Type Public/Municipal

Formerly known as Sand Springs Golf Course.

The Canyons at BlackJack Ridge

Year Built 1958
Architect Floyd Farley (1958) Randy Heckenkemper

Dress code Proper golf attire.

A legend in need of attention

Ask anyone around town what their favorite public course is and while they may not immediately say “sand springs” or “goat hill” or “the canyons” or any other of the myriad names it goes by, they will all tell you it’s the most fun. The layout unique. Every hole is an adventure. The value is off the charts. The views of downtown are second to none. I played at the end of summer and the course was in good shape. The fairways had few dead spots though several of the greens were fried. Also a couple of the tee boxes were just sad. Unfortunately, that was the case with #12, the signature hole. The tee box I played from was wet uneven and didn’t have any grass on it. The underbrush has grown so out of control in the hill of 12 that you couldn’t see the green which means you don’t get the joy of watching your ball fall from the sky in goat hill.

The complaints with the course are largely the same as they ever are. One restroom and only on one 9...and it’s a disgusting port-a-potty that I’m pretty sure has never been cleaned. No bev cart. No water in the course. The pro shop has a laughable supply of goods. And the remedial snack shop is a joke. They keep the beer under lock and key and only offer a handful of options...including $2 snack crackers (quite the bargain ::eye roll::).

The biggest complaint comes from there not being a Marshall. We got there about 20 minutes early and the guy in the pro shop “tried” to get us off early but ultimately refused. I took this as a good thing. They respected the palace of play, I assumed. And for the front 9 that was largely the case. Then, for some reason they let a twosome jump in front of us on 10. As we approached the tee box, so did they. And they never apologized or seemed to give a crap. They had no business being in the golf course. The kind of guys that take 10 practice swings, duff it, take a few more post-duff practice swings, convince themselves they could have done better, drop another ball, and Duff it even worse. They sauntered from shot to shot and never offered to let us play through despite having met them at the tee box on multiple holes. The lace of play went from great to log jammed behind these yokels. We were riding their backsides immediately but then the 3 foursomes behind us stacked up. And to make matters worse, the foursome behind us grew impatient and started driving into us, driving the ball past us on 3 separate holes. So we had slow-as-molasses yahoos in front of us, and impatient guys behind us taking their frustration out on us. And all of this because the starter who refused to let us tee off 20 minutes early let the twosome jump in front of us and start on 10.

It’s a shame to see the clientele the course now attracts because it could really be a gem, but when you’re surrounded by people who don’t care about the game, they’re just happy to be away from their families and drinking on the course, it really tarnishes the experience.

Commented on 09/19/2019

Hello tbigity. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We appreciate your thoughtful review and are glad you consider The Canyons At Blackjack Ridge one of the most fun layouts in the area. We will use your comments about this specific visit to improve for the future. Thanks for visiting us!

paid 33 for play & found out that senior cost was 26

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hi swaustin. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. If you feel you paid an incorrect amount please reach out to our team in the shop and we will see what we can to to help you out. Thanks for visiting The Canyons At Blackjack Ridge. We hope to see you again in the future.

JeffL

Beautiful layout and scenery. Short and somewhat challenging, especially if you have never played there. I thoroughly enjoyed course and would highly recommend to anyone in the area to play.

Favorite course in this area

I absolutely love this course as there is no other course like this around at such h a good price.

Fun in the hills

Lots of climbing up and down but a lot of fun too.

Great Value!!

Challenging course with a lot of varying elevation. Enjoyed this course and couldn’t beat the price. Recommended.

Great course with lots of personality

Always a pleasure to play the Canyons course. There are hills cliffs, creeks, ponds..and a super view of Tulsa on several holes.

The course has a great layout

Pace of play is ridiculous. Backed up 2–3 groups deep on on the 10th tee. It would have been a 5 hour round, had to leave on the 13th hole, had other things to do that day.

Pretty fun course

I’ve played golf ever since I was in middle school and had only ever played my local course. I have started expanding and this course was recommended and did not disappoint. The conditions weren’t optimal we have had a ton of run so pretty sloppy fairways. But not the courses fault. Overall it was a great course look forward to coming back and awesome scenery.

Awesome

One of the best kept secrets in the Tulsa area if you love golf!!

Golf at Sand Springs

I had a great time playing this course the staff was friendly as well as everyone I ran across. Greens were in great conditions and the fairway in good shape for this time of the year. Will be back soon.

Awesome

This course is one of the best kept secrets in the Tulsa area if you love golf this course should be on your play list

Exquisite Course

I love this course. The greens played really fast on 3/18/19. The greens were not forgiving, but I enjoyed the challenge. The course difficulty along with the greens difficult lead way to shooting over par on most holes. When they slow down the greens it will be more favorable to the players. I love this course

Valid dates: Dec 01, 2019 - Mar 01, 2020