View of the 18th hole at The Canyons At Blackjack Ridge

Type Public/Municipal

Formerly known as Sand Springs Golf Course.

The Canyons at BlackJack Ridge

Year Built 1958
Architect Floyd Farley (1958) Randy Heckenkemper

Dress code Proper golf attire.

Bar, Grill

Plays Twice a year

Good Times

Had a great time lots of friendly golfers. I’m kinda new to the game so we let people play through a little bit, but had a great time!

Best kept secret

This course is the best kept secret in the Tulsa area and one of my favorite all time courses period

Need course marshal

Due to winter temps and wet fairways the course was cart path only. That wasn’t the problem. The foursome two holes in front of us were so slow The people in front of us just skipped around them as well as players behind us. We were on their tails the entire back nine and waited for them To tee off no less than four times and they wouldn’t let us play through, and they were driving strait to their balls. I did ask them if they could speed up the pace.... their response .... we’re not that good. They could care less about the pace of play Or golf etiquette. In the past, I would have recommend this course. All four of them were quite rude!

Commented on 01/21/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review The Canyons At Blackjack Ridge. We are sorry to hear you may have had a negative experience with any individual on our staff. This is not acceptable and by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We welcome any further feedback as to why you gave 1 star and what we can do to improve.

Fun course

This is a very fun course, but wouldn’t want to play it every day. The layout is a little bizarre, and there are quite a few blind shots. They are undergoing major renovations to the club house and changing the greens to a different type of grass. A few of the greens had some crater spots in them, but overall they were in decent enough shape. Some of the greens are pretty diabolical as well. If you put yourself on the wrong side of the hole good luck. I’ll be excited to see what the new greens are like when finished. Overall, it’s not the nicest course in the area, but it’s one of the more fun courses in the area and definitely worth playing a few times a year.

Good course- greens in poor shape

Love the course but the greens were not is good shape.
The course was not crowded for the front 9 but we caught up with a group of 6 on hole 10 so we played front again.

They’re remodeling the clubhouse, so no extras, but still a great course. I was informed they’re shutting down March thru July next year, so get out and play this course before the changes. I’m sure the changes will be great.

Nice and getting better

Looking forward to the 2020 improvements. 2 million (1 on the clubhouse, 1 on the course). See you again after the renovations. Keep up the good work!

Fabulous Fall

I had no idea this course location could take you out of Oklahoma. Beautiful hills & colors.

Less than perfect

Rain made fairways and greens soft got very little roll from drives or chip shote.

Nice views

Course was beautiful, reminded me of Branson courses. Pace of play was very slow and no Marshall to speed things up.

Great Day of Golf

From the pro shop to the end of the game everything was perfect. The starter paired me with two local players who coached me around the course. Beautiful layout with great views of Tulsa. Wish I lived in the area to be able to play this course more often.

A legend in need of attention

Ask anyone around town what their favorite public course is and while they may not immediately say “sand springs” or “goat hill” or “the canyons” or any other of the myriad names it goes by, they will all tell you it’s the most fun. The layout unique. Every hole is an adventure. The value is off the charts. The views of downtown are second to none. I played at the end of summer and the course was in good shape. The fairways had few dead spots though several of the greens were fried. Also a couple of the tee boxes were just sad. Unfortunately, that was the case with #12, the signature hole. The tee box I played from was wet uneven and didn’t have any grass on it. The underbrush has grown so out of control in the hill of 12 that you couldn’t see the green which means you don’t get the joy of watching your ball fall from the sky in goat hill.

The complaints with the course are largely the same as they ever are. One restroom and only on one 9...and it’s a disgusting port-a-potty that I’m pretty sure has never been cleaned. No bev cart. No water in the course. The pro shop has a laughable supply of goods. And the remedial snack shop is a joke. They keep the beer under lock and key and only offer a handful of options...including $2 snack crackers (quite the bargain ::eye roll::).

The biggest complaint comes from there not being a Marshall. We got there about 20 minutes early and the guy in the pro shop “tried” to get us off early but ultimately refused. I took this as a good thing. They respected the palace of play, I assumed. And for the front 9 that was largely the case. Then, for some reason they let a twosome jump in front of us on 10. As we approached the tee box, so did they. And they never apologized or seemed to give a crap. They had no business being in the golf course. The kind of guys that take 10 practice swings, duff it, take a few more post-duff practice swings, convince themselves they could have done better, drop another ball, and Duff it even worse. They sauntered from shot to shot and never offered to let us play through despite having met them at the tee box on multiple holes. The lace of play went from great to log jammed behind these yokels. We were riding their backsides immediately but then the 3 foursomes behind us stacked up. And to make matters worse, the foursome behind us grew impatient and started driving into us, driving the ball past us on 3 separate holes. So we had slow-as-molasses yahoos in front of us, and impatient guys behind us taking their frustration out on us. And all of this because the starter who refused to let us tee off 20 minutes early let the twosome jump in front of us and start on 10.

It’s a shame to see the clientele the course now attracts because it could really be a gem, but when you’re surrounded by people who don’t care about the game, they’re just happy to be away from their families and drinking on the course, it really tarnishes the experience.

Commented on 09/19/2019

Hello tbigity. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We appreciate your thoughtful review and are glad you consider The Canyons At Blackjack Ridge one of the most fun layouts in the area. We will use your comments about this specific visit to improve for the future. Thanks for visiting us!

paid 33 for play & found out that senior cost was 26

Commented on 09/23/2019

Hi swaustin. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. If you feel you paid an incorrect amount please reach out to our team in the shop and we will see what we can to to help you out. Thanks for visiting The Canyons At Blackjack Ridge. We hope to see you again in the future.

JeffL

Beautiful layout and scenery. Short and somewhat challenging, especially if you have never played there. I thoroughly enjoyed course and would highly recommend to anyone in the area to play.

Favorite course in this area

I absolutely love this course as there is no other course like this around at such h a good price.

Fun in the hills

Lots of climbing up and down but a lot of fun too.

Jenks, Oklahoma