A view of the 2nd hole at Silver Lake Golf Course

Silver Lake Golf Course sits along Staten Island's North Shore, offering a scenic and challenging layout that is one of the five boroughs' best-kept secrets. The course has a classic layout with postage stamp-sized greens and narrow fairways. At just over 6,000 yards from the back tees, the golf course appears shorter than it plays. The tight layout demands accuracy throughout especially on the lengthier holes, of which there are several. The course offers interesting risk-reward opportunities and holes 12 through 14 are considered by locals the "Amen Corner" of the North. The entire layout will test your shot-making abilities. In addition to the challenging round, Silver Lake is known for having consistently excellent conditions with some of New York's best greens, which is why it has garnered a strong following among local players.

Silver Lake Golf Course

Year Built 1929
Architect John Van Kleek

7 hours for 18 holes... Worse pace of play in my life...

Pace of play was horrendous. We started our tee time one hour late as there was so much backlog. Then it was waiting shot by shot. We were 4 and 2 x 6 in front of us. It took us more than 6h to finish + 1h delay to start = 7h of my weekend gone. Painful! I think it is on days like this that people decide to give up golf...

Golf course is nice. Holes are very near each other especially at the start so watch out for balls flying from everywhere. It gets better later.

Staff was fine but barmaid was extremely rude and not happy to serve ladies. She would ignored us when we tried to order at the bar then slam our order on the counter. We didn't feel welcomed at all.

Sad history fact point, part of the golf course was actually a tomb for thousands of Irishmen during the famine. That maybe explains the bad vibes we got when we got there.

The only great point was the Free shuttle from ferry to golf. Great for the carless NYorkers. My friend forgot her phone in the shuttle and the very nice driver was wonderful at helping us return the phone in Manhattan via a patron. Thank you!

Commented on 06/26/2019

Hello, DREENIZ. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and to best control pace allowing everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve, and we are glad to see you rated the course to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Good condition, way too crowded - 6 hour round

Course was in good shape with only a few exceptions but the backup was out of hand. Teed off about 40 minutes late with carts lined up at the 1st tee, and hit several "logjams" including one par five where we waited over 30 minutes from last green to our tee shot. There was a big group outing going on, but it doesn't sound like this was anything out of the ordinary.

Commented on 06/26/2019

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. We are glad to see you rated the course conditions and layout to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 06/26/2019

Hello, Dbradley718. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Commented on 06/26/2019

Thank you for visiting us at Silver Lake Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

TEE TIMES??? hahah... good luck

6.6 HOUR ROUND WAS NO SURPRISE. Yes, public course, got it, but literally showed up with our foursome and a tee time on a Saturday morning and was told “there’s a line, come back in half an hour.” Show up half an hour later to hear the lady at the cash register tell multiple twosomes without tee times “just get in line on the first tee and we’ll get you on there.” Decent course but literally there’s no tee time system it’s just a lineup like a Wal-Mart check out line. Good luck.

Commented on 07/15/2019

Hello. Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and to best control pace allowing everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve, and we are glad to see you rated the course conditions to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 06/26/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Avoid Silver Lake

I spent $200 for a foursome today and got about a $25 experience. The back nine, especially, was terrible. Worst drainage ever. Crews on the holes 14, 15, 16 with zero regard for golfers. No drinking water on any tee box. It had rained overnight and was cart path only but there were no holes without muddy footing. Other NYC courses can handle that amount of rain, no sweat. Disappointed.

Commented on 05/30/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Silver Lake Golf Course. We hope to see you again in the future.

A Joke

I’m currently on the course and just finished a 3 hour 9 holes after starting 20 minutes after our tee time.

Apparently the course has a tournament of 90 golfers out today. It’s disappointing they would choose to do this on a Sunday morning and even more disappointing that they didn’t alert us when making the tee time.

This course has the worst pace of play out of the city courses and no one seems to care.

Commented on 05/30/2019

We love hearing from our golfers, but we apologize for your negative experience. We are happy that you took the time to leave us some feedback so we can improve in the future. We hope to have you back.

Fun on The Island

Made the hort trip from NJ and it was well worth it. Nice hilly layout with lots of mature trees lining every fairway. Shorter layout keeps things fun...the trees add challenge.

Commented on 07/22/2019

Hi, EdMelee. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Silver Lake Golf Course.

Goiod golf course but now needs TLC

This course is a really good course with a nice layout, Ther's water in play, tee shots uphill, doglegs, elevated greens, forced carries. Course has all, but needs upkeep. Don't play after heavy rains, fairways get very very wet.

Commented on 07/22/2019

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back! Thanks for playing at Silver Lake Golf Course.

What a challenge

I played with (and am writing this review from) my friends account who used to play at Silver Lake all the time. We play a similar style course (minus the elevations) back home in Orlando and he’d been telling me for years about how this place is even tougher. He was entirely right. It’s totally fair, has opportunities for all types of scores and is one tough bout between you and the course. It felt entirely unique and nostalgic. I want to come back just for another shot at it. The weather could not have been better and the staff was fantastic. I hit some of my best shots, and missed some of my easiest putts. I want to fight it, but that’s only because I know we love each other.

Good course but slow at back nine

I like The course layouts. There are many uphill and downhill. The pace is fine for front nine, but, not for back nine. It was so slow. The conditions of the course is just fine. I did not notice, but, the guys play with me told that the water tank is empty or not available at most of the holes. No one came to sell the drinks. But, the staffs were very friendly.

Great city course!

Found out about this course early this season. Have played it 6 times now. It seems like a hidden gem. Tee times are not as packed like the rest of the city courses and the layout is extremely fun. My brother and I are making this our new go to course for the summer for sure. The food is great as well and priced fair. Nothing but good things to say about this course. The staff is extremely nice as well. They have a shuttle from the free ferry. Definitely worth it! Also as a bonus a cute looking dog hangs around the pro shop sometimes.

One of the best in the city!

Found out about this course early this season. Have played it 6 times now. It seems like a hidden gem. Tee times are not as packed like the rest of the city courses and the layout is extremely fun. My brother and I are making this our new go to course for the summer for sure. The food is great as well and priced fair. Nothing but good things to say about this course. The staff is extremely nice as well, above and beyond expectations. They have a shuttle from the free ferry. Definitely worth it! Also as a bonus a cute looking dog hangs around the pro shop sometimes.

Only Play If There’s a Hot Deal

My tee time was 1:13 I arrived at 1 , was not allowed to check in ....why? Nobody is even on the first 2 holes. No wonder this place always gets backed up. I found a hot deal and played because it’s literally 5 min from my house. They should be ashamed to charge over $30 at ANY time to play here. Hole #9 is still atrocious and will be the reason why I don’t play here anymore. It’s always muddy! The greens were also aerated which I should have been notified about because then I wouldn’t have booked here. THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THIS COURSE! They need new management!

Bayonne, New Jersey