Pipestone Golf Club

Dress code: Collared shirt required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Red 72 3700 yards N/A N/A

Pipestone Golf Course is an Arthur Hills design that has been acclaimed as the best public course in the Dayton area. The name of the course comes from blue clay soil that is buried deep in the ground. The native Indians of the area would use it for making pottery and they would call it pipestone. Nestled amongst rolling hills, the golf course offers plenty of elevation changes. The undulating greens and fairways are kept in immaculate condition but they rarely offer a flat lie. The front nine is particularly challenging with several holes that are framed with tress and crisscross over the same creek. Pipestone Golf Course's second hole is one of the toughest with a water hazards and a fairway that is severely sloped right to left.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks

"Pipestone"

Ad166809's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Pace of Play was really slow. Also the members will constantly ask you to play thru which got really annoying.

Pipestone's conditions were great for a round in January.

Staff is always extremely nice.

This course does give you great value for the money. If you are looking for a course to challenge you with scenic views, Pipestone is the place.

I really like the layout of this course. Par 5's can be a bear from the Men's tees. The Par' 3's will make up for it though.

Off-Course amenities are great.

cgcarder's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017

"Extremely over booked."

Ryan6762269's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

It took 6 hours to finish 18. Waited 20 minutes per hole. Had lines at every whole. Terribly disappointed. Will never return.

Commented on 06/16/2017

2. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are saddened to learn of the challenges you encountered and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. We place a premium on our staff’s attentiveness and diligence when it comes to each one of our customers and their individual experiences, for which we are responsible. Our management team has attempted to reach out to you personally via Golf Advisor. We look forward to hearing from you.

Our Sincerest Regards,

Hampton Golf Management

"Worst I've seen at this course, by far!!"

mattfilbrun1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2017

The course was soooo dried out, it didn't make it fun in any way. The fairways and greens were like blacktop. We had to move our balls out of the fairways and into the rough just to get a decent shot. On hole 6, I used a lob wedge to chip over a tree, and it came straight down onto the green, and instead of doing what it should have done (any other green, this shot would have stuck, and probably had backspin), the ball bounced straight up in the air at least 50 feet like it was bouncing off the cart path, and then bounced its way off the back side of the green, bouncing even more in the rough, and landed 50 yards past the green, from a 100 yards out. I've never hit a lob wedge 150 yards. This course was ridiculously dry. I used to love this course, but haven't been for a few years. It is in no way worth the money they charge now. I won't be back.

Our Sincerest Regards,

swolfmd's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Course in good condition but they were actively aerating/ punching the greens which made putting frustrating and took away from what should have been an good experience. There was no mention on Golf Now that the greens where being altered, no discount at the pro shop for playing on punched greens. Had I known I would never have made the trip.

Commented on 06/02/2017

Thank you for the review. It is our goal to provide an experience that exceeds Guests expectations. In this case the greens were being verticut, a bimonthly practice to better putting surfaces. The course was not aerified, which is much more intrusive practice that we make special note of on all reservation systems. I hope you will consider returning to Pipestone soon and experience the great playing conditions we strive to deliver.

PinupPilot's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather

"Great course/poor management"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

We played at 5pm and were told it was open. As soon as we finished the first hole, we waited anywhere from 5-10 minutes between shots. The pace of play was terrible. We didn't get a chance to even finish the 18. They put too many people on too close together and then did not regulate the poor players which caused a chain reaction of waiting.

The course and the staff were very friendly. However, for the price of the course, not looking to play there anytime soon with that pace.

"Again Slow Play"

BusterOneIron's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Play here 4-5 times a year every time the pace of play is slow. On 3-9 Thursday 1pm behind 3 4-somes---- t-shirts, blue jeans, tennis shoes, would not let our group of 3 play through 4 hours 50 min to play.........It's early but do try to speed up play a bit!!!

"Quick 18!"

bsk1023's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016

Played a late round Sunday afternoon, course a little soggy from previous day's rain. Course was in excellent condition and 1st week of NFL meant few golfers on course, got around in 2.25 hours. Staff was excellent.

"Fun course"

Adam4567's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2016

The course was in good shape, greens were great! The staff couldn't have been more courteous & helpful. I enjoy playing this course every time I play it.

"Good Day"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Nice layout. Tough, Arthur Hills designed greens. Course in good shape. Front nine holes cross back and forth near each other a lot but back nine is very spread out and excellent. Greens were good. Staff very friendly -- they need an internet upgrade -- check in process very slow as computers were down. Excellent food in clubhouse and $1 beers on Fridays always adds more fun to the day.

"Pipestone"

iralaw63's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016

Very nice,Dayton area course. Challenging layout. Greens are quick..you'll use every club in your bag

"Perfect place for a group event"

Shawn2342587's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This will be a little lengthy but hopefully helpful if you're planning an event. About a month ago when I started planning a golf outing for our church and was recommended to do it at Pipestone from someone who works there. From the early stages their staff was courteous and informative. Bob pretty much laid out a schedule for me of what would be needed and when. I stopped by the week of the event with a list of questions on how this would go. Bob, Kevin, and Mike pretty much answered every question with, “We’ve got that” or “We can do that”. I was in a little disbelief because this just all seemed too easy.

Our event was scheduled to start at 7:30 for check-in with a shotgun start at 8:30. I arrived 30 minutes early to find our carts lined up in front of the building, someone putting the signs/scorecards on the carts, an audio system already setup to address the golfers, a registration table setup for check-in, range balls prepositioned on the driving range, the dining room setup for our catered lunch, and Bob filling out the information for the prize holes. I was amazed. Bob even remembered we had a person coming with us who wasn’t golfing and had that cart set aside. I also told him in an email we would be pre-buying drink tickets and he had a stack of those ready to go. I couldn’t believe how perfectly this was all going. Just before the event started Bob came out to address the group of golfers and let them know there would be course captains helping them get to their holes.

The event started without incident and the course was absolutely perfect! I was getting comments all morning about how nice the course was and was equally impressed with how many of your staff were driving around making sure everyone was taken care of. We finished just before 1 and came back to the clubhouse. Bob was collecting cards and transcribing the scores to the scoresheet. I checked on the food and saw Mike, who was in charge of catering, off to the side. I asked him how this would go and he assured me they had plenty of food for our group of 33 and would start whenever I was ready. When most of our folks were back we started eating and WOW! The hamburgers/hotdogs/mashed potatoes were outstanding! Over the last three days everyone that has approached me about the even has commented on how amazing the food was! I’ve also had several people come up to me and tell me how impressed they were with my efforts in setting this up. I tell them right away, “Pipestone did it all”.

Pipestone staff were outstanding and a testament to what a quality organization they're running there. Those guys took care of all the legwork and just allowed us to enjoy a beautiful day of golf without a shred of worry. We plan on doing this event every year and I can tell you unequivocally it will be at Pipestone!

Shawn Walker

"Pipestone was great"

Raymond5709260's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2016

Very nice course. Will definitely recommend it!

"Great value!!"

Carndawg9's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

If you're looking for a reasonably priced course that is treated like a country club, this is your spot!! One of most well kept courses I've played recently. Not to mention, the greens are in great shape and extremely fast!!! Great course.

Commented on 06/16/2017

1. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this positive review. At Hampton Golf, we place a premium on customer satisfaction. Receiving positive feedback like yours reinforces the investments we are proud to make in our phenomenal people and systems that we hope ensure the best possible experience for our guests. Thank you again, and we look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Warmest Regards,

"Monday Afternoon"

3334GH's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Staff during check in were very helpful. Food and drink were very good. Course was nice, fairways need a little greening up, but the greens were just fine. It was a great experience and looking forward to a return visit in the near future.

"This course provides a test for your game"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/30/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

The weather was a little tough the day we played but, the course always puts up a challenge no matter the weather conditions. Fairways were in great shape compared to other courses for this time of year. Greens weren't quick as usual due to recent aeration. Overall, fun time and challenging round of golf.

Warmest Regards,

"Great experience"

Jeorge4936270's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2015

Virgil course. Challenging, but not impossible. Staff was great. They seemed genuinely happy to be there.

"Nice track!"

kjcinci's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We really enjoyed this course, great layout, great variety, great condition.

They had gotten a ton of water the night before so it was a bit soggy in places but the course and the greens seemed to cope well. Some bunkers were washed out but that can be expected the day after such a downpour.

We had a bit of bad luck playing the day they aerated but adjusted, cleaned our balls and lies.

I bet their regular course condition is a 5 but today it's a weak 4 due to the wet grounds and aerating.

The greens are fantastic, quick and true, we had a hard time adjusting and many three putts later we got better.. not upset since it was the player, not the greens!

The food and drink was great so was the staff.

EXCEPT for two course workers (who brought the score from an easy 5 to a doubtful 3 on staff.) As we played number 6 they were aerating the fairways up by the green. The worker waved us up, to play, but continued to drive his equipment in front of the green where we were hitting. My brother hit a poor shot and I can understand why. Later we crossed over to where they were driving and as I was addressing my ball he drove past me maybe 10 yards away over and over covering us in a thick cloud of dirt dust as I tried to play. We had dirt floating in our cups. This obnoxious driving continued as we chipped and putted out with absolutely no tact or regard, I'm not on the PGA Tour but COM'N!

Great course though and we'll go back.

"one of area`s best"

scottnapper's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

played back in 2000 was tough then, now is even better!