Safari Golf Club

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Located adjacent to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Safari Golf Club was carefully carved from mature forests. This tight course is not particularly long, but it has a varied design that appeals to a number of different tastes and skill levels. The layout features tree-lined fairways and water hazards on several holes. There are also strategically placed bunkers lurking treacherously beside the greens. The golf course starts off with a challenging par 4 that features a dramatic drop from the tee to the green. It finishes with two demanding par 4s as well. The 17th and 18th holes both feature a slew of challenges including rolling, tree-lined fairways and tricky stream crossings. Although it presents a formidable test on some holes, Safari Golf Club's hazards are straightforward with no surprises.

"Pace of play not enforced"

MartinBucyrus's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017

Pace of play is not enforced at all. There was a group in front of us holding up everyone. We called the clubhouse to report it and ultimately nothing was done. A half an hour later, while we were still waiting on the teebox... the Marshall came up to our group telling us to pick up the pace??? We explained that it was the group in front of us in the fairway (doing donuts looking for a ball that was lost 20 minutes prior) that was the hold up. When we further pointed out that there was nobody on the next 5 holes and carts lined up behind us they figured it out. They gently asked the group in front of us to please move quicker to which they didn't. After that the Marshall was not seen again.

I understand that this is primarily the fault of the group in front of us, but this course really needs to figure something out about how to enforce pace of play. Every time I've played here when it's busy it has taken at least 5 hours to get through the track. I played earlier in the year when the course was empty and was able to get through in just under 3 hours as a twosome.

Tee sheets are loaded here on nice days. If you don't have +5 1/2 hours to play a round I would look elsewhere.

"Thezoowascalm"

Dan6813388's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2017

There was a short wait for frost to leave the greens. I had the opportunity to be the first of the tee and played alone, which was my personal preference. The day was cool with little wind and scattered sun shine. The added bonus was a great golfnow $ with a bonus $ to boot. The staff was very cordial. A 2 1/2 hour round with new clubs for laying at my own pace on a very enjoyable course is a true delight....

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

"Course in good shape, but lacks pace management"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

It was a beautiful day for golf, probably the last of the season, which would explain why the course was packed. I have played a plenty of packed courses, but Safari REALLY needs to be more proactive with the ranger's managing the pace.

My group had to leave after 15 holes and 5 HOURS had passed. We all figured 5 hours would be plenty of time to get a round in before our evening obligations, however we were on pace for a nearly 5:45 minute round.

It's a shame because the course is in good shape, and a great price, but it's just not worth sitting around all day wishing someone would get the golfers in front of you moving!!

Course Layout: Poor

"3+ hours to play 9 holes."

Amtsberg01's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

Left the course after playing 9 even though I paid for 18. Was amazed when the guy in the clubhouse kept squeezing in additional walk up golfers knowing the pace of play (which he told several golfers when taking their $). Only play here if you are a non golfer just learning the game.

"Sloooooooooooow"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

The course was wet but not sloppy but still cart path only. The overbooking of tee times, cart path only and absolute refusal of the ranger to do anything turned a beautiful day into tortureous 6 hour round.

Zach2644301's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

"Popular Course But..."

reaparkfan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

I enjoy playing this course but I find the 18th hole less than enjoyable for an average golfer. With the creek passing through the fairway 3x the landing areas are difficult to hit. Better marking might help or putting in a culvert might help. Otherwise, the course is very enjoyable to play and the amenities (driving range, practice greens, etc) are very nice.

"Safari"

Roman1537359's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Played the course many times and it is usually in good shape, as it was this week. The man in the pro shop was unpleasant and rude. I was unexpectedly charged a $8 "spectator fee" for my special needs son who did not play, just rode the cart. I paid to ride but I was walking - effectively paid twice for one person to ride. Apparently, this is their policy due to liability - I found out the next day from the manager after i raised the issue. Because the crass man (and this is a euphemism) in the pro shop I will never be back

"Not worth the time or money"

WilliamF39's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2017

Once again, Safari let me down. I continue to keep giving this course chances, and the problem is always the same. PACE OF PLAY is absolutely terrible. Starter allowed an elderly single woman (with no tee time) walk directly on the tee box in front of us. Back in May, same thing happened, with a father and his two young sons, who once again had no tee time. They cram their tee sheet 6 minutes apart while also allowing walk-ups. Inexcusable. They have to fix their pace of play issues. Stood on every tee box for 10+ minutes, on a MONDAY, at 10am. Never coming back.

"Decent but could use improvement"

Emork's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Very decent and fun course although repetitive at times when you're simply going back and forth. Yardage is very poorly marked and several fairways hadn't been mowed in quite some time. Greens are incredibly inconsistent.

"Beautiful course in Powell"

toddmar's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2017

Fun course. Unfortunately it took over 5 hours to complete the round. There are supposedly rangers to keep up pace of play, but we never saw them. Course was in good shape but the pace of the round kind of ruined it.

"Nice"

dkommer's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

A perfect day for my first outing of 2017. Having never played this course I met a colleague and we enjoyed the day. Everyone on the course--employees and patrons--were friendly and upbeat.

However, I found the course to be a bit ragged. The grans were rough and the rough was very, very long. Lots of trees (is the good or bad? You decide) Pretty straight course and not much undulation.

All-in-all, I'd play the course if I it shows up as a "hot" deal, but it is too pricey for the quality. I paid $21 for a senior rate for 9 holes with cart. For this area there are better courses for less.

Commented on 05/01/2017

Not sure what course this guy played......I play in a league at Safari. There is plenty of undulation (central OH) and the course (other than greens that were aerated this spring) is in pretty good condition. Oh and I play to a current 4.6 GHIN handicap.

u736332011's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

Great course, great layout. Fairways could have been cut a little lower, but ok. The greens were airated and packed as usual. They had grown in, and rolled smooth, but were hard as a rock. Had to hit shots 5 yards short if possible in the front, so you could keep it on, or close. That will get better. Great place to play!!

u200936915's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

WIlliam4807118's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017

"Great course for a great value"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

This course gets better every year. One of the best value plays in Columbus considering how good the course is. It's challenging enough for the average golfer. It's well maintained and the staff is always friendly. This round I rated the course a little lower because they just aerated (which I'm aware is needed) so the greens were not in good shape and not fun. But that being said, they did let us know about ahead of time and we got a discounted rate because of it. This course will be in excellent shape come later spring and summer play. I will be back soon!

Commented on 04/06/2017

Thanks for the review. Was planning on playing here Saturday morning with my father being in from out of town.

I contacted them and they let me know they have been aerated 2 weeks ago. Were the greens close to fully recovered?

Thanks!

Andekl001's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

"Safari fun"

uKZLU4346KZ's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Since the zoo got involved, this has become my local favorite. Consistently in shape and a fun yet challenge for my skill level.

"Aeration"

wosmeyer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I should have known that the rate was discounted for some reason. The greens had just been aerated, and putting conditions were terrible. Other course conditions were fine.