 2019
Golf Package Special for October starts at $199.00 for 1 or 2 golfers, Monday to Thursday. Golf included for each nights stay. Call 520-577-4092 to add additional golfers to the package.