Virtues Golf Club

• One Long Dr, Nashport, Ohio 43830, Licking County
  • www.thevirtuesgolfclub.com
Write Review

Year built: 1999
Architect(s): Arthur Hills (1999)
Type: Public
Style: Parkland
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Virtues Golf Club (formerly known as Longaberger Golf Club) in Nashport is Ohio's no. 1 public golf course and it's also ranked in the top 75 public golf courses in America. Situated about an hour's drive from Columbus, the Arthur Hills design tumbles across rolling hills, stretching from the ridge top down to the valley floor. Wide, undulating fairways flow seamlessly to immaculately manicured greens bordered by beautiful mature trees. The setting will make you feel as though you've been transported to southern Appalachia. You'll be greeted with stunning panoramic views everywhere you turn. Be careful though because the dramatic slopes make the golf course just as challenging as it is scenic. Multiple sets of tees keep Virtues G.C. playable for golfers of all skill levels but no matter which you choose to play from, a bevy of uneven lies await you.

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include elevation changes water hazards bunkers   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"Still Great but conditions of course starting to decline"

car5608's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2018

1st time I played there this year. It is still one of the best public layouts in Ohio, but course conditions are starting to decline. Most noticeable was condition of bunkers. Lack of maintenance is evident. Grass and weeds starting to grow and they were very inconsistent. Tee boxes looked like they needed some TLC and unfixed divots on greens are going unaddressed and starting to see decline on some of the greens. No Longer 5 Stars.

"play a course like the pros play"

kmathias's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2017

One of the best public courses one can play. Beautiful from start to finish

"Beast of a course"

Skinstowin's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

Booked round through 9 stars of golf, great trip and value.

"Stunning course"

blucky64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

This is 1 beautiful piece of land.played while visiting from florida.pace of play was little slow.i would still highly recommend

"Fun course to play!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2017

The course layout is great, and conditioning is good. The course lacks sufficient yardage markers, and I had trouble pulling it up on my gps because of the name change from Longabergers to Virtues. It is a very difficult course to play for the first time without knowing your yardages.

"Amazing as always"

joemsimmons's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2017

This is the sixth time playing this course this year. I can't get enough of it and it's so beautiful and peaceful great pace of play and awesome lay out! Would recommend to anyone any chance they can get.

"Well Worth the Trip"

DrOldSchool's avatar
Indy Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

The course is located remotely, but easily lives up to its reputation, making it worth the ~30 min trek from I-70/Zanesville to the south, and about 45-60 minutes the Columbus area.

I swung by after reading about it on a whim, and am very glad I did. The course has a fun mix of holes, with a lot of character and elevation change. The greens were fast, even after 5/6 PM. There is room to miss, but if you miss that, you're in for some ballooning scores. From tee to green it's in great shape.

Bottom line, if you have a reason to play it, do it. Look for discount times from the usual online suspects.

"# 1 Public Golf Course in Ohio"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

The course was in excellent condition - the staff was friendly and helpful. This is a must play course if you really like to play extremely good golf courses.

"OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!"

rdkng00's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

Last stop on a 4 day golf trip with my wife thru PA/Ohio...Got a hot deal on golfnow for an 1pm tee time on a tuesday. We got there way early and enjoyed the ambience of a 1st class clubhouse along with a bag of warm up balls. The range was empty and we felt we had the place to ourselves. The starter indicated we could go whenever we were ready instead of waiting till 1..THANK YOU!! The weather was a chamber of commerce day!! sunny..light breeze...temps in low 80's..it does not get any better!!..We had a 4 some in front of us but they played at a good pace and we never had much of a wait on any of the holes...the scenery proved to be a nice distraction(nice rolling hills of SE ohio). The course will accommodate ALL skill levels...as a senior I played the whites and found them to match well to my skill level. This course is top shelf as conditions from tee to green (inc sand traps) was stellar!!!Great fairways and pristine greens made for a day that I wish I could replicate more often..Overall a first class operation including great food and beer that we decided to partake in so that we would not have to leave!!..If you are in the Zanesville area this is a Must do ...just wish it was not a 4 hour drive from my home in Michigan

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017

"Must Play"

Goobs123c's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

A must play, especially for great golfers. Many different tees, so shorter, poor players can enjoy. But if you play from the tips, this course is tough!

No chance they are making enough money on golf to keep this place in the shape that we found it. There must be a fouondation behind it or something.

This course is in the middle of nowwhere, and is spectacular. For $75 each, including cart, it is a reasonable deal.

"Really nice course, but $59 would be a bit much"

Kevin91581's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I played by myself and enjoyed the course very much. It's a really nice course but once again I was a bit disappointed in the layout. Not the course architect's fault really (aside from the subpar bunkers, which mostly seem like wide shallow depressions in the ground with not much sand in them, meaning one often doesn't feel comfortable attempting the kind of swing they would out of a good bunker).

It's just that based on the top 100 public course in the U.S. ranking I would have almost expected to be playing in a national park on every hole, and the par 3's (which really make a course stick out to me) are merely average. It's a really nice course, 4.5 stars normally no doubt. My opinion of the course is a bit of a victim of expectations, I suppose.

Anyways, on to the course. It was in pretty good shape really, other than the handful of fairways that they had aerated and left the plugs sitting in the fairway. I'm not sure why a fairway needs to be aerated OR the plugs left sitting there, but it definitely affects the way you hit and the way the ball rolls/bounces. I would not charge more than $30 (even for this course) if several fairways were in this condition. Otherwise the course was excellent. The greens were fine (even if they liked to have my par putts slide below the hole at the last second, or lip out) and I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of leaves. Can't blame the course for the low sun angle which made picking up the ball difficult to pick up off the club at times. I will definitely be back at some point. Just probably not this year. It's a great course, just not appreciably better than some other courses (Northstar, Ohio State Scarlet, Oglebay Klieves) that I could play for $40 or less, so I don't know that I'd go out of my way to play here if I had to pay more than that, but I'm not really a person who's into spending a lot of money on a golf round, so take that into consideration.

Longaberger/Virtues is definitely in my top 5 courses that I play, but as for the best? It's a strong candidate but it's not a shoo-in. I'd have to know what criteria they used to give it its top 100 in the U.S. status, because I've played other courses that overall I like just as much (such as the dearly departed Winding Hollow).

"Great Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2016

Do not hesitate to book and play this course.

"The Virtue Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Had heard about this course for a long time. My expectations were met and exceeded. Layout is great and very playable. Good challenge from the whites. Greens were true and quick. Each hole is secluded from the others. Nothing tricky, just great golf.

"Downhill"

ajennice's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016

Not the course I remember.

In tne bar,area, I waited 10 minutes to order after I had to get my own menu. After food came asked for bbq sauce for my meal. 20 minutes waiting in that and when I said something my waitress laughed and said "at least I remembered ".

Coursewise it needs some tlc. For the price they charge maybe they should give outgreens repair tools. Every green was just spotted with unfixed ball marks

Park 3 tee blocks were a hit or miss on finding a patch of grass to stand on. Sand buckets on tne tees would help that

I'may glad I got a great price because I felt I was on a 30.00 course most of the day.

"Too long"

Enoch8098739's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016

Beautiful course but unfortunately I'm not a long hitter of the golf ball. Didn't score well at all here. I should've played it from different Tee's

"Golf"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2016

The layout of the course is wonderful. The pace of play, and staff were great. I was very disappointed in the condition of the bunkers and greens. Bought tee times on golf now and it was a great deal. Overall, except for course condition, it was a good experience.

"No wonder it is the best public course in Ohio"

binxgolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I have been always wanting to play at Longaberger (Virtues), but it is a little far. Finally came out on a beautiful 'cool' Saturday afternoon and enjoyed the course. We played blue T and the it is somewhat challenging. The greens are fast and took me a while to get used to. Overall, a great course for playing and FUN!

The pace can be better as some groups were slow and I did not see rangers. Also the sand bunkers can add more sand.

"Exquisite"

TEMPO33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016

Course has fast greens great fairways amazing practice facility.

"This course is nasty"

Tyler6086539's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016

Best public course in state of ohio