Silver Lake Golf Course sits along Staten Island's North Shore, offering a scenic and challenging layout that is one of the five boroughs' best-kept secrets. The course has a classic layout with postage stamp-sized greens and narrow fairways. At just over 6,000 yards from the back tees, the golf course appears shorter than it plays. The tight layout demands accuracy throughout especially on the lengthier holes, of which there are several. The course offers interesting risk-reward opportunities and holes 12 through 14 are considered by locals the "Amen Corner" of the North. The entire layout will test your shot-making abilities. In addition to the challenging round, Silver Lake is known for having consistently excellent conditions with some of New York's best greens, which is why it has garnered a strong following among local players.

Silver Lake Golf Course

Year Built 1929
Architect John Van Kleek

not a top choice

Poor organization and pace of play. Completely overbooked the tee times. We ended up teeing off almost 40 minutes late despite being there 20 minutes early and it ended up being a 5.5 hour round.
The greens on holes 1-9 were in horrible condition. It was like putting on the beach, just completely destroyed. I actually have no idea why GolfNOW doesn't have a warning for damaged greens for this course. This course is now referred to as the Staten Island Dump.

Response from on 09/17/2018:
We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.
Response from on 09/05/2018:
Thank you Kwong18 as we appreciate your 4-star rating and review. It is great to see you had an enjoyable time on the course and we hope you join us for another round soon here at Silver Lake Golf Course in New York.

Best course on Staten Island

Best hazards. A lot of hills. Course conditions are well kept and friendly staff.

Response from on 09/05/2018:
Thank you daateef1 for the 5-star review as we appreciate you taking the time. We love to see you had a great time on the course and we hope you will book another round with us soon here in Silver Lake Golf Course.

Better management would improve painfully slow play

Our visit was a pretty bad experience and it is such a shame. This is a cheap and cheerful course close to the city. It is actually very well looked after. It should be a great go-to place for people living in the city. However, what lets it down is horrific slow play. After 9 holes, we had taken 3.5 hours and we ended up walking off (this is for a short course with plenty of short par 4s). There are a couple of bottlenecks on the course where you have two holes with blind tee shots (one being a short par 5) right after each other. The inevitable result is that you have 4-5 groups backing up waiting on each tee. Course design quirks like this can normally be managed by good first-tee-starter management but this place is run by what appears to be the grumpiest group of elderly people the golf world has even seen. The tee time you book appears to be just a suggestion on when to show up. Anyone appears to be able to just walk up and tee off whenever they want and they send plenty of people off on the 10th tee, which then compounds the problem later on. Seriously, if someone was to put a bit of care/investment into this place (golf shop was a temporary hut with nearly zero products and the bar/restaurant looks as if it hasn't seen new paint since the 1970s), it would be super popular and they would be able to charge double the price. I really wanted to like this place but they make it so difficult.

Response from on 08/27/2018:
We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We will take a look at each one of the suggestions you provided to make for a beter round and faster pace of play. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Nice layout and good conditions for a muni course. Slow pace thou

Enjoyed my first outing. Nice condition, staff and easy day except I wish they would have a ranger. To play at 6:40am and still be near 5 hours is not good. I think they need to remind players to keep up and play ready golf

Response from on 07/31/2018:
We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. It is great to see you had an enjoyable time on the course and we hope you join us for another round soon here at Silver Lake Golf Course.

Nice and neat

As a Manhattanite, my travels to the course is a scenic boat ride and short bus ride to this well manicured , neat golf course .. It's a simple game , fairways and greens . Missing the fairways from the tee will reflect on your scorecard . But there are ample areas to chip and putt to the pins . Thankfully the rough is not penal which allows for brisk pace of play . I love the complexity of the greens and pin placements . It is "no birdiefest" .
I will be back soon !

Response from on 07/23/2018:

Of course very well maintained people are friendly love it very much play as much as possible when I get a chance ,love silver lake golf course

Response from on 07/11/2018:
Thank you so much for the 5-star review as we appreciate you taking the time. We love to see you had a great time on the course and we hope you will book another round with us soon.
Response from on 07/11/2018:
We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. It is great to see you had an enjoyable time on the course and we hope you join us for another round soon.

Nope.

It was the 4th of July. I fully expected a busy day at a public golf course, but this was too much. I walked into the pro shop at 8:45 for a 9:40 tee time and was greeted with a very angry person who told me I was way too early, and needed to come back later. Happy Independence Day to you, too! Not sure why you couldn’t just swipe my card and give me a receipt, but okay.

Anyway, I rolled a few putts on the acorn laden practice green before paying my $65 and getting in my cart. It was 10 minutes before my tee time and there were no less than 10 groups ahead of me in line. I ended up teeing off around 10:30 AM, 50 minutes later than the time I booked.

Prior to teeing off, I learned that there was league play schedule for 20 golfers, and 52 showed up. First of all, why schedule league play on a holiday? Second of all, why would you let everyone out knowing that you have a full slate of tee times following the 20 registered players? Just ridiculous. 5.5 hours later the round was over. There was not a single shot besides a putt I was able to walk up to and hit without a considerable wait.

Also, the tee boxes were chewed up beyond recognition and the greens were dotted with unrepaired ball marks — although I can’t blame the course for players not fixing ball marks.

Layout was solid, and aside from the tee boxes it was generally well maintained. Short course, decent layout, but I’ll never go back.

Response from on 07/11/2018:
Response from on 07/02/2018:
We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon here at Silver Lake Golf Course.

Excellent course in excellent shape

Course was in phenomenal shape. Greens were lightning fast. You had to land the ball on the front otherwise it went over the green even with a wedge in your hand. The only critical thing would be the tee boxes being rock hard and having lots of unrelated divots on them.

Response from on 06/20/2018:
Thank you Rob so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at Silver Lake Golf Club in New York.

Haven’t played here in years...

I’m sorry I have played here in so long due to all the wet spots but I’m happy to say it’s not like I remembered. The course was in great shape aside from 1 or 2 spots but if you keep it on the fairway they will not be a problem. Will definitely be back for sure

Response from on 06/13/2018:
Thank you so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

Silver Lake 6-3-18

Booked the 5:08am tee time. Staff was great. Course was challenging and in good shape. A few holes were really soggy and could probably use some work for better drainage.

Response from on 06/06/2018:
Thank you Altigua38 so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.
Response from on 06/01/2018:

First Timer at Silver Lake

Felt good throughout my round, because the staff was quite friendly and patient. Along with the challenging holes, it made for a welcoming environment for this amateur. Would gladly return!

Response from on 05/29/2018:
We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.
Response from on 05/29/2018:
Thank you tirkinas so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soo here at Silver Lake Golf Course.
Commented on 05/22/2018

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Response from on 05/22/2018:
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and for the 5 stars! we are happy to hear you enjoyed your round and hope to see you again soon.
Response from on 05/08/2018:
Thank you Gary2004 for your review of Silver Lake Golf Club here in Staten Island, NY. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to have you back again very soon!

All great but the hole changer

Workers are friendly and nice. My issues was the guy that changes the cup placement on the greens. I used to work at a course on the island. We would change the cups traveling the holes backwards. 18,17,16....so on. For some reason they change them here in order from 1,2,3.... so just about every hole we played we had to wait for the guy to get off the green because we didnt want to hit him. We played the first 16 holes this way. He was friendly and would wave us up, but still, we opted to wait for safety. When you change them backwards you can only run into people once. Other than that this course is in better shape then the other two on the island.

Response from on 05/08/2018:
Thank you TurtleL18 as we appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon here at Silver Lake Golf Course in New York.
Bayonne, New Jersey