Formerly known as Marcellus Golf Club and Links at Sunset Ridge.

Sunset Ridge Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass
Architect John Yuhas (1998)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New York (2018 #23)

What a difference a Day makes!!

My previous review of my experience yesterday was based on being treated kind of carelessly. I went back to play the next day and what a difference! The young man greeted me and was very welcoming as he saw I was a single made sure I wouldn't run into league. This is the way I've been treated there 99% of the time. Maybe I was a little to sensitive under my emotional conditions.
It doesn't change the fact that this is one of the best courses in the area. As always I will continue to recomend.

Must be a rough year!

I've was extremely disappointed today.
I know Sundays are busy, so to my surprise the 1st tee was open.
I ask if I could get out the guy said sure. I played 4 holes, on the fifth hole there were 3 groups sitting and waiting to hit. So as a single player I looked for a open hole.
It was jammed! No marshall.
When I went to get a rain check for tomorrow the guys said it wasn't raining! The he divided my greens fee by 18 subtracted 4 and gave me the difference. Then told me they had a tournament out also. This is the kind of "we don't care attitude" that closes courses. I am going to stop recommending this courses. And stop playing there.
I've play all over. Played there about 10 times this year. They know it.
I'm not sure why he had to rag on me.
Told me I should have brought someone with me. I ignored it. I lost my wife to cancer 6 months ago.
This is the 1st year that I have to play single. It makes me feel closer to her..

Commented on 09/10/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. We're very sorry to hear you may have had a poor customer experience with us recently, and we appreciate your feedback so we may work on improvements for your future experience with us. We are sorry to hear about your loss and always want you to feel welcome here. Thanks for visiting Sunset Ridge Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Great Layout... Worst Tees I've even seen

Played a tournament there recently, I hadn't been there in a while and heard the new owners turned it around. Most of the place is in decent shape, but they are by far the worst tee's Ive ever seen. Some have more dirt then grass, holes everywhere that arent filled in and it doesnt seem like they are seeding them at all. Several we not mowed low at all either. Someone would be fired if I owned the place. They also are not level at all, so it makes your tee shots tough. They have 3 or 4 tees per hole and just need to close them off and redo them, they are a real turn off for what could be a great course. Other then that its a great layout and fun, greens are tough and fast, but have spots and damage in some areas. Im just not sure they realize you can purchase grass seed and plant it it to grow new grass....

Commented on 09/04/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give Sunset Ridge Golf Club another try in the near future.

Fun Layout, Decent shape, Not very busy

Fun place to play, you can hit all the clubs in your bag. Some risk reward holes, reachable par 5's and some challenging par 3's. Greens are tough and fast but hold, ease of the round depends on the pin positions because are very tricky and lots of break and very fast downhill.... some of them on this day were questionable. Fairways were decent, certainly could have been cut shorter and could use some overseeding. Rough was manageable but lots of clover and weeds that should be killed. some tees were in really rough shape and make the place look worse then it really is, I dont know why they arent using some fast growing seed and watering and leveling them. Range was the same way, looks like it gets lot of practice play and not seeding, leveling and mowing. Good beer selection, good food. Course could be really exceptional if they fix up the tees and do some work where needed.

Sunset Ridge

A very fun golf course, tough greens. Good green speed with lots of slope. We had a nice dinner on the deck overlooking the golf course. I will be back soon to play another round

Hope New Owners Finally Figure It Out

Played this course many times over the years and sadly it never got better as far as the overall course conditions....cart paths always the same rock/dirt paths. Bunkers with awful sand and ponds that look like crap.....Parking lot has never been paved and is a dust bowl...don’t bring a nice clean car there...Tee boxes need some work. Greens are fast and very indifferent but it is what it is... It would be great if they could at least pave the paths all the way out on 1/9/10 ...it would look amazing from the deck if this was done...I’ll come back this time next year in hopes there’s some changes...

back again

I have played this course before. It can be challenging. Especially now with the rain we have had in CNY. The rough was long and unfortunately I found it too often. Greens seemed to run fast, then slower. The grounds crews are working feverishly to mow, but it has been tough for them to get around to some places. I will return again.

Met expectations

Played another course the previous day which had substantially slipped in the past 12 months, I was looking for a course which was as in good condition as possible. I found it in this course in all ways. Only regret is that I could not return the following day for a re-do, since we had to go back home to CT. Will definitely return next year.

Fun course that still challenges you

Welcoming staff. Beautiful day. Challenging holes that still offered abundant chances to score. I would definitely play again if in the area.

Course going through a transformation

A friend and I wanted a good place to play while vacationing near the finger Lakes and well it just seem like we could’ve picked a better course they’re under new ownership and they’re trying to get it back together the greens are U.S. Open conditions and the fairways are choppy and have a lot of weeds

Response from on 06/29/2018:
Hello Andrew, on behalf of Sunset Ridge Golf Club staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

The course is well maintained. As it has been so dry out, our shots sometimes disappeared on us due to the extra bounces and rolls. The shot would go in the fairway but end up in the woods. So lack of rain or sprinklers seem to harden the ground causing the ball to bounce and roll out of control.

great course

Unique in that there are 3 par 3's, 3 par 4's and 3 par 5's on both the front and back nine. Watch out for the ravine on the back though!

Must Play

This is one of the most challenging, well kept courses in the Syracuse Area. The Greens are Fast and consistent. Tee boxes are in great shape.
If there is a negative the cart paths could use some Love. They need stone and or some leveling. That didn't stop my wife from shooting 95, she beat me pretty good! Lol!

Welcome Back!

After too many owners, the course is now open again. The course has always been challenging, but good. Greens were a bit bumpy, but that was due to the spring aeration and will soon be smooth again. Staff were TERRIFIC as I had to change my tee time at the last minute and they got me in - with no hassle. Unique course in that it has 3 Par 3's, 3 Par 4's and 3 Par 5's on both the front and back nine. Really cool!

Response from on 05/16/2018:
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us with your feedback. We are sorry about the bumpy conditions, and we appreciate your understanding. We are happy to see that you had a positive customer experience with us and we hope to see you back soon!

symmetry

This is a very interesting golf course. There are 3 par 3's 3 par 4's, and 3 par 5's on both the front and back 9. There are plenty of challenges, especially if one is unfamiliar with the course. Water hazards (obvious and hidden - hole #8), sand, and some trenches to avoid. The greens have always been in VERY good shape and I have complimented the grounds crew about their good work.

The course has changed hands a few times now in the last few years. This coming year (2015) it seems as though they have significantly raised their prices ($30.00 for 18 w/cart). You will want a cart though. There are some holes that are a bit hilly.

06a4d248-6367-5dc8-935e-adc6a28cf249
Commented on 11/11/2015

Thanks for the great review! We're glad to hear of a fun and challenging round. We do work hard to keep those greens looking great, we hope we'll be seeing you again.

Marcellus, New York