Fox Hollow Golf Course in Somerville sprawls across acres of rolling woodlands, offering dramatic elevation changes throughout the par-70 layout. Designed by local designer Hal Purdy, the abundant trees and hilly terrain have been deftly incorporated into the course. Originally built in 1967, the golf course was completely redesigned in 2000 to make it more challenging while at the same time improving its playability. Since its renovation, it has garnered a local following but it is still one of the better kept secrets of Somerset County, making it likely that golfers will be able to play the golf course regardless of the day or time. In addition to the course, there is also a practice facility with a grass driving range, a bunkered practice green, and an expansive putting green. One reason Fox Hollow G.C. is a popular choice, besides the enjoyable layout, is the affordability it offers.

Fox Hollow Golf Club

Year Built 1967
Architect Hal Purdy (1967)

Metal Spikes Allowed Yes
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your 5 star review. Looking forward to having you at the facility again sometime soon.

Beautiful course with friendly staff

This course is beautiful and in private-club condition.
The staff is very nice to any golfer regardless you are the member or booking with discount price from golfnow or teeoff.com.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words about our staff and course conditions. Looking forward to having you back again soon.

Unforgiving

The course was in very nice condition and the staff were all very friendly. The rate was reasonable for a Friday afternoon. But I just didn't love the course. It's a tight, tree-lined course with OB everywhere and a few silly holes (like the first - a drive to the right half of the fairway gives you no chance of going at the tiny, well-protected green). There were also a few overgrown trees that definitely block the ideal ball flight off the tee.

I did not like the greens at all; I like quick greens that roll true and I don't mind undulating greens but fast greens that are also severely undulating is a combination I do not like... seemingly good putts can end up 10 feet below the hole because the ball just won't stop on the slope.

I wanted to like the course but I won't rush back.

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your review and honest feedback about the facility. We are glad that you enjoyed the service provided to you by our staff and the course conditions. The track is strategic and tactful making it a challenge for golfers of all skill levels. We hope that you come back and visit us again.

A tough test

The elevations make this a very tough track

There are few flat lies even when hitting the fairways.
Balls tend to run off into the rough even when you think you are in the fairway
Many blind shots as well throughout the course
The greens ran fast. Undulated greens are quite
difficult

Nice day out

Solid option for N.J. public course. Tee boxes and greens in really good shape for late August. Not crowded. Fair prices on food and drinks. Cool bartenders.

Horrible pace of play

I wish I received a refund. There was no ranger to speed up play. We were stuck behind a one some playing behind a one some as they were practicing for a tournament. We kept complaining that they should combine to play so that we could speed up play. They were inconsiderate and would not join groups. I hope I receive a refund as the experience we had as well as the people behind us was horrible.

Commented on 08/20/2019

Hello, thank you for your review. Please email us at info@foxhollowgc.com to further discuss your experience. Thanks!

Always a great experience great layout great pace of play staff is very friendly and helpful! I would highly recommend this course to beginner to advanced golfers!

Commented on 08/20/2019

Thank you so much for your review. We value your feedback, and hope to see you back soon. Have a great day!

Philly Advisor

Rolling hills, water, good views, fun to play. Public course

I was surprised that I’d not heard of this course before. A very enjoyable round. Lots of hole variety, scenery, hills and water. Would be a challenge to walk, which I didn’t do this time. Fairways and tee boxes were in good shape, tough long at times. Greens in shape but a bit slow and pretty consistent. Traps were better than average for a public course. It’s a par 70, but the par 3’s from the blues were a challenge.

That’s about says it. I really enjoyed it and recommend you try it.

fox hollow

nice place. interesting course. good condition
as usual i enjoyed it

Commented on 10/16/2019

Thank you for your 4 star review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back out again soon.

Very fun course. Well maintained. 10/10.

This was a very fun course wrapping around the hills and valleys at the creeks bend. The back 9 can be tricky with a number of fairway bunkers. Well maintained and friendly staff. Definitely worth checking out!

Commented on 08/20/2019

This course has nice greens and fun layout

Course was in good condition and greens were smooth and rolled true. Will definitely play again.

Overall Great Experience

Played Fox Hollow today at 1:20 pm. cart attendants loaded my bag up as soon as I arrived, a nice treat! Dylan was very helpful inside the golf shop. They had their grass tees open on the range. The temperature was over 90 and they had ample amounts of water on the course to stay hydrated with. the ranger came around with a cooler full of cool towels to make sure we were not overheating. The pace of play was 4:02 minutes to play 18 holes. You cannot beat that at any other course around here on a Sunday! My quesadillas were phenomel at the resteraunt! Will definitely be coming back more regularly

Pleasantly surprised

First time playing this course. Pace of play was awesome, greens were ok if people would properly fix ball marks they’d be much better. Some fairways were thin with dirt patches but not horrible. Overall I’d play again for the pace of play alone.

Not an enjoyable day

The course had dry grass cuttings all over, divots not filled in and unrepaired ball marks on every green. The marshals let the four jerks in front of us play as slow as - - - -Never coming back

Commented on 07/29/2019

I'm sorry about your experience. The reviews and guest feedback on the course has been excellent, and re constantly remind people about ball marks and divots. Our normal pace is less than 4:15 so your experience is not the norm. Please give us another shot and please give me a call before you book.

Managing Partner

Why don’t they have water on the course

Come on. Nearly 100 degrees and no water. This is the second time I have played here and no water on the course. Unsat.

Commented on 07/30/2019

Matt - the coolers were EMPTY by noon. Why only one per each 9 holes. Other courses have 2 if not 3 coolers per 9!holes. The igloo cooler never works. You can’t put enough water in a small cooler, and people probably take 2-3 waters.

Commented on 07/30/2019

I am sorry that you had an unsatisfactory experience. That's not our norm.

We offer snacks and beverages after the 4th green, free bottles water at the 5th and 15th tees, more snacks and beverages at the 9th / 10th turn, so normally people find what they need, even on days when we are not running our two beverage carts.

On very hot days we also provide ice-chilled towels, but sometimes they run out in the afternoon, so you may have missed that.

We hope so see you at the course again and that you have a better experience.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reasonable challenging course. Should have more water station on the hot days

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave your 4 star review. We appreciate the feedback and will work to have additional water available for our golfers. Hope to see you back again soon.

Challenging shortly

Never thought that playing a course with less than 6k yards could be so challenging. Lots of blind shots and tricky greens will put your course managment skills to the test! A lot of fun to play

Commented on 07/29/2019

Thanks for coning out. The course is a hidden secret and people don't realize how challenging it can be, with elevation changes and holes that will take every club. It plays to 6,400 yards from the blue tees, which suits most golfers just fine.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed the challenge that our course offers. Hope to see you back again soon.

Hot summer afternoon nice course

The weather forecast was scatter thunderstorm in the late afternoon. The starter gave us a "go" to speed up the play and to finish before the rain. It was nice pace to finish a round 3 and half hour with foursome.

Commented on 07/24/2019

Thanks for your 5 star review! Awesome timing! We're so glad you got to finish your round prior to the storms. Appreciate you coming out and hope to see you back again soon.

Bedminster, New Jersey